HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You're right, but keeping this particular fact in mind, I'm of the opinion that Sauer is already a better all-around player than Girardi. I'm sure most will disagree, but I have a feeling that in 2-3-5 years, Sauer will be thought of as the better, more valuable, more versatile player (as long as he stays relatively healthy), in large part because he already is.
It's all about development. He's not better today but I agree he could be in a year or two. And he's well thought of today. I just think you are selling Girardi pretty short.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:27 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
It's all about development. He's not better today but I agree he could be in a year or two. And he's well thought of today. I just think you are selling Girardi pretty short.
Meh, I think Girardi is easily the most overrated player on the team today. Although Brian Boyle is certainly a new contender for that crown.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
i dont see much if any offensive ability by sauer....i think girardi is fairly decent offensively for a guy who is usually a rock in his own end. id say girardi is a superb all around defenseman (At least this year) and sauer has the ability to be one of the better shut down defenseman in the league.

i think the rangers should start pairing up sauer and staal together for shutting down the better lines. but thats just me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Meh, I think Girardi is easily the most overrated player on the team today. Although Brian Boyle is certainly a new contender for that crown.
Have you watched the rangers this year. Girardi has been awesome. A lot of the Boyle stuff is a joke too. But as a 3rd/4th liner he has been one of the best in the league. That's the truth, no one is saying hes a stud on a 1st or 2nd line, but hes been great this year doing his job.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, id say right now Boyle might be the best 4th line center in the league. and a damn, damn damn good 3rd line one (Jordan Staal is probably the best 3rd line center in the league imho).

Old
11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Have you watched the rangers this year. Girardi has been awesome. A lot of the Boyle stuff is a joke too. But as a 3rd/4th liner he has been one of the best in the league. That's the truth, no one is saying hes a stud on a 1st or 2nd line, but hes been great this year doing his job.
I'm not surprised the Boyle is god joke seems to have gone over his head...we're talking about the nice pictures and he's talking about the plant in the corner.

Girardi has surprised people with how good his play has been this year. How can you be surprised and overrating Girardi all at once? Answer: Sting.

I'd advise you to ignore him he's a terrible poster possibly the worst on the boards. I want to hesitate to say that Sauer is now part of the core but how could you not love predicting him as a future mainstay of this organization he's been fantastic. Even if he was a vet he's ben fantastic but he's a rookie

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 01:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I've watched every game. Girardi is a decent second-pairing defenseman that has made slight strides in his game this season. I already like the overall set of services that Sauer provides more, and I think he'll be the better player in the not-too-distant future, health concerns aside. But I've thought very highly of Sauer since he was drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I'm not surprised the Boyle is god joke seems to have gone over his head...we're talking about the nice pictures and he's talking about the plant in the corner.
I'm not surprised you still seem to put words in peoples mouths in lieu of actually debating with them when you see things differently.

Thanks for being in my head and knowing that I was talking about the Boyle is God joke that one-two posters have latched on to, NOT the 5-6 sincere conversations I heard at the last game I went to less than two weeks ago about how Boyle needs to be moved up to the first line, or the dozen or so similar remarks I heard at the Rockefeller Center public skate/Heritage jersey unveiling at the NHL store. But you're right, it was the elaborate HFBoards joke that went over my head. Again, you've hit the nail on the head. I truly admire your ability to analyze the situation.

Quote:
Girardi has surprised people with how good his play has been this year. How can you be surprised and overrating Girardi all at once? Answer: Sting.
I don't remember making such a remark anywhere in this thread. Maybe a month ago, when he really was playing at a different level. Certainly not since then, when his play has returned to his normal performance.

But hey, keep attacking me personally instead of debating me, the way you generally tend to. I love hypocrites. They say more about themselves than anyone else ever could.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
What's overrated about Girardi's play? If anything, he's been underrated most of his career. Talking about an undrafted scrub who cracked a weak line-up, and eventually established himself as one of our most reliable dmen (under two different coaches).

Boyle's one of my dark-horses this year. I've been watching him since he was a King. Assuming he maintains his current level of play, I think he's worthy of being overrated. Nothing wrong with rooting for the big guy who can chip-in offensively. Boyle hasn't only scored, he's played a physical game and provided us some snarl.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What's overrated about Girardi's play? If anything, he's been underrated most of his career. Talking about an undrafted scrub who cracked a weak line-up, and eventually established himself as one of our most reliable dmen (under two different coaches).
I don't see it. For example, when Sam and Joe make a big deal about the Staal-Girardi repairing...I don't get it. I don't see that big a difference. He's not a bad player, I just don't get the fuss. He's a great find for an undrafted player, but I don't think he's the blueline savior some make him out to be.

Quote:
Boyle's one of my dark-horses this year. I've been watching him since he was a King. Assuming he maintains his current level of play, I think he's worthy of being overrated. Nothing wrong with rooting for the big guy who can chip-in offensively. Boyle hasn't only scored, he's played a physical game and provided us some snarl.
Same here. No problem with him. Love his enthusiasm and him chipping in goals is nice, but I just think some of the fans have gone a little nuts over him.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't see it. For example, when Sam and Joe make a big deal about the Staal-Girardi repairing...I don't get it. I don't see that big a difference. He's not a bad player, I just don't get the fuss. He's a great find for an undrafted player, but I don't think he's the blueline savior some make him out to be.

Same here. No problem with him. Love his enthusiasm and him chipping in goals is nice, but I just think some of the fans have gone a little nuts over him.
top 10 in assists by a defenseman, top 15 in points by defenseman, top 17 in +/-, top 14 in hits, top defenseman in the NHL (by far) in blocked shots, top 26 in takeaways, top 16 in TOI/G...

in basically every metric you want to come up with, he's top 30 in the NHL, top 15 on most. Meaning hes playing like a #1 defenseman, and in most cases, like a borderline all star caliber defenseman

Old
11-28-2010, 04:50 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Yes on Girardi, no on Boyle. I still want to see Boyle on Gabby's line.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Girardi's the defensive-dman we've needed for quite some time. Someone you know is going to provide a certain amount of effort on a nightly basis. A consistent, blue-collar guy that's coachable, and buys into a team-philosophy.

He has his limitations. But he's shown he can improve, even at the age of 26 with a number of years under his belt.

He has still yet to miss an NHL game to injury, and that's mind-boggling when you consider how physical he is, and how many shots he's blocked. He doesn't play a measly 14 minutes a night against 3rd liners either.

The only aspect of his game that I think people overrate, is his offense. People glance at his numbers and assume he can produce. Realistically, he could, but he doesn't do it with skill, technique, or finesse. He just smartly gets the puck on net from the point. Usually wristers that somehow find the back of the net while opposing goalies are batteling traffic in front of them.

I don't think he should be overrated, but I think he deserves his props.

As far as Boyle getting overrated, just take a look at that posters previous name. Some people live week-by-week.

Old
11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

It's the feel good story of the year. Bad player turns it all around and becomes a good player-in his role, nobodys saying we should put him next to Gabby and our 1st line center issues are solved. he's also 6'7'' and realizing it, which is always good. Every fan base has the 3rd-4th liner fan favorite. Hell, we have Minnesota's on our roster right now.

I DO think he should be put infront of the goalie on the PP though, still.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's the feel good story of the year. Bad player turns it all around and becomes a good player-in his role, nobodys saying we should put him next to Gabby and our 1st line center issues are solved. he's also 6'7'' and realizing it, which is always good. Every fan base has the 3rd-4th liner fan favorite. Hell, we have Minnesota's on our roster right now.

I DO think he should be put infront of the goalie on the PP though, still.
He'll be useless in front of the net until this team has someone on the point who can and will shoot the puck.

Old
12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Played almost 9 minutes in tonight's first period. Seven after that. Makes no sense.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Another solid performance from him. Mentioned it in the GDT, but I have noticed his head-man passes and composure in his own zone, specifically behind his net more. Beautiful thing that he currently has a roster spot because he earned it. Sanguinetti got sent away when he was surpassed by Del Zotto and now Gilroy is up in the press box because Sauer has outplayed him. Was frustrated with some of the scratches he got early in the year but...Trust in Tortorella?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Another solid performance from him. Mentioned it in the GDT, but I have noticed his head-man passes and composure in his own zone, specifically behind his net more. Beautiful thing that he currently has a roster spot because he earned it. Sanguinetti got sent away when he was surpassed by Del Zotto and now Gilroy is up in the press box because Sauer has outplayed him. Was frustrated with some of the scratches he got early in the year but...Trust in Tortorella?
He's shown he's intelligent when handling these kids so far. I personally can't find a single complaint about the way he's handling the youth and core guys. Even the occassional 4th line relegation can seem reasonable and works out a few times so far. He got a fire lit under Boyle's ass, had Dubs and Cally take on a greater scoring role, ARtie had a nice run tho I'm not understanding or liking his 4th line right now,

Altho u don't wanna kill Stepan or Artie with top line minutes so early in the season since they are so young...maybe he just cycled them and Artie's turn in the cycle is almost finished? Based on Step's play I wouldn't continue the cycle if that's really what it is. Step deserves the 1st line right now and the pack line should be back although Artie Fro and another one of our interchangeable 3rd and 4th liners would make a great 3rd to me.

Aaaaanyway looking forward to Sauer getting more time later in the year and I hope he only improves from here. He's been I think the biggest surprise of the season even over Boyle and the Pack.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

I think it's surprising to you and me. I remember that draft with everyone saying that Sauer had first round talent, but was horribly injury-plagued. In Hartford, it was much of the same. I don't watch an awful lot of Hartford games and rely on people's opinions here and elsewhere that I value. Those people raved about his play when healthy. I have been pleasantly surprised just how complete he has been. He has size, mobility, can join the rush and defends the goalie and crease. What more could you want? I am knocking on wood that he can enjoy pretty healthy, because to echo people like Jonathan on here, guy has #4 defenseman talent already.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Sauer has been great, which is particularily pleasing to me, considering I have been trying to convince people there was actually "room for him in the organization" for quite some time now.

Of course, he has been relatively limited in his exposure.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Sauer has been great, which is particularily pleasing to me, considering I have been trying to convince people there was actually "room for him in the organization" for quite some time now.

Of course, he has been relatively limited in his exposure.
For me I never had a problem with his skills. It was his durability. Physically, he was ready to play at age 20. He looked better than Staal the year he made the team IMO.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

back when Sauer and Staal were prospects, their potential were both equally high. Problem was Sauer was getting injured and then Staal had that monster playoff run that made his stock really soar. I think Sauer had a strong Memorial Cup run with the Tigers his last year but he was not the scoring machine Staal was but I am glad both finally made it.

I certainly hope McD, VTank, and McIlrath can follow suit.

Staal-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
McD-McIrath
VTank

I don't know if any team has ever had an entire home grown blue line but there is potential for this to happen! I'm not gonna hold my breath though. Sather's pursuit of Richards may make pursuing a UFA dman difficult and if management believes in our defensive prospects and their development, maybe they don't go after any big ticket blue liners.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:01 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
He's shown he's intelligent when handling these kids so far. I personally can't find a single complaint about the way he's handling the youth and core guys. Even the occassional 4th line relegation can seem reasonable and works out a few times so far. He got a fire lit under Boyle's ass, had Dubs and Cally take on a greater scoring role, ARtie had a nice run tho I'm not understanding or liking his 4th line right now,

Altho u don't wanna kill Stepan or Artie with top line minutes so early in the season since they are so young...maybe he just cycled them and Artie's turn in the cycle is almost finished? Based on Step's play I wouldn't continue the cycle if that's really what it is. Step deserves the 1st line right now and the pack line should be back although Artie Fro and another one of our interchangeable 3rd and 4th liners would make a great 3rd to me.

Aaaaanyway looking forward to Sauer getting more time later in the year and I hope he only improves from here. He's been I think the biggest surprise of the season even over Boyle and the Pack.
This is my theory as well. He has the younger guys cycling in and out of top minutes. It worked for the Roman Legion, it should work for us!

a 20yr old cant play 20min for 82 games, and 10 min a game for 82 games will stunt his growth. So you find a happy medium where he can get in some games where they can play a key role and learn from that experience, but give them down time so they don't burn out.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
This is my theory as well. He has the younger guys cycling in and out of top minutes. It worked for the Roman Legion, it should work for us!

a 20yr old cant play 20min for 82 games, and 10 min a game for 82 games will stunt his growth. So you find a happy medium where he can get in some games where they can play a key role and learn from that experience, but give them down time so they don't burn out.
Bingo. People were freaking out, but anyone who didn't have a tin foil hat on could see what Torts was doing.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Glad to see he's getting some love after being a "throw-in" at the trade deadline last year. He definitely has 2nd pairing upside, and has been playing excellent hockey so far this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:43 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I've watched every game. Girardi is a decent second-pairing defenseman that has made slight strides in his game this season. I already like the overall set of services that Sauer provides more, and I think he'll be the better player in the not-too-distant future, health concerns aside. But I've thought very highly of Sauer since he was drafted.

I'm not surprised you still seem to put words in peoples mouths in lieu of actually debating with them when you see things differently.

Thanks for being in my head and knowing that I was talking about the Boyle is God joke that one-two posters have latched on to, NOT the 5-6 sincere conversations I heard at the last game I went to less than two weeks ago about how Boyle needs to be moved up to the first line, or the dozen or so similar remarks I heard at the Rockefeller Center public skate/Heritage jersey unveiling at the NHL store. But you're right, it was the elaborate HFBoards joke that went over my head. Again, you've hit the nail on the head. I truly admire your ability to analyze the situation.

Thnx for clarifying instead of using sarcasm like a good poster would do...nothing misleading about the way you responded here on the boards that would lead me to believe you were referencing an incident at a game right? You do a bad job posting and you make implications and references and you can expect people to be misled. it's up to you to clear up confusion you initiated with a calm and mature clarification something you very often fail to do.
I don't remember making such a remark anywhere in this thread. Maybe a month ago, when he really was playing at a different level. Certainly not since then, when his play has returned to his normal performance.

But hey, keep attacking me personally instead of debating me, the way you generally tend to. I love hypocrites. They say more about themselves than anyone else ever could.
I apologize I meant to say "I wouldn't be surprised IF the Boyle is god thing went over his head" besides that everything else I commented about you said and your denial makes you seem very foolish.
You said what you said and implied what you implied. Stand by your words like a man instead of playing "I never said this" games. Maybe it's something about the way you post then that consistently leads people to misread what your saying because everyone else here is saying you're underrating Girardi based on this year. If you think someone misinterpreted you than explain it to them. If your so gung ho about debating than this should come naturally to you but interestingly enough it never does... You have implied Girardi is overrated. Everyone else on the board seems to be of the opinion he's playing his butt off and is no longer overrated but may even be underrated and that he was not that good yet. Coming into this year many opinions I read was that he was solid but not spectular. "Not that good." "Solid but not spectacular". Was this assesment overrating him? And based on this year is that overrating him by saying he's solid? Shrug if you feel that way that's I guess your opinion but looking at it and at this thread you've got the whole board apparently saying you're wrong...might wanna just desperately cling to "difference of opinion" instead of admitting you're wrong and move on but to flaltly deny saying it? Wow

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 12-07-2010 at 12:52 PM.