HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van by the deadline

Old
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Boondock

vCash: 500
Van by the deadline

I was going to post this on the Canuck board, but I'm looking for other fans input

I think the Canucks can push for a cup this year, they seem to have most of the pieces they need. I would like to see the canucks do 3 things:

1) Move Bieksa - when Salo returns we'll need the cap space
2) Get a 4th line center
3) Get an upgrade to Alberts as our #6 dman

I'm not expecting much for Bieksa, a pick or mid-level prospect or 4th line C or #6 dman

4th line C in the mold of Talbot, Reasoner, Steckle

6th dman such as Montador, Allen

Who's available, what would they be looking for in return, who might take a chance on Bieksa??

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I was going to post this on the Canuck board, but I'm looking for other fans input

I think the Canucks can push for a cup this year, they seem to have most of the pieces they need. I would like to see the canucks do 3 things:

2) Get a 4th line center

I'm not expecting much for Bieksa, a pick or mid-level prospect or 4th line C or #6 dman

Who's available, what would they be looking for in return, who might take a chance on Bieksa??
Alberts is playing very well, and I don't think many Canucks fans (including myself) would want to move him.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Alberts is playing very well, and I don't think many Canucks fans (including myself) would want to move him.
I wouldn't move him, just bump him to 7th, and upgrade. I think he's fine 12 games into the season, but he's slow and I think he'll get eaten alive in the playoffs, especially on the road where the home team has last change, and can put speed out on the wings against him.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
I wouldn't move him, just bump him to 7th, and upgrade. I think he's fine 12 games into the season, but he's slow and I think he'll get eaten alive in the playoffs, especially on the road where the home team has last change, and can put speed out on the wings against him.
He is very large and physical.
He has been playing surprisingly well defensively.
You can't only have speedy defensemen, you also need physical guys.

In the playoffs, the top 4 d-men will be playing for the majority of the time. So Alberts wont be playing for too long.
We should be perfectly fine with him.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Neester

I think the important thing is that the Canucks cannot add significant pieces near the deadline. The last few years (maybe more?) have shown that only small tweaks at or around the deadline provide success (ok, maybe not always, but let's say Hossa to Pitt was an exception). I'd also like the Canucks, barring cap considerations, make the move for a 4th line centre earlier in the year to give them more time to adjust to the new player (and for him to adjust to the team). I personally think the defense is fine because you can switch Alberts and Rome if either is having a tough series

Neester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
crazycanuck

If Gillis can get an upgrade for Alberts he'll do it but he won't overpay, and be searching activelly as long as Alberts plays like he has been.

The #1 issue right now is getting a true center for the 4th line. Maybe adding some speed to it as well.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

I would love it if the Canucks could get John Madden.
He is a veteran center with a lot of playoff experience (and has a few cup rings). He is durable and very good defensively. He also has good speed and work-ethic.

The main issue is that it is a same-division team, so he might be very difficult to get.

Old
11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

These are the things we could do..

- Make a move for a top defenseman like Suter (just an example). This would only happen if we had an injury to a key defenseman that would last over the entire playoffs or if Salo never comes back (unlikely).

- Make a move for a top 6 scoring RW. If Samuelsson doesn't find his touch and needs to be moved down to the 3rd, we'll need a legit top 6 winger to carry the load. I don't expect we will, I have faith in Sammy.

- 4th line center. This is crucial.. A big guy who can PK and is good on faceoffs would be great.

This is the way I see it.. Aside from this we just need as much depth as possible to try to string together a long playoff run. We do have a good deal of depth already, but we may need more by the deadline if there are injuries.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Boondock

I would love for the Canucks to go after Butler in Buffalo, what would it take to get him? Then you have a top 7 dmen (after moving Bieksa) of

Salo / Edler
Hamhuis / Ehrhoff
Ballard / Butler
Alberts

Old
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Love how only other Van fans have been in on this topic, essentially meaning this could have been posted on the Van board haha

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Love how only other Van fans have been in on this topic, essentially meaning this could have been posted on the Van board haha
Yeah, pretty much.
But the original plan was to get fans of other teams posting here too.

Anywho, after a quick chat with a couple of Wild fans, I found out that if Minnesota was out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline, they would be willing to trade John Madden for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
And I'm sure we could get a 3rd round pick for Bieksa, so we would just need to find a team that would be willing to take him (maybe Washington or Columbus).

That would solve our 4th line center problem (although it would be late in the season).

We could trade Bieksa within the next month (instead of waiting to trade him at the deadline, so we save some cap space), and when the deadline comes around, we use the draft pick (or our own pick) to get Madden.

P.S. Yes, I know that fans ≠ GM of the team.

Old
11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
HemskyToHall*

I was thinking maybe they could pick up a pending UFA goalie rental as Luongo can sometimes have a meltdown in the playoffs and Cory Schneider is too risky imo. Target a Roloson or something.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
I was thinking maybe they could pick up a pending UFA goalie rental as Luongo can sometimes have a meltdown in the playoffs and Cory Schneider is too risky imo. Target a Roloson or something.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.
But the original plan was to get fans of other teams posting here too.

Anywho, after a quick chat with a couple of Wild fans, I found out that if Minnesota was out of the playoff picture by the trade deadline, they would be willing to trade John Madden for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
And I'm sure we could get a 3rd round pick for Bieksa, so we would just need to find a team that would be willing to take him (maybe Washington or Columbus).

That would solve our 4th line center problem (although it would be late in the season).

We could trade Bieksa within the next month (instead of waiting to trade him at the deadline, so we save some cap space), and when the deadline comes around, we use the draft pick (or our own pick) to get Madden.

P.S. Yes, I know that fans ≠ GM of the team.
Madden would be awesome. I was also looking at Reasoner - he's exactly what we need, gritty vet who kills penalties, and has a 57% FOW

Old
11-09-2010, 05:35 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
I would love it if the Canucks could get John Madden.
He is a veteran center with a lot of playoff experience (and has a few cup rings). He is durable and very good defensively. He also has good speed and work-ethic.

The main issue is that it is a same-division team, so he might be very difficult to get.
We already have a John Madden-esque player in Manny Malhotra. Besides, he just signed with the Wild in the off-season... unless he's having problems with the team/management, etc. in Minny, I don't see him wanting out, nor do I see Fletcher trading him at the deadline.

I think we have a great team as is... only minor tweaking (if any) should be required at the deadline. Strange as it sounds, I'm weary of bringing in too many pieces that may not mesh well with our team (see: Washington at last year's trade deadline).

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd really like Samuel Pahlsson for the Jackets, maybe something around Bieksa and Pahlsson?

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
@thread

The only thing Vancouver needs to do is get Ballard in game shape and get Sammuelsson's head out of his ass.

*edit* Oh yeah and trade Bieksa, obviously.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
We already have a John Madden-esque player in Manny Malhotra. Besides, he just signed with the Wild in the off-season... unless he's having problems with the team/management, etc. in Minny, I don't see him wanting out, nor do I see Fletcher trading him at the deadline.

I think we have a great team as is... only minor tweaking (if any) should be required at the deadline. Strange as it sounds, I'm weary of bringing in too many pieces that may not mesh well with our team (see: Washington at last year's trade deadline).
We are only talking about a 4th line center (that probably wouldn't play more than 8 mins per game).
And what's wrong with having two Malholtra-type players? Manny is playing great.
That's why we have two Sedins instead of only one.

(My logic is flawless)

Old
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:

2) Get a 4th line center

Salo has to get healthy before we think about moving Bieksa. And why do you upgrade on Alberts? he's been awesome for us this year.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
defer*

Quote:

2) Get a 4th line center

Marchant+Voros

Bieksa

vis-Lyd
Mara-Fowler
Sutton-Bieksa

pretty deep. Not gonna happen though sry.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Just a thought... why not trade Salo and Bieksa for a better dman? Salo seems to be always hurt.. so trade him or someone more durable and that can do the same thing.

TheKingSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Just a thought... why not trade Salo and Bieksa for a better dman? Salo seems to be always hurt.. so trade him or someone more durable and that can do the same thing.
Salo has a NTC, and when he is healthy, he's a very good defenseman.

And how many teams would be able to take on both of Salo's and Bieksa's salaries (and would give up a good defenseman for them)?

Also, Salo will be the only Canucks defenseman with a right handed shot (if Bieksa gets traded).

Old
11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
MrSerious

A psychologist for Luongo?

MrSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I would hope that we would make Madden available, should we fall out of the race at the deadline. As the asking price goes, I would hope for a 3rd, accept a 4th and be ecstatic with a 2nd.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Boondock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Salo has to get healthy before we think about moving Bieksa. And why do you upgrade on Alberts? he's been awesome for us this year.
Did you watch the game tonight? Couldn't knock Gomez off the puck, was floating around not marking anyone on the first goal, couldn't clear the zone when the Habs almost scored a second right after their first goal. Took a stupid 4 minute high sticking penalty, was in the box when the Habs made it 2-0, made a stupid cross ice pass to Eller in his own zone, and he was able to do all this while playing just over 10 minutes.

He was below average in the lastest Colorado and Edmonton games, and looked slow in the 2nd game vs LA. I would feel a lot better with him in the press box come playoff time