HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ok Fellow Blue Bloods: Should Torts Bench Christensen? (Interview Video - Post #209)

View Poll Results: Should Torts Bench Christensen To Send A Strong Message?
Bench him 1 game 49 31.82%
Bench him 2-3 games 19 12.34%
Let it go unpunished. 86 55.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-15-2010, 10:25 AM
IAMREALITY

vCash: 500
Ok Fellow Blue Bloods: Should Torts Bench Christensen? (Interview Video - Post #209)

My vote is a hell friggin yeah. What EC said to not one but several sources is beyond unacceptable. I'd bench him 3 games if I were coach, but then I do tend to get a bit too emotionally invested in things sometimes.

So what sayeth you more rationally minded blue bloods? Let it go unpunished? Bench him? Bench him for multiple games?

On edit: his words: Blueshirts center Erik Christensen told Edmonton TV it looked as if Avery "sucker-punched" Smid. "It looked to me like he suckered him; I'm not going to deny it," Christensen then told The Post. "I mean, everyone could see.''

Last edited by IAMREALITY: 11-15-2010 at 10:46 AM.
IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

100% yes but just tonight. send a message

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Absolutely NO. After the first line clicks, and looks the way a first line is supposed to look. After Gabs has a hatty, 2 from EC, Fro has a breakout game, and EC pots 3 nice assists. Absolutely NO WAY. I understand where you are coming from, but it would be idiotic. He should not have said what he did, but you cant bench a guy after a game like that. For Gaboriks sake.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
No. I dont even think this would be an issue if it was said by Del Zotto, Avery or another fan favorite.

If he violated some official team policy of not being allowed to speak his mind, then yeah. 1 game.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
you cant bench a guy after a game like that. For Gaboriks sake.
Sure you can. And Gabby will be just fine, as will Fro.

Letting a member of the team get away with that without consequence would be idiotic in my opinion.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
No. I dont even think this would be an issue if it was said by Del Zotto, Avery or another fan favorite.

If he violated some official team policy of not being allowed to speak his mind, then yeah. 1 game.
And you read all of his comments?

If MDZ or Aves said it I'd be even more pissed. The fact that EC is already somewhat of a nobody to me makes it easier to handle. If a true Ranger said it? I'd be fuming twice as much.

And do you really believe your comment to be true? You think there's any Ranger that we would condone saying such comments publicly to not one, but multiple sources about a teammate?

Old
ecemleafs

should be dealt with internally. u dont always have to show the world how tough u are.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
PawelW007

No, I strongly disagree with his comments but its not worth messing up whatever we had going on yesterday. I think it should be handled internally, just a nice reminder for a youngish player " Hey, kid, inside the locker room, you can say that, when the mics in front of you don't"

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with feeling less than supportive of a teammate. Big problem discussing it outside of the room. It was a dumb thing to do. You would think that this guy, playing here with the privilege of playing with Gaborik, would be smarter than that. He should be a Black Ace tonight, for sure.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
NYRangers16

I vote no. EC didn't say anything all that bad, just I'd like to see him stick up for Avery. Avery's gonna be in hot water from this and needs the support of the team. But I don't think EC needs to be benched for it, just talked to.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

He just had a plus 5 night and hes hot, and you are benching him for what?

Telling the truth? Torts is all about honesty. Dont see any punishment coming.

What did he exactly say that was so out of line anyway? He said Edmonton was probably upset because Avery punched Smid when he wasnt looking. thats all i heard... was there more?

If it was only that who cares? The reporter asked why Edmonton was upset... he responded, doesnt mean he doesnt back his teammate.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TrollololBoyle

What did he say?

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

how do we know what was said in private after the game or today? for all we know christensen could have apologized to avery/the team and now everything is in the past. torts could have held a team meeting letting everyone know that kinda stuff aint acceptable. but, yes...ship him to hartford then suspend him in the AHL for 20 games.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Could someone post his comments? All of them?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
NYR425

Because Erik Christensen is a nobody, he has even less rights to say that. I would go a step further and release him. That way you open up ice time for Stepan at the same time. I take issue with him for what he said. His words can undo all the good that happened yesterday. The Rangers stuck together and watched each others backs. The comment was backstabbing. Release him today...

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
I vote no. EC didn't say anything all that bad, just I'd like to see him stick up for Avery. Avery's gonna be in hot water from this and needs the support of the team. But I don't think EC needs to be benched for it, just talked to.
His words made Avery look like a fool. His words bolstered the story that Aves intentionally suckered the guy and gave it credibility as if there was no doubt that's what occurred. He made Aves look like a fool. In reality, Smid was moronic for letting his guard down while still flapping his yet to be crushed jaw. Maybe EC should've commented on that.

Fact is EC threw Aves under the bus just for sake of attention. It was disgraceful.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
clmetsfan

Absolutely not. We have two legit scoring lines and people want to f--- with it right away? If there's an issue in the locker room due to Christensen's comments (and at this point any claim of one is pure speculation) let the captains sort it out. That's what they're there for.

His comments were not THAT inflammatory guys. I wish he didn't make them too, but get a little perspective here, for crying out loud.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
Because Erik Christensen is a nobody, he has even less rights to say that. I would go a step further and release him. That way you open up ice time for Stepan at the same time. I take issue with him for what he said. His words can undo all the good that happened yesterday. The Rangers stuck together and watched each others backs. The comment was backstabbing. Release him today...
i wish we released girardi when he tried to sabotage our season last year by not sticking up for gabby.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
I'm not going to vote yet because, I have heard every one comment on it every where, and yet no one has posted what he said.......

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
What did he say?

Blueshirts center Erik Christensen told Edmonton TV it looked as if Avery "sucker-punched" Smid. "It looked to me like he suckered him; I'm not going to deny it," Christensen then told The Post. "I mean, everyone could see.''

This, from a guy who was on the bench on the opposite side of the ice. *******.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
aftalactagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
He just had a plus 5 night and hes hot, and you are benching him for what?

Telling the truth? Torts is all about honesty. Dont see any punishment coming.

What did he exactly say that was so out of line anyway? He said Edmonton was probably upset because Avery punched Smid when he wasnt looking. thats all i heard... was there more?

If it was only that who cares? The reporter asked why Edmonton was upset... he responded, doesnt mean he doesnt back his teammate.
Exactly. Torts doesn't even bench players when they fail to stand up for each other on the ice. Why would he (if it is his choice) bench a player for being honest in the locker room?

I cherish these candid moments. Anything but, "duhhhh [insert automated approved cliche response here]" is gold to me.

edit: BTW, we will see him play tonight.

Last edited by aftalactagil: 11-15-2010 at 10:47 AM.
aftalactagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
IAMREALITY

weird double post

Old
11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Pizza

OK.

If that is what he said, he should sit.

Stupid...just stupid.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Absolutely not. We have two legit scoring lines and people want to f--- with it right away? If there's an issue in the locker room due to Christensen's comments (and at this point any claim of one is pure speculation) let the captains sort it out. That's what they're there for.

His comments were not THAT inflammatory guys. I wish he didn't make them too, but get a little perspective here, for crying out loud.
Do you really think Stepan couldn't stepantoo that spot for one night? C'mon now.

Old
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Seriously, it's been nearly 24 hours and no YT of this interview? ಠ_ಠ

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote