HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home away from home @ Montreal

Old
11-13-2010, 11:46 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Home away from home @ Montreal

Cam has great success there so far in his career going 6-0-1 and having a 1.55 gaa. Look for him t boune back in a big way. No official word on forwards but changes are expected.

Game is at 7 on fsn

This gdt brought to you by my phone sprint epic

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Excited for Cole to have a big game, as history suggests...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Speedy Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
Cam has great success there so far in his career going 6-0-1 and having a 1.55 gaa. Look for him t boune back in a big way. No official word on forwards but changes are expected.

Game is at 7 on fsn

Same lines confirmed by Chip.

Speedy Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Damn...thought a bit of a changeup would mak sense

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Paging Tim Gleason and Brandon Sutter.

11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Chicago Made Punk
MVP #BoltUp

Let's go canes. 3-2 canes. Staal, Dwyer, The Anton.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:45 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Anton View Post
and also by

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:14 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Russian View Post
Same lines confirmed by Chip.
Not unhappy with that, there's redemption needed. Not changing anything is Mo saying "Here's your chance to not play like such p******, and beat a good team".

The only thing that desperately needs changing is to play harder-nosed in our own end and more responsibly (2nd line in particular) and not allow so many good chances close-in. Avoiding dumb mistakes would also help enormously. Allowing only 26 SOG against Philly vs. 36 of our own wasn't bad, otherwise. IF they run up against something less than a Flyers-like D to wind up with better quality chances or a not-so-hot Price (not that that's likely), and/or have more than 1 line sustaining any pressure, it should be a much happier ending. In light of the last game, even avoiding embarrassment and shame = "happier". But winning is better.

Oh, I've resigned myself to knowing that asking for a PP and winning faceoffs is too much. So how about just one or the other?

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 11-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:19 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Great promotional item idea: Carolina Hurricanes Milk Carton with a photo of Patrick O'Sullivan on it!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:55 PM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Great promotional item idea: Carolina Hurricanes Milk Carton with a photo of Patrick O'Sullivan on it!
There are several other "players" on the ice that have been missing too. I think a few of them have been abducted by aliens and replaced with pod people.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

I think we can pull out a win tonight, or at least a point

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Couldn't reply in the pre-game thread so I'll have to do it here.

Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone is talking about Ray Whitney and POS in the same post. POS isn't even a 20-goal guy, and unless your last name is Jagr having no defensive upside and/or lacking the ability to forecheck/hit is just another something this team doesn't need. Lack of offensive production isn't the problem. 49 GF on the season so far put us 7th in the league. The GA (53), on the other hand, is evidence of what needs to be fixed. 53 GA has us rubbing elbows with NJ, Edmonton, Buffalo, and NYI.

So what will POS, who in 73 games last season had a grand total of 7g and 14a (even strength), dealt only 32 hits, 191 SOG/.058, and was a -35 bring to the table something that this team needs exactly? Because by comparison (and just to annoy you) LaRose played only 56 games, but still bettered his gross numbers; 10g 17a (even strength, dealt 120 hits, 138 SOG/.080, and wound up at -2. They both had 1shorty, so I suppose that was equal.

Even his best seasons' stats in LA aren't anything that special when you subtract his PP numbers. Now, if you were arguing that we really need to try POS on our laughable, suffering PP to try and jump start it, I'd be completely down with that. Otherwise, given that the team's offensive production isn't that bad but our D game is horrendous, I don't see the point of the experiment because from what I can tell, he's pretty average offensively but defensively suspect.
I used Ray Whitney as an example because Ray is as about as effective as Josef Melichar defensively, but he still played productive minutes in a scoring role because he could contribute offensively. That is my point with O'Sullivan. No, I am not saying O'Sullivan is Ray Whitney in the offensive aspects of the game, but you'd have to be blind to think he doesn't 1. Have talent or 2. Likely be near tops on the team in terms of offensive capablilities. However, that was my point in terms of IF Maurice was to insert him into the line-up, he mise well atleast be in the top 9. Other than that, he won't do much for you. It's like reversing the role and playing Kostopoulos with Staal on the top line and on the PP, it's a useless role for him to be in, so why bother? The 4th line is a useless role for O'Sullivan, so why bother? He's got tools to likely be an effective player within the top 9 and possibly even on Staal's wing.

All I am saying is IF Maurice were to insert O'Sullivan into the line-up and take out whoever just to play Patrick on the 4th line with 7 minutes a game, it isn't likely going to make a single difference in the outcome of a game. Maurice said he may change things up and O'Sullivan may find his way into the line-up, my point was if you're going to insert him use him where he can likely excel, be effective and help the team (that to me is atleast in the top 9), and not on the 4th line eating the bench and playing peanuts for minutes. It's a useless move to insert him and just play him 7 minutes because it isn't going to change whether we win or lose. If you're going to change things up, change them with a purpose, not just for the 'sake of change' because we got blown out. Patrick O'Sullivan on the 4th line effects the team in no way, shape, or form, in my opinion.

My response in all of this was directly to that of Maurice saying O'Sullivan may get into the lineup. It's a wash move to just insert him on the 4th line and play him 7 minutes, you mise well keep who is there, there. Either use the guy in the top 9 or you might as well not even use him at all.

Lastly, I never said 'Insert O'Sullivan, this team is poor offensively and we need his offensive abilities in the line-up.' And I have no clue why you're comparing LaRose to O'Sullivan, but to each their own.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-13-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:50 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Over/Under for Cole's point total: 3.5

Discuss.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Anton View Post
Couldn't reply in the pre-game thread so I'll have to do it here.

I used Ray Whitney as an example because Ray is as about as effective as Josef Melichar defensively, but he still played productive minutes in a scoring role because he could contribute offensively. That is my point with O'Sullivan. No, I am not saying O'Sullivan is Ray Whitney in the offensive aspects of the game, but you'd have to be blind to think he doesn't 1. Have talent or 2. Likely be near tops on the team in terms of offensive capablilities. However, that was my point in terms of IF Maurice was to insert him into the line-up, he mise well atleast be in the top 9. Other than that, he won't do much for you. It's like reversing the role and playing Kostopoulos with Staal on the top line and on the PP, it's a useless role for him to be in, so why bother? The 4th line is a useless role for O'Sullivan, so why bother? He's got tools to likely be an effective player within the top 9 and possibly even on Staal's wing.

All I am saying is IF Maurice were to insert O'Sullivan into the line-up and take out whoever just to play Patrick on the 4th line with 7 minutes a game, it isn't likely going to make a single difference in the outcome of a game. Maurice said he may change things up and O'Sullivan may find his way into the line-up, my point was if you're going to insert him use him where he can likely excel, be effective and help the team (that to me is atleast in the top 9), and not on the 4th line eating the bench and playing peanuts for minutes. It's a useless move to insert him and just play him 7 minutes because it isn't going to change whether we win or lose. If you're going to change things up, change them with a purpose, not just for the 'sake of change' because we got blown out. Patrick O'Sullivan on the 4th line effects the team in no way, shape, or form, in my opinion.

My response in all of this was directly to that of Maurice saying O'Sullivan may get into the lineup. It's a wash move to just insert him on the 4th line and play him 7 minutes, you mise well keep who is there, there. Either use the guy in the top 9 or you might as well not even use him at all.

Lastly, I never said 'Insert O'Sullivan, this team is poor offensively and we need his offensive abilities in the line-up.' And I have no clue why you're comparing LaRose to O'Sullivan, but to each their own.
Well, you're higher on him than I am, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not convinced he's an offensive difference-maker or deserves to be branded as such, especially in light of his defensive downside which can certainly make a difference to the outcome of a game, but not in the way we would like against a good teams that captalize on soft or one-way play. Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be seeing him at some point, but I agree with Mo having the same line-up tonight to try and redeem themselves instead of line-juggling as a response to what was just too much poor effort and missed assignments.

(Including LaRose's comparative numbers was in answer to Erik Staal, who I also quoted. POSs non-PP numbers on offence are not better than LaRose's, and LaRose doesn't have the defensive downside. Until that changes, I'll defend him).

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
WWAD

Why do so many people have such a hard-on for POS?

POS = Waiver wire pick-up, league minimum salary player, with suspect defense, and fragile mental toughness, who put up decent point totals three years ago mainly because he was playing with Kopitar and Cammalleri, and has put up below league average points ever since.

I'd like to see him get some ice time too, but I'm not sure he is the answer to our problems....

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Go State... oops wrong thread

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post

POS = Waiver wire pick-up, league minimum salary player, with suspect defense, and fragile mental toughness, who put up decent point totals three years ago mainly because he was playing with Kopitar and Cammalleri, and has put up below league average points ever since.

I'd like to see him get some ice time too, but I'm not sure he is the answer to our problems....
Because, we have enough 3rd liners out there, that he deserves a 4-6 game run on a 3rd line to see what he has... The guy is young and has that little bit of playmaker we lack... He has scored 20/50 in his career already, many of our F will not approach that...

We just want to see what we have

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Mise well win this one. That would really tie me over.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Because people don't realize how good perennial all-star wingers Larose and Samsonov really are. Or something like that.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Mise well win this one. That would really tie me over.
Excellent!

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 881
Hey guys! Habs and Panthers fan here. Just wanted to share a picture I took this afternoon of some of your boys practicing for the game tonight. I realize we haven't won a game against your team in like forever on home ice and this is the only reason why.

I'm not sure if the picture shows it clearly or not, but the first person is Staal, then LaRose, next Cole, and last is Coach Mo himself. Oh, and since your sick team intentionally gouges our teams eyes with their sticks, they will be wearing these tonight.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Because people don't realize how good perennial all-star wingers Larose and Samsonov really are. Or something like that.
I shudder at what would happen if we were to put a soft, one-way waiver pick-up with mediocre offensive abilities on our first line. The world as we know it would cease to exist.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:48 PM
sueroe

Quote:

I don't know if he would be the answer to your problems either, but i can tell you that when he was with the kings he was a reliable two way forward in fact voted best defensive forward one year. When he did put up his points, he played over half the season with a number of 3rd and 4th liners so no his stats were not a result of playing with Kopitar and Cammalleri. Not to mention he rocked on the PK that season and i believe his es numbers were good. I have been rooting for him since he left LA but i guess there is not much proving to do from the press box. Although you are right about him being cheap, and a waiver wire pick up, he does have a lot of upside. Not sure why they would hang on to him for so long here if he doesn't fit the teams needs.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinsky View Post
I shudder at what would happen if we were to put a soft, one-way waiver pick-up with mediocre offensive abilities on our first line. The world as we know it would cease to exist.

Bazinga!

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote