HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

NHL/Refs Conspiracy To Undermine Panthers Organization!!!

Old
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
panthersfan751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Ok, fine if ref thought it was a borderline call but what reason did he decide to allow goal instead of disallow? Why did he lean towards Toronto instead of Florida? Because they are a traditional hockey market and we aren't? cause they have more real hockey fans then we do? Cause the game was in Toronto and he didn't want to get booed by the crowd? all of those are a reason for conspiracy as to why Florida is always on the short end of these borderline type calls!
Very good question, and I have yet to see an answer from someone who thinks the officiating is OK.

When was the last time a bad call went in our favor? For that matter, when was the last time any close call ever went this team's way? And yet there's been numerous times throughout the past decade that we've gotten shafted with phantom penalties and no-calls that should have been penalties that ultimately cost us games.

Beezer is exactly right. We've been on the short end of these calls for far too long for this to just merely be a coincidence.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
How is it not the league's fault? Unless there was a rule that stated "any team that had first overall picks in years before a lockout draft will be docked ping pong balls," on the books before the event, then they made it up. Why shouldn't teams with the 2nd overall pick in drafts be docked? Why shouldn't the teams that used the 1st overall picks be docked? Since when is being awful in the past something that should prevent teams from getting better? There's no way of defending that, unless there was a rule on the books that I was unaware of, and even if there was, it'd be a very shady rule.
They did. The way the lottery went after the lockout was that every team had 3 balls minus one for each time they either made the playoffs in the previous 3 years or had gotten the 1st overall pick of the previous 4. That left the Pens, Sabres, Jackets and Rags with 3 balls each (of 48) in the lottery barrel.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:27 PM
TheMightyPanther85

Well we now have a respectable GM who will make a legitimate fuss if the team gets wronged in any way now so chances are that those bad calls will become fewer and fewer as time goes by IMO. In the past I don't recall the NHL ever apologizing for (much less acknowledging) bad calls the way they did after the Toronto game. To me that shows that the team is starting to regain some of the respect they had before.

TheMightyPanther85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:42 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
They did. The way the lottery went after the lockout was that every team had 3 balls minus one for each time they either made the playoffs in the previous 3 years or had gotten the 1st overall pick of the previous 4. That left the Pens, Sabres, Jackets and Rags with 3 balls each (of 48) in the lottery barrel.
I know that that was the rule, but was it in place well prior to the lockout, or was it just one of these rules made up at the last second? It just didn't seem like a necessary rule, especially because a team could get the second overall pick and not lose anything. There's nothing that special about one, as opposed to two, most years. If anything, it needed to be weighted out differently, where teams that, say picked in the top three, lost a certain percentage of opportunities. Singling out only the first overalls, and literally destroying their chances with each ping pong ball docked was completely unnecessary and ridiculous.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Adamg0013

there is a nhl bias... and Sadly Florida get the short end of the stick most of the time, if your not a original 6, first expansion, or don't have a big star player... your going to get hated on by nhl elitist.

Adamg0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:43 AM
harv3317

the bottom line is that there are traditional hockey markets that don't have teams and would love to get the panthers. this weighs in sub-consciously, if not directly in all this. many die hards feel that we should not have a hockey team. hopefully we become successful again and that changes!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:05 AM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

I think some of it probably also has to do with a natural bias towards star players. In baseball, Mariano Rivera is going to get the strike call that maybe Chris Volstad might not. Kobe and Lebron are going to get free throws more often than not. We haven't had a star player since Bure, so we haven't had anybody to garner than benefit of the doubt in a long time.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
And then there's this! Everyone remembers when refs held Bryan Allen for Tarnasky to deck him right? How many games did Allen miss because of that again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpa3P4gG3AI://
That wasn't a deliberate attempt to stick it to the Panthers, come on this thread is getting a bit ridiculous.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Very good question, and I have yet to see an answer from someone who thinks the officiating is OK.

When was the last time a bad call went in our favor? For that matter, when was the last time any close call ever went this team's way? And yet there's been numerous times throughout the past decade that we've gotten shafted with phantom penalties and no-calls that should have been penalties that ultimately cost us games.

Beezer is exactly right. We've been on the short end of these calls for far too long for this to just merely be a coincidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyPanther85 View Post
Well we now have a respectable GM who will make a legitimate fuss if the team gets wronged in any way now so chances are that those bad calls will become fewer and fewer as time goes by IMO. In the past I don't recall the NHL ever apologizing for (much less acknowledging) bad calls the way they did after the Toronto game. To me that shows that the team is starting to regain some of the respect they had before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg0013 View Post
there is a nhl bias... and Sadly Florida get the short end of the stick most of the time, if your not a original 6, first expansion, or don't have a big star player... your going to get hated on by nhl elitist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
the bottom line is that there are traditional hockey markets that don't have teams and would love to get the panthers. this weighs in sub-consciously, if not directly in all this. many die hards feel that we should not have a hockey team. hopefully we become successful again and that changes!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
I think some of it probably also has to do with a natural bias towards star players. In baseball, Mariano Rivera is going to get the strike call that maybe Chris Volstad might not. Kobe and Lebron are going to get free throws more often than not. We haven't had a star player since Bure, so we haven't had anybody to garner than benefit of the doubt in a long time.
I agree that not having a superstar on the ice is part of the problem but at the same time the NHL has done nothing to stop the diving issue. Not saying it happens all the time but for us who play a team like Carolina many times, we see it happen more often then it should. And sadly because it's star players doing it the ref gives them the benefit of the doubt. I really wish the NHL implemented a red flag type rule that you could challenge a call to go to replay like the NFL. I mean why not? If you lose the challenge, you lose your time out. And you could only challenge one time each game. It won't slow down or delay the game much. I think if they did this it would help eliminate alot of these Phantom calls/no calls because refs would not want to look foolish and have to overturn a bonehead call all the time.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That wasn't a deliberate attempt to stick it to the Panthers, come on this thread is getting a bit ridiculous.
Ok, just got a bit carried away. I'm just fet up with this topic and it's been building since 10yrs ago. I agree it wasn't deliberate but I guess I just wanted to show how even undeliberately refs get in our way.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:11 AM
flapanthersfan

doesn't really add any fuel to the fire - but an interesting read nonetheless considering the gregory campbell references (when he used to play here...)

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3518

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
pantherbot

the funny thing about what's come out of those e-mail exchanges is that people are saying having gregory campbell on your team is a plus when in fact we were pretty atrocious in the penalty:powerplay ratio while he was here. if anything, having campbell meant they had to be tougher on the panthers to make sure there weren't any signs of favoritism.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I knew we would be posting in this thread again before too long! Another game(3rd this season if I'm not mistaken), and yet another BIG TIME bonehead decision by the refs! Why can't they just review it when a team asks?

BTW, this same thing happened a couple years ago when Brett MacLean said he scored and wanted a review and ref told him NO! Replay showed it was in the net of course, and it was a tie game at the time I believe.

Old
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Dude, I'm sorry, but this thread is just embarrassing. There's no conspiracy. There's no way in hell a ref would be able to think that fast to call off a goal, and I've seen this happen plenty of times to other teams. Further, if there was a conspiracy, Higgins would've been (wrongly) whistled offside, but he wasn't. It was just a dumb move by human referees.

01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Dude, I'm sorry, but this thread is just embarrassing. There's no conspiracy. There's no way in hell a ref would be able to think that fast to call off a goal, and I've seen this happen plenty of times to other teams. Further, if there was a conspiracy, Higgins would've been (wrongly) whistled offside, but he wasn't. It was just a dumb move by human referees.
Why not go to review???????????????????????????????????????????

Because they didn't want to go to review, not because Deboer didn't call a timeout.

And btw these Phantom calls/non-calls are starting to pile up specially this season.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:05 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
If there is any "reason" for it, it is an unconscious bias on the part of some officials against a southern market (which I doubt). The NHL has absolutely nothing to gain by conspiring against the Panthers.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:50 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
If there is any "reason" for it, it is an unconscious bias on the part of some officials against a southern market (which I doubt). The NHL has absolutely nothing to gain by conspiring against the Panthers.

agreed. I don't think the NHL wants to see the Panthers fail ,but individuals (refs) who don't believe hockey belongs in the south might.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

They're BAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

Tom Kowal, Francois StLaurent....suck my eggs ****heads.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Erick

I don't know.

The last two games there were two plays that really could've gone either way, and it ended up being 50/50. We got one call, and didn't get the other call.

All in all, the team needs to be better defensively.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Are we really going to dredge this up again? Teams have calls go both ways, it may seem like it's against us, but you'd be surprised how many team's fans feel this way. This call was just 1 game removed from a call that WENT our way and probably saved the game against Buffalo. It happens, move on.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:50 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
agreed. I don't think the NHL wants to see the Panthers fail ,but individuals (refs) who don't believe hockey belongs in the south might.
these guys are graded on their performance every night. that type of bias would not go unnoticed.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Acadmus

I won't buy into this conspiracy thing per se, but I will egg it on...

Panthers/Hurricanes rivalry...what really spawned our hate for the "Divercanes"? The refs - they were calling phantom penalties on the Panthers anytime a 'Cane dropped to the ice (remember Eddie the Eagle's frustration at this getting the better of him one game?), game after game for three years, yet on no fewer than 3 occasions over two seasons completely ignored 'Canes players high sticking Panthers' players in the face and drawing blood, which under the rules is an automatic 5-minute major. This is despite the fact we had video on at least two of those showing the referee looking RIGHT AT THE INFRACTION.

Then there were the 3 times either last season or the season before where the refs disallowed key goals by the Panthers preventing them from winning games. In each case video review showed they were clearly goals. One of them was blatant enough and it was happening so much that season that I believe our GM lodged a complaint with the league that yielded an apology from the league but nothing else. But the refs didn't go to video review. Really think it was two seasons ago. Memory's fuzzy because I'm not sitting here stewing on conspiracy theories

11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
16Skippy

Umm can we lock this thread? Every team gets bad calls against them.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
Umm can we lock this thread? Every team gets bad calls against them.
No.

Beezer stated in the OP he wasn't really serious about this thread, but it does provide a good place for people to vent their years of frustrations over bad, game-changing calls by refs that seem to have plagued the Panthers far more than the average team.

It's one thing to say "wow, the ref blew it we should'a had a power play and maybe could have scored". It's another when your complaints are along the lines of "they waved off an obvious legit goal with 1 minute to play, costing our team the game" or "Our guy just went down with a season-ending injury after that other guy boarded him in front of the ref, and there was no call on it!"

Refs have made a habit of bringing their "B" game when reffing Panthers games for the past decade. Why not openly discuss if they've got it out for our team? At the least it lets people let off steam. Might as well let people get it out of their system for another year or two.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:10 PM
KWGoon

Conspiracy is the wrong word, because I don't believe there is an organized effort of any kind against or for any team. However, on an individual basis, refs are human, and nor immune to what the standings are or what the score in the game is or what the significance of the game is. Refs may be different from the league offices, but I'm pretty sure if the league got their pick for stanley cup finals there would be some pretty big market original six present. Does that influence anybody, particularly refs? No idea.

But the non high stick reversal yesterday was a joke.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote