More Ice Time for Iggy?

Old
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Simply put, as with any sports team I'm on. If I play poorly, then I play less and I don't get special teams time. You play Iginla 16-18 minutes, and if he is hot, then you play him the extra mins. Why would you put a slumping player out on the ice so that he puts your team at risk? You don't sacrifice a "w" so that one player feels better, that player should be sacrificing himself so that the team gets the "w".

But when you practice, you have to practice even harder (in reference to using your legs more). Thats where you get your speed up, in training, not game situations because in game situations it is too crucial to do what you should've been doing in training.

I may not be a pro athlete but I play hockey 4 nights a week. Or is that still too coach potato for you?

On the thought of your "second wind" howabout you play well in your first "wind" then you get more ice time to play your "second wind" ?
Sorry, but I feel your thinking is short sighted. If you have a player like Iginla who is heads and shoulders above everyone else on the team in terms of talent and the team is struggling, it should be one of the top priorities of the coach to get that player going. Especially in the case of the Flames, if Iginla does not get going at a high level and soon, the season will most likely not have a favorable outcome. Bourque is not capable of carrying this team like Iginla has in the past, the Flames still need Iginla to be their best player to have sucess this season. And I do not think that cutting back Iginla's icetime is the way to break him out of his funk. I am not saying to favor him just because he is Jarome Iginla, but he is the best player on the team and should be playing the most minutes unless he is having a horrendus game and hurting the team defensivley. Confidence is Jarome's problem, and the only for him to get out of that is to play thru it.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Simply put, as with any sports team I'm on. If I play poorly, then I play less and I don't get special teams time. You play Iginla 16-18 minutes, and if he is hot, then you play him the extra mins. Why would you put a slumping player out on the ice so that he puts your team at risk? You don't sacrifice a "w" so that one player feels better, that player should be sacrificing himself so that the team gets the "w".

But when you practice, you have to practice even harder (in reference to using your legs more). Thats where you get your speed up, in training, not game situations because in game situations it is too crucial to do what you should've been doing in training.

I may not be a pro athlete but I play hockey 4 nights a week. Or is that still too coach potato for you?

On the thought of your "second wind" howabout you play well in your first "wind" then you get more ice time to play your "second wind" ?
Well I'm not a pro (paid) athlete either, but I know who was.... Don Cherry. Now Don Cherry was no where near the calibre of Jarome Iginla, but as a coach, Don Cherry got the most of his star players. If a coaching expert thinks this will help Iggy, I'd say there's some merit.

Besides, it's not about fresh legs or rewards. Punishing someone who's played the game for more than a decade isn't going to teach new aspects of the game or reinforce better behaviours over night, especially someone who has a career of demostraing the best possible behaviours. It's mental. It's about removing distractions and playing instinctions, and because the game has taken its toll already but the game isn't over, the rest is played with poise instead of exhersion. Star players have great instincts, and this is why it can help Iggy's game.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:16 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
Well I don't pretend to say I think the GMs or coaches should follow my lead and take my suggestions lol. This is just based off my own personal experiences and of course my opinion.

Like I said, it just seems counter intuitive to me.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
I have no doubt guys respect Brent as a hockey guy, but do you really think any of them enjoy playing for him? That's a problem, IMO.

Sure sounds like it's a problem.

Flames break for fun during turbulent times

Quote:
Breaking the tension, head coach Brent Sutter had the boys play a spirited round of three-on-three-shinny Tuesday to conclude a workmanlike practice at Westside Recreation Centre (the Flames were chased out of the Saddledome by Ozzy Osbourne.)

You should have seen the smiles. The hooting and hollering. The good-natured trash talk.
Quote:
Sutter allowed his players the chance to act like kids for a while and maybe even realize what motivate them to sign up for hockey in the first place.

"There was urgency in our practices over the last few days," Sutter said. "I thought at the end of it, we would just have a little bit of a reward here and play some three-on-three. Let the guys have some fun and enjoy it a little bit."

The coach chuckled.

"Not that the other part shouldn't be enjoyable," he said. "You know what? The game still needs to be fun . . .

"I know we've made mistakes that have cost us wins. I know we've had inconsistency. But through it all, as you work to correct all that, the game still needs to be fun. It still needs to be enjoyable. They still need to enjoy coming to the rink and have fun being here.

"That's our responsibility as coaches."

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Well I don't pretend to say I think the GMs or coaches should follow my lead and take my suggestions lol. This is just based off my own personal experiences and of course my opinion.

Like I said, it just seems counter intuitive to me.
Absolutely, and please, don't let my opinion bite off your head. And I'm sure Don Cherry bumps heads with some of the smartest people in hockey, so it's really all speculation. Although I disagree with you at this time, I completely understand your reasoning and logic, and honestly, I believe there is a fine line between a sunk cost and a slumping playing.

The very same principle of adding ice-time could be said about Jonathan Cheechoo, but I think most hockey analysts would agree that nothing can be done about Cheechoo's slump. Philosophically, I'd be hypocritical to give Iggy extra ice-time and not Cheechoo as well. So proof is in the pudding, and by all accounts, you might prove to have known it all along. If Iggy's slump continues for another 6 months, then all the extra ice-time in the world isn't going rejuvenate his game. So really the question is, at what point do you call it what it is? A sunk cost and time to move on, or in need of some confidence and ice-time?

I certainly don't pretend to know more either.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:56 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
As much as I'd hate to give a player more ice time when he's playing like crap, the Flames NEED Iggy to produce. Gotta inspire him in some way. Hell, inspire him to play ANY way you can.

All this crap about Bourque being the Flames best player is starting to make me sick. Don't get me wrong, I love Bourque, but he is not better than Iggy and he never will be.

Last edited by I Hate Chris Butler: 11-17-2010 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Did not proof read. D:
I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Sure sounds like it's a problem.

Flames break for fun during turbulent times
Exactly, not being frankenstein to your players in a losing stretch is key. Now lets hope the relaxation can come in form of putting some wins together.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Snazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazu View Post
Iginla usually start off October slowly and turns it on in November and usually hits his stride once December rolls around. Looks it up, it's pretty consistent in the last 5 or so years. Right now everyone is turning on him but I think it's just a matter of games and he's going to hit a hot streak and at the very least consistently score for the rest of the season, then all of a sudden everyone will say they love him again.
So does everyone love him again yet?

Snazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 04:08 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazu View Post
So does everyone love him again yet?
This is the best time to trade him if you think about it.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote