HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So is it too early to talk about this years draft?

Old
11-14-2010, 10:16 AM
isles93

vCash: 500
So is it too early to talk about this years draft?

Seems like the only thing to be excited about at this point

isles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Aucoin3

haha wow in November!

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Yeah.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:25 AM
scott99

Keep an eye on the WJHC, should get a preview of Couturier and Adam Larsson. I think Larsson would be a great pick. We already have several stud forward prospects (Tavares, Niederreiter, Petrov & Kabanov). Only 2 studs on D (Hamonic & DeHaan). I think Larsson is better than both of them.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

10 in a row in November Thanks for making it interesting for the fans Garth. Yeah its too early for the draft but at this rate we really cant talk about any positive. The Coliseum is going to be empty.. I like to go to 1-2 games a year but Ill save my money.

Lakers are rocking and the Raiders are doing a decent job so ill switch to my west coast teams. This organization can leave tomorrow and I wont care. 4 more months till Spring Training

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:35 PM
VT Isles Fan

Starting to reconsider those tickets I bought for the day after Christmas vs. the Habs...

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:40 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Keep an eye on the WJHC, should get a preview of Couturier and Adam Larsson. I think Larsson would be a great pick. We already have several stud forward prospects (Tavares, Niederreiter, Petrov & Kabanov). Only 2 studs on D (Hamonic & DeHaan). I think Larsson is better than both of them.
Well, here we go. BPA.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:54 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Never too early for draft talk.

Personally I like Ryan Murphy, defenseman from Kitchener of the OHL. A bit on the small side for a blueliner at 5'11, but he has great wheels, tremendous vision and sick offensive skill. Add to that he is reliable in his own end and he truely is a complete d-man. Mainly though, he fits exactly what Gordon is trying to build here. His speed and transition game will make this team faster and much better offensively. Now you add this guy to a core that already includes deHaan, Hamonic and MacDonald and the Isles will be looking very solid on the backend for the future. If Streit still has a decent amount of gas left in the tank, the Isles blueline will be a big strength with all these guys playing up to their potential.

As far as Larsson goes, I haven't seen much on him, most of my opinions on him are based off of what I read, and I have read numerous times that Larsson has been considered a better prospect than Victor Hedman at the same age. Considering how much hype there was surrounding Hedman, that is extremely impressive. He is a big guy at 6'2 and is built, which is huge considering, outside of Hamonic, all the defenseman that the Isles expect to be contributing to this team in the future happen to be on the smallish, less physical side.

If the Isles finish with the 1st overall pick, it is hard to see them not draft Larsson. Murphy, right now, is probably between the 3-5 range as far as top prospects for this draft, and I'm not so sure his stock will pass that of Adam Larsson. Offensively, Sean Couturier and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins could be considered, but I think the combo of Larsson's potential being so damn high, and the Isles feeling comfortable with the young forwards they already have in the organization(JT, Okposo, Bailey, Nino, KK, Petrov, Nielsen, etc.) make it likely that they will choose the defenseman over the forward(although, I do think Nugent-Hopkins will be a great forward at the NHL level).

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:59 PM
bossy22

NHL Central Scouing releases its initial list tomorrow so this is the time of year when I start reading up on the draft. Pundits indicate its a good draft class with many potential NHL prospects. Deep enough that GMs will be reluctent to part with their 2nd rounders, not that we have many moveable assets to add additional picks. As for a lotto pick, we are well on our way and I'd be happy with any of the big 3 as we need to upgrade everywhere. If I had my pick, I'd take Couturier.

bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 01:58 PM
CodeE

1. Terrible regular season
2. Draft one of the top-3 players
3. Hear Pierre McGuire compliment Snow's "outstanding drafting ability"
4. Hope we can sign some free agents to compliment the youth
5. Sign old and/or useless players
6. Hear that this will be the year the rebuild ends
7. Return to 1

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Isles Junkie

Whether it's too early or not to discuss our teenage hockey fetish is debatable. It's certainly too depressing though.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:04 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Hey, did the argument "we should let Nino develop here on the island because of how amazing Bailey looks this year" end yet??

Let's just land one of the big three.... We still need everything..

Nugent-Hopkins has one thing that Bailey and Tavares don't have.. speed.

Can't go wrong with a future top pairing D-man in Larsson..

Can never have enough top end forwards with size.. Bailey and Tavares still getting pushed around.. Couturier and Niederreiter would add a nice tough element to the top 2 lines for the future.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post
1. Terrible regular season
2. Draft one of the top-3 players
3. Hear Pierre McGuire compliment Snow's "outstanding drafting ability"
4. Hope we can sign some free agents to compliment the youth
5. Sign old and/or useless players
6. Hear that this will be the year the rebuild ends
7. Return to 1
Nothing about "collect underwear" and "profit"?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
onesinceforty

I've got my eye on one of the two Defensemen Branislav Mezei or Kristian Kudroc.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesinceforty View Post
I've got my eye on one of the two Defensemen Branislav Mezei or Kristian Kudroc.
Mike Milbury had an eye on both as well

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
It's definitely too early to start talking about this. But that really shouldn't stop us, especially since it's mroe fun than talking about anything current with the team.

The top 3 appears to be Larsson, Couturier and RNH, in no particular order. All three would be great additions to the team. Couturier is so gifted in talent, skating and size, while RNH is smaller but adds more speed up front. The bonus, is that both seem better suited to the 1st line C position than Tavares, which would allow us to move him to wing and have Bailey and Nielsen round out the top 3 C positions, which is pretty solid. If we go D, Larsson seems like a beast. Very good size, mobility, and a very high hockey IQ. The only possible knock is that he isn't super physical, but he does seem willing to use his size. He'd be the only younger guy in the system who could be a legit #1 and top defenseman in the league, which I believe our system still needs.

If we're outside of the top 3, there are still some very intriguing guys like Landeskog, Murphy and Musil. Of course, as mentioned, it's way too early, so a lot will likely change both with where we might be drafting and where we rank these guys.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I started entertaining draft thoughts about a week ago, to a degree it's only natural given the context. First of all, we're sorta used to this kind of thing (whether we like to admit it or not, or engage in it or not). Moreover, perhaps our young players haven't developed as much as we thought they would at this point, coupled with injuries to 2 core players, again, I don't see why not. This franchise still needs to augment its core's talent, bottom line, another top-3 pick could not hurt that.

Granted, I'd much prefer PO contention b/c I am sick of expecting to lose (and actually losing), and the culture it creates, but the situation is what it is; I do not see this team improving itself enough to vie for a PO spot. Hoping they prove me wrong, but on some levels as a team they even look like they've regressed (injuries exacerbate of coarse) respective to 09/10.

My last point, if we take a look at 3 successful rebuilds (yes, I'm bringing up the Caps, Pens, and Hawks), each franchise had two years of drafting in the top-4 before they became contenders (Hawks-Kane/Toews, Pens-Sid/Malk, Caps-Ovy/Backs, NYI-JT/?). I am no way stating that I believe the Isles will follow in the path of the afore., but this fact is worth acknowledging. However, whether NYI establishes the kind of environment these young talent can flourish in is another story, and the most concerning one if you are an NYI fan.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'm still for us finishing 8th and then picking either Rieder or Jensen with like the 30th pick.:-)

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
It's definitely too early to start talking about this. But that really shouldn't stop us, especially since it's mroe fun than talking about anything current with the team.

The top 3 appears to be Larsson, Couturier and RNH, in no particular order. All three would be great additions to the team. Couturier is so gifted in talent, skating and size, while RNH is smaller but adds more speed up front. The bonus, is that both seem better suited to the 1st line C position than Tavares, which would allow us to move him to wing and have Bailey and Nielsen round out the top 3 C positions, which is pretty solid. If we go D, Larsson seems like a beast. Very good size, mobility, and a very high hockey IQ. The only possible knock is that he isn't super physical, but he does seem willing to use his size. He'd be the only younger guy in the system who could be a legit #1 and top defenseman in the league, which I believe our system still needs.

If we're outside of the top 3, there are still some very intriguing guys like Landeskog, Murphy and Musil. Of course, as mentioned, it's way too early, so a lot will likely change both with where we might be drafting and where we rank these guys.
If what you said is true, re: the bolded part (and I have no idea if it is true or not) and we're in a position to pick him, with the past emphasis on hockey IQ the Snow regime has shown in past drafts, I think he'll be our man.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Can't go wrong with Larsson or Couturier. Both are big boys who can play a two way game & step in right away.

Moulson Tavares Okposo
Bailey Couturier El Nino

OR

Striet Larsson
Eaton Hamonic

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:28 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

I feel like bulldozing my head off. I can't believe it's November and this is starting.

Not saying it isn't rightfully so, I'm just saying that this is just downright ridiculous that TWO YEARS removed from drafting Tavares, the flavor-of-the-week in 2009, we have to revisit who the newly found hero is.

If the best junior hockey player ever(arguable) can't lift us out of the sidewalk scum, than I really don't have much hope for Nugent whoever the **** Hopkins is.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
bringbackziggy

If we finished last my pick would have to be either Larsson or Nugent-Hopkins even though I think Couturier will be the better player at the forward position. Word is that Nugent-Hopkins is better suited to play the wing in the NHL and is more of a pass first playmaker than a finisher/sniper. That being said i would love to see a speedy winger flying down the ice and setting up Tavares in the slot for a goal 40 times a year.

bringbackziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:35 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Nothing about "collect underwear" and "profit"?
I'm not sure about "collect underwear" but I very much rule out "profit" in any way, shape, or form.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I feel like bulldozing my head off. I can't believe it's November and this is starting.

Not saying it isn't rightfully so, I'm just saying that this is just downright ridiculous that TWO YEARS removed from drafting Tavares, the flavor-of-the-week in 2009, we have to revisit who the newly found hero is.

If the best junior hockey player ever(arguable) can't lift us out of the sidewalk scum, than I really don't have much hope for Nugent whoever the **** Hopkins is.
But that's just it. The organization is asking 3 20-21 year olds to lift them out of the sidewalk scum, when they should only be pieces to the puzzle.

Tavares not being able to carry the club in his 2nd season isn't a knock on JT. It's a knock on Wang & Snow for not giving him any talent to play with.

As for the 2011 draft, I know nothing about these guys. But it's nice to see though that the top 3 guys, which is likely where the Isles will be, have good size. This is one tiny ass club and I'm tired of it.

Eventhough they're douches, I want to build the team like the Flyers. They have size, speed & skill in their top 6. That is what the Isles need. They have size & toughness in their defense. That is what the Isles need.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:36 AM
IslandersFan25*

I'm really upset, I don't think I'll ever see my Isles win a stanley cup...I was born in 1994, the year I still dread to this day...

If you watch highlights from 2003 and this year, the coliseum goes from almost packed to legit 2-3/4 full.

Sad.

I really wish we would just send out a message by trading for one of the best players in the NHL, like a Semin or Zetterberg...I know this isn't possible, but we and Edmonton are still the joke of the NHL...again.

IslandersFan25* is offline   Reply With Quote