Notices

Latest: Earl & Scandella Up (11/13)

Old
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Latest: Earl & Scandella Up (11/13)

Well it took long enough, but Gillies is going back down and the team is going for toughness with Kassian.

Quote:
Michael Russo
Matt Kassian has a stall in locker room. I think we know the callup, haha #mnwild
6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Quote:
Michael Russo
#mnwild will call up another fwd to replace Gillies; Richards said if Bouchard gets green light, plan is for him to eventually go to Houston
8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Roster Moves

Okay maybe the Russo prefix would be better but come on, they're tidbits!

Per @russostrib:

Kassian up
Gillies down to get more ice time
Bouchard very close, will go to Houston when cleared
Zidlicky day-to-day

Discuss.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I went with recalled/assigned.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Dr Jan Itor

What's Kassian's offensive ability? Is he up just to pick a fight on Friday?

Moving Gillies down is fine by me, though. Don't want him up here just to play 8 minutes a game; that's what Earl should be for.

Good to hear about Bouchard. We can definitely use him.

What did Zidlicky get hurt with?

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Jbcraig1883

I am probably in the minority here but I thought Gillies looked good last night. As good as a 4th liner can get, I suppose. He was getting in on the forecheck and being physical. His speed was evident and now Staubitz/Kassian will make that a much slower line.

I liked Kassian's preseason but I am surprised he is the one that got the call...it just seems redundant to have him and Staubitz in the lineup at the same time when we are lacking speed/offense.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:13 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Kassian is as fast as Gillies.

Last season with the Aeros games I went to... Almond was the slower skater on the Gillies - Almond - Kassian line. In multiple rushes, it was Gillies/Kassian crossing the line at wing before Almond.

KC leaned on that line a lot late last season.

Kassian has stone hands, but he's not slow...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's fine by me. I don't think anyone down in Houston is going to "solve" our top six issues.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That's just because Bouchard isn't there yet.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Kassian is as fast as Gillies.

Last season with the Aeros games I went to... Almond was the slower skater on the Gillies - Almond - Kassian line. In multiple rushes, it was Gillies/Kassian crossing the line at wing before Almond.

KC leaned on that line a lot late last season.

Kassian has stone hands, but he's not slow...
Hmm, I guess I'll have to watch him more. I've only seen Kassian at the training camps and throughout preseason, and thought he was similar to Staubitz. He has average speed but his first few strides are slow whereas Gillies' acceleration is quicker.

But, like I said, small sample size...

Old
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
nickschultzfan

I also don't like Gillies up here. Don't see the point. Wish he and Wellman could get some chemistry and points going down in Houston.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gillies shouldn't even be top six in Houston, I don't understand why people think he's magically going to turn into a top six player.

Kassian is a lot like Staubitz, but he was a real **** disturber in the preseason and looked great.

Look at this bottom six:

Clutterbuck - Madden - Nystrom
Kassian - Brodziak - Staubitz

Nobody in the league wants to play against that.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Pilney21
Who?

vCash: 950

I would much rather see Robbie Earl get the call up. I must be missing something that management sees in Earl because he would be a regular in my lineup. I think Earl offers more than Gillies, Brodziak, and Kassian.

I really like the third line. I think they offer toughness and some production. But the fourth line brings very little to the table besides toughness. I don't think other teams are going to be afraid of a line that barely sees the ice and has no skill.

Put Earl on that line instead of Kassian and it becomes just as good as the third line.

Pilney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:25 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Hmm, I guess I'll have to watch him more. I've only seen Kassian at the training camps and throughout preseason, and thought he was similar to Staubitz. He has average speed but his first few strides are slow whereas Gillies' acceleration is quicker.

But, like I said, small sample size...
There were four players that I thought really stood out from the Aeros last year.

After one game in february, two in march and one in april... These are the players that really stood out to me as being "almost ready"

Falk. There was no question that late in the season, he was the best defenseman for the Aeros. I was shocked to see the kid move as quickly and maintain very solid positional play. Constantine was relying on him a lot on the penalty kill. During the game in Rockford, he took the puck end to end, stopped at the left face off dot, and fired an effin lazer passed Crawford. Crawford looked for the puck as if it was a "shot along the boards" and when he saw the red light, he hung his head in shame. I laughed my ass off and almost got slugged by an Icehogs fan.

Almond. He's got third line center potential already written on him. That's his upside, so don't be thinking that he will ever crack a scoring line. In #FireToddRichards system, Almond would be ideal for a fourth line center. In watching him play, he's got the vision, sufficient speed, but solid defensive awareness. I wanted to see him make the jump to our fourth line this year, but instead we signed #WaiveJohnMadden.

Gillies. Gillies was at least a year away last spring. His confidence is just not there yet and he has shown no real improvement in his most recent call up in that area. He has the speed. He has the physicality, but his vision and awareness isn't where we were sold (by DR) for his potential. He's a third, fourth line grinder, not a power forward. His confidence issues will hurt him as a defensive forward, however, he was used on the PK a lot by Constantine.

Matt Kassian. Dude is big. Dude is bulky. Dude isn't slow like Boogaard or Scott. His hands are stone, but he has the vision. Four games, two Kassian fights where he destroyed his opponent. The trade for Staubitz really irked me because I thought it was Kassian's role to lose this season and I was rooting for the kid.

The line of Gillies - Almond - Kassian is one of our future third/fourth lines. Constantine leaned very heavily on them for all crutch situations and they didn't disappoint. It was Almond - Kassian and Falk and one other D that killed off the majority of the penalties. Even then, Falk was clearing the crease, which at the time, I really wished that our D could learn...

Earl...

Earl is what he is... I don't see him really ever landing a permanent gig on an NHL team and being a career tweener. He's got the speed, but he doesn't necessarily have the hockey IQ to find the sweet spots. I also don't see him really having the puck control at speed that Wellman already possesses. Earl also is not very physical.

Old
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
There were four players that I thought really stood out from the Aeros last year.

After one game in february, two in march and one in april... These are the players that really stood out to me as being "almost ready"

Falk. There was no question that late in the season, he was the best defenseman for the Aeros. I was shocked to see the kid move as quickly and maintain very solid positional play. Constantine was relying on him a lot on the penalty kill. During the game in Rockford, he took the puck end to end, stopped at the left face off dot, and fired an effin lazer passed Crawford. Crawford looked for the puck as if it was a "shot along the boards" and when he saw the red light, he hung his head in shame. I laughed my ass off and almost got slugged by an Icehogs fan.

Almond. He's got third line center potential already written on him. That's his upside, so don't be thinking that he will ever crack a scoring line. In #FireToddRichards system, Almond would be ideal for a fourth line center. In watching him play, he's got the vision, sufficient speed, but solid defensive awareness. I wanted to see him make the jump to our fourth line this year, but instead we signed #WaiveJohnMadden.

Gillies. Gillies was at least a year away last spring. His confidence is just not there yet and he has shown no real improvement in his most recent call up in that area. He has the speed. He has the physicality, but his vision and awareness isn't where we were sold (by DR) for his potential. He's a third, fourth line grinder, not a power forward. His confidence issues will hurt him as a defensive forward, however, he was used on the PK a lot by Constantine.

Matt Kassian. Dude is big. Dude is bulky. Dude isn't slow like Boogaard or Scott. His hands are stone, but he has the vision. Four games, two Kassian fights where he destroyed his opponent. The trade for Staubitz really irked me because I thought it was Kassian's role to lose this season and I was rooting for the kid.

The line of Gillies - Almond - Kassian is one of our future third/fourth lines. Constantine leaned very heavily on them for all crutch situations and they didn't disappoint. It was Almond - Kassian and Falk and one other D that killed off the majority of the penalties. Even then, Falk was clearing the crease, which at the time, I really wished that our D could learn...

Earl...

Earl is what he is... I don't see him really ever landing a permanent gig on an NHL team and being a career tweener. He's got the speed, but he doesn't necessarily have the hockey IQ to find the sweet spots. I also don't see him really having the puck control at speed that Wellman already possesses. Earl also is not very physical.
Awesome, thanks!

I appreciate you taking the time to give us some info.

Old
11-03-2010, 02:48 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Gillies shouldn't even be top six in Houston, I don't understand why people think he's magically going to turn into a top six player.

Kassian is a lot like Staubitz, but he was a real **** disturber in the preseason and looked great.

Look at this bottom six:

Nobody in the league wants to play against that.
A "true" top-6? No. A poor man's Andrew Ladd? Sure.

Andrew Ladd is not a goal scorer, but he creates space for line mates and can set-up plays from time to time. Gillies could be the same. Fast, gritty, with some playmaking ability. 10-15 goals, 30-45 points.

A 3rd line LW who can jump up to the 2nd line with injuries.

Old
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A poor man's 3rd liner = a 4th liner

Old
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
A poor man's 3rd liner = a 4th liner
LoL.

Still, in time, with another 2 seasons in Houston, I think Gillies could make an impact as a 3rd line LW.

Why? Because, honestly, Clutterbuck, Nystrom, Earl, and whoever else in Houston don't belong their either. Clutterbuck is always going to be one of those guys where the coach loves and states that "he has a great shot and unlocked offensive potential", but at the end of the year, he has 25 points, whether he's playing on the 1st or 4th line.

Old
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe, but of course we spent a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and 4-5 years of RFA time to get him to that point. And even then, I don't see him cracking 10g and 20pts. Basically for the money and roster spot we could likely do better.

If we get a defensive coach who give Gillies VERY clear instructions on what he wants (i.e. move your feet and cut off passing lanes), he can be a serviceable 3rd liner. With a T.Rich coach that wants to let players create offense on the fly, Gillies will be overwhelmed and lost.

Old
11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
jraider66

Quote:

I also thought Kassian looked good in the pre-season. I wasn't happy to see him being sent down. It will be nice to see what he can do in a few regular games and see how noticeable he can be. I think he is quite a bit tougher than Staubitz, although he has been entertaining too. Throw em all on a line.

jraider66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Kassian is a right winger, though... So is Staubitz.

Hmmm... who will be playing their off-wing? I would prefer to see Staubitz forced into that so we can actually see Kassian in his natural element.

Bleh. Why'd we give up a 5th again??

Old
11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Neither one of them's gonna touch the puck, what does it matter?

Old
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
saywut

Games against the Flames have been some of our chippiest ones. If Latendresse or Miettinen is getting better, its nice to have a 13th forward who you can feel isn't being stunted in the pressbox, and Kassian fits that better than Gillies. Also is a nice confidence booster for Kassian to get a call-up, considering how many Wild fans have been complaining about that pick forever(amazing how a late 2nd rounder can get torn to shreds).

I'd like to see Staubitz play the left side as well, simply because if he isn't playing with Nystrom than his linemate will prefer the right side. Then again, it seems Staubitz likes to think of himself as a d-man at times, because he used to be one.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I am probably in the minority here but I thought Gillies looked good last night. As good as a 4th liner can get, I suppose. He was getting in on the forecheck and being physical. His speed was evident and now Staubitz/Kassian will make that a much slower line.

I liked Kassian's preseason but I am surprised he is the one that got the call...it just seems redundant to have him and Staubitz in the lineup at the same time when we are lacking speed/offense.
I though Gillies looked every bit as good as Wellman during their concurrent call-ups.

I think Kassian is up because someone finally figured out we're not going to beat anyone with our speed and finesse game. We've been playing really well physically for the most part--perhaps we're just playing to our strengths by bringing more beef up.

Kassian is in a different class than Staubitz (fighting-wise) if you're comparing the two. Staubitz is probably more of a middleweight. Another reason to call up Kassian is perhaps to guard against retaliation from stepping up our physical game, if that's what we're going to focus on.

I like both Gillies and Kassian, so i'm fairly meh about this swap.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Per Youngblood via Strib:

Quote:
Some interesting lines practicing, including Cal Clutterbuck on the top line with Mikko Koivu and Andrew Brunette; Kyle Brodziak centering a line with Matt Cullen and Martin Havlat on the wings; John Madden centering Eric Nystrom and Casey Wellman and Pierre-Marc Bouchard skating with Brad Staubutz and Matt Kassian.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:56 PM
nickschultzfan

God our forwards are just pathetic.

And does Richards have an intention to use Bouchard as a center??