HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen's worth with and without Gaborik

Old
11-14-2010, 01:46 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

vCash: 500
Christensen's worth with and without Gaborik

I understand a great player elevates the game of everyone around him as well as opens up more lanes. With that, I don't recall seeing anyone else on this team in recent memory who elevated his game so much when a specific teammate steps on the ice. An AHLer without Gaborik and a 1st line threat with him.

Thoughts? Comments?

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I just think it's a confidence issue with Christensen more than it is a matter of he's nothing without Gaborik.

Last season down the stretch, Christensen's game didn't skip a beat when Gaborik missed a few games.

It didn't help Christensen that Frolov seemed to be snakebiten and that he was also hurt towards the beginning of the year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:04 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

They have a good amount of chemistry together. Christensen comes to play when he's centering Gaborik and it shows.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:04 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I understand a great player elevates the game of everyone around him as well as opens up more lanes. With that, I don't recall seeing anyone else on this team in recent memory who elevated his game so much when a specific teammate steps on the ice. An AHLer without Gaborik and a 1st line threat with him.

Thoughts? Comments?
Jagr with Nylander? Jagr with Hossa?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:16 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Nylander had 20+ goal seasons and potted a few even without Jagr. Plus he's more of a natural talent that Christensen.

Old
11-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

It's all about confidence. When Christ has confidence he can dominate play. Playing with two skilled guys like Frolov and Gaborik helps with his confidence, eh, a lot.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Christensen needs skill on the wings to be effective, obviously. I've liked him since we aquired him, and he does show chemistry with Gabs. When he's confident, he does a lot of good things.

EC's a keeper for now.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Nylander had 20+ goal seasons and potted a few even without Jagr. Plus he's more of a natural talent that Christensen.
Agree 100%. Nylander had more consistency in his game as a Ranger. Christensen can't seem to get going w/ the same consistency unless he is w/ Gaborik.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:

Thoughts? Comments?
I don't know if you're exaggerating to make your point (which is generally understood -- EC and Gabs undeniably have chemistry), but EC is not an AHLer without Gaborik.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Gaborik scored with Dubinsky as his center.

Gaborik scored with Prospal as his center.

Gaborik scored with Christensen as his center.

Gaborik could score with Boogaard as his center.

The fact of the matter is, Gaborik is an elite player, and he can make even mediocre players like Christensen look a whole lot better than they really are.

Eventually Stepan or Anisimov should be playing in that spot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

The fact of the matter is, Gaborik is an elite player, and he can make even mediocre players like Christensen look a whole lot better than they really are.

Sure Gaborik can score with virtually anyone as his center, the fact is he'll score a lot more with Christensen as his center. You can't discount chemistry, even with elite talent. Go ask Pens fans if you don't believe me RE: Malkin

If who was centering Gaborik was such a moot point, then why does everyone make it out to be such a big issue that we don't have a no. 1 center?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
BlueHavok

are you suggesting that gaborik does need a true number 1 center?...maybe thats a good point....would a number one catapult gabby into elite superstardom or just be utilized elsewhere in order to make other players better??.......food for thought.....

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Sure Gaborik can score with virtually anyone as his center, the fact is he'll score a lot more with Christensen as his center. You can't discount chemistry, even with elite talent. Go ask Pens fans if you don't believe me RE: Malkin

If who was centering Gaborik was such a moot point, then why does everyone make it out to be such a big issue that we don't have a no. 1 center?
Agreed. Doesn't matter how Gaborik plays with or without a #1 center. The fact of the matter is that a #1 center elevates the entire team. It makes our team better. Period.
You always look to improve your team and there are obvious and many improvements over Christensen for the 1c throughout the league.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

Because cup contenders tend to have number 1 centers? It's the same reason people fret about us not having a true number 1 d-man. Cup contenders have those guys. People are going to ***** about it until we're contenders again. Let's hope they stop *****ing sooner rather than later.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM
gers*

Shouldn't the fact that the guy only plays well when he plays with one of the best scorers in the league tell you something? IMO he should be the one to lose his spot when drury and prospal come back, just has isnt consistent enough to log top line minutes

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Without Gaborik? His value is next to nothing. With Gaborik? He's an above-average center.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Its not an issue of chemistry - its just an issue of Gaborik being able to make anybody around him better. If Stepan was physically ready for the assignment, theres no doubt in my mind, he would like good alongside Gaborik - if Dubinsky still played center, he'd look very good too. If Brian Boyle played there, he'd be fine. If....well, you get the point.

Basically, the notion that Christensen has "chemistry" with Gaborik is a myth. Hes a marginal NHL player that, given his inconsistency issues and this team's lack of a top end center, is lucky to have a steady NHL job - and even more lucky to be playing with a GREAT player that makes him look good.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 04:18 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Nailed it.

I don't think Christensen has any better chemistry with Gabby than Prospal or Dubi exhibited last year.

The issue with Christensen has always been consistency. He played great today but could disappear tomorrow night. He's prone to inconsistency even when he plays with Gaborik.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 05:43 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Nailed it.

I don't think Christensen has any better chemistry with Gabby than Prospal or Dubi exhibited last year.

The issue with Christensen has always been consistency. He played great today but could disappear tomorrow night. He's prone to inconsistency even when he plays with Gaborik.
Would you rather have a consistent 4th line calibre player or an inconsistent 2nd liner? That's the situation we find ourselves in with EC. I'd prefer the former as at least your not depending on your 4th liners to win you your games.

Old
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

If Christensen keeps talking about situations that didn't involve him to reports after the game a good spot for him would be on the waiver wires.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Christensen is a more skilled player with the puck than any other Ranger center, including Stepan, with the possible exception of Anisimov.

Put a different head on his shoulders and he might be a 70 point player. But hockey is a sport for guys who are arrogant, on the side of cocky. Every study about why kids make the NHL supports that, including the one where more January births are in the NHL because they play against younger kids and dominate growing up.

EC is too, Emo, I guess would be the word to be a consistant NHL player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 07:43 PM
bscharf

Hes a good fit on this team especially with gabby and hell suprise you once in a while with a snipe. Ive grown to like him.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Without Gaborik? His value is next to nothing. With Gaborik? He's an above-average center.
That's my answer. Nothing more.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Jagr with Lang

the list goes on...sometimes chemistry is just right for funny reasons.... don't question it just ride it. Especially since there is not a clear better solution unless Christ is being shopped for the impending trade for Brad Richards. And tha you run the risk of ellusive chemistry that never really sticks...

Gomez'd

11-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

If and when Prospal comes back (and assuming he gets back to top form), I want him playing with Gabby, either as the C or LW. I agree that Gaborik can make anyone look better than they are, but I do think that Prospal has legitimate chemistry with Gaborik. He knows how to work the give and go, he knows when to get him the puck, and he knows where to look for him.

Frolov Prospal Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Avery Stepan Drury/Christensen
Prust Boyle Fedotenko

Unfortunately, one of Drury/Stepan/Christensen/Fedotenko will have to go, and another is going to be a healthy scratch whenever Boogard plays.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote