HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Markov out , will Gauthier sign a D ?

Old
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Depends how long he's gone for, I suspect. If he has to have surgery again, he could be gone for the season. In that case I'd be surprised if PG didn't go get someone.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
With Markov out , do you think Gauthier will go after a Defenseman with the extra cap space we acquired from the O'byrne transaction ?

Discuss

is Marc Andre Bergeron a possibility ?

We don't need to sign a defencemen...Picard is more than capable of filling in for Markov. Picard isn't going to provide much offence, but he can handle the defensive aspect. Subban, Spacek and Hamrlik will need to provide the offence on the blueline....and if that doesn't work, then maybe we could try calling up Weber since he's had a great start in Hamilton this season.....but we don't need to sign a defencemen and especially not MA Bergeron!!!! Bergeron is a brutal defencemen and would cause more goals against than goals for!!! Keep him away from the Habs lineup at all costs....there are much better options to fill Markovs spot than signing MAB!!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:23 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Hypothetical situation: say Markov is out for this 3 months that's being rumored. Would you trade Hal Gill and possibly Travis Moen to clear cap space to acquire another legitimate, minute eating, top 4 d-man like Keith Ballard or Robin Regehr and have the cap space available for Markov to re-enter the lineup when he's healthy?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hypothetical situation: say Markov is out for this 3 months that's being rumored. Would you trade Hal Gill and possibly Travis Moen to clear cap space to acquire another legitimate, minute eating, top 4 d-man like Keith Ballard or Robin Regehr and have the cap space available for Markov to re-enter the lineup when he's healthy?

Not a bad scenerio, but I'd much rather keep the defence we have right now and maybe recall Weber or Henry from Hamilton to play a game here and there to rest guys like Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik so they aren't overworked like they were last year.

The only way I'd consider making a trade is if the Habs are sick of waiting for Markov to get healthy and sick of his injuries and trade him somewhere for an equal return. I don't want that to happen because Markov is a STUD and I love when he's in our lineup, but you gotta wonder how much longer the organization is willing to put up with Markov being out of the lineup.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
The team was playing well even without Markov,right now before making a move I'd rather we play Picard and call up Weber and give him a shot at this as well.No need to go get a player that will cost us a young player or pick.Doubt there are any big names available out there

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Why are all so excited about Weber? He is -4 with 5 even strength points. Our PP which he is on the first unit and supposedly the top gun is running at just under 13% for the last ten games which includes his goal in tonight's loss. At one point we had a man advantage for 4 minutes and got 3 shots on net.
By the way I watched the Leaf game last night and cannot see how Bieksa will be available.
Never said i was excited about Weber, but i believe that he is first in line to be given a chance with the big club, especially with our PP struggles (last 2 games excluded).

Bieksa has reportedly been available for quite some time. The Nucks have alot of depth on defence, and i believe that they need to clear some salary...might be for Salo's eventual return but im not 100% sure...

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Pax Macioretty

If Markov is out for the rest of the year we have cap enough cap space to get a D of his salary right?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
MTL-rules

Right now, people aren't concern with the absence of Markov... in 10 days from now, I'm sure we'll hear a totally different song...

Markov is our MVP, we got lucky in the first 10 games... we'll miss him enormously...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Right now, people aren't concern with the absence of Markov... in 10 days from now, I'm sure we'll hear a totally different song...

Markov is our MVP, we got lucky in the first 10 games... we'll miss him enormously...

Markov is important to the Habs and yes, we will miss him....but we didn't exactly struggle without him in the lineup. The powerplay was the only thing that struggled and it was starting to get better even before Markov came back....so I think we'll be fine until he comes back.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
3 Months! Yikes!

I guess we have no choice but to try Weber. Certainly not going to get someone like Lilles, Colorado is already devastated.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Hab View Post
3 Months! Yikes!

I guess we have no choice but to try Weber. Certainly not going to get someone like Lilles, Colorado is already devastated.
You really should take a look at Carle, he's been playing better.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
From what I saw he's better than half those guys. He was also wearing an "A" which I guess means he brings some leadership as well. Not sure at this stage what Vancouver would need in return for him, probably more than we got.
Bieksa has played alright but to say he's been better than the other guys would be a stretch. Guys like Alberts & Rome are not as gifted as Bieksa but are performing well. Big problem with Bieksa is his salary ($3.75) and the fact that Vancouver will want to create some cap room and ice time for when Salo returns in December/January.

Realistically if the Habs want to wait they could get Bieksa fairly easily if they are willing to take on the salary. Otherwise the Canucks will likely want a pick + a bottom 6 forward (Moen would be ideal).

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:08 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Weber or Carle

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I think it's Bieksa time.

Would like to see what Weber can do though
i bet he deals weber for him, or some combo

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Bieber fever

how bout Brendon Nash ? he looked good at the tainning camp.......can he play in the nhl ?

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
i bet he deals weber for him, or some combo
I would be extremely pissed if that were to happen.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Komarov47

Let's try Weber and Picard, then go for Bieksa ! Why everyone is bashing MAB? Seriously, yes he was crappy in defense, but hell he scored some important goals !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Markov is important to the Habs and yes, we will miss him....but we didn't exactly struggle without him in the lineup. The powerplay was the only thing that struggled and it was starting to get better even before Markov came back....so I think we'll be fine until he comes back.
PP struggled without him but the real problem is that Spacek and Hammer can't play big minutes every game without looking bad at some point.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
PP struggled without him but the real problem is that Spacek and Hammer can't play big minutes every game without looking bad at some point.
All six D need to play at least 15+ minutes, Spacek and Hamr can't play the minutes they did last year. On the plus side, Gorges looks like he can play big minutes, and Subban has the tools to qb the PP but who's on the other point? Picard or Spacek? Pleks? Weber on the 4th line and PP?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM
alexstream

Dream would be to try to make enough room to stand the run up to next year with Bieksa or Ballard under the cap.
right now, we can b/c of LTIR of Markov...
but when/if he's back, we only have 1.5/2M left.
then, next season, it'd be easy, cause we'd easily free 5.5M just by the departure of Hamr
it's not really doable.
we'd have to send spacek to hamilton lol

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:57 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

If Markov is out for a short (4-6weeks) term, no needs to call up any Dogs or trade for a Dman.

Give a bit more time to Hamr-Spacek Put Gill with Georges back and Put Picard Subban togheter or stick with Gill Subban - Picard Georges. Voila

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Dream would be to try to make enough room to stand the run up to next year with Bieksa or Ballard under the cap.
right now, we can b/c of LTIR of Markov...
but when/if he's back, we only have 1.5/2M left.
then, next season, it'd be easy, cause we'd easily free 5.5M just by the departure of Hamr
it's not really doable.
we'd have to send spacek to hamilton lol
As it stands, markovs 6 mill, gills 2.75 mill and hammers 5.5 mill are all coming off the book july 1.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
shutehinside

How about going after a player like Kaberle if the price is right?

i think he'd do a great job filling in for Markov and I doubt he'd cost more than a roster player or a 2nd. Anything more and I'd have to say no.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
How about going after a player like Kaberle if the price is right?

i think he'd do a great job filling in for Markov and I doubt he'd cost more than a roster player or a 2nd. Anything more and I'd have to say no.
If Kaberle goes UFA, i would totally take Hammer's cap hit to sign him and I'd also keep Markov.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
If Kaberle goes UFA, i would totally take Hammer's cap hit to sign him and I'd also keep Markov.
Yes. I would like the Habs to try to sign Kaberle if he becomes UFA. Kaberle will be an insurance in case Markov got injured or he could not play to the same level as he used to do.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote