HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shin Guard Sizing

Old
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
puck noob

vCash: 500
Shin Guard Sizing

I'm 5'9 and need to know if I should be wearing 14" or 15" shin guards. Apparently I am between sizes so I don't know which one to go with.

puck noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
beth

Ice warehouse has a good set of videos for figuring out how to size stuff:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/learning...ml?ccode=LC022

The best way, though, is to try them on with your skates on. Then you can see if the shin guards interfere with your skates or if they leave too big of a gap.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM
PDX Coyotes

For what it's worth, I am 5'-10" and my 14"ers are too big. Apparently your overall height matters less than your knee to ankle length...?

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Coyotes View Post
For what it's worth, I am 5'-10" and my 14"ers are too big. Apparently your overall height matters less than your knee to ankle length...?
Yep. I'm 5'5" and my shin guards are 14". I've got long legs I guess! The 13" size was waaaay too small. I think the brand/model has a lot to do with it, too. 5'5" is actually in the 14" range for my shin guards.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:00 AM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
Yep. I'm 5'5" and my shin guards are 14". I've got long legs I guess! The 13" size was waaaay too small. I think the brand/model has a lot to do with it, too. 5'5" is actually in the 14" range for my shin guards.
I'm assuming you're female, in which case your legs probably are longer than mine by nature.

and I'm okay with that.

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 10:06 AM
blueberrydanish

Im 5'11" and my 14" shins fit perfect, my ATK(Ankle to Knee) is also around 17-1/2" if that helps ya.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

Also remember that "tongues out" or "tongues in" will make a difference. A size at least, maybe two.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
shortcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Also remember that "tongues out" or "tongues in" will make a difference. A size at least, maybe two.
that's true. i have my tongues tucked under my shins, and i wear 14's i'm also 5'10" and i wear 13 gloves

what was the measurement for shins again? the length of your forearm?

edit: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/shinguarsizc.html

shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bring your skates and try them on.

For me, I always wore 14" because they felt "right" in the store.

But my latest shins, the Reebok 6k's, the 14" felt like they were too big. So I brought my skates to the store and the 13.5" (yes they have a half size) was too small, there was a gap.

When I looked closer, the 13.5" shell (plastic piece) was small, but the liner was too big, so it still didn't fit. The 13" liner fit properly, even if the shell was too small, so it would be the proper size if I wanted to wear with tongues out, although it was not very protective. The 14" was a bit small shell-wise and the liner was too big, so it kept sliding into the boot itself. And the 15" when worn over the tongues fit pretty well, with the shell lining up with the boot nicely.

But since I'd already purchased the 14", I found the liner could be adjusted up or down slightly, so I adjusted the liner down a bit and got the right coverage and had the shell itself up a bit higher, so it didn't interfere with the boot.

Bottom line, bring your skates to the store and try on everything in every size to see how they all fit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
puck noob

I ended up getting my shins custom fit and my exact size is 14 3/8 lol which would explain why the 15s were too big and the 14s were too small. I was wondering what the heck was going on

puck noob is offline   Reply With Quote