HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov Injury talk (Speculation/Rumour: Maybe out up to 3 months)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2010, 12:06 PM
prairie hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If it is another serious injury, the Habs have a lot of thinking to do. It's a double edged sword. The teams success depends on Markov, but how can you tie up that much money and that many years to a player that is injury prone? It is an interesting debate.
I disagree.

Three years ago I would have been on board with saying the team's success relied on Markov, but not any more.

They made the playoffs without him for the better part of the season last year, and won a tough playoff round without him. This version of the Habs (going back to last year) does not rely on Markov. Martin's system, the emergence of Subban, and the depth at forward through the acquisitions of Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta, and Pouliot (among others) has made this team more competitive, and better defensively. The egos of Kovalev, Koivu, Souray, and Komi are no longer here, and this Habs team has the makings of a regular contender.

Markov will not be a Hab next summer. Book it.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Seeing as this is the Montreal media, it's no surprise that they want them out and not spreading all sorts of speculation.

Renaud Lavoie s an idiot, he is the last guy I'd trust on any kind of information.
Funny you say that, he's one of the most reliable journalist out there and probably the only one at RDS. I know your hoping for the best, but no need to discredit a very reliable journalist.

Cruches = way more than 3 days BTW.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
I disagree.

Three years ago I would have been on board with saying the team's success relied on Markov, but not any more.

They made the playoffs without him for the better part of the season last year, and won a tough playoff round without him. This version of the Habs (going back to last year) does not rely on Markov. Martin's system, the emergence of Subban, and the depth at forward through the acquisitions of Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta, and Pouliot (among others) has made this team more competitive, and better defensively. The egos of Kovalev, Koivu, Souray, and Komi are no longer here, and this Habs team has the makings of a regular contender.

I actually agree that we do not rely on Markov anymore. But the team remains a hell of a lot better with him IN the line-up than out. I expect him to actually stay a Hab, but I don't expect him to get a huge long-term contract now.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
RC51

this not the first time the canes target our best player and might end his career.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
this not the first time the canes target our best player and might end his career.
There was absolutely no targeting there. Staal and Markov got tangled up, Markov's knee twisted/feel awkwardly into the boards. Can't blame anyone except for bad luck.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
andy28

Quote:

I hope you are wrong about that. Markov has been our most valuable player for years. I don't think he is necessarily injury prone.

I was never the guy who was emotional over Koivu or anything like that. Not that I hated the guy, but I had no problem with him leaving. I did not think the identity of the habs was wrapped up with Koivu. But when I think of the habs without strong silent Markov it really does not feel like the habs. I know that's not a reason to keep him around. But Markov will overcome this injury and his luck will change. Even if injuries leave him at less than 100 per cent physically this guy brings so much to the table in terms of hockey IQ. He knows how to use what he is given.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Subban76

Quote:
I disagree.

I'm willing to take a bet on that. No way he is NOT a Habs next summer.

There are not many quality Ds as UFAs next summer and teams are keeping the quality players with multi-year contracts now. Letting him go may take the Habs for ever to find a repalcement with as much talent. Gill and Hamrlik are also UFAs and we don't have good ready prospects to take their places.

Markov will sign a multi-year contract with the Habs, book it. This injury could just be a blessing in disguise where we can resign him for cheaper now.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:18 PM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with Markov and his family. At a time like this, hockey shoiuld be the last thing on anyone's mind.
Seriously cause of a knee injury?

Old
11-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Funny you say that, he's one of the most reliable journalist out there and probably the only one at RDS. I know your hoping for the best, but no need to discredit a very reliable journalist.

Cruches = way more than 3 days BTW.
Right now we don't even know if he needs crutches or not, just guesswork.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
I hope you are wrong about that. Markov has been our most valuable player for years. I don't think he is necessarily injury prone.

I was never the guy who was emotional over Koivu or anything like that. Not that I hated the guy, but I had no problem with him leaving. I did not think the identity of the habs was wrapped up with Koivu. But when I think of the habs without strong silent Markov it really does not feel like the habs. I know that's not a reason to keep him around. But Markov will overcome this injury and his luck will change. Even if injuries leave him at less than 100 per cent physically this guy brings so much to the table in terms of hockey IQ. He knows how to use what he is given.
it will be interesting to see what happens. I remember when Gainey got all the free agents he said their track record of them being healthy was a big factor in signing them and letting go players like Tanguay and Bouillon because of injuries. Grant it, Markov isnt on the same planet as far as talent goes but still going to be intriguing as far as their decision. Kind of sucks tying in 6M on a player u cant seem to count on these last few years

Old
11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Right now we don't even know if he needs crutches or not, just guesswork.
I agree, but when every journalist covering the team are mentionning 3 months on Twitter, it does not look good now does it?

I have read at least 5 journalist mention 3 months so far, including some of them having sources from Habs management saying it does not look good.

As for the crutches, I would say its more than likely since Gagnon at LaPresse as confirmed that Markov tried to put weight on the leg in the dressing room and was not able to, he would have fallen if not held up by other people. Sounds like crutches to me and sound like he's out for a while.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
it will be interesting to see what happens. I remember when Gainey got all the free agents he said their track record of them being healthy was a big factor in signing them and letting go players like Tanguay and Bouillon because of injuries. Grant it, Markov isnt on the same planet as far as talent goes but still going to be intriguing as far as their decision. Kind of sucks tying in 6M on a player u cant seem to count on these last few years
Even Bobby Orr with bad knees got traded !

Old
11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
I disagree.

Are you saying Markov has a big ego??? I think you are way off on the Book It he will not be here next year...

Old
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
My thoughts and prayers are with Markov and his family. At a time like this, hockey shoiuld be the last thing on anyone's mind.
You realize he's not dying right?

Old
11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I agree, but when every journalist covering the team are mentionning 3 months on Twitter, it does not look good now does it?

I have read at least 5 journalist mention 3 months so far, including some of them having sources from Habs management saying it does not look good.

As for the crutches, I would say its more than likely since Gagnon at LaPresse as confirmed that Markov tried to put weight on the leg in the dressing room and was not able to, he would have fallen if not held up by other people. Sounds like crutches to me and sound like he's out for a while.
He walked on it on the way to the dressing room.

Old
11-14-2010, 12:52 PM
habspinner

So anyone who is a doctor or has good knowledge about this kind of stuff, can you answer a couple of questions:

Today he is having an MRI, that being said, I know you can't have an MRI or other tests if there is significant swelling. The fact that he's going for tests today seems to mean the swelling has subsided....is that a good thing?

Old
11-14-2010, 01:02 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
You realize he's not dying right?
lol, youre right. His post sounds like what people wrote in a RIP thread!

Old
11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
He walked on it on the way to the dressing room.
Yeah, he definitely put weight on it. IMO that alone shows it's not as serious as the Cooke hit one.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
lol, youre right. His post sounds like what people wrote in a RIP thread!
i LOLed too. Hockey should be the first thing on his mind in this situation actually. It could be career ending.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
If this is serious, there's absolutely no way I'd re-sign him for anything more than he's making now. And for no more than 2 years
If Markov's injury turns out to be serious - not sure I would offer him any contract - unless it was extremely low ball in $$$.

He's apparently become injury prone and I'd look for a younger up and coming D man to take his spot for less $$$.

Now........if Gauthier could only find a taker for Gomez's contract (it doesn't cost anything to dream)!

GO HABS GO!

Old
11-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to wonder why people are calling out Lavoie like that. How about you wait till you actually find out? If it's 3 months...what are you going to say now? If it's not, than bash him all you want....
Because it's a complete guess, hence the ''?'' at the end of their headline.

Like I said, any type of injury that is muscle related needs a MRI. Before one is taken, there's absolutely no way the extent of his injury. You can guess about a million things, right or wrong, they're all guesses.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because it's a complete guess, hence the ''?'' at the end of their headline.

Like I said, any type of injury that is muscle related needs a MRI. Before one is taken, there's absolutely no way the extent of his injury. You can guess about a million things, right or wrong, they're all guesses.
And to add, they just want headlines, so they "make up" stories. I thought journalism is supposed to be facts, not guessing.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:31 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
And to add, they just want headlines, so they "make up" stories. I thought journalism is supposed to be facts, not guessing.
Anyone watch the Daily Show (November 11th)? They were showing clips of all the news stations speculating on a plume of smoke. It was the usual montage of the various networks spinning the story out of control. That's the 24 hour news cycle. And not JUST Fox (although they are the funniest, i.e. most ridiculous --- it's Obama's fault!!!)

So the whole make up headline thing is not such a new thing and in this case had they not said anything, we'd all be like, "why isn't RDS even giving us any insight into what they're getting". At least it was phrased with some uncertainty. We're all hoping that estimate was wrong and I think they know it could be, but I have a feeling they are close to right UNLESS the MRI shows something positive (well, negative, you know what I mean). That is entirely possible. Also, with the past two injuries, they weren't really that off the ball originally were they? Both times it turned out to be a significant absence.

Habspinner asked some interesting questions though re:getting evaluated the next day by MRI, which is what we all think is happening.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
KerryFraser

Quote:
Renaud lavoie from RDS mentionnes on Twitter that per his sources, Habs management feels it does not look good and he as 2 sources saying it could be up to 3 months. Markov getting an MRI today with official results to come later.

I want to be positive, but it does not look good
Don't know where you saw this on his twitter but i can't find it, maybe i have vision trouble.

Old
11-14-2010, 01:55 PM
TheBuriedHab

So whats the Plan if he indeed is out for 3 months. Do we go and aquire someone like Bieksa? Or are they happy with Picard stepping in as a 6?

Closed Thread