HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Price and Subban, the future of MTL for the next 10 years

Old
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
Price and Subban, the future of MTL for the next 10 years

Price and Subban will be the deciding factor of how well we do for the next ten years, every team has two or three players that make the team and define its characteristics going forward.

Kane, Toews and Keith in Chicago,
Kessel, Phaneuf in Toronto.
Crosby, Malkin, Staal In Pittsburgh

Etc.

For us these two players define our team our future, and whether or not we contend as time goes on. As long as these two players remain playing at their current level (and improving till they peak) I think this team will be competitive for a long time. They bring a work ethic to the team, In prices case from experience, that will make us work hard for years.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:13 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
Price and Subban will be the deciding factor of how well we do for the next ten years, every team has two or three players that make the team and define its characteristics going forward.

Kane, Toews and Keith in Chicago,
Kessel, Phaneuf in Toronto.
Crosby, Malkin, Staal In Pittsburgh

Etc.

For us these two players define our team our future, and whether or not we contend as time goes on. As long as these two players remain playing at their current level (and improving till they peak) I think this team will be competitive for a long time. They bring a work ethic to the team, In prices case from experience, that will make us work hard for years.

Do the Habs have still a player that is with them since 10 years ?

In todays' NHL, it is very rare that a player spend more than 5-6 years with the same club.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

In todays' NHL, it is very rare that a player spend more than 5-6 years with the same club.
Andrei Markov has been on the team for about 10 years. Not sure who comes in second, even though I could easily find out, however I doubt it's anywhere close to him.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Andy

Price and Subban are definitely part of the long-term core going forward. I expect Eller to be part of the list within the next year and a half along with Plekanec.

Price
Subban
Eller
Plekanec

That is not a bad core at all moving forward. Another guy who could be apart of it as well is Leblanc. He's going to be a great player. Not a first line player, but he will be a part of Montreal's future. I love Eller, but I've never been so excited about a prospect like I have been with Leblanc, his pre-season play was outstanding for a player his age playing so few games in the college leagues.

If Eller pans out into a two-way 2nd line centerman(which I think he will), Montreal is looking good.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
Andrei Markov has been on the team for about 10 years. Not sure who comes in second, even though I could easily find out, however I doubt it's anywhere close to him.
Projecting 10 years forward in the future is useless.

Let's take advantage of these players' potential NOW.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommallionta View Post
I believe Plekanec is the only other player still here from pre-lockout. He played 2 games that year.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
LastChancePrice

I wonder how well our team will look like in 2012-2013 when both Subban and Price will be RFA.

Out top four forward soulhd still be here (Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec , Cammalleri ) taking already 23.3 millions ouf out sap space.

Let say they ink back Markov at a close to similar deal ( 6 to 6.5 a season ). And with these 4 players, were at 30 millions.

Well that give us 30 millions or about ( assuming cap will be at around 60 millions ) to sign two goaltender, nine forward and six dmen.

Price will surely ask for 6 millions a season deal if he continue to play like this, and as for Subban, we can hope for a second contract that he would sign at around 3 or 4 millions a season. Unless both player are not playing at their top like they do atm, it will cost certaintly that and im wondering if its not more.

Now were at about 20 millions left to sign 5 dmen, 9 forward and a back up. Let say that their bottom five forward Habs decide to invest about 3.5 millions total for the 4th line and two backup( Darche,Lapierre,Boyd,Halpern,Pyatt , or whatever player they can fill these last 5 spots, but with a total budget of 3.5 millions

That give us 16.5 millions remaining for 4 forwards, 5 dmen and a backup. I expect Georges to sign for something around 2.5 millions a season, if its not even 3 millions. The guy is very good at defence and imo will worth the money.

That now give us 13.5 millions to sign 4 forward, 4 dmen and a backup. Eller? How good will he be? Will he have a long career? Thats a good question mark. But let say they want ti give him mroe time, i would say he can get 1.5 million if he can pull it together.

Were at 11 millions for 4 forward , 4 dmen and a backup. Eller won probably be a second line forward, but we never know, and the habs still need two good forward to get with the top four. If AKost play good and we keep him, we could say he would want something like 4 millions a season.Or any forward at that salary, by 12-13, the team might have change.

So...were at 7 millions to get a forward for our second line, and two decent 3rd liner, and add defensive muscle to our defence only compose for now by Markov, Subban and Georges, We neeed an extra top 4 line defence , and that can cost us around 3.5,4 million. The bottom three in defence can cost us around 2.5 millions, whoever they are, but if u do the math.... that give us finally.... 1 million to sign that second line forward, two decend 3rd liner and a back up.

We got...no space. Unless the cap will increase to 63-64 millions, were in trouble in 2012-2013 because for our core, we will need Markov,Price,Subban, and these three guy will have the opportinity to ask a lot of money.

I really think we might be in trouble in 12-13,cause our team will not look better if we cant add offence to our top 4 or if we have to get weaker in net by not getting an extra top four dmen. Tough choice will be made, and my only hope, is that Gauthier dont spend stupidly by adding another veteran dmen longterm next season to replace hammer, cause we will need the money by when Price and Subban will become RFA.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
MM425

Quote:

That was the trend in the pre-lockout NHL.

Today, teams are keeping their young talent and locking them up to long term deals.

We're going to see the return of players spending their entire careers with 1 franchise, I imagine.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remember when Higgins and Komisarek were the future?

Yeah don't dwell on it, these things change very fast.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:58 PM
FuriousBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post
I wonder how well our team will look like in 2012-2013 when both Subban and Price will be RFA.

Out top four forward soulhd still be here (Gomez, Gionta, Plekanec , Cammalleri ) taking already 23.3 millions ouf out sap space.

Let say they ink back Markov at a close to similar deal ( 6 to 6.5 a season ). And with these 4 players, were at 30 millions.

Well that give us 30 millions or about ( assuming cap will be at around 60 millions ) to sign two goaltender, nine forward and six dmen.

Price will surely ask for 6 millions a season deal if he continue to play like this, and as for Subban, we can hope for a second contract that he would sign at around 3 or 4 millions a season. Unless both player are not playing at their top like they do atm, it will cost certaintly that and im wondering if its not more.

Now were at about 20 millions left to sign 5 dmen, 9 forward and a back up. Let say that their bottom five forward Habs decide to invest about 3.5 millions total for the 4th line and two backup( Darche,Lapierre,Boyd,Halpern,Pyatt , or whatever player they can fill these last 5 spots, but with a total budget of 3.5 millions

That give us 16.5 millions remaining for 4 forwards, 5 dmen and a backup. I expect Georges to sign for something around 2.5 millions a season, if its not even 3 millions. The guy is very good at defence and imo will worth the money.

That now give us 13.5 millions to sign 4 forward, 4 dmen and a backup. Eller? How good will he be? Will he have a long career? Thats a good question mark. But let say they want ti give him mroe time, i would say he can get 1.5 million if he can pull it together.

Were at 11 millions for 4 forward , 4 dmen and a backup. Eller won probably be a second line forward, but we never know, and the habs still need two good forward to get with the top four. If AKost play good and we keep him, we could say he would want something like 4 millions a season.Or any forward at that salary, by 12-13, the team might have change.

So...were at 7 millions to get a forward for our second line, and two decent 3rd liner, and add defensive muscle to our defence only compose for now by Markov, Subban and Georges, We neeed an extra top 4 line defence , and that can cost us around 3.5,4 million. The bottom three in defence can cost us around 2.5 millions, whoever they are, but if u do the math.... that give us finally.... 1 million to sign that second line forward, two decend 3rd liner and a back up.

We got...no space. Unless the cap will increase to 63-64 millions, were in trouble in 2012-2013 because for our core, we will need Markov,Price,Subban, and these three guy will have the opportinity to ask a lot of money.

I really think we might be in trouble in 12-13,cause our team will not look better if we cant add offence to our top 4 or if we have to get weaker in net by not getting an extra top four dmen. Tough choice will be made, and my only hope, is that Gauthier dont spend stupidly by adding another veteran dmen longterm next season to replace hammer, cause we will need the money by when Price and Subban will become RFA.
Let's just hope our prospect will be ready to come play with the big club. If any of Pacioretty/Palushaj/Eller/Desharnais/Maxwell/Leblanc/Avstin can take over as a top 6 player I think we would be fine.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

This is what you do when you put your future in the hands of a couple Americans!

omg it's a joke!

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:13 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgivemePrice View Post

You worry to much, Carey will never get 6 million on his next contract unless he wins us the Cup or a Vezina (here's hoping), 4M is much more likely based on Halak, Hiller, Lehtonen.

PK will be on his second contract they can give him a 2 year deal similar to Erik Johnsons 2.6-3M. AK46 will be about 4M though I would say if we intend to keep him.

I expect Eller(2nd), Palushaj(2/3), Pacioretty(3rd) to cheaply fill top 9 roles and players like Nash, Tinordi, Carle should cheaply fill atleast 1 spot on the D.

All that plus the fact that the Cap should be about 65M in 12-13 based on reports that it may raise to 63M next year means there should be plenty of room to work. Also buying out Gomez or trading him becomes alot more feasible in 12-13 if there really is a problem and he hasn't turned his game up.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:40 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Price and Subban are definitely part of the long-term core going forward. I expect Eller to be part of the list within the next year and a half along with Plekanec.

Price
Subban
Eller
Plekanec

That is not a bad core at all moving forward. Another guy who could be apart of it as well is Leblanc. He's going to be a great player. Not a first line player, but he will be a part of Montreal's future. I love Eller, but I've never been so excited about a prospect like I have been with Leblanc, his pre-season play was outstanding for a player his age playing so few games in the college leagues.

If Eller pans out into a two-way 2nd line centerman(which I think he will), Montreal is looking good.
This. You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking, except for the part of Leblanc not being a first-line player. I actually see Eller and Leblanc as future 1A and 1B centres.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Projecting 10 years forward in the future is useless.

Let's take advantage of these players' potential NOW.
This, the habs have a decent window of opportunity open right now with a strong veteren defensive system and bunch of young guys playing below their pay grade. I expect another good playoff run if everyone is healthy.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Remember when Theodore was top 5 in the league ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Bullsmith

These two are certainly core elements to build around. Markov and Pleks are in their primes and at their best can be impact players on a contende as well. Cammy could be in that group too, he certainly was during last year's playoffs. That's five guys who, if they play their best can be more than complimentary players. They can be game changers. Put the right package around them and Habs fans might have reason to hope for more playoff success in the coming years. I sure hope so.

I must say I love Gorges too, but you have to put a dollar limit on what his heart and drive are worth. I hope he signs a reasonable deal, but when Tony Marinaro asks "do you have to pay this guy 4 million?" the answer is emphatically no.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

Price and Subban are arguably franchise players, not the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Remember when Theodore was top 5 in the league ?
Is there a follow up to this?... I dont get it.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
David

Where's Pouliot?

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Where's Pouliot?
We've got to hang onto him, 24 and still progressing

not too many 6'3 player skate at his speed, it is an asset, he also happens to be able to hit.

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I would throw Gorges in as a guy who could be here for 10 years also. Not flashy, but essential.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Spectaculard
Trout125HR363RBI442R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
We've got to hang onto him, 24 and still progressing

not too many 6'3 player skate at his speed, it is an asset, he also happens to be able to hit.
Pouliot can hit alright. In fact, I think he's been our hardest hitter so far this year. His hits are shattering.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Question is....Do you think we'll have won a cup by then??..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Question is....Do you think we'll have won a cup by then??..
I listened to a great interview on Friday at the Hockey for the homeless event. Look up the balance & scoring of the 86 Habs & kinda figured that a team like that would about cost 117 million today.

It's not easy anymore, a City like Montreal now has to play the game equally. I hope they do win soon, it will be pushing close to 30 years if they haven't by then... This is why the best GM is more esential now than ever.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:36 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Quote:

Price
Subban
Eller
Plekanec

ELLER reminds me of a young Pleckanecs - like with Plecks, let's give him time/experience in the league before we get on his case! I like his game and potential to be a BUILDING block for us for years to come. I would add Louis Leblanc as well to that list! Can Kristo be a Granato like scorer?? (Tony, not Cammy).

I like the future!

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
I agree about Leblanc looking like a core player down the road but when exactly it was decided that his offensive potential wasn't there? We're talking about a guy who's been the best offensive player of his team since well I doubt he was playing with better pee-wees.

He destroyed the Midget league, in the once in a decade way. He was named the Ivy league rookie of the year. He's producing at a 100 points pace in the Q while being +11 in 18 games.

The work ethic is there and the will to improve and get better.

Why not a first line player?

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote