HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Tom Gilbert + for Commodore and MacKenzie

Old
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Every team needs a third (fourth) or fourth (fifth) best defenseman like Tyutin.
The problem is that on our team he's our second (third) best.

That's not Tyutin's fault, it's Howson's fault.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:04 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Speaking of Tytuin's Horrible Play:

Quote:
Today's practice was heavy on power-play work. Arniel is not happy with the lack of shooting and production from his point men and today he made some changes. Derick Brassard worked the right point on first unit. He's been used there occasionally in his three seasons with the club.

The first unit was: Jake Voracek, R.J. Umberger, Kyle Wilson with Brassard and Kris Russell. The second unit had another surprise -- Mike Commodore rotated in at the right point. Commodore, who's missed time with a sprained left thumb, hasn't played since the club returned from Sweden. The other two point men were Anton Stralman and Fedor Tyutin.

At times, the second unit had Tyutin and Commodore together up top. What does that tell you about the coaching staff's level of satisfaction with Stralman's recent play? Arniel wants his Swedish defenseman (no goals, 4 assists) shooting the puck not only on the power play, but at even strength. We will have more on this topic in Tuesday's Dispatch.
Stralman being kicked off the PP for favor of Commodore possibly (obviously Stralman is playing well)

Brass and Russel running the point on the first PP unit will = SH goal for the other team. Neither one of them can play a lick of defense or knock a guy like Anze Kopitar off the puck.

Obviously though, Tyutin sucks, but he is still playing on the PP.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
BluejacketNut

Im still wondering when this "offensive defensman" Kris Russell is going to show up. 1 point in 10 games

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I hate those lost 30+ point seasons from those invisible D-Men.

As the poster pointed out above, what your implying is not why Tyutin was moved. I will never understand the mass hate for this guy.
Hmmm. If you have 7 defensemen, and I have Tyutin ranked as the third worst, that makes him #5 - suitable for the third pairing. My issues with Tyutin are: turns over the puck at the worst possible time at the worst possible places, outlet passes not as clean as they need to be, not contributing offensively as he had previously.

Lastly, if the NYR got rid in a offensive defenseman (Tyutin) because they brought in a new offensive defenseman, they either thought: 1. they had too many offensive defensemen (really?!?) or 2.) Tyutin wasn't good enough in that role, so they had to try (but failed) to make an upgrade; 3.) they're smarter than they really are; 4.) all of the above.

Last edited by leesmith: 11-16-2010 at 12:00 PM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Im still wondering when this "offensive defensman" Kris Russell is going to show up. 1 point in 10 games
He's just one of many who have gotten off to a slow offensive start. I suppose it's a good sign that the team has won nine of fifteen without much scoring. On the other hand, if the goals don't start coming from more guys and with much greater frequency, the wins won't be coming for much longer, either!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:57 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I guess you didn't hint my sarcasm. It was very sarcastic, based off all the hate the CBJ Fans have shown to Nik Fil-A, and Nik Z. I picked the common denominator and went with it.
I think you'll find little to no hate for Nikki and Nikki. Being critical doesn't imply hate and most people have been supportive of Filatov and some are just starting to get a little impatient. But with his last couple of games, that's probably subsided.

I see nothing that resembles Russian hate, sarcasm or no.

Now the Tyutin stuff is just weird. I know why TW hates him, but some of the rest of the people around here I'm just not sure about.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Every team needs a third (fourth) or fourth (fifth) best defenseman like Tyutin.

I agree with that. (and Tyutin as a 5th)

Old
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Hmmm. If you have 7 defensemen, and I have Tyutin ranked as the third worst, that makes him #5 - suitable for the third pairing. My issues with Tyutin are: turns over the puck at the worst possible time at the worst possible places, outlet passes not as clean as they need to be, not contributing offensively as he had previously.

Lastly, if the NYR got rid in a offensive defenseman (Tyutin) because they brought in a new offensive defenseman, they either thought: 1. they had too many offensive defensemen (really?!?) or 2.) Tyutin wasn't good enough in that role, so they had to try (but failed) to make an upgrade; 3.) they're just idiots; 4.) all of the above.
Lee. You normally make sense. But trying to make sense out of anything the NYR does? Come on man, they just make a bunch of random moves that don't equate to anything other then too much money spent. They moved him because they got Redden and wanted to shift Tyutin's money over to a forward. They were spending 85 gazzilion on overpriced centers and had like no forwards worth a crap.

I appreciate you have him at #5. But that's a poor rating IHMO. Very, very poor. And I don't agree with this whole turnover thing, I still don't see it nearly as bad as what you guys make it out to be around here.

Old
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

blahblah, so we disagree. I'm cool with that. Here's how I rank the defensemen. I'd be shocked in everyone agreed.

WHEN WE NEED TO KEEP THEM FROM SCORING:
Hedja
Methot
Klesla
Tyutin
Commodore
Russell
Stralman

WHEN WE NEED TO SCORE:
Russell (numbers don't support this so far this year, but they will)
Hejda
Methot
Klesla
Tyutin
Stralman (only because he won't shoot the damn puck!)
Commodore

Last edited by leesmith: 11-16-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Ive been wondering this for 3 years. Im sure the Kris Russell fan club will have 100 reasons why he has only 1 point while getting leading pp time and noone are Kris Russell's fault though. Probobly somethign like he is too fast right now to score points, or has too much skill right now to score points.

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Shelley#45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

Seems like alot of the same things were said about Methot last year. Wait just a tick, who was Methots partner for most of the time last year ... and who is Tyutins partner for most of the time this year ... i think i may be on to something

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Lee. You normally make sense. But trying to make sense out of anything the NYR does? Come on man, they just make a bunch of random moves that don't equate to anything other then too much money spent. They moved him because they got Redden and wanted to shift Tyutin's money over to a forward. They were spending 85 gazzilion on overpriced centers and had like no forwards worth a crap.
That's a hillarious analogy of the New York Rangers. Hillarious because it's spot on - I've just never seen it put out like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley#45 View Post
Ive been wondering this for 3 years. Im sure the Kris Russell fan club will have 100 reasons why he has only 1 point while getting leading pp time and noone are Kris Russell's fault though. Probobly somethign like he is too fast right now to score points, or has too much skill right now to score points.
There's no saying why Russell isn't scoring points, all we can do is hope they come along. I think Russell will be at his best when he's paired with a reliable (most preferably top-pairing) defensive defenseman, that can open him up to do what he does best. Unfortunately, we just don't have that in Columbus right now (maybe Commodore, if he would get his ***** together). Changes are needed on the backend, just like the changes were needed up front. Put Brassard and Voracek with Nash and watch them fly - IMO this is what our defense needs, a major shakeup.

Whether or not that shakeup comes from a trade is debatable; but in my opinion I don't think we have the right parts at this time. I'd still be all for trading Stralman while his value as a potential PP quarterback is high. I'm afraid that if we wait too long and hold onto him while he's not performing, he's going to become another wasted asset.

On the topic at hand: bringing in Gilbert for Commodore certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd hate to see D-Mac goin the other way, simply because I've loved his efforts so far this season - but, if that's what it takes to bring in a young defenseman and get rid of Commie's hefty contract and lackadaisical play, I'm all for it. If Edmonton were to throw in another asset (say a third round pick), then I would think we were making out like bandits.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
That's a hillarious analogy of the New York Rangers. Hillarious because it's spot on - I've just never seen it put out like that
In hindsight, props to blahblah. Using Sather's past decisions was not a good choice for justifying my ranking of Tyutin because, well, Sather's an idiot.

Old
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
I think you'll find little to no hate for Nikki and Nikki. Being critical doesn't imply hate and most people have been supportive of Filatov and some are just starting to get a little impatient. But with his last couple of games, that's probably subsided.

I see nothing that resembles Russian hate, sarcasm or no.

Now the Tyutin stuff is just weird. I know why TW hates him, but some of the rest of the people around here I'm just not sure about.
I agree to an extent. We can go back to the Filatov Threads and the Z threads and see the same things being said "Lazy Russian" "Premadona Russian" "Doesn't want to be part of a team" etc....

I really think that there was some hate out there, maybe if it only was 1 or 2 people.

Old
11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
I think that is great. Soemething I actually think is very true. I am not quite sure where all the Russell supporters came from, considering the kid had 1 good year. It makes me so mad, everytime someone plays that damn video of him going end to end with the puck against St. Louis last year...He played horrible defence on that play, Garon made a HUGE save, then he was basically left alone to skate up the ice with a free shot on net.

He didn't pull the Zherdev toe drag, going end to end in less than 30 seconds out though...that was amazing, still to this day.

Quote:
Seems like alot of the same things were said about Methot last year. Wait just a tick, who was Methots partner for most of the time last year ... and who is Tyutins partner for most of the time this year ... i think i may be on to something
I almost believe that some. I have been wandering that. Russell like Stralman has 0 board strength. He can't win board battles, which puts the defensive partner he is paired with in a bad situation. You have to attempt to help him win board battles, which then puts any defender out of position. Not saying Russell is ALL the problems on the backend, but I would like to see him sit for a game or two and bring up Savard, and show him that other people will take his spot. I am sick of his uninspired defense, that is for sure.

Old
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I agree to an extent. We can go back to the Filatov Threads and the Z threads and see the same things being said "Lazy Russian" "Premadona Russian" "Doesn't want to be part of a team" etc....

I really think that there was some hate out there, maybe if it only was 1 or 2 people.
Dude, over 5% of the population still thinks we didn't land on the Moon. There's probably one or two people on this forum that hates Mother Teresa.

Piece of advance, ignore 75% of all lazy Russian comments. They'll go away the moment their favorite lazy Russian does something interesting.

Old
11-16-2010, 01:58 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Dude, over 5% of the population still thinks we didn't land on the Moon. There's probably one or two people on this forum that hates Mother Teresa.

Piece of advance, ignore 75% of all lazy Russian comments. They'll go away the moment their favorite lazy Russian does something interesting.
Very true.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
blahblah, so we disagree. I'm cool with that. Here's how I rank the defensemen. I'd be shocked in everyone agreed.

WHEN WE NEED TO KEEP THEM FROM SCORING:
Hedja
Methot
Klesla
Tyutin
Commodore
Russell
Stralman
Mmm.. Ok.. That's debatable, but I won't.

Quote:
WHEN WE NEED TO SCORE:
Russell (numbers don't support this so far this year, but they will)
Hejda
Methot
Klesla
Tyutin
Stralman (only because he won't shoot the damn puck!)
Commodore
Hejda? Seriously? I'd go over this secon list again man.

Old
11-16-2010, 02:10 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Mmm.. Ok.. That's debatable, but I won't.

Hejda? Seriously? I'd go over this secon list again man.
Hejda has been shooting the puck - and even scored once because of it. He's looked good moving the puck around in the offensive zone so far. Maybe you should look again!

Old
11-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

am i the only one that is tired of us (faux, virtually, etc) trading with the only team to finish worse than us in the conference??? how exactly is that gonna make us better???

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
wahsnairb

we never landed on the moon

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Hejda has been shooting the puck - and even scored once because of it. He's looked good moving the puck around in the offensive zone so far. Maybe you should look again!
Hejda will never be known for his offense and a good shot or two from the point isn't going to be enough to change years of history.

Old
11-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Renion

Quote:
You weren't paying attention last season if you have been "wondering this for 3 years." Just in case bias is clouding my memory of that season, here's some backup: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=761927 and http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=731939

He's not scoring this season: True. If I had to find an excuse, it would likely be because he started his season in and out of the lineup thanks to an injury. If he doesn't start chipping in at even strength within the next 10 games, I'll be more concerned. I'm not really looking for an excuse, though, as I think he's looked average compared to last season (in which I thought his game at even strength improved remarkably, but his PP game didn't improve much at all).

Leading PP time: False. He's behind Tyutin and Stralman. Aside from our playoffs season, Russell has always been the third or worse go-to defenseman on the PP. I'm glad Arniel is going to try him on the top PP unit now, but he's been paired with Brassard before, and I wasn't thrilled with it. I've said it many times, but I want to see Russell paired with a shooter. Unfortunately, the one shooter we have (Stralman) is struggling. No matter the reason, Russell hasn't produced good numbers on the PP yet in his NHL career, and I certainly want that to change--if it can.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:38 PM
BluejacketNut

TSN's comment for the Jackets power rankings

"Has anyone ever said that the Blue Jackets could use a power play quarterback on the point? Oh, they have? A million times? Just thought it was worth noting since they are again a league-worst 10.2% (6-for-59) with the man advantage. "

We need Russell to start producing (as well as Stralman), if he's not producing, i'd rather see Holden up here

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
TSN's comment for the Jackets power rankings

"Has anyone ever said that the Blue Jackets could use a power play quarterback on the point? Oh, they have? A million times? Just thought it was worth noting since they are again a league-worst 10.2% (6-for-59) with the man advantage. "

We need Russell to start producing (as well as Stralman), if he's not producing, i'd rather see Holden up here
Holden, Savard, Moore....

I'd rather see one of the later, but any would work.

I'm sold.