HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
12-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
I know +/- is a debatable stat but Sauer leads all rookies(forwards and defensemen) in the NHL with a +8 and he leads the team as well with the +8.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...#ixzz17i7IMKzq

Wife? 23 year old guy with a wife. There should be a law against any guy under 40 getting married.

People always accuse Avery of being selfish and point out when he doesn't take part in goal celebrations. This picture shows a guy who is very happy to a teammate. Love Avery; loving Sauer.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:55 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
People always accuse Avery of being selfish and point out when he doesn't take part in goal celebrations. This picture shows a guy who is very happy to a teammate. Love Avery; loving Sauer.
He's probably a mix of both but of course people are over analyzing him and watching for any sign of bad moreso than possibly any other hockey player today. He's had a great ranger career overall. While it seems to be winding down he was a buttload of fun. Same for Sauer and all these homegrown guys stepping up it's a buttload of fun.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
haha and Prust too. beauty pic

Sauer is going to make it easier to move Rozy next yr. I figure he was the only vet inflence ont the team but with the way Girardi and Sauer are playing on the Right side helps big time. I think it's a given one of McDonaugh/Valentenko makes the team next yr for sure

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

He gets about 20 shifts a night, getting about 15 minutes of ice time. A big uptick from the beginning of the season as well. He definitely has impressed over the course of the start of the season. As long as he stays healthy, he should be a staple on D for the rest of the season and the foreseeable future.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Just uploaded...

Sauer's 1st NHL Goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQk8JwCS2Q

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:02 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I swiped this from another site. Sauer has 0 giveaways.

NHL Stats

That is the definition of a dependable, stay-at-home D-man.
Thought I'd check back and see how our Mike is doing -- Answer is not bad, not bad at all. 2 Giveaways in 27 games. That's a phenominal stat.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

So here we are, halfway through the season - Del Zotto has been sent down - Gilroy has gotten some confidence back, Eminger has surprised, Rozy, Staal and Girardi have been rocks for the most part...

And theres nothing being said about Sauer... the coaches, the fans... this thread has dropped to the 6th page.

And thats a GREAT THING for this team.

He's the type of guy you want to hear nothing from. He hasnt been flashy, he hasnt made many mistakes. Hes tough on the man, can dropem if he has to, sticks up for his teammates, and has played a solid defense to offense game. Hes a defense first defenseman and hes quietly gone about his business effectively.

34 games into the season, hes a plus 9 and logging anywhere from 12 to 18 minutes per game. Nice job Mike, this is exactly what this team needed.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I like him.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:50 PM
MSG the place to be*

He's the type of defenseman that makes you wonder why these guys don't grow on trees. Since they don’t, we should be happy to have this guy around. Very pleasant surprise.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Stepan Glass
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Thought I'd check back and see how our Mike is doing -- Answer is not bad, not bad at all. 2 Giveaways in 27 games. That's a phenominal stat.
This is a little off the topic of Sauer, but I just did some research into giveaways and takeaways around the NHL and noticed that between the three of them, Boyle, AA, and Feds have about 10 combined giveaways and 60 combined takeaways. The puck possession of these big guys has really helped to shape the identity of the team, and Sauer fits in perfectly with what this Rangers team is trying to accomplish on the ice every night.

Stepan Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
useref15

My favorite Ranger along with Prust.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Sauer is just so solid. It's a beautiful thing when a rookie can step in and you're surprised when he makes a mistakes.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 09:06 PM
JerseyRangers

Early in the season I called him a "poor man's" Adam Foote. I take that back. He's slowly developing into the next Adam Foote. Just incredibly solid and for a rookie never seems to be in over his head. This is the type of guy that you put out there for the next 10 seasons and not worry about what he's going to do. Great to finally have him on the team.

Last edited by JerseyRangers: 01-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.
JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts made these comments last week about Sauer

Quote:
“You never notice him. That’s good for a defenseman,” Tortorella said.
Quote:
“For a young guy in his first year, his positioning is really good, and that’s key for him,” Tortorella said. “He’s done a great job away from the puck defensively, and offensively as well, jumping into holes so we can have four guys on the attack.”

Sauer made the team in training camp, beating out veteran tryout Garnett Exelby and prospects McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko and Tomas Kundratek.

“It’s a huge thing for the organization because no one expected it,” Tortorella said.
http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1014

Sauer beat out McDonagh and then Sauer's play helped make Rozsival expendable which opened a spot on D now being filled by McDonagh.

If Rozsival doesn't hurt his ribcage and Frolov doesn't get hurt,McDonagh probably never plays a game and is sent back to the AHL. Rozsival doesn't get traded for Wolski if Frolov didn't rip his knee apart.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:26 PM
mrhockey193195

He is reminding me so much of Danny Girardi when he was first called up. And that's a great thing, if Sauer turns into a player as dependable as Girardi.

Also, am I the only person who thinks Sauer's stride is very similar to Beuk's? Something about the way he skates and looks on the ice reminds me of Jeff.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:24 PM
squishy

Quote:
“It’s a huge thing for the organization because no one expected it,” Tortorella said.
Tortorella might not have expected it, but if no one else in the organization expected it, they should fire the entire hockey ops staff. All you had to do was watch him play in Hartford to know what he could do.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
satrabyk

He plays a very similar game to Luke Schenn in Toronto, I really like Sauers game. I also like how protective he is of his teammates and goalie.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
He is reminding me so much of Danny Girardi when he was first called up. And that's a great thing, if Sauer turns into a player as dependable as Girardi.

Also, am I the only person who thinks Sauer's stride is very similar to Beuk's? Something about the way he skates and looks on the ice reminds me of Jeff.
Sorry to say but i think he looks better than Girardi when he first came here. I also think Sauer pretty dependable as of now compared to Girardi.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:23 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Tortorella might not have expected it, but if no one else in the organization expected it, they should fire the entire hockey ops staff. All you had to do was watch him play in Hartford to know what he could do.
I'm glad you found that comment as disturbing as I did. My eyes nearly popped out of my head reading that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:46 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Geez what are they taking darts and chucking them at a dartboard?

He's lying 20 prospects in 20 days told me they totally expected it. lol.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Edge

Quote:
I gotta admit, I kind of agree with him. Sauer was getting dangerously close to drifting into the Baranka type territory and he's overcome that. I don't think most people would have put money that he'd be this solid, this soon. Of course fans always think that about their favorite players and try to look like a geniuses when it works (and stay mum when it doesn't), but the reality is that he was a bit of a wild card.

Having said that, Sauer has always been a talented kid. I remember watching him in the WHL and commenting on here that I felt he was actually more naturally talented than Staal but he hadn't yet put it together. While injuries and other factors have changed certain aspects, I don't expect him to ever be as good as Staal at this point, he's turning himself into a nice NHL player and that is great for the Rangers.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:37 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I gotta admit, I kind of agree with him. Sauer was getting dangerously close to drifting into the Baranka type territory and he's overcome that. I don't think most people would have put money that he'd be this solid, this soon. Of course fans always think that about their favorite players and try to look like a geniuses when it works (and stay mum when it doesn't), but the reality is that he was a bit of a wild card.
I can't say I agree. If he was a wild card or drifting into Baranka territory, it wasn't because of his play. He's been playing this way for a while.

Quote:
Having said that, Sauer has always been a talented kid. I remember watching him in the WHL and commenting on here that I felt he was actually more naturally talented than Staal but he hadn't yet put it together. While injuries and other factors have changed certain aspects, I don't expect him to ever be as good as Staal at this point, he's turning himself into a nice NHL player and that is great for the Rangers.
He may not be as good as Staal, and probably never will be, but he'll be more than just a nice NHL player. The way he plays, he's already more than that. He's an excellent defensive defenseman. In a year or two, he'll be even better. Not too many players in this league that are as good as he is defensively, as well adjusted in terms of positioning, but that are also able to make a smart, quick first pass and add some physicality into the mix. He's a gem as long as he stays healthy.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Vitto79

top 4 Dman for yrs to come. thinking DZ and Sauer, McD and Gilroy for next yr. I'll be eating crow if Gilroy keeps it going.

Signing Staal and Girardi long term seems to be paying off. I would lock up Sauer for 2 atleast. Similar to Prust

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
All you had to do was watch him play in Hartford to know what he could do.
Maybe they were fully aware of his level of play in Hartford but weren't confident/sure it would translate to the NHL level the way it has this season.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote