HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Old
09-21-2010, 10:56 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Do people see the Caps having both Perreault and Johansson on the season opening roster?

If yes, do you see both playing in the same game early in the season if no injuries to other players, no players are traded, and no players are added from outside the organization?

Do you assume Andrew Gordon doesn't even have a shot at a depth roster spot and that if all else stays the same, they'd keep Johansson and Perreault and put Andrew Gordon on waivers to get to the opening night roster numbers if no player starts on IR?

As I typed in my earlier posts, I still think there are unanswered questions regarding Perreault, in part because of the Johansson situation - NHL/AHL/Sweden - and in part because the preseason games haven't been played yet and in part because of the other roster competitions. And yes, TXPD, it is my understanding that Perreault is waiver exempt to start the season and all of my comments are taking that into consideration.

I think Andrew Gordon still has a shot and depending on team needs around the League, the Caps may or may not risk losing him, especially if he earns a spot with his camp play. As a fan, I don't know if he'd clear waivers or not, it's possible as I stated earlier that he clears, but I am revising my guess and saying I'm not sure instead of yes. I'm a fan and think he has upside and perhaps my glasses are rose-colored from having watched him from St Cloud State through SC and Hershey, but scanning CapGeek, there are some teams, including the Penguins, I could see taking a chance on Andrew Gordon (at a $500,000 cap hit) if he was put on waivers before opening night.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Do people see the Caps having both Perreault and Johansson on the season opening roster?

If yes, do you see both playing in the same game early in the season if no injuries to other players, no players are traded, and no players are added from outside the organization?

Do you assume Andrew Gordon doesn't even have a shot at a depth roster spot and that if all else stays the same, they'd keep Johansson and Perreault and put Andrew Gordon on waivers to get to the opening night roster numbers if no player starts on IR?

As I typed in my earlier posts, I still think there are unanswered questions regarding Perreault, in part because of the Johansson situation - NHL/AHL/Sweden - and in part because the preseason games haven't been played yet and in part because of the other roster competitions. And yes, TXPD, it is my understanding that Perreault is waiver exempt to start the season and all of my comments are taking that into consideration.

I think Andrew Gordon still has a shot and depending on team needs around the League, the Caps may or may not risk losing him, especially if he earns a spot with his camp play. As a fan, I don't know if he'd clear waivers or not, it's possible as I stated earlier that he clears, but I am revising my guess and saying I'm not sure instead of yes. I'm a fan and think he has upside and perhaps my glasses are rose-colored from having watched him from St Cloud State through SC and Hershey, but scanning CapGeek, there are some teams, including the Penguins, I could see taking a chance on Andrew Gordon (at a $500,000 cap hit) if he was put on waivers before opening night.
It just makes sense to me to graduate Perreault now and give A Gordon a shot. Having A Gordon as the 14th forward makes a lot more sense to me than having Johansson there. Johansson needs to play and develop. A Gordon needs to get a shot at proving himself in the NHL. Perreault belongs on the third line. Hence, Johansson to Hershey or SEL, Perreault to third line center, and A Gordon as 14th forward.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:05 AM
third man in

Quote:

I would be beyond pissed if the Pens claim him and he ends up as Crosby's winger. They have no wing depth and they are projecting Comrie on his wing anyway.

I like Gordon and hope he can scratch out a roster spot here.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I would be beyond pissed if the Pens claim him and he ends up as Crosby's winger. They have no wing depth and they are projecting Comrie on his wing anyway.

I like Gordon and hope he can scratch out a roster spot here.
Yeah, I'd like to see him at least get a shot at proving himself in the NHL. If they decide its not gonna work out after at least they will have had a chance to evaluate him here first. He's done everything he could in his career thus far for a prospect of his ilk - he really deserves a shot.

I wonder if we keep an extra forward now that its only 7 D? Some potential extra forwards right now are Steckel, Hendricks, Perrault, and AGordon.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPP View Post
It just makes sense to me to graduate Perreault now and give A Gordon a shot. Having A Gordon as the 14th forward makes a lot more sense to me than having Johansson there. Johansson needs to play and develop. A Gordon needs to get a shot at proving himself in the NHL. Perreault belongs on the third line. Hence, Johansson to Hershey or SEL, Perreault to third line center, and A Gordon as 14th forward.
I can see it playing out like that if Perreault plays well throughout the preseason and Johansson has agreed to start in Hershey, but my posts in this thread are in the context of not knowing if Johansson to Hershey is a viable option to start the season. Seems to me that is still an open issue, but maybe others have heard or read something that I haven't about his starting in Hershey vs going back to Sweden. His comments about adjusting to the rink size do make me hope that he sees the benefit of playing in N.A.

And as someone noted above, Hendricks is another wild card in this discussion. I assume they'd sign him and send him to Hershey as a recall option if no other roster moves are made and he's willing to sign in that context, but the Caps' preseason games haven't even started so it depends on his play, too.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If the Caps let Gordon go, it's terrible roster management that you can trace back to $6M in contracts to Steckel and Bradley, for me. Those spots should regularly be going to enforcers and farmhands in my book. That's why you don't shell out significant money and term to grinders.

It's the answer to the Steckel and PK question, too. Should the Caps practice an aggressive PK? Sure. Should Steckel be on it? No. Will he be on it? Yes. Why? Well, it helps to justify a three-year commitment, for one. Better roster management is letting kids occupy spots like that, rotated out when they fail or promoted when they succeed. Your fourth liners probably shouldn't be on special teams at all, which is why they make $500K to $750K on annual two-way contracts.

There should be room for Gordon and Gordon and Perreault and Johansson on this club... but roster spots to overpaid guys may see the organization lose someone or bury another. Nothing new, of course. McPhee likes to have NHL players in the minors to see less of a dropoff when the Caps need to call someone up. It's a sign of depth.

Works out well for the Caps, but it's an excellent case study in how the waivers system ought to be tweaked. Waivers is intended to prevent GMs from burying NHL players. It only partially works.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:33 PM
txpd

I dont have and have never had a problem with Bradley's deal. Steckel is another story.
Bradley has earned his bucks. Bradley does not get replaced on the roster by a younger player.

Steckel certainly might be.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I dont have and have never had a problem with Bradley's deal. Steckel is another story.
Bradley has earned his bucks. Bradley does not get replaced on the roster by a younger player.

Steckel certainly might be.
totally agree. i consistently hear what a waste of a roster space and an overpayment brads is. it is simply not true that all fourth-liners are created equal. bradley is particularly good at his job, which is NOT, pugilism. he forechecks hard, pots the occasional -- and sometimes clutch -- goal, defends his teammates, goes to the high-traffic areas and regularly pins better lines in their own zone.

a team needs guys that are especially good at this work and contrary to the common opinion on these boards, they are not a dime a dozen and are worth paying for. i think of the detroit teams of the 90s and the superb bottom 6 they carried. they paid those guys for their work and kept them together as part of the teamís core right along with the Yzermans and Lidstroms.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

Drake, See we agree on some of this roster discussion.

I am not posting what I want to happen; I am posting what the options appear to be if one assumes the forwards from last season's NHL roster, who are still members of this organization, are on the opening night roster.

I, for one, would like Andrew Gordon to be given a real shot at the NHL level, even if it means starting as the scratch/depth forward, and unless he flops miserably in the preseason believe he should be given that opportunity before they risk losing him.

I think it would be great if Johansson agrees to start the season in the AHL to adjust to the NA rink, etc., if team management/ coaches think it's best for his development, but there's the question as to whether he will agree or not (I simply don't know based on what has been reported to date,) and the other issue is what they agree to if he starts on the NHL roster and then struggles at some point.

If they don't think Johansson needs any time in the AHL and they decide to keep Johansson on the opening roster and they keep Andrew Gordon on the roster, then someone else has to be sent down to get to the opening night numbers, and the most logical choice on paper would be Perreault given he is waiver exempt. And that's before one even considers someone like Hendricks.

All of this in the context of no moves being made to trade an NHL roster forward, demote a forward on a one-way contract or other acquisitions.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
totally agree. i consistently hear what a waste of a roster space and an overpayment brads is. it is simply not true that all fourth-liners are created equal. bradley is particularly good at his job, which is NOT, pugilism. he forechecks hard, pots the occasional -- and sometimes clutch -- goal, defends his teammates, goes to the high-traffic areas and regularly pins better lines in their own zone.

a team needs guys that are especially good at this work and contrary to the common opinion on these boards, they are not a dime a dozen and are worth paying for. i think of the detroit teams of the 90s and the superb bottom 6 they carried. they paid those guys for their work and kept them together as part of the teamís core right along with the Yzermans and Lidstroms.
I get what you are saying and I like Bradley a lot but theres a salary cap now (wasn't in the 90's obviously). Asham just signed for 700k. Point is now you can't overpay 4th liners.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Drake, See we agree on some of this roster discussion.

I am not posting what I want to happen; I am posting what the options appear to be if one assumes the forwards from last season's NHL roster, who are still members of this organization, are on the opening night roster.

I, for one, would like Andrew Gordon to be given a real shot at the NHL level, even if it means starting as the scratch/depth forward, and unless he flops miserably in the preseason believe he should be given that opportunity before they risk losing him.

I think it would be great if Johansson agrees to start the season in the AHL to adjust to the NA rink, etc., if team management/ coaches think it's best for his development, but there's the question as to whether he will agree or not (I simply don't know based on what has been reported to date,) and the other issue is what they agree to if he starts on the NHL roster and then struggles at some point.

If they don't think Johansson needs any time in the AHL and they decide to keep Johansson on the opening roster and they keep Andrew Gordon on the roster, then someone else has to be sent down to get to the opening night numbers, and the most logical choice on paper would be Perreault given he is waiver exempt. And that's before one even considers someone like Hendricks.

All of this in the context of no moves being made to trade an NHL roster forward, demote a forward on a one-way contract or other acquisitions.
Or, Perreault's slot is solid and Andrew Gordon gets Bourqued to keep Bradley and Steckel.

Guys, Bradley and Steckel were better players the season before last. In 2009-10, they were not helping when it counted to near the same extent. I think you are remembering their better contributions and ignoring where their games went last season.

Old
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
GoGoGrabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post

he is a waste of roster space. I would much rather see Trevor Bruess in the line-up than Bradley. Also, I would much rather see Jay Beagle than Steckel. As much as I dislike Boyd Goron, at least he doesn't have hands of stone and cement skates like Steckel.

GoGoGrabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Or, Perreault's slot is solid and Andrew Gordon gets Bourqued.
Yes that's in my earlier posts as a possibility. And there is also the issue of assuming 100% healthy forward line-up when the time these decisions need to be made.

update: Again, I never said that couldn't or wouldn't happen to Andrew Gordon. I'm simply saying in particular because of Perreault's waiver exempt status, I think it's too early to lock in his spot with the opener not being until October 8th; it's still to be determined. I disagree that Perreault's "slot is solid" with where things stand at this point and time.

Also, I'd note, the decision to waive Bourque wasn't in the context of keeping a waiver exempt player on the roster (and yes, there were waiver exempt players on the roster but not anyone competing with Bourque.)

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-21-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old
09-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm not a fan of Perreault, but I think he makes the team.
I'm not a fan of Fleischmann at center, but provisionally like him at wing.
I'm a big fan of Johansson... spending a year in Sweden before tearing up the NHL in another year (maybe two).
I'm a critic of the team's center depth in general, certainly for a contender.

Old
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
txpd

Quote:
I get what you are saying and I like Bradley a lot but theres a salary cap now (wasn't in the 90's obviously). Asham just signed for 700k. Point is now you can't overpay 4th liners.
Bradley is a better player than Asham. Bradley is a better teammate or roster glue than Asham is.

McPhee places a value on roster continuity. He wants to eliminate unnecessary roster movement and keep as much of a quality roster together season over season as possible. While it might be true that the Caps could replace Bradley every season with a different player at a lesser cap hit, they lose something when they do that changing all the time.

As it stands now the Caps will have 4 or 5 different players from those that started last season. If you are throwing out your grinders every season like paper towels, you add to that number.

Players like Bradley and BGordon are glue players. They are not created equal and their value increases as they age within a group. Bradley is not a mercinary. He is a Cap. After three years Ovechkin, Green, Backstrom and Laich are moved further when Brads steps up for them than if it was Bradley one year, Cooke the next year and Asham this year.

Old
09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
obviously the cap is an important consideration, but frankly, I like Brads better than Asham. Admittedly, Bradley isnít the pest that Asham is, but here are there stats from last season.

GP G A P +/- PIMs PP SH GW
Bradley 77 10 14 24 6 47 0 1 5
Asham 72 10 14 24 -2 126 0 0 2

In this instance the +6 is telling -- itís not because heís on the ice with the big scorers, like Schultz, itís because he prevents goals against. Add the 3 more GWGs and the fact that heís the ultimate team guy, and I think heís worth his paycheck. Plus, the Caps have cap room. Bradley is not keeping them from making moves. GMGM is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAttack View Post
he is a waste of roster space. I would much rather see Trevor Bruess in the line-up than Bradley. Also, I would much rather see Jay Beagle than Steckel. As much as I dislike Boyd Goron, at least he doesn't have hands of stone and cement skates like Steckel.
Bruess has never played an NHL game. If you believe, as I do, that fourth-line guys play a vital role, you donít just drop in whomever you have around. Trevor may end up a great guy in this role, but he hasnít earned it. Beagle, maybe. Iím not inclined to defend Steckel at this point, though I think it was txpd who pointed out that his contract was given when he appeared to be on an upswing, but then he backslid. He could improve this year; he well may not. If not, for sure Beagle deserves a shot. As for Gordon, if he could stay healthy, I think heís well suited for the job and the team.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Roccoman

kudos to the OP for wording a fantasy question in such a way as to actually spark real discussion!

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Its seems George trades off what he considers a little bit of cap room for continuity in our roster, and it surely makes for less negotiations in the offseasons. He rewards the teams foot soldiers handsomely. Obviously he thinks its more for the better than the worse. If we win the cup this year with his footsoldiers in tow, it was for the best. Time will tell. You cant easily measure the effect continuity has, good or bad. He was a blue collar guy himself, that may be in play here.

We dont know how much of an effect that has on other up and coming players as well, but the lower tiered players may see those signings and up their play knowing damn well its going to pay off for them. Here.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAttack View Post
Trevor Bruess over Bradley? Really? One's a 10-goal NHLer. The other's not even a 10 goal ECHLer.

Bradley is far from a waste of roster space. In fact, I'd say he's one of the better 4th liners in the league.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:28 PM
apollo71426

Flash will be at 2nd line center until they realize that was a horrible idea. Then BB will put perreault at 2nd line center and if he isn't scoring at a point per game pace he will demote him back to 3rd line center and say he wasn't producing enough.

apollo71426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 01:31 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

If MP earns a roster spot and contributes at both ends of the ice fairly consistently, my hunch is that he'll be part of a WSH package that lands them a legitimate #2 C at the TDL. MP's small stature and high skill level makes him a mixed bag -- desirable and undesirable at the same time -- ie, perfect trade bait.

I think Andrew Gordon also makes the team even if only because of his waiver exemption expiry, especially since GMGM went to such great lengths to avoid officially re-signing Belanger (once the Steckel/Bieksa deal fell through). Gordon too, seems to be a likely candidate for a later trade, if he proves he can partially contribute as a rookie at the NHL level.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

No chance Perreault doesnt make the team opening night. His line with chimera and fehr seem to have nice chemistry. I expect him to make the team I from what i saw at camp I expect alot of production out of the 3rd line this year.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2010, 02:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
If MP earns a roster spot and contributes at both ends of the ice fairly consistently, my hunch is that he'll be part of a WSH package that lands them a legitimate #2 C at the TDL. MP's small stature and high skill level makes him a mixed bag -- desirable and undesirable at the same time -- ie, perfect trade bait. .
That really flies in the face of McPhee's style. If Perreault wins a roster spot and is good, he's not going to trade him. If Johansson earns the spot and is good and Perreualt does well as an injury fill in during the season, then I might see McPhee trading Perreault. He would be a spare part rather than a primary part.

McPhee trading a player that has played his way onto the NHL team and then thrived with a career ahead of him being traded for a rental makes no sense.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:41 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
No chance Perreault doesnt make the team opening night. His line with chimera and fehr seem to have nice chemistry. I expect him to make the team I from what i saw at camp I expect alot of production out of the 3rd line this year.
Apparantly Perreault has another year of being excempt from waivers. If the choice is sending Johansson back to Sweden where he is lost for the season or sending Perreault to Hershey were he can be recalled at anytime, logic says they keep the two players rather than just one.

This assumes that both prove they can play in the NHL.

Alzner got sent to Hershey because he could be while lesser players were kept on the roster because they might be lost on waivers. That basic reality qualifies as a shot.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Apparantly Perreault has another year of being excempt from waivers. If the choice is sending Johansson back to Sweden where he is lost for the season or sending Perreault to Hershey were he can be recalled at anytime, logic says they keep the two players rather than just one.

This assumes that both prove they can play in the NHL.

Alzner got sent to Hershey because he could be while lesser players were kept on the roster because they might be lost on waivers. That basic reality qualifies as a shot.
Johansson didnt impress me much from what i saw, I know he didnt have the best line mates but i dont think he is ready to play a important role on a cup contending team, If he is our best option as 3rd line center we are in trouble this year.

Edit: If i had to project his production for this season i wouldnt expect anything better then a matt pettinger seaosn

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote