HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
  #126
fsnoles98
Registered User
 
fsnoles98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Still not understanding how Steckel is better then:

Beagle
MP
A. Gordon

Yes in faceoffs, but not in anything else.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
  #127
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
If Perreault was an actual former 1st round pick, he would already be playing for the Caps.

His 6th round selection makes him a lowballed commodity rather than a hot commodity.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:58 PM
  #128
OVrocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Still not understanding how Steckel is better then:

Beagle
MP
A. Gordon

Yes in faceoffs, but not in anything else.
And faceoffs are pretty important? He's our faceoff specialist and he's pretty good on the PK, those are valuable skills to have in your lineup. It's not like Beagle or Gordon are some crazy snipers, they're not any better offensively than Stecks and MP isn't a 4th line grinder.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
  #129
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,319
vCash: 50
It appears Stecks isnt the fat cat as much these days. He was rusty but is much better lately, you know, by just working hard. Steckel going 1+1 +3 recently is not a coincidence. We have an energy line doing good things right now...

Steckel doing well hurts probably hurts MP's chances further. Unless there is some random trade, but Gordon's injuries make it less likely IMO.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
  #130
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
If Perreault was an actual former 1st round pick, he would already be playing for the Caps.

His 6th round selection makes him a lowballed commodity rather than a hot commodity.
You don't honestly believe that do you. Once a player us drafted all bets are off and performance and, where some selectivity comes in, contract/player options are all that matters. MoJo, because if his options to go to Sweden and mp having to be in Hershey is what makes an otherwise close decision, easy. Not mojo's draft status alone.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
  #131
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It appears Stecks isnt the fat cat as much these days. He was rusty but is much better lately, you know, by just working hard. Steckel going 1+1 +3 recently is not a coincidence. We have an energy line doing good things right now...

Steckel doing well hurts probably hurts MP's chances further. Unless there is some random trade, but Gordon's injuries make it less likely IMO.
Can't take anything away from stecks. He shielded puck and made nice pass for a blast from erskine. But don't count too much of all that craziness from last night to continue. But the individual play ge made, possession then to the point is a solid play nonetheless for a grinder or heck even a skilled guy. And you throw a few good plays together in a row and that's how they'll score consistently while not subjecting themselves to numerous breakdowns.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
  #132
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
And faceoffs are pretty important? He's our faceoff specialist and he's pretty good on the PK, those are valuable skills to have in your lineup. It's not like Beagle or Gordon are some crazy snipers, they're not any better offensively than Stecks and MP isn't a 4th line grinder.
since when is steckel "pretty good on the PK?" When he loses the faceoff, he's a liability out there. Amongst forwards that were here the entire year and played at least a minute per game on the PK (about half the forwards), Steckel was out there for more goals per 60 minutes on the ice any forward. So far this season, he's dead last amongst forwards that take a PK shift.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:40 AM
  #133
hoopla
Registered User
 
hoopla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
You don't honestly believe that do you. Once a player us drafted all bets are off and performance and, where some selectivity comes in, contract/player options are all that matters. MoJo, because if his options to go to Sweden and mp having to be in Hershey is what makes an otherwise close decision, easy. Not mojo's draft status alone.
Well, with all things being equal skill wise and position, a first rounder will be on the team sooner than the 6th rounder -that's a fact. Being a BB's boy wouldn't hurt.


Last edited by hoopla: 11-16-2010 at 06:49 AM.
hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:20 AM
  #134
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21
 
Blue Dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
MP could be the undisputed #1 C right now for the following teams...for half a season at a time:
-NYR
-NYI
-TOR
-CBJ
-STL
-NSH
-PHX
-EDM
-CGY
Are you related to MP? I fully disagree with this part of your post. Not sure what the half a season at a time part means, but the list is a mile long of guys that could produce in the AHL and not in the NHL. Chris Bourque comes to mind directly when looking at MP. In MP's games in the N and preseason he would look dominate at points, and yet because of his size he just didn't work.

I won't say MP can't make the NHL but I would say 60pts is likely his peak and I have serious doubts he ever reaches that.

Just for fun I'll break down the teams you listed. I'll list the guys they have and why they would not start a midget rookie.

-NYR - Anisimov, Bubisnky, Stepan. NYR bring their rookie C's along slow like Anisimov last year. He is blooming well, as Stepan will soon. All three are better now and will have better NHL careers than MP.

-NYI - Tavares may not be scoring what peeps thought he would, but you really think MP would do better? Neilson and Baily are not great this season, but I'd still take either over MP. Though I do think NYI could find a spot for MP on the third line and then promote if he did well. But line 1C? Nope.

-TOR - Kadri is their own highly regarded prospect, so why is MP NHL ready over him when he has just of good #s in the A? They also have Grabo at C who has high offensive skills but is small. While he is not very good defensively his size also holds him back. I don't see TOR, especially w/Burke there, playing a small C.

-CBJ - Brassard will be a very good NHL center if he stays healthy. And he is producing. Why on earth would you say MP could play over him? Have you ever seen a CLS game? They also Have Umberger and Vermette that would play circles around MP in the NHL right now.

-STL - Oshie, Berglund. Yup. Not to mention guys like McDonald, Steen, McClemmet who can play C. A solid C prospect in McGrae in the minors. Lots of room for MP there.

-NSH - Trotz won't even play his own dominating rookies/AHL players. Lombardi when healthy, legwand and Cal O'Reily would keep MP in the minors there.

-PHX - Hanzal, Turris, Belanger. Please expalin how MP would be a better NHL player than these guys right now?

-EDM - I can def see EDM playing another small forward rookie over Gagner, Horcoff, Cogliano. ugh. No shot in EDM. MP would be like their 20th ranked prospect.

-CGY - CGY does not have much depth but it is another team that is not high on rookies in key roles. If they were then backlund would be getting full time 1C time. Backlund's upside is far greater than MP, IMHO. Now add in vets like Stajan and Morrison. Not high end players, but MP would not beat them out of a job thsi season.

I will agree that MP is more NHL ready than Marcus right now, but Marcus gets the shot not just because he was a higher pick, but because his skill-set and size dictate that he'll be a legit 2C center one day with great passing skills for PP1 time in spots. He needs to be adjusting his game more to the NHL and learning at that level because the Caps know they need Marcus more than they need MP and they know in the playoffs, even if MP could find a way to produce through the regular season, he'd be man handled by bigger guys. Can MP get stronger and could he be producing more at the NHL right now than Marcus. Yes, but I don't think and it seems the Caps don't think that MP could hold up to the NHL game right now.

I know plenty of small sized players have made it in the NHL. I just don't think MP is ready yet to face bigger and faster Dmen then he sees in the AHL right now. I won't deny he has some good looking skills and moves. I will deny he could be a #1C right now on ANY NHL team. For half a season, a full season or a week.

I hope MP has a great NHL career and I enjoy watching him, I just have my doubts it will be in WSH.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:32 AM
  #135
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscho17 View Post
Well, with all things being equal skill wise and position, a first rounder will be on the team sooner than the 6th rounder -that's a fact. Being a BB's boy wouldn't hurt.
All things being equal but draft position.... Well duh if it's the only thing left than of course. But more likely it would be size and projection that dominates the decision which is basically alignment with draft position.

But in the real world, ALL things are never equal. If MP wasn't waiver exempt, there's a discussion to be had on which way the caps would have gone. I tend to think gmgm would have returned mojo to Sweden due to his nuts philisophy. But perhaps the reasoning bb gave about def would have pushed mojo through that magical threshold in which gmgm abandons his nuts for the best of the current team.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
  #136
hoopla
Registered User
 
hoopla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Trueman!

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
  #137
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Are you related to MP? I fully disagree with this part of your post. Not sure what the half a season at a time part means, but the list is a mile long of guys that could produce in the AHL and not in the NHL. Chris Bourque comes to mind directly when looking at MP. In MP's games in the N and preseason he would look dominate at points, and yet because of his size he just didn't work.

I won't say MP can't make the NHL but I would say 60pts is likely his peak and I have serious doubts he ever reaches that.

Just for fun I'll break down the teams you listed. I'll list the guys they have and why they would not start a midget rookie.

-NYR - Anisimov, Bubisnky, Stepan. NYR bring their rookie C's along slow like Anisimov last year. He is blooming well, as Stepan will soon. All three are better now and will have better NHL careers than MP.

-NYI - Tavares may not be scoring what peeps thought he would, but you really think MP would do better? Neilson and Baily are not great this season, but I'd still take either over MP. Though I do think NYI could find a spot for MP on the third line and then promote if he did well. But line 1C? Nope.

-TOR - Kadri is their own highly regarded prospect, so why is MP NHL ready over him when he has just of good #s in the A? They also have Grabo at C who has high offensive skills but is small. While he is not very good defensively his size also holds him back. I don't see TOR, especially w/Burke there, playing a small C.

-CBJ - Brassard will be a very good NHL center if he stays healthy. And he is producing. Why on earth would you say MP could play over him? Have you ever seen a CLS game? They also Have Umberger and Vermette that would play circles around MP in the NHL right now.

-STL - Oshie, Berglund. Yup. Not to mention guys like McDonald, Steen, McClemmet who can play C. A solid C prospect in McGrae in the minors. Lots of room for MP there.

-NSH - Trotz won't even play his own dominating rookies/AHL players. Lombardi when healthy, legwand and Cal O'Reily would keep MP in the minors there.

-PHX - Hanzal, Turris, Belanger. Please expalin how MP would be a better NHL player than these guys right now?

-EDM - I can def see EDM playing another small forward rookie over Gagner, Horcoff, Cogliano. ugh. No shot in EDM. MP would be like their 20th ranked prospect.

-CGY - CGY does not have much depth but it is another team that is not high on rookies in key roles. If they were then backlund would be getting full time 1C time. Backlund's upside is far greater than MP, IMHO. Now add in vets like Stajan and Morrison. Not high end players, but MP would not beat them out of a job thsi season.

I will agree that MP is more NHL ready than Marcus right now, but Marcus gets the shot not just because he was a higher pick, but because his skill-set and size dictate that he'll be a legit 2C center one day with great passing skills for PP1 time in spots. He needs to be adjusting his game more to the NHL and learning at that level because the Caps know they need Marcus more than they need MP and they know in the playoffs, even if MP could find a way to produce through the regular season, he'd be man handled by bigger guys. Can MP get stronger and could he be producing more at the NHL right now than Marcus. Yes, but I don't think and it seems the Caps don't think that MP could hold up to the NHL game right now.

I know plenty of small sized players have made it in the NHL. I just don't think MP is ready yet to face bigger and faster Dmen then he sees in the AHL right now. I won't deny he has some good looking skills and moves. I will deny he could be a #1C right now on ANY NHL team. For half a season, a full season or a week.

I hope MP has a great NHL career and I enjoy watching him, I just have my doubts it will be in WSH.

Your post is very long, but it does not bring any new matter to this discussion.

I amd one who believes that MP did NOT have the opportunity to prove that he can be a legit 2C.....let alone a 3C...

We are miles apart on his potential as I have read multiple posts on multiple topics about MP.

The opinions go from North to South Pole on that matter depending on whom you talk....

He has much more potential than you want to make us believe....there we agree to disagree.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
  #138
FrankM73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
If Perreault was an actual former 1st round pick, he would already be playing for the Caps.

His 6th round selection makes him a lowballed commodity rather than a hot commodity.
This is quite close to the truth... look at A.Gordon!

but sadly, who is he going to bump off the Caps roster in the bottom 6? Bradley (heart and soul guy), Hendricks (fast becoming a fan fav), Chimera (fast as hell, but overpaid IMHO), A.Gordon (YES, leading candidate), Steckel (either A.Gordon or Steckel, can't bump both)

The reality is that no org will give up assets just because a younger asset plays well for a little while when they can stow them in the minors and not lose them.

next year A.Gordon makes the team, hopefully Flash is gone, Bradley resigns for the same 1 mil, and maybe A.Gordon or Steckel is gone...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:19 AM
  #139
exwhaler
Registered User
 
exwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Exactly!

And....I do not buy the argument of MP fizzling aftr a few games as he played over 100 games at pro level last season and during that course was one of the best in Hershey in the playoffs.

.
At the AHL level. Which is no where near the NHL level of play. Which also is why the league is littered with guys who rack up points and minutes in the AHL but who are completely different players in the NHL. Just ask Trent Whitfield.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
  #140
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,941
vCash: 500
the caps have more players than they have room for. this is good.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
  #141
Roccoman
Registered User
 
Roccoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 4,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
At the AHL level. Which is no where near the NHL level of play. Which also is why the league is littered with guys who rack up points and minutes in the AHL but who are completely different players in the NHL. Just ask Trent Whitfield.
this guy


or this guy


or this guy


and thats just the 1st three names that popped into my head from the Caps organ-AYE!-zation.


look, MP seems like a good kid, and he has great skills... the question will always be his size and ability to stick at (and indeed thrive) at the NHL level.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
  #142
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Still not understanding how Steckel is better then:

Beagle
MP
A. Gordon

Yes in faceoffs, but not in anything else.
Come on...Steckel is one of the top faceoff guys in the league. Incredibly important skillset.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
  #143
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,841
vCash: 500
As a fan base, I can't believe that we spend as much time as we do, talking about this player.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
  #144
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
As a fan base, I can't believe that we spend as much time as we do, talking about this player.
this is sort of where this team is right now. there is really nothing of value to talk about. so we fill the time with stuff that doesnt matter because its there.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:54 PM
  #145
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
As a fan base, I can't believe that we spend as much time as we do, talking about this player.
Because we wuv him.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
  #146
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 28,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
As a fan base, I can't believe that we spend as much time as we do, talking about this player.
I know I don't.

So there!


strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:39 PM
  #147
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
MP has 2 points in 3 games

MoJo has 1 in 8

Marcus I think will be sent down if he doesn't pick it up, meanwhile you have Matt Hendricks playing the role of ultimate 4th liner and IMO playing much better.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
  #148
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21
 
Blue Dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Your post is very long, but it does not bring any new matter to this discussion.

I amd one who believes that MP did NOT have the opportunity to prove that he can be a legit 2C.....let alone a 3C...

We are miles apart on his potential as I have read multiple posts on multiple topics about MP.

The opinions go from North to South Pole on that matter depending on whom you talk....

He has much more potential than you want to make us believe....there we agree to disagree.
i'm basing my opinion on past players, and what i have seen of him here in DC and the few games i watched him in the minors. i reallt really hope i am wrong on him.

i don't think he lacks for potential, i am just not sold his game will translate to the NHL and if it does i really have my doubts it will be in WSH as he could be an appealing trade piece to help the Caps fill out their playoff team.

i have my fingers crossed for him.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
  #149
Fallschirmyager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
MP has 2 points in 3 games

MoJo has 1 in 8

Marcus I think will be sent down if he doesn't pick it up, meanwhile you have Matt Hendricks playing the role of ultimate 4th liner and IMO playing much better.
to this post and add the person commenting on the length of the leash is the same answer. MoJo gets more time to prove himself because he just got here. He has to adjust to a completely new style of hockey than does MP and frankly, MoJo's ceiling is significantly higher than MP's.

Also, Marcus doesn't have to go to Hershey if he doesn't want to. He can elect to go back to his SEL team instead. That means even if he plays 3c he's staying.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:31 AM
  #150
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Are you related to MP? I fully disagree with this part of your post. Not sure what the half a season at a time part means, but the list is a mile long of guys that could produce in the AHL and not in the NHL. Chris Bourque comes to mind directly when looking at MP. In MP's games in the N and preseason he would look dominate at points, and yet because of his size he just didn't work.
Well, if you would have understood that part, you would have realized the opening statement was hyperbole followed by a contradicting qualifier, used in combination to elicit humour or create dramatic effect.


Quote:
I won't say MP can't make the NHL but I would say 60pts is likely his peak and I have serious doubts he ever reaches that.
It's kind of like what you did here, minus the intent -- which is important, since otherwise, you discredit the rest of your post, unfortunately.


Quote:
Just for fun I'll break down the teams you listed. I'll list the guys they have and why they would not start a midget rookie.

...
Good for you, bud...at least you got your rocks off.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.