HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Anti-TSN

Old
11-13-2010, 11:57 AM
topcheese1984*

vCash: 500
The Anti-TSN

For all of us who are sick of TSN's one sided coverage of the lowly Leafs, I came across the anti-TSN the other day.

http://www.ff-press.com/toronto-canc...-parade-2.html

I "Like" lol

Enjoy!

topcheese1984* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
That was quite funny, actually. And I don't even hate the Leafs.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:05 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Poor Toronto. What happened to Brian Burke? I felt really good about the signing of Burke as GM. Then he started acting like Bill LaForge! ****ing trainwreck.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:12 PM
topcheese1984*

I was actually worried when Toronto signed Burke. I really thought he'd be one of the few executives tough enough to look the Toronto media and fans in the eye and tell them that rebuilding was going to take a while, and that they should just deal with it. One of the few times I'm actually glad to be wrong!

Old
11-13-2010, 12:22 PM
VanEric

I like the Woods Recommits To Golf By Signing With The Toronto Maple Leafs one.
Quote:
“I’m excited to get back into the swing of things,” said Woods, admitting to reporters that he was shocked when he learned just how much golf he could have been playing all these years had he only been a member of the Maple Leafs sooner.

Woods’ decision to join the Maple Leafs comes only days after ESPN reported that Phil Mickelson has been a member of the Florida Panthers since 2002.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

The only think more annoying about TSN's Toronto-centric coverage, is their little agendas to change the game that clogs up their pages.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
the Maple Leafs have slipped to twenty-fifth place in the league, and twenty-ninth overall in goals scored, leaving an entire legion of fans confused as to how a terrible team, with no discernible offensive talent whatsoever, can have such a bad record.
Pro or con the Leafs, this is journalistic gold!

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:34 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Someone remind him we have Phil Kessel!

David Booth Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Drmckool
Truculence!

My problem with this article is that the Author infers that all Toronto sports teams have been terrible for a while and continue to be terrible, where in reality the Blue Jays are former back-to-back World Series Champions and will be excellent in the 2011 season.

Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
HFKessSnipes*

Whats with the Leaf obsesssion? You stated you were sick of Leaf coverage, and you responded with a thread about the Leafs? Not flaming entire fan base but the OP is pointless.

HFKessSnipes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcheese1984 View Post
For all of us who are sick of TSN's one sided coverage of the lowly Leafs, I came across the anti-TSN the other day.

I "Like" lol

Enjoy!
I was just thinking this very thing 2 minutes ago when I checked out TSNs pregame match clip for Vancouver Toronto and it was ALL about Kadri and the call ups. Brutal.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFKessSnipes View Post
Whats with the Leaf obsesssion? You stated you were sick of Leaf coverage, and you responded with a thread about the Leafs? Not flaming entire fan base but the OP is pointless.
Anti Maple Leafs is part of the genetic predisposition of true Vancouver fans - and there is a historical imperative behind it.

Remember this is coming from a former Leafs fans (beginning in 1958) who bled blue and was lucky enough to be around for the glory years in the 1960's until Harold Ballard cured me of my particular affliction and i switched allegiances to the lovable losers on the Wetcoast.

I know this may be hard to believe but in the 1960's the Maple Leafs actually won FOUR STANLEY CUPS... it is not an urban myth.

For those wondering about the source of the antipathy to all things Leafs and TO here is trip down memory lane - well a memory for me but likely ancient history for most of you young 'uns.

As I said I am speaking as former Leafs fan (from the late 1950's to the Ballard era) who was born and raised in BC.

Historically there is good reason for Vancouver fans disliking the Leafs due to Stafford Smythe's deep-sixing the Canucks' entry to the NHL in 1967 with the help of Clarence Campbell when Vancouver rejected Smythe's attempts to build and control a new arena in Vancouver. He vowed to block any Vancouver entry to the NHL:
Back in the middle of 1964, Toronto Maple Leafs’ president Stafford Smythe, seeking new ways to increase his cash inflow, mused that he might, just might, consider building an NHL-sized arena in Vancouver, if Vancouver would grant him free prime property in the downtown area. Smythe and his assistant, Harold Ballard, came to Vancouver to promote his plan.

Reaction in the city was split down the middle. Rabid hockey fans felt that no concession was too great if it meant an NHL franchise. But others differed. Some people were turned off by Smythe’s patronizing attitude. Others felt that the granting of free land was a blatant give-away to eastern interests.

There were even rumors, never confirmed, that Smythe planned to build a hotel complex and a dog-racing track on the site of the proposed rink.

At any rate, Smythe’s proposal was put to the public and was rejected. Smarting with indignation, Smythe said that he doubted if Vancouver would ever get into the NHL in his lifetime.
From The History of Hockey in B.C. by Denny Boyd

It took David Molson of the Habs to intervene and overrule Campbell giving Vancouver its NHL franchise (along with Buffalo) in 1970. By that time Smythe who had been ousted by John Basset as Leafs chairman in a power struggle that would ultimately see Harold Ballard oust Bassett several years later, was facing criminal charges and was ill (he would subsequently die in 1971).

It was not entirely altruistic on David Molson's part as fans in BC had organized quite an effective boycott targeting Molson beer and ESSO (major NHL sponsors at the time) over the denial of an NHL franchise.

From The History of Hockey in B.C. by Denny Boyd:
Vancouver’s reaction to the rejection and to Campbell’s words was one of boiling indignation. Hundreds of letters of protest were fired off to NHL headquarters. The sale of beer brewed by the family behind the Montreal Canadiens dropped sharply as did purchases of oil and gasoline bearing the name of the sponsor of Canadian NHL telecasts. Vancouver was a city spurned, and was acting accordingly.
The boycott was quite effective and David Molson (owned the Habs) basically told Campbell to pipe down about Vancouver and the BOG awarded franchises to Vancouver and Buffalo.
David Molson, a member of the NHL expansion committee, tempered the turn-down slightly when he said, “The league is committed to Vancouver. The next city, either through a new franchise or a franchise transfer, is Vancouver. If we expand again, it will have to be by two cities to facilitate scheduling. But when you have two weak sisters you have to be a little hesitant about going out and adding two unknowns.”

The weak sisters he was referring to were Oakland and Pittsburgh, both of them deep in early financial straits and neither of them drawing solid and consistent spectator support.

While David Molson’s announcement had been the first genuinely positive indication that the NHL wanted Vancouver as badly as Vancouver wanted the NHL, his promise was verbally negated by Campbell who, in a hasty moment, said, “Vancouver won’t be in the league this year or next. You can count on that.”

But the expansion committee, at the June, 1969 NHL meeting, partially provided a rebuttal to Campbell by announcing that the NHL would expand again in time for the 1970-71 season.
And NHL hockey would finally come to the Wet Coast.

So yes there is a lot of history behind Leaf angst in Vancouver.

For many it has been passed down from father to son (or mother to daughter - mind you my mother and sister were Habs fans which made for interesting Saturday dinners around the TV watching HNIC) and the origins of the antipathy have become misty over time.

But there you have it - the real reasons why all things Maple leafs should be denigrated.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:09 PM
topcheese1984*

Sidney Kadri has gotten more press over the last 2 days the Ovie, Sid and Stamkos have all gotten all year

Old
11-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool View Post
the Blue Jays are former back-to-back World Series Champions and will be excellent in the 2011 season.
It will be a tough task for the young Blue Jays to have an excellent season with the Red Sox, Yanks and Rays in the same division.

What is your definition of excellent? 85 wins? 90?

Not trolling, I actually like the Jays, although I am more of a Sox fan, I watch my fair share of Jays in the summer.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Sidney Kadri has gotten more press over the last 2 days the Ovie, Sid and Stamkos have all gotten all year
HMMMMMMM... maybe that was the real reason for the call-up - take the heat and attention off the abysmal team that Burkie has assembled.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
when do the Canucks play the Laffs next?

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 09:44 PM
topcheese1984*

December 18th in Vancouver....Gotta give the Leafs credit, they played pretty well tonight

Old
11-13-2010, 10:03 PM
VanEric

Kris Versteeg already has a limo waiting for the boys.

Old
11-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 50
at least we have Jim Hughson on CBC trying his best to disguise his preference for us to win!!!

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:50 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:

I "Like" lol

Enjoy!
last year they had an article called vancouver cancells parade as well

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:27 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazy View Post
at least we have Jim Hughson on CBC trying his best to disguise his preference for us to win!!!
Sometimes. Usually we get our goalie of the future. Who knew the future was broadcasting our games instead of stopping pucks for us?

Old
11-14-2010, 04:52 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
I was actually worried when Toronto signed Burke. I really thought he'd be one of the few executives tough enough to look the Toronto media and fans in the eye and tell them that rebuilding was going to take a while, and that they should just deal with it. One of the few times I'm actually glad to be wrong!
Why on earth would you think that he would take a patient approach? That is completely unlike Burke.

As an NHL manager he was never the patient type. His MO has always been to make a big splash on the trade front and he has never been afraid to trade a draft pick for someone else's spare parts.

Personally, I knew from the start that it would be disastrous for Burke in TO. The one thing that differentiated the Leafs from the Canucks, Ducks, and Whalers when he took over those teams is that Toronto did not have a wealth of assets for Burke to play with. You knew that he piss whatever little they did have away.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Tiranis

I'm still left wondering, given their prospect/draft pick situation, why he didn't sign Roman Cervenka — the guy wanted a guarantee he wouldn't get sent down to the AHL and then would've signed here. Instead he's now lighting up the KHL in his first season there (after smashing several Czech league records), only second to Radulov in points and has way more goals.

But, hey, there's no way he would be better than Tyler Bozak, right? Hahaha...

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Hyack57

I get a kick out of CBC and TSN when they pan up to Brian Burke in his box seat after each goal against for a reaction. How many other GMs not named Sutter or Burke get that treatment?

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:24 PM
topcheese1984*

I get a kick out of the fact that the box he's always sitting in is so plain. Would it kill him to put spruce it up a little bit? Looks like a box you'd give to a visiting GM