HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov

Old
11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

vCash: 500
Frolov

Kings fan here:

How close are you guys to giving up on Alexander Frolov? Heard the blurb on NHL tonight on him and I was curious to see what you guys think. His numbers are dissappointing and I saw that his turnover cost you guys the game a few nights ago.

Anyway, just curious.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
You can't give up on any player after 15 games, especially not a player with his talent.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:48 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I still have faith in his abilities. The guy has talent. He does. He's just not showing it. He uses his body well but not as good as he could use it. He's great as far as puck control goes behind the net. But the wraparounds have to stop. He does it too often, and they are all unsuccessful. And back to the part about having a big body, he needs to use it to get into better scoring positions and not just behind the net. He needs to enter a zone and get above or in between the circles and shoot more. He scored a goal against Boston that, albeit wasnt a pretty one or even a product of him actually shooting the puck, but it went in because he was driving towards the net. He needs to do that more, he needs to take advantage of his size and strength.

And I know excuses should not be made and its not the total reason he's been struggling, BUT he really hasnt been playing with talented forwards of his caliber. Christensen is not a strong forward. I want to see what he does when Gaborik comes back before I write him off.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
You can't give up on any player after 15 games, especially not a player with his talent.
I agree. I was a big Frolov fan when he was in LA and I think he's probably still adjusting to everything east coast. Although I'm not sure Tortorella is the right coach to bring out his best.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm a big Frolov fan and i've been disappointed with his production, but everything past his body checks (he checks like a kitten) he works hard, for the most part. I do expect him to hit a stride with Gaborik, but then again who wouldn't?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I agree.

Devil's Adocate: It hasn't been 15 games. His production has been trending downward since the 06-07 season.

11-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Levitate

He hasn't exactly been dogging it or anything, but he's been getting pretty damn unlucky at this point. Had a goal taken away from him the other night for example

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree.

Devil's Adocate: It hasn't been 15 games. His production has been trending downward since the 06-07 season.
I'll take the 67 and 59 point Frolov, too. Keep in mind he also missed games those seasons, so taking into account that the season with the most games he played in the last 3 years he was put on the LAK third line, I think he's bound to explode with Gaborik.

(read bound to explode as not suck so much production wise )

Old
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
PawelW007

Unfortunately, he is the typical example of a rangers player that has high expectations placed upon him and won;t deliver even close to 30 goals. If he chips in 20, I would consider it a miracle the way he is playing right now. Slow, scared of physicality, no dominant shooting skills.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
You're severely overestimating the attention span of HFBoards Rangers fans.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
Unfortunately, he is the typical example of a rangers player that has high expectations placed upon him and won;t deliver even close to 30 goals. If he chips in 20, I would consider it a miracle the way he is playing right now. Slow, scared of physicality, no dominant shooting skills.
yeah he definitely eats the pu pu platter

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Give up by scratching? No. Lower expectations? yes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
Dominant shooting skills? What are those exactly? The guy has scored 30 goals multiple times. Really a 60 pt Frolov would have been our second best scorer last year. You also can't complain cause he's been playing with guys who arent exactly lighting the world on fire themselves. Give him Gabby and EC and we have another scoring unit.

I also don't understand why he's such a "disappointment." 3m 1 year deal. Not like we gave hin 6m per for 5 years to be our number 1 center and captain...and ib some ways Drury even played exactly like he did in the past.

Our fans really seem to overhype guys. Seriously folks have reasonable expectations. Drury for the most part has been a 25 goal 35-40 assist guy on the second line. And when he cones here and puts up those numbers we complain. Same thing with Frolov - he's a 25-30 goal guy who will get 60 points. He's not going to score 40 and he's not going to pile up assists. Look at his career stats and average it out. And given that he's had q few goals taken away this year he's pretty much right on target if you count those.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'll take the 67 and 59 point Frolov, too. Keep in mind he also missed games those seasons, so taking into account that the season with the most games he played in the last 3 years he was put on the LAK third line, I think he's bound to explode with Gaborik.

(read bound to explode as not suck so much production wise )
Seeing how he's on pace for 31 points, I'd sign up for his last season total of 51.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
You're severely overestimating the attention span of HFBoards Rangers fans.
Agreed. 15 minutes is more like it.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I was going to start a thread about Frolov this morning but erased it. Frolov needs to get going.He is on pace for a 10 goal season. Had trouble getting a NHL contract last summer. Thankfully the Rangers didn't sign Frolov to a long-term contract. Can you imagine the horror? Ales Kotalik was somehow moved last winter. Rangers dodged a bullet when Sather cleaned up his own mess. Frolov looks like Chris Higgins. The media asked Torts last week if he was ready to make the Frolov and Higgins comparison and he didn't want to talk about that.

Arthur Staple wrote about Frolov yesterday

Quote:
Frolov came here as a last-ditch effort to save his NHL career. His only other offer was a multi-year deal in the KHL, but he rejected that, telling me back in August that he wanted to play in the best league in the world.

He hasnít dispelled any of the complaints that dogged him over his final two seasons with the Kings: Slow, unable to create his own offense and a bit of a liability defensively.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...7?showAll=true

He does looks slow. Someone here posted it looks like Frolov is wearing the another player's skates. The GWG goal against the Caps was his fault when he couldn't get the puck out of the zone and Torts sat him after that mistake. Frolov has had chances but he can't finish.

Gaborik is back tonight. If Frolov can't start producing offensively playing with Gaborik,then it's not going to work out for Frolov here. He doesn't help the team in any other area.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Hopefully some playoff-bound team desperate for more offense will give us a second or third rounder for him at the deadline. Unless he finds chemistry with Gaborik, I can't see him staying around as long as they can get an asset for him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
dccuse

i think frolov finally showed some signs of life against the caps. He was a beast through in the offensive zone. He had great puck control. For what seemed like the first time this season he got a couple of rockets off from around ten feet out as opposed to his typical wrap around tries. he played physically and he had i think two missed chip shots that should have been goals. he has no space on the ice right now. With gabby back i think things should progress.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
bscharf

He played great against Washington but had nothing to show for it

Hell catch on soon. Hes finally noticeable. Its early.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
ZacUSNYR

And he only has one goal less then Kovalchuk and didn't cost 100 million.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
And he only has one goal less then Kovalchuk and didn't cost 100 million.
Derek Boogaard only has 2 less.

Old
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
MaximusT

I had pretty high expectations for him, especially since I advocated for us signing him a few years ago when he was a good 30-30 player for the Kings. But honestly he's been pretty bad so far. Never knew he was THAT slow, and honestly has shown a small fraction of how a talented forward with good hands should play.
When we signed him I was expecting him to bring the kind of offense we saw from Zherdev a few years back, dissapear every once in a while but provide some secondary scoring and hopefully some highlight reel goals. He def met that standard in the preseason games, but in the 15 games so far, I am very dissapointed.

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Kings fan here:

How close are you guys to giving up on Alexander Frolov? Heard the blurb on NHL tonight on him and I was curious to see what you guys think. His numbers are dissappointing and I saw that his turnover cost you guys the game a few nights ago.

Anyway, just curious.
To keep it simple, we're disappointed thus far. He's not having much of an impact out on the ice in any regard. His play is predictable and ineffective and he needs to start shooting more or turning up the intensity because he's not getting results with his current approach. Him and Gaborik were projected to play together from day 1 and Gaborik has only played in 3 games this season so we'll see if Gaborik's return tonight has any impact on Frolov and the production of that line together.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
MaximusT

Btw: Now that I think about it. Who would you rather have, Zherdev or Frolov?
2 years ago when Z was on, he was definitely my favorite Ranger, and he's signed for what, 2 million in Philly?

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
Btw: Now that I think about it. Who would you rather have, Zherdev or Frolov?
2 years ago when Z was on, he was definitely my favorite Ranger, and he's signed for what, 2 million in Philly?
Neither really... Give me players who play to their potential, play with intensity, and play with a ton of heart.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote