HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov Injury talk (Speculation/Rumour: Maybe out up to 3 months)

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2010, 11:34 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Martin McGuire just said on CKAC that it was much too early to speculate on Markov absence because nobody (Markov included) knows what his injury is exactly. He also added that no professional journalist would speculate on the lenght of his absence at this point. Nice jab to Renaud Lavoie!
If he had an MRI done, yes, they know a great deal about the extent of the injury. And he did one yesterday btw. So, all in all, it doesn't look good imo.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
What to do with him is up for debate, but it's silly when folks here start screaming that we shouldn't even think of trading him.
It's a little too soon to be thinking about that.
First, we need to know what is the problem. When I saw the hit, I didn't much impact on the knee, it seemed to have hit the Quad more. Maybe that's where the problem is. At this point, who knows?..Nobody it seems. So let's just wait for the results.

As for trading him, even if 100% healthy, it solely depends on the return. I rather have Markov for 50-60Games than not have him at all + crappy return. So, we'll have to see.
It also depends on where our team is at. If we maintain our top division status, and Markov is set to comeback just around deadline, I don't want him moved.
Having a player of his magnitude (even if injured) back in the lineup for a PO push would be better than any return we could have.

All in all, discussions should always remain open I agree, but I strongly doubt Markov will be moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Martin shouldn't give anybody jabs. He took a swipe at Alan Walsh 3 days ago for supposedly saying that Satan was close to signing and the agent called him an a-hole on his twitter this weekend.
Alan Walsh is an idiot. It really doesn't matter. McGuire isn't the only one to have said that, Dallas Dave also did and I don't think he's just a rumor mill dude. According to him, Habs were close to signing Satan (and still are), but looking at the success of the team there's no need to rush into a decision and they're evaluating other options like MAB/Guerin. Satan apparently has another offer, from NJ. He reported this before it came out in the Media.

LAvoie on the other hand, isn't an idiot, but it was rather unprofessional. Saturday night, on his tweeter, he reports Markov could be out as much as 3months when Andrei hasn't even been evaluated yet, let alone pass MRIs??..That's why he put a question mark at the end of his headline. It's entirely speculative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
If he had an MRI done, yes, they know a great deal about the extent of the injury. And he did one yesterday btw. So, all in all, it doesn't look good imo.
I thought he was supposed to do a MRI today or Tuesday.

Old
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
That's worth a try i guess as Picard has played relatively well.

I'd still feel safer with a legitimate and etablished no 1 or 2 on the first pairing though , especially if Markov is out long term. Maybe not Regehr but a guy in that mold would be nice.
Ian White?

Old
11-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I just don't agree with that. People are being fooled by randomness and attributing it unfairly to his poor conditioning/"proneness to injury". Andrei Markov is not one of those players who will just fold after a series of bad injuries. Nor is he close to declining in general. How about sticking by a loyal player and leader and giving him the benefit of the doubt. When Koivu gets cancer, foot injuries and his eye almost gouged out, did that make him injury prone? No. He might have been on a decline, but not related to any of those things (personally I think he's still kicking ass). Markov will come back from this eventually (hopefully soon) and be very very productive. To lose him would be a huge mistake. He has many good years in him and is one of the most cerebral defenceman out there. You can't just replace that. Every time he comes back from injury, after a few games he becomes a big driver of our success. Yes we've won without him LATELY (not in the long run), but we've been playing not so great teams and haven't been at the level I think we need to be. We need him. Now and later.

Point is, even the objective view that he's now a broken player is just plain wrong. He's too resilient. Not the luckiest guy, but he, like Koivu, will come back and be very productive. Sucks for us for "3 months", hopefully less, but I guarantee the doubters will be proven wrong about their opinion (which I realize is an objective evaluation of what you think his situation is).

The guy just needs a significant amount of time playing without getting hammered in his knee. Once it is fully at 100% (which it can be), he won't be getting injured as much. I would love to see a control where another similar player gets bombarded by the same hits/knee assaults and comes out of it ok. Guarantee Markov would come out of it the more productive.
It's not about him "folding" its about the reality of the situation here. He's already coming off a series of serious injuries, whether or not he has the heart of a lion is irrelevant. Injuries (esp to your knees) catch up with you eventually. You can ask Bobby Orr about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's a little too soon to be thinking about that.
First, we need to know what is the problem. When I saw the hit, I didn't much impact on the knee, it seemed to have hit the Quad more. Maybe that's where the problem is. At this point, who knows?..Nobody it seems. So let's just wait for the results.

As for trading him, even if 100% healthy, it solely depends on the return. I rather have Markov for 50-60Games than not have him at all + crappy return. So, we'll have to see.
It also depends on where our team is at. If we maintain our top division status, and Markov is set to comeback just around deadline, I don't want him moved.
Having a player of his magnitude (even if injured) back in the lineup for a PO push would be better than any return we could have.

All in all, discussions should always remain open I agree, but I strongly doubt Markov will be moved.
I doubt he'll be moved either... that doesn't mean it's crazy to talk about doing it. The sad part is that the window for maximizing his value has passed.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
shutehinside

Looks as though we won't have an answer for a few more days:

LONGUEUIL, Que. -- The Montreal Canadiens are keeping mum on what could be a serious injury to top defenceman Andrei Markov.

The team -- which is notoriously tight-lipped in situations like these -- won't confirm reports the Russian star might be gone for up to three months.

The team says more tests will be conducted this week.

The Habs will only say that Markov is suffering from a lower-body injury and will miss their next game.

The oft-injured star, who has played little hockey these last two seasons, appeared to hurt his right knee in an awkward spill during Saturday's 7-2 win over Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Ian White?
I would LOVE Ian White on this team. He's been the best player in the Phaneuf trade and after signing Giordano, White won't be signed next year. He's as good as gone and would do miracles for our PP IMO.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
surferdude99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Looks as though we won't have an answer for a few more days:

LONGUEUIL, Que. -- The Montreal Canadiens are keeping mum on what could be a serious injury to top defenceman Andrei Markov.

The team -- which is notoriously tight-lipped in situations like these -- won't confirm reports the Russian star might be gone for up to three months.

The team says more tests will be conducted this week.

The Habs will only say that Markov is suffering from a lower-body injury and will miss their next game.

The oft-injured star, who has played little hockey these last two seasons, appeared to hurt his right knee in an awkward spill during Saturday's 7-2 win over Carolina.

I would LOVE Ian White on this team. He's been the best player in the Phaneuf trade and after signing Giordano, White won't be signed next year. He's as good as gone and would do miracles for our PP IMO.
I would pass on him. We have enough short players

Old
11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
If it HANDT of happened to his surgically repaired knee, id say its "only" a knee sprain and will be out 4-6 weeks, ..but since it IS... im gonna go on and say 4 months minimum .. takes over a year for knee ligaments to get REAL strong again, and so they were susceptible to injruy or being reaggravated, and it seems to be the case here for markov... our only other hope is MCL sprain or tear, but even that is months, not weeks..

come ooooooooooooon knee sprain..

Old
11-15-2010, 01:49 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude99 View Post
I would pass on him. We have enough short players
He's tough as nails and a good offensive defensman. Besides he's a lot more physical than Markov and he'd be effective on the PP where we'd need him most.

Don't get so hung up on size, Rypien, Richards, Avery etc are all small guys but play much bigger.

Old
11-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I know we have to wait and all but right now I'm negative and I expect the worse.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

I thought he was supposed to do a MRI today or Tuesday.
TSN said he was scheduled to have one yesterday. RDS said he had "tests" yesterday too. I can't think of any other test than a MRI in his case, so he probably had it already.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The sad part is that the window for maximizing his value has passed.
Ya, but there's nobody to blame for that. Markov's knees just seem to have become very fragile. Hopefully, it will never get as bad as Forsberg's foot.

This injury could put management in a very tight spot this summer. With many great UFA defensemen coming up, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

I guess all we can do now is wait for the diagnosis.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Not sure if it was posted (probably) but according to an article on Canoe he could be out from 8 months - for the season.

Goddammit

Last edited by Bronn: 11-15-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Habs

I wish he would take his injuries like a man, and stop throwing the gloves and acting like he was shot from the 3rd floor of the Book Depository Building in Dealey Plaza.

I'm getting so used to his injuries, that I can predict the extent of them by how far he throws his gloves in the air when he falls. Judging by the distance of his gloves this time around, I feel it's a 4 week injury.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Canoe is saying he's done for the season: http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...15-112704.html

Last edited by Harpo: 11-15-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added link
Old
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Gary320

If he were done for the season, I wonder if he would be done has a HAB =-o

Old
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
If he were done for the season, I wonder if he would be done has a HAB =-o
I for one would think twice before signing him long term now.

He's getting closer and closer to being damaged goods and that`s if he aint already.

It sucks but the Habs brass now have to face reality and take this into consideration.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Gary320

Quote:

He's getting closer and closer to being damaged goods and that`s if he aint already.

It sucks but the Habs brass now have to face reality and take this into consideration.

He is damaged goods, and I'm not a Markov hater or ANYTHING. I'm just not going to sit here and tell you that he deserves a big and lengthy contract at his condition. It's a waste of money, and really I'd probably go with. Same money, one-two year deal to see what happens..

Old
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Canoe is saying he's done for the season: http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/...15-112704.html
It's a deceptive article. It doesn't give any medical or team statments that he's actually gone for the season.

Maybe he will be but it's not a fact yet so all articles that clain they know are talking out of their a$$.

Old
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Why? Worst happens if he can't come back because of injury is less profit for the organisation, but it won't affect our cap.

And the best that happens is we secure him for good, and show some loyalty to a darn good player.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I wish he would take his injuries like a man, and stop throwing the gloves and acting like he was shot from the 3rd floor of the Book Depository Building in Dealey Plaza.
Ever tore your knee?

Old
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
He is damaged goods, and I'm not a Markov hater or ANYTHING. I'm just not going to sit here and tell you that he deserves a big and lengthy contract at his condition. It's a waste of money, and really I'd probably go with. Same money, one-two year deal to see what happens..
As a fan, I don't care if the Molson's waste money. As a fan, I care more about cap space. If Markov's knee is made of glass and gets reinjured in 2 years, I don't care if he has 6 years left on his contract because it won't affect us.

But if we can get a lower cap hit by giving him a longer contract, why not take advantage of having a lower cap hit instead of a higher cap hit for the next 2 years?

Old
11-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Ginu

Guys, please stop speculating. Until the swelling goes down, no tests will provide any information. They need this to happen at some point this week before they can give a prognosis regarding how long he'll be out. Anything you hear before that isn't true. There's no way his knee has cleared up in 2 days, if it has that's good news and he'd be back pretty soon. Wait it out.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

I would just do the opposite.... If he is injured (got injured early next season), insurances will pay his salary and his salary will be off the cap. If he's healthy, that's a huge bonus.

It's a win-win situation. I would NOT like to see him bounce back elsewhere next season with a contender and help them win a Cup even if he had played 50% of the season.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Ever tore your knee?
Yes sir I have, ACL and MCL. Once during a rugby game, the other was a drinking incident with a sweet dancing move, where I attempted to do my 'Thriller' impersonation only to fall over a 300lb behemoth that looked like a cross between Wolf Blitzer and Precious.

Old
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
But if we can get a lower cap hit by giving him a longer contract, why not take advantage of having a lower cap hit instead of a higher cap hit for the next 2 years?
Plus the marginal benefit of showing loyalty. I know I repeat myself, but I feel it would send a good message to other players who wonder about playing with us. "Give us good hockey, and we won't leave you out to dry if you get injured on the line of duty"

Closed Thread