HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

So is it too early to talk about this years draft?

Old
11-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
It's a 5 player draft as far as I'm concerned. In no particular order:

Couturier
Nugent-Hopkins
Murphy
Larsson
Landeskog

Also, BFPA. Best ****ING player available! Everytime! Anything else is totally amateur.

All five of those guys have so much to be excited about. Larsson is probably the most boring of all of them, but he's still a tremendous prospect.

Couturier plays like Lecavalier. I'm a little worried about his consistency at the NHL level.
Landeskog plays like Sundin but he fights and mucks it up, he's a beauty.
Nugent-Hopkins plays like Datsyuk. Very crafty and very smart in his own zone.
Murphy plays like Paul Coffey, he's all over the ice, such a dynamic offensive threat from the blue line and good defensively for a smaller dman.
I can't think of a great comparison for Larsson. From my viewings, he's the next big overrated Swedish defenceman. Seems to be one or two every year. He might be the best of the bunch but he's still not as good as he's made out to be. He plays a nice smart game, he'll never wow you with anything but he'll make smart, consistent plays in all three zones. Better than Hedman and Ekman-Larsson though.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Not saying it isn't rightfully so, I'm just saying that this is just downright ridiculous that TWO YEARS removed from drafting Tavares, the flavor-of-the-week in 2009, we have to revisit who the newly found hero is.
Yep, a bitter Islander reality that seems to rear it's ugly head at some point each and every season.

It hurts man, it hurts.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
It's a 5 player draft as far as I'm concerned. In no particular order:

Couturier
Nugent-Hopkins
Murphy
Larsson
Landeskog

Also, BFPA. Best ****ING player available! Everytime! Anything else is totally amateur.

All five of those guys have so much to be excited about. Larsson is probably the most boring of all of them, but he's still a tremendous prospect.

Couturier plays like Lecavalier. I'm a little worried about his consistency at the NHL level.
Landeskog plays like Sundin but he fights and mucks it up, he's a beauty.
Nugent-Hopkins plays like Datsyuk. Very crafty and very smart in his own zone.
Murphy plays like Paul Coffey, he's all over the ice, such a dynamic offensive threat from the blue line and good defensively for a smaller dman.

I can't think of a great comparison for Larsson. From my viewings, he's the next big overrated Swedish defenceman. Seems to be one or two every year. He might be the best of the bunch but he's still not as good as he's made out to be. He plays a nice smart game, he'll never wow you with anything but he'll make smart, consistent plays in all three zones. Better than Hedman and Ekman-Larsson though.
I know far too little about the guys you mention and I'm sure we'll hear more and more and more once the WJC has been played and thereafter.

Larsson however is the one guy I know a little about. I can understand your assessment when one watches him playing. I for one don't care for his shooting style, although his shots are hard and accurate.

Nonetheless, the kid has simply been achieving things few others in Sweden have ever achieved at his age and has been absolutely dominating at international tournaments playing with kids in his age group. To think that he's already in his second SEL season as a top 4 Dman for a 2nd placed squad and he's NOT EVEN BEEN DRAFT-ELIGIBLE yet speaks absolute volumes. From what I've seen and heard from Swedish officials and hockey pundits, the kid simply has no real flaws to his game. He does it all.

However, at the moment, he's got Rundblad (playing phenomenal) and Erixon ahead of him in the pecking order in the SEL. Veterans Lindgren and Majesky are ahead of him as well, so that he's not really getting many prime opportunities in an offensive capacity.

Still, at this juncture, I don't see the need to mention Hedman anymore. Larsson is the better prospect - he's Doughty-caliber.

Murphy:
Saw a Don Cherry bit and he's in the Murphy-boat. Feels he's the top guy to draft and a future winner, winner, winner. He's raving about him as much as he raved about Stamkos, who he was really all in favor of.

For all his faults, my impression has always been that Cherry can usually identify a real winner - well, if the kid comes from Canada.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote