HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smid with Concussion, Peckham injured Wrist

Old
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
█▬█ █▬█ █▬█ █▬█ █▬█

vCash: 145
OMG holy **** our D is going to suck even more now

Last edited by NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: 11-15-2010 at 05:38 PM.
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Delta Cubes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
See, now that would be a sucker punch.

The opposite of when someone is facing you with their gloves off.
I don't think it was a sucker punch, it was still dirty nonetheless. Smid wanted a fight, Avery wouldn't give it to him until he started to skate away. Apparently, Avery also was saying how they'd fight next shift, etc. To use those tactics to get an upperhand in a fight is lame. I wish Smid just took the instigator and pummelled the **** out of Avery, he's probably wishing he did too.

What I find even more disgusting is the Rangers reaction to Smid's concussion.

"I guess he learned his lesson"

reply to someone that thought Smid was a bit of a cupcake: "More like a scrambled egg...."

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Gregor has stated that Oil will recall Jacques tomorrow. Hopefully this is not the only Baron on that flight.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Thanks to Avery we will have a future #1 overall pick in this years draft

ExOilerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Gregor has stated that Oil will recall Jacques tomorrow. Hopefully this is not the only Baron on that flight.
Can't see how that would be possible unless they want to make it THAT obvious that we're trying to finish last. Dressing only 5 defensemen with the state our defense is already in would be a public announcement of their intentions.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Someone driving his head into the ice is too far but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see someone "Evander Kane" him.

love that kid

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:44 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 266
Quote:

my guess is a d-man will sliding up behind him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:47 PM
kooch32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Petiot and one of Chorney/Motin/Plante are deserving based on their play in the AHL.

Petry isn't ready yet for the NHL. He isn't so great in the defensive zone in the AHL.

Petiot for sure would be a callup if I was in charge and the 2nd would be Chorney/Motin/Plante.
Petiot cant even crack the AHL line up right now, he must of lost his confidence...I would call up Plante or Belle..

kooch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
I don't think it was a sucker punch, it was still dirty nonetheless. Smid wanted a fight, Avery wouldn't give it to him until he started to skate away. Apparently, Avery also was saying how they'd fight next shift, etc. To use those tactics to get an upperhand in a fight is lame. I wish Smid just took the instigator and pummelled the **** out of Avery, he's probably wishing he did too.

reply to someone that thought Smid was a bit of a cupcake: "More like a scrambled egg...."
Problem is that when Smid attacks him Avery turtles and avoids taking any punches. Smid gets two and ten minimum. In turn he becomes the predator and looks like the undisciplined idiot in a lot of unbiased eyes.

I wouldn't be suprised if Avery goaded him into the fight and when Smid drops his gloves and goes after him Avery avoids the fight or just ties Smid up and the Rags teammates rush in to his rescue.

We have all seen Avery goad players into dropping their gloves and making them look foolish. When people suggest that Smid should have kept his guard up and forgot about the play taking place he is playing Avery's game. It was a sabotage. He was fulfilling his job out there instead of losing his focus to a coward. Sure, he payed the price for straying eye contact to focus on the actual play at hand. But the cheapshot was unprovoked and there is no reason Smid should be to blame here. At all.

These types of actions are unprofessional and bad for both the reputation and the game. If they think Wishniewski's suggestion was bad for the audience. What does this suggest or imply to it's viewers and there belief in the on ice conduct and etiquette. Chasing players and punching them with unprovoked malice are actions that should be condoned. That is the message this sends. Players should be more concerned about predators then the actual play at hand. This is a distraction to the players and a danger to their health. Purely shameful that their has been no discipline to follow.

Avery is re-offender. He is constantly taking liberties on other players. Not just Smid. He has the credibility of a convicted sexual predator testifying in a sexual assault case. The fact that he laughs at the situation shows his total disrespect for both the rules and its authorities. Including his on ice opponents. NHL needs to enforce a code of dignity here.

Peckham was on the ice for the next shift. It was a T.V. timeout. He didn't leave the bench to pursue Avery. He was already on the ice. If the NHL tried to discipline Peckham, it would be an appeal that would easily be overturned. It is in their better judgement that nothing is handed down to him. I think he probably injured his wrist further in the tussle he had with Boyle.

Last edited by Grod: 11-15-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
We just lost our 2 best defensemen, besides Whiteny. I would think 2 of Belle, Petiote, or Plante, depending on the extent of Peckhams and Smids injuries.
If Smid is considered our second best defense, it is irrelevant who is brought up - we are junk.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:15 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
Please don't give Avery any credit - we were well on the way to that pick prior to yesterday's game. Have you seen our defense? The first time Smid actually connects with a hit it's his face to a fist...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Cawz

Quote:
I don't think it was a sucker punch, it was still dirty nonetheless. Smid wanted a fight, Avery wouldn't give it to him until he started to skate away. Apparently, Avery also was saying how they'd fight next shift, etc. To use those tactics to get an upperhand in a fight is lame.
It was more cowardly than lame. He was basically getting challenged by someone bigger than him and did what he could do to win the fight. It seemed like someone getting bullied at school, so instead of figting and getting beat up, he suckered him and then ran behind the teacher. From Avery's point of view, it was either that or get his ass kicked in a fair fight.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
otto84

Smid can almost be considered lucky that he gets a break from this team.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:39 PM
otto84

Quote:
Why haven't we already called up another player? I thought we had an extra spot when we put JDD on waivers.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
Why haven't we already called up another player? I thought we had an extra spot when we put JDD on waivers.
Jacques. Conditioning stints use a roster spot to prevent people avoiding waivers to get guys playing time.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:54 PM
hungoverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Someone driving his head into the ice is too far but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to see someone "Evander Kane" him.

Thanks for that video. Had a bad day and that is always a treat to watch.
Now, when does Kane play against Mr. Burrows?

hungoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:54 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
that idea sends shivers down my spine--even when he was in his prime he was only good for 10-15 a night
Are you serious?

He hasn't even skimmed his potential. His prime is still ahead of him. We need to lock this guy up - and fast.

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Irony incorporated.

Call me crazy but standing up for our players in an attempt to limit how much we get targeted and injured has its obvious consequences.

Namely two players getting injured here.

Lets rewind this. Smid gets into it with Avery because he's concerned that Fraser might get hurt by a routine clean check along the boards the type of which Fraser would have experienced a 1000 times in his career.

Smid tries to fight Avery, gets KTFO, gets a concussion, Theo then defends Smid's honor by breaking a wrist punching anything in sight, Stortini trading knuckles and banged up and meanwhile Fraser is fine and always was.

Something wrong with this script.

I thought we had Souray partings...

Last edited by Replacement: 11-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Did the Ducks waive Sheldon Brookbank this year? I wonder if they would do it again, he's not the worst choice in a pinch.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:07 PM
mic

Smid isn't a big loss but Pecks is a good defender.

mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ToeDrag83
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags and Gilby View Post
I don't think Peckham and Smid would've been the difference between last place and not last place. Belle should get a shot.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Call me crazy but standing up for our players in an attempt to limit how much we get targeted and injured has its obvious consequences.

Namely two players getting injured here.

Lets rewind this. Smid gets into it with Avery because he's concerned that Fraser might get hurt by a routine clean check along the boards the type of which Fraser would have experienced a 1000 times in his career.

Smid tries to fight Avery, gets KTFO, gets a concussion, Theo defends Smid's honor by breaking a fist punching anything is sight, and meanwhile Fraser is fine and always was.

Something wrong with this script.

I thought we had Souray partings...
Reactions are always the consequence of one's own lack of actions. A precedent should have been set a lot sooner instead of Brule being the only one attempting to play physical out there.

Old
11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
This season keeps getting funnier and funnier.
Is this a bad attempt at sarcasm with this comment, or are you being serious? In what way is a player, let alone 2 of Edmonton's better team guys, getting concussed and injured in any way funny?

Wrong choice of words. I'd rather say it's already a flat out gongshow.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic View Post
Smid isn't a big loss but Pecks is a good defender.
If nothing else, he's been playing very well and providing an impressive physical element.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Cawz

Quote:

Thats not all the Ranger's fans reactions. Just the ******** ones.

There are also posts like this, about their player speaking out to the media against Avery, who many thought crossed the line.

"I find it very interesting that many of those who could care less whether Avery violated any kind of "code" with his actions are the same ones who are most up in arms at EC's violation of the "code" with his comments"

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote