HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordon Fired!!!!

Old
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Islander Prophet

vCash: 500
Probably a good decision by the Isles...but only time will tell..

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:06 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
This really pisses me off, WTF does Guerin care about what is going on here. I am guessing he knows though probably through his good friend Mr. Weight. Now Weight and Guerin are running the show here, Weight's comments on the Gordon firing weren't to complimentary of Gordon as he just said some guys were struggling with the system. Things are never good though when the players are running the show
The quote is from Versus last night. He and Jaffe were on to discuss the firing as part of a hockey wrap-up show they were doing. I don't believe they were on because of this, but I'm sure they both felt pretty good about being able to talk about the Islanders current woes. Jaffe was very up-front about this being anything but Gordon's fault and placed blame at Snow/Wang's feet for not spending in the off-season. Guerin took the position in the quote.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

No-one thinks it's possible that Gordon went to Snow and said "I've lost this team. I can no longer do anything with them. Understand this as me throwing in the towel"????

Or what about them having said all along, if there's ever anything as bad as a 10 game losing streak, then it'd be time to for Gordon to step down?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Stercrazy

It's just very frustrating. I didn't believe the good start would last but I didn't a 10 game winless streak was next. I don't know how I feel about firing Gordon. He might not have been the best coach going but his hands are kind of tied with the talent level on the ice. Personally I would have called some guys up first and sat some guys too. Then if nothing changed I would have considered firing Gordon. It just seems that everytime the bar is lowered for this franchise they just limbo under it again. Gordon was a panic move (now). It's hard to win games on system alone when the talent isn't there yet.

Last edited by Stercrazy: 11-17-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Darth Bangkok

When wanger put Snow in as GM, a bunch of us sent him a 'gift'

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I wonder what gift would be appropriate now? Besides a bag of steaming dog doodoo of course.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
No-one thinks it's possible that Gordon went to Snow and said "I've lost this team. I can no longer do anything with them. Understand this as me throwing in the towel"????

Or what about them having said all along, if there's ever anything as bad as a 10 game losing streak, then it'd be time to for Gordon to step down?
It's possible. It's certainly possible. We'll never know, though, because the Isles turned a blind eye to the one reporter reporting completely honestly on the team.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I found this to be a pretty classy statement from Gordon:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/11/16/r...r-opportunity/
>>>
"You still want to be involved, you want to be part of the team," said Gordon. "Of course, there's disappointment, but I'm not about to run and hide and sulk. If I can still help Garth and help the team, I want to. You have to remember, it was (owner) Charles Wang and Garth who gave me my first opportunity as an NHL head coach. I'm always going to be grateful to them for as long as I'm here, and I always will should I eventually land someplace else."
<<<

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Dan-o16

I'm going to wait to see what happens with the replacement. If, eventually, the job goes a no-experience nobody (in terms of coaching) like Doug Weight, then I'm done with the Islanders. Because I don't see how any reasonable organization could ever make that sort of decision. If, on the other hand, Snow surprises with some shrewdness that he's shown in the past, and makes a really solid hire, then I'll turn around.

Ever since I've been an Islander fan, I've known that the organization betrays its employees from the Pickett days on out. I grew up around people who worked in the organization, and with the kids of dynasty players. I've heard plenty of stuff around friends' dinner tables. Loyalty is certainly not part of the Islander creed. In the past the Islanders betrayed its employees with the arrogance of a team with a glorious history. Now they do it with the arrogance of utter fools. It's all just getting to be too much.

The Jaffe thing really bugged me. It was a classic Islanders move. But firing Gordon, a guy who was knowledgeable, passionate, and a teacher, bugs me even more. Who cares if there's short term pain? Who cares if the players thinks he's pushing them too hard? Why does the team have kowtow to non-contributing locker-room lawyers like Doug Weight or Bill Guerin?

There's just no reason to show the Islanders any loyalty.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
This really pisses me off, WTF does Guerin care about what is going on here. I am guessing he knows though probably through his good friend Mr. Weight. Now Weight and Guerin are running the show here, Weight's comments on the Gordon firing weren't to complimentary of Gordon as he just said some guys were struggling with the system. Things are never good though when the players are running the show
Well if you watch players have zero defense, pulled groins, skating non stop to no avail and losing games due to zero scoring and have lines with no chemistry and you're not a fan of the team, what should you say about the coach after loss #10?

The players aren't working hard enough?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
periferal

The *NEXT* coach...

What I want to know is...

When the Isles go on another 10 game losing streak sometime around the New Year, what move does Snow make then?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

When the Isles go on another 10 game losing streak sometime around the New Year, what move does Snow make then?
The Isles always poop the bed big-time in January.
I can't be the only one who has noticed this.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

your quite optimistic I see this streak going all the way up to the home and home with the rags.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
islanderfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I could be wrong but I think last season was the exception to this...we played our best hockey around then. I remember clobbering Detroit 6-0 in a string of great games.Totally irrelevant to this season though, as we will probably continue losing up through and past January.

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I remember it happening as far back as 1996-97.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
your quite optimistic I see this streak going all the way up to the home and home with the rags.

Well said. So I'll rephrase:

What happens when Capuano doesn't win his first 15 games. What moves does Wang make then?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Well said. So I'll rephrase:

What happens when Capuano doesn't win his first 15 games. What moves does Wang make then?
let me rephrase what you just said:

What happens when Capuano doesn't win 15 games?

Old
11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:

We pick first overall and throw ourselves a party and accept plaudits for assembling an impressive pool of prospects- all the while knowing full well that said prospects will never be adequately supported or developed and will eventually be thrown to the wolves. Future coaches will be "blamed" and fired. Once Snow has amassed enough scalps- he himself will be fired and replaced by another lackey.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
We pick first overall and throw ourselves a party and accept plaudits for assembling an impressive pool of prospects- all the while knowing full well that said prospects will never be adequately supported or developed and will eventually be thrown to the wolves. Future coaches will be "blamed" and fired. Once Snow has amassed enough scalps- he himself will be fired and replaced by another lackey.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
ahhhh the joys of being an Islander fan.

Old
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Someone quote me in August if this happens...
Next 20 games will be important..I expect a decent sized trade...if we struggle mightily in the next 2 months.

Once that's done...our team has a hot streak...(OMG Playoffs???)then crashes & burns in March

We pick #1-5th overall..then we hire someone who Wang/Snow likes as coach (Weight?)

Wang/Snow then blames the failed Lighthouse project for another crappy UFA period...we sign/pickup 2nd/3rd tier retreads..maybe another waiver pickup.

Expect this line from Snow sometime in July
"Since Streit & Okoposo are coming back totally healthy this season..its like getting 2 top free agents on this team"

Preseason starts......then we'll see.

Ill do lottery picks by special request

11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
Next 20 games will be important..I expect a decent sized trade...if we struggle mightily in the next 2 months.
I have a feeling that player or two will pull a Muller and not report.

Mr Wentworth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Brunomics

Quote:

Once that's done...our team has a hot streak...(OMG Playoffs???)then crashes & burns in March

We pick #1-5th overall..then we hire someone who Wang/Snow likes as coach (Weight?)

Wang/Snow then blames the failed Lighthouse project for another crappy UFA period...we sign/pickup 2nd/3rd tier retreads..maybe another waiver pickup.

"Since Streit & Okoposo are coming back totally healthy this season..its like getting 2 top free agents on this team"

The scary thing is I think your completely right about every aspect of the Isles season. I think everything will actually play out this way.

Old
11-17-2010, 04:46 PM
majormet

Quote:

That sounds 100% right, the Islander management makes one believe in clairvoyance.

Sounds like we acquire Brian Rolston, get as high as 10th in the conference and finish 13th.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote