HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Old
11-15-2010, 01:24 AM
Fallschirmyager

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
MP will be up within a month or two hopefully to center the 3rd line not sure where that will put Flash...but yeah I do think he'll be up sooner rather than later...dang...6 assists tonight?
If he'd do half that on a semi regular basis in the Nhl instead of the Ahl, he'd never leave. Honestly, I think the CAPS are biding their time to see whether the flash experiment will work out. Flash not earning his 2.6 will most certainly open a slot for MP if he's still around for next year. His consistency or lack there of could be his biggest issue in sticking and he'll become trade bait for someone desperate.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:06 AM
hoopla

I think it's up to GMGM and BB. I think MJ is yet to prove himself in the NHL, but the management is hoping he's going to be the next Backstrom, which is doubtful since Backs is centering OV and MJ will be centering second or third line wingers. On the other hand Eakin over MP - I just dont know. MP does not shy away from the corners, Eakin plays on bounces. I have not seen him go in the corners and dig the puck out. Physically both MJ and Eakin are bigger. But I dont buy Eakin over MP based on their skills. I think Caps will use MP in a trade. He certainly has some value there.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
MP's future here is clouded. He didnt win a job outright in camp. He fizzled in his only callup this year. Nick Marcus Flash and Eakin aren't going anywhere anytime soon. His future seems tied to Marcus more than anything.

So, Marcus looked confused? He was probably trying to figure out what a grown man would do with a rookie's signature on a napkin.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The Caps keep giving him opportunities, but he never looks like the same player in game 5/6 after his callup as he looks in game 1/2. It's probable that he will get more opportunities over the course of the year.

We have all read this book before. This isn't the first undersized player either to be too good for the AHL but not quite good enough for the NHL, nor to look great immediately after his callup but to fade after a few games. The Caps aren't through with him as a prospect, and he has more opportunities still to come. He will be in DC soon enough. He has to be better than he has been in the past, however. Once he loses his waivers-exempt status, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Caps give up on him, if they haven't traded him at the deadline before that point.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
So, Marcus looked confused? He was probably trying to figure out what a grown man would do with a rookie's signature on a napkin.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
MP's future here is clouded. He didnt win a job outright in camp. He fizzled in his only callup this year. Nick Marcus Flash and Eakin aren't going anywhere anytime soon. His future seems tied to Marcus more than anything.

Please don't say that or even think it.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The Caps keep giving him opportunities, but he never looks like the same player in game 5/6 after his callup as he looks in game 1/2. It's probable that he will get more opportunities over the course of the year.
I don't pretend to know anything about prospects, but I do find it amusing that this somehow became the prevailing storyline with regard to Perreault's NHL future.

He's had an NHL callup of more than 5 games exactly once. And he's had a total of just 24 NHL games.

Washington doesn't play its prospects at the NHL level for whatever reason. Whether that's a reflection on the player (Gordon/Perreault) or a failure on the organization (Lepisto) is impossible to say.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:10 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

If Phoenix slips and is not in contention for the playoffs, I could see GMGM sending PRO to the Coyotes for Belanger. Belanger currently with a 1 year 750g salary. An acquistion of Belanger would be for 3 C.

Who knows if such a scenario occurs involving the Coyotes, perhaps the Caps could also acquire Jovanovski who will also be a UFA. This way the Caps acquire some veterans for the playoffs as well as address some needs on D and at Center. An acquisition of Jovanovski would probably involve a draft choice and some AHL assets to include Pinner.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Please don't say that or even think it.
It gets worse. I actually think Flash's fine performance through the first few games playing center was enough for Bruce to pencil him in to be our starting 2C when the playoffs start, regardless of anything else. We are loaded at both wings but I still think Flash is better suited to wing.

Maybe MP's future is tied more to Flash than Marcus. MP has got to dominate in his callups to become a fixture in our lineup. I get the sense that he is not one of Bruce's guys.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't pretend to know anything about prospects, but I do find it amusing that this somehow became the prevailing storyline with regard to Perreault's NHL future.

He's had an NHL callup of more than 5 games exactly once. And he's had a total of just 24 NHL games.

Washington doesn't play its prospects at the NHL level for whatever reason. Whether that's a reflection on the player (Gordon/Perreault) or a failure on the organization (Lepisto) is impossible to say.
If you would prefer the number four, or three, or took specifics out of it entirely, I would have no problem with this. Perreault looks great as soon as he gets called up, and then he fades, and then he gets demoted. Rinse, repeat. He rarely gets demoted looking like a million bucks. He's usually half the player he was when he arrived by the time the Caps send him down again.

There have been guys the Caps have squandered for whatever reason, and it's frustrating, but I'm reluctant to include Perreault on that list.

Small players with offense and little else, who dazzle in the AHL but struggle in the NHL, are hardly unprecedented. With some notable exceptions, size matters. He'd have to hustle each shift, like he does when he first arrives, to make the grade. If he can sustain that level of play, he has a chance.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
It gets worse. I actually think Flash's fine performance through the first few games playing center was enough for Bruce to pencil him in to be our starting 2C when the playoffs start, regardless of anything else. We are loaded at both wings but I still think Flash is better suited to wing.

Maybe MP's future is tied more to Flash than Marcus. MP has got to dominate in his callups to become a fixture in our lineup. I get the sense that he is not one of Bruce's guys.
Absolutely agree and I think most on these boards would as well. Would not mind seeing something like this:

8-19-22/28
14-90-22/28
21-15-16
25-39-26/10

Old
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

None

/thread

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Absolutely agree and I think most on these boards would as well. Would not mind seeing something like this:

8-19-22/28
21-90-22/28
14-15-16
25-39-26/10
I'd prefer that more.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Roccoman

fun fact about Metropolit: he played in a roller hockey league in 97.

he's also bigger (at least taller) than PRO and it took him 4 years from the Caps giving up him to make a mark in the NHL again. an undrafted and undersized skill guy that worked and grinded his way to the NHL, bouncing thru every league known to man and over in Europe too.

its easy to root for MP - little guy with skill and speed and he tears it up at the AHL level. at best i see him being a late bloomer at the NHL and by that point he will be long gone from the Caps (rightly or wrongly)

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:12 PM
yay

Chris Bourque anyone?

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Devil Dancer

MP has already shown a lot more at the NHL level than Bourque has.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
hoopla

or MJ for that matter.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:54 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
MP has already shown a lot more at the NHL level than Bourque has.

Exactly!

And....I do not buy the argument of MP fizzling aftr a few games as he played over 100 games at pro level last season and during that course was one of the best in Hershey in the playoffs.

Look at the way they use MP....they give him a candy playing a couple of games with semin, and then they send him down to 4th line and few minutes.

The fact is that the Caps will never give him a real chance unless they are caught to the throat for a centerman.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I Still Can't Believe No One Posted His Future In Caps

edit: $#%@#^%$&$^ I guess you can't type all caps in this forum

Last edited by HSHS: 11-15-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
artilector

I've been a big fan of MP, but his last recall was really disappointing after that hot start. He was pretty invisible, even effort-wise.

My biggest problem with BB's strategy is that I think we've seen enough of Flash to know that he is not the long-term answer at center, 2C or 3C. We don't yet know this about Mojo and MP, so why not play them in the regular season? My second problem is that MP is somehow being held to a (much) higher standard than Flash/Mojo. He's not that much worse defensively, at present, but his leash appears to be much shorter.

But I'm resigned to the fact that MP is only going to get these short stints in which he has to decisively outperform Flash/Mojo or be sent back. And now I'm pessimistic about his ability to crack the lineup, especially in these circumstances.

As for the future beyond this season, I have no idea. If I had to bet, I guess I'd say the Caps roll with Mojo + a Belanger-like UFA/trade. I refuse to believe that the great Flash experiment at center will continue. I'd give Perreault a 30% chance of sticking around with the Caps.

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I've been a big fan of MP, but his last recall was really disappointing after that hot start. He was pretty invisible, even effort-wise.
I missed the Car and Minn game. I saved them but got lazy to watch. MP was the only reason I wanted to see. You can read people's posts but I wanted to see the chances created and his energy.

So for that I'm not pounding the table. Can't, no data.

I still believe the kid will be a NHLr somewhere. And I just wish that we could figure out a way to maximize his strengths and limit his downside.

Flash-MP-Fehr is my only solution. As its been forever.

Old
11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It does seem that Bruce has a short leash for MP. I am not sure why, it just may be that Bruce has higher allegiances to others he is competing against (Flash and Steckel).

I think Bruce is tempted to give Marcus a long leash merely because of his pleasant experience with Backstrom. Swedish rookie first round pick center thing. Moving Backstrom to center gave this team a viable first line and Bruce never looked back. The thing holding back Marcus may very well be Flash getting so many 2C reps. That causes a logjam stuffing MP in the minors with little left to prove there.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-15-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post

I still believe the kid will be a NHLr somewhere. And I just wish that we could figure out a way to maximize his strengths and limit his downside.

Flash-MP-Fehr is my only solution. As its been forever.
Sign me up.

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This kid is going the route of Andrew Brunette. Another guy the Caps wouldn't give time.

I think MP ends up having a decent NHL career once he gets traded this spring.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote