HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ok Fellow Blue Bloods: Should Torts Bench Christensen? (Interview Video - Post #209)

View Poll Results: Should Torts Bench Christensen To Send A Strong Message?
Bench him 1 game 49 31.82%
Bench him 2-3 games 19 12.34%
Let it go unpunished. 86 55.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
And actually it's hard to call it a sucker punch when the players dropped their gloves at the same time.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I think there will be more drama from benching EC than just ignoring his comments. I think one too many people here are making a big deal out of this.
This.

Stop playing into the hands of the rest of the haters. "Avery creates a problem in the locker room"

A) it wasn't a sucker punch

B) EC got suckered into answering a question he should have shut up about

C) We have a team and fans (for the most part) united against the rest of the league that hates us.

Let's kick some penguin ass and really get in their face...

eff all non-Ranger fans

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
After reading through this thread I'm beginning to agree that it's a let the players handle it situation. Either that or a hey Aves, catch EC in the hallway offguard and sucker punch the **** out of him situation lol.
EC certainly violated the "blue wall of silence" didnt he?

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ehhhhhhh

Two things shouldn't have happened.

1- Avery shouldn't have sucker punched the guy.

2- Christensen shouldn't have said Avery sucker punched the guy.

If one deserves a benching, so does the other.

They probably talked to eachother privately about it. Torts probably talked to both of them privately.

Move on.
I'm at work and can't stream video here or I would do it myself. But would you mind watching the video and pausing it at the exact moment Aves body begins to move forward in the sequence, so that we can see where Smid was looking? Pause before Aves lets his gloves fly off, right at the moment you see his body first making the move.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
metalan2

It's beyond me how you Ranger fans can be mad at EC. He literally did nothing wrong but tell the truth about that gutless puke. Even his own teammates can't defend him. There really was nothing else EC could say. He is right, everyone could see.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
I think there is a gross misrepresentation of this situation here. Did it for attention? Really? Give me a break. Honesty goes a long way, apparently not though when you're on a "team."

I can't believe how mad people are about this.
For me, personally, it wasn't all that fun yesterday to be asked by Oilers fans and Rangers/Avery haters, "How can you stand up for Avery when his own teammate won't stick up for him?" EC's comments only added fuel to the fire of an already controversial incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Is it any different than Torts calling out Gabby at the end of the year, after we lost to philly?

These are all big boys. Let them work it out.
Both of them should have kept their mouth shut, but other than that, I don't think the two incidents are all that similar. One involves a coach calling out his best player and linemates for underperforming in a must-win game. Another involves a player speaking unfavorably about a teammate when what he did was legal within the confines of the game. EC's comments gave off the impression that there was some dissension in the locker room; what Torts said did not.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
GrizMint

No way you suspend him. In no way will that bring the team closer together or send a message. Think about it, it will only make EC feel worse about himself and change no one elses opinion on the matter. No clue what they did enternally but for some reason I trust Torts and honestly I dont think Avery could careless about what EC had to say

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
mullichicken25

its beyond me how anyone who's rewatched the incident could call that a sucker punch

i thought it at first, and understand how players on the ice could have seen it that way, but when i watched the replay its clear as day that it wasn't a sucker punch

clearly the NHL agree's by the lack of suspension...and god knows they're not biased in favor of sean avery

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

If I'm Torts I'm benching him for a game or two and telling the media it's for taking matters that should be handled in the locker room to the media.

Because that's what should have happened.

For a team whose trying to sell the fans on the fact that they're identity is going to be how well they stick up for each other, well...

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
This.

Stop playing into the hands of the rest of the haters. "Avery creates a problem in the locker room"

A) it wasn't a sucker punch

B) EC got suckered into answering a question he should have shut up about

C) We have a team and fans (for the most part) united against the rest of the league that hates us.

Let's kick some penguin ass and really get in their face...

eff all non-Ranger fans
I'll give a "Hear Hear!" to that!

Old
11-15-2010, 12:47 PM
jniklast

The way it's been handles was exactly right in my opinion. Everybody should get a second chance, that's true for Girardi and also for Christensen. I hope they will both have learned from the mistakes they make and will do the right thing next time. Should Christensen talk too much again, then I'm okay with benching him for a game or two.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
It's beyond me how you Ranger fans can be mad at EC. He literally did nothing wrong but tell the truth about that gutless puke. Even his own teammates can't defend him. There really was nothing else EC could say. He is right, everyone could see.
Yes, I could see how something that warrants logical and deeper than simpleton thought processes is beyond you.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:50 PM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

For a team whose trying to sell the fans on the fact that they're identity is going to be how well they stick up for each other, well...
That's why this meant more to me than just the comments itself. It's nice to FINALLY see an identity building and his thoughtless and ignorant comments threatened to put cracks in the still wet and incomplete foundation. Just. Plain. Stupid.

Old
11-15-2010, 12:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

For the record, I don't think anyone is blameless here - it was a bit of a dick move by Avery, the leaguewide reaction is way overblown and EC should've been more circumspect in his comments.

Having said that, I find it very interesting that many of those who could care less whether Avery violated any kind of "code" with his actions are the same ones who are most up in arms at EC's violation of the "code" with his comments...

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 11-15-2010 at 01:15 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:51 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I am Erik Christensen's biggest critic, and would like nothing better than see this team rid of him, but benching the guy for this would just be wrong.

If everyone wants this kind of thing to stay in the locker room, than why would they want him publicly disciplined. Let Torts talk to him, or even Sather, so he knows to just keep his trap shut. Beyond that, what does benching him really do??? He is not part of the core, he will be gone first chance Sather gets to bring in a top center.

And just as a note to all the people calling it a sucker punch, in the 25 years i've been watching hockey I have seen plenty of well respected fighters drop their gloves and start punching quicker than the other guy.

If Smid was the tough guy he thinks he is, he would have been ready.
Don't ever skate over looking for trouble, than act surprised when you get it....

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

EC just made a team of enemies....

there should be an option on this poll for "put on waivers" or "trade immediately".

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If the same exact thing that Avery did to Smid actually happened to Avery, there would be an absolute riot by the Ranger fanbase. Theres hypocrisy abound in this thread, but thats just part of being a fan I guess. Personally, I like to look at it more objectively and what Avery did was pretty gutless.

Christensen, even though hes right, should have shut the hell up about it though.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

For those of you wanting to see the interview, it was on NHL on the Fly and it's on again at 2 on NHL Network. I'm not sure if there was a separate interview, but in this one he kinda said it was a cheap play while kind of shaking his head and said the league will review it. Definitely should not have said that but I didn't think it was as bad as people are making it seem.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The issue has been handled.

Quote:
“No comment,” Tortorella said.

“We’ve handled it internally, that’s the best way to put it,” Christensen said.
Quote:
My translation: Tortorella let Christensen know, in no uncertain terms, that it’s not appropriate to call out one’s teammate, regardless of the circumstances. And it’s not like Christensen and Sean Avery are running buddies within the Rangers’ room anyway.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ed_internally/

Christensen is a basket case. Larry Brooks wrote about his issues

Quote:
"My whole life I've heard about how much talent I have, and so I've always tried to live up to that, and if I can't, then I get frustrated," Christensen, who once had a 108-point season in the WHL, told The Post following Friday morning's optional skate in preparation for a match at the Garden against Carolina.

"I go into every game wanting to score five points and if things don't go my way, I get ticked off and almost start working against myself. I have such high expectations of myself, that I make the mistake of not staying positive.

"I put added pressure on myself and my play drops.
"
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...i2mIMOC57IzjHP

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
94now

If this was NOT a sucker punch, what is? The occurrences like that does happen, but that is the reason why hockey is perceived as an inferior sport. I can't believe the non-issue like resulted in 100+ posts.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBurd*

You don't bench the guy at this point. You crack him in the mouth. You explain to him about the concept of team unity since he doesn't understand that sort of thing (something that being on 6 pro teams in his short career hasn't taught him). And you hope the punk at the very least learns to keep his mouth shut in the future.

Obviously the waivers haven't shown him how close he is to not having an NHL career at all. Obviously the brain God gave him doesn't allow him to realize that he is the only borderline AHL level player in the league that has hit the jackpot situation that gets him centering a #1 line. I doubt a benching would help him or anybody else too much.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If the same exact thing that Avery did to Smid actually happened to Avery, there would be an absolute riot by the Ranger fanbase. Theres hypocrisy abound in this thread, but thats just part of being a fan I guess. Personally, I like to look at it more objectively and what Avery did was pretty gutless.

Christensen, even though hes right, should have shut the hell up about it though.
I love when people just generalize. I wouldn't have rioted whatsoever, and I'm sure most here wouldn't have. The problem here is that you think you're being objective by playing the 'calmer' side of the angle. But if you were truly objective, you'd pause the video at the very start of Avery's first forward move, prior to his dropping the gloves, and be able to have an open enough mind to see that there's no way in hell at that point in time Avery had insight into the fact smid was about to let his guard down. You have the desire to be objective. Ok, granted. Then please pause as advised and objectively tell me what you find.

Old
11-15-2010, 01:04 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

i actually disagree here

i have no problem calling out avery when he's a d-bag

and i initially thought this was pretty bad...watched the replay looking for confirmation that the play was as dirty as i thought, and changed my opinion when i saw how it acutally unfolded

i think the backlash is because it was sean avery, not because of the action itself... and if it was the other way around there wouldn't be much said about it

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:06 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
If this was NOT a sucker punch, what is?
sucker punch
n
1. a sudden surprise punch, esp from behind
2. a sudden unexpected defeat or setback

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anyone here ever thrown or been hit by a "sucker punch"?

smid wanted to fight, Avery punched him.

WTF? How is that a sucker punch?

nonsense about honor, that is crap. you want to fight? I will try to get the advantage.

We're talking like everything is cool, and I just suddenly punch you in the face? That's a sucker punch sucker.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote