HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perreault's future with Caps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2010, 06:12 AM
  #151
rockinghorse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Also, Marcus doesn't have to go to Hershey if he doesn't want to. He can elect to go back to his SEL team instead. That means even if he plays 3c he's staying.
I'm agreeing that Marcus has talent, skating and good size for the NHL and will make it.

However I'm uncomfortable that he has the advantage because he can threaten to take his ball and go home. No doubt this was part of the consideration of whether to play him in the NHL or play him in Hershey for a year like any other North American player.

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM
  #152
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Assuming that the Caps do decide to move him (not saying they will), what do you think his value is?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
  #153
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,641
vCash: 500
I think he's involved in the C acquisition package this deadline.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
  #154
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
so every time he hits a wall your just going to send him down? Im glad Detroit doesnt take this route or else Modano, Hudler, Cleary would have been waived three weeks ago. If you let him work through his 5-6-7th game hump then it will help him develop as a pro. My 2 cents.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
  #155
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 50
They'd be a lot more patient with him if it weren't for the waiver-exempt factor. It's an easy move to send him down.

I agree that he seems like the type of player they'd move in a package for a 2C at the deadline but we'll see if something lines up. That's a tough spot to go out and fill, not just in terms of finding the right type of player but the right contract. A rental would be less problematic obviously but that's likely a pretty thin market. McPhee may need to think outside the box a bit if he's going to tweak things up front.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:02 AM
  #156
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I think he's involved in the C acquisition package this deadline.
Agree. This was the gist of my earlier comment in this thread, if Yotes begin to fade, could see GMGM do another "return to sender" trade ala Jurcina and send PRO to the Yotes for Belanger. Belanger signed what a one year deal at 750 Gs. Of course Belanger is not a 2C but rather a 3C. This way return Boyd to the 4th line for the POs and have 90/14 for the 2C position for the playoffs.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:09 AM
  #157
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,131
vCash: 50
I think the Belanger bridge is pretty well torched. They need a more dynamic player offensively anyway.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
  #158
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
so every time he hits a wall your just going to send him down? Im glad Detroit doesnt take this route or else Modano, Hudler, Cleary would have been waived three weeks ago. If you let him work through his 5-6-7th game hump then it will help him develop as a pro. My 2 cents.
He was up here as a fill in, though. He wasn't expected to stick, so sending him down wasn't a reaction to him hitting a wall, it was more a lack of reaction (he didn't force them to make a move to keep him).


Until this most reason callup he hadn't been put in much of a position to stick. Before playing with Semin he was generally flanked by the likes of Sloan and Bradley. At some point, when they decide they need to make a long term evaluation of him (if they're considering trading him, for example) he'll probably be put in a more favorable position and with a longer leash.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM
  #159
hoopla
Registered User
 
hoopla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
so every time he hits a wall your just going to send him down? Im glad Detroit doesnt take this route or else Modano, Hudler, Cleary would have been waived three weeks ago. If you let him work through his 5-6-7th game hump then it will help him develop as a pro. My 2 cents.

Detroit does a way better job with player development in general, hence 11 Cups.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:28 AM
  #160
Govechkin
Registered User
 
Govechkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
PRO seems like a valuable asset to the team if a top scorer goes down with injuries. They used him as a fill-in for Ovechkin last year if I am not mistaken, and that makes him useful at least until the deadline. If you take a look at what is coming in the future years (what I think GMGM does a lot more than we think), our centers are Backs, Eakin, Mojo, PRO, Steckel, and some fill-ins like Hendricks and maybe Gordon. I don't count Flash because I don't think he will be playing center too much longer in Washington.

If the Caps think they can put together three scoring lines next year, they should get max value for PRO and get a defenseman, which seems like an area of weakness for the Caps right now. Even if we lost Backs or Mojo to long term injury next season, their plethora of third and fourth line wingers could fill in, and even Brooksie could take some shifts at center. Next year looks to me like:

OV Backs Semin
Laich Mojo Flash
Chimera Eakin Fehr
Hendricks Steckel Gordon

With Bradley and King (if he is around) for fourth line wing duties, and Knuble somewhere (we'll see what he has in the 'offs and make a roster decision with him, IMO they should let him leave, too many hungry young players with better wheels, and the team come next year shouldn't be in such a need of veteran players, seeing as they will be vets themselves).

Govechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
  #161
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Agree. This was the gist of my earlier comment in this thread, if Yotes begin to fade, could see GMGM do another "return to sender" trade ala Jurcina and send PRO to the Yotes for Belanger. Belanger signed what a one year deal at 750 Gs. Of course Belanger is not a 2C but rather a 3C. This way return Boyd to the 4th line for the POs and have 90/14 for the 2C position for the playoffs.
Having 90/14 at the 2C position seems to be what worries most of us a lot more than having BGordon at 3C (especially given that if we find a new 2C, MoJo could take over 3C anyway).

The obvious problem is that there's not a whole lot quality top-6 centers on the market. Even looking at players who become UFAs in 2012 (which I may actually prefer to a true rental if it's the right player, given that it gives MoJo more time to grow into the 2C role), the quality ones are either on contending teams and/or likely won't be traded (Stoll, Sharp, Umberger). Unless we want to role the dice on one of Calgary's plethora of declining centers (Jokinen, Langkow, Hagman) with healthy salaries, there really isn't a whole lot out there.

The only semi-plausible target that I see is Tim Connolly somewhere closer to the deadline (assuming Buffalo continues to struggle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I think the Belanger bridge is pretty well torched. They need a more dynamic player offensively anyway.
Agreed on both counts.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
  #162
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Agree. This was the gist of my earlier comment in this thread, if Yotes begin to fade, could see GMGM do another "return to sender" trade ala Jurcina and send PRO to the Yotes for Belanger. Belanger signed what a one year deal at 750 Gs. Of course Belanger is not a 2C but rather a 3C. This way return Boyd to the 4th line for the POs and have 90/14 for the 2C position for the playoffs.
LOL...Belanger? Really? Safe to say that relationship is DONE.

Besides....we don't need another semi-talented bottom 6 C. We need a legit #2. 90 and 14 don't get it done....90 in a year or two maybe....not this season.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:40 AM
  #163
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govechkin View Post
PRO seems like a valuable asset to the team if a top scorer goes down with injuries. They used him as a fill-in for Ovechkin last year if I am not mistaken, and that makes him useful at least until the deadline. If you take a look at what is coming in the future years (what I think GMGM does a lot more than we think), our centers are Backs, Eakin, Mojo, PRO, Steckel, and some fill-ins like Hendricks and maybe Gordon. I don't count Flash because I don't think he will be playing center too much longer in Washington.

If the Caps think they can put together three scoring lines next year, they should get max value for PRO and get a defenseman, which seems like an area of weakness for the Caps right now. Even if we lost Backs or Mojo to long term injury next season, their plethora of third and fourth line wingers could fill in, and even Brooksie could take some shifts at center. Next year looks to me like:

OV Backs Semin
Laich Mojo Flash
Chimera Eakin Fehr
Hendricks Steckel Gordon

With Bradley and King (if he is around) for fourth line wing duties, and Knuble somewhere (we'll see what he has in the 'offs and make a roster decision with him, IMO they should let him leave, too many hungry young players with better wheels, and the team come next year shouldn't be in such a need of veteran players, seeing as they will be vets themselves).
Look at Boston who are way deeper than the Caps at center and look at what kind of problem they are in at present:
with Krejci and Savard, out, they are playing Bergeron as their #1 centerman with playing Wheeler/Seguin on the 2nd line center...
Campbell on the 3rd line.
But....they also have Colborne/Hamill in the pipeline but they are not ready....similar to Johanssen/Eakin situation...

Boston would love to have an option like MP ready to play center in an offensive role at the moment.

The reality is that offensive centermen are worth gold in this League specially when there is a scarcity of supply like now.

MP deserves to be tried seriously at center by the Caps before envisioning any kind of exterior help or even envisioning MoJo at the #2 C position.....it would be simply good management to do so.
It is now time for a serious trial and what do the Caps have to lose doing it?

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
  #164
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
It is now time for a serious trial and what do the Caps have to lose doing it?
In short, MoJo and Perreault.

MoJo can flee to Sweden for the season and once Perreault plays enough games he'll lose his waiver-exempt status.

Granted, it would take a very-long trial (46 games) for MP to lose out on his waiver-exempt status, but any trial of that length would likely cause MoJo to head back to Sweden (assuming he's sent to the AHL while MP is up).

But, in theory, I think this is what the Caps' management is being a little cautious about. They will likely give MP a bigger audition at some point, but they're probably waiting for an injury to do so.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:58 AM
  #165
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,809
vCash: 500
* Boston would want Perreault as a backup in Providence when they are healthy minus Savard. With Savard, they would have plenty of depth.
* If McPhee brings in a new center from outside, it will be to get a veteran with playoff experience. Its something the Caps are short on. Perreault doesnt provide that.
* Its also likely that McPhee would be looking for a center to provide more penalty killing skill with that playoff experience. Perreault doesn't provide that.
* McPhee might also be wanting to add some grit with that acquisition. Perreault doesnt bring that.

As you can see there are many reasons why McPhee might add a center not named Matty Perreault.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
  #166
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,076
vCash: 500
Perrault wouldn't do particularly well in Boston's defensive system.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:04 AM
  #167
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,935
vCash: 500
Perreault isn't with the Capitals right now primarily because the Capitals have quality forwards coming out of their ears. It's not like the Caps are unwilling to keep a player with promise who isn't producing. They are carrying Fehr and Fleischmann right now, better players than Perreault who are still finding their game and who have the opportunity to work through those growing pains.

This isn't the Hudler situation. A Capitals comparable to Hudler is Fehr. Perreault? He's more like the Caps' version of someone like Detroit's Joakim Andersson. Hudler is on an entirely different skill set and tool kit plane than Perreault. This is a 6th rounder.

The issue is depth at the position. As a forward, Perreault doesn't have the tool set to have a chance to crack this club's forward group when the team is healthy. He makes an excellent first callup, though. Right now, that's his lot. Next year, as he loses waivers exempt status, the Caps will need to make a decision: Play him, or at the very least keep him on their roster as a #13/#14 forward; else expose him to waivers. The waivers system exists for this reason. If one team is hoarding talent, the system exists to give players who can play in the NHL a chance to stick elsewhere.

If I had to bet, he will end up like Giroux or Bourque, going as a tweener on a good team to a tweener on a lesser team, and then a bad team, and then back to the AHL as a lifer or Europe for a larger paycheck.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
  #168
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
...

MoJo can flee to Sweden for the season and once Perreault plays enough games he'll lose his waiver-exempt status.

Granted, it would take a very-long trial (46 games) for MP to lose out on his waiver-exempt status, but any trial of that length would likely cause MoJo to head back to Sweden (assuming he's sent to the AHL while MP is up).

...
No, Perreault's games played to hit waiver exempt status is more than 46 games. See 13.1 waiver table (and the short version in the contract/salary thread)...it's based on age at signing ELC and years from signing. Perreault (Jan. '88) was 20yo when he signed his ELC in March 2008 effective for the 2008-09 season.

Was his waiver exempt status a factor in sending him down to start the season, likely, although roster slots were an issue, too, and he's simply not a lock for an NHL roster. The Caps depth at forward (and knock on wood) relative health to date at forward are also issues for playing time.

Johansson: There are pros and cons to learning on the job in the NHL vs spending some time adjusting to the NA rink/style of game in the AHL, but I don't see him as a liability on the ice, outside of some games in the faceoff circle (and as noted last night, not an issue.) And as people have noted, it is enjoyable watching the kid skate.

There is lack of clarity over Johansson and the option to return to Sweden stuff based on GMGM's comments at the start of the year vs what was reported at the time he signed his contract, but I do believe the possibility of his heading to Sweden was a possible factor in the early decisions.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:10 AM
  #169
ColincampbellOscopy
Registered User
 
ColincampbellOscopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Uh oh, pucksandbooks giving it to Vogel on the twitter about Perreault. Mostly MJ90 bashing, but clearly pining for Matty P.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:15 AM
  #170
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Uh oh, pucksandbooks giving it to Vogel on the twitter about Perreault. Mostly MJ90 bashing, but clearly pining for Matty P.
I can never meet that guy.

Im just saying.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
  #171
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Yeah the Caps are loaded with skilled forwards and Perreault is waiver exempt. It is a no brainer IMO that he is stashed in Hershey because he can be. If Johansson was amenable to spending significant time in Hershey then he and Perreault splitting time between the Caps and Bears might be ideal but that isn't the situation.

I could definitely see him moved to upgrade the current team in a deadline deal though with others who aren't Boudreau guys IMO like Fehr.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
  #172
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,935
vCash: 500
Would, say, a package of Perreault, Orlov, 1st rounder be able to land a big fish?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
  #173
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Would, say, a package of Perreault, Orlov, 1st rounder be able to land a big fish?

Orlov - - I believe he has more value as a Caps prospect than as a trade chip due to the Russian factor.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:21 AM
  #174
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
No, Perreault's games played to hit waiver exempt status is more than 46 games. See 13.1 waiver table (and the short version in the contract/salary thread)...it's based on age at signing ELC and years from signing. Perreault (Jan. '88) was 20yo when he signed his ELC in March 2008 effective for the 2008-09 season.
46 MORE games. He already has 24 under his belt. 24 + 46 = 70, the limit for a 22 year old.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
  #175
Hivemind
We're Touched
 
Hivemind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 16,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Orlov - - I believe he has more value as a Caps prospect than as a trade chip due to the Russian factor.
I'd tend to agree.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.