HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smid with Concussion, Peckham injured Wrist

Old
11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Theo then defends Smid's honor by breaking a wrist punching anything in sight
Did he break his wrist?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
How can that not be at the fault of Avery? How can he not get suspended for this crap?

I guess it's time to call up Plane and Petry!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Did he break his wrist?
I hadn't heard that, I know he was a little nicked up before and I wonder if he just aggravated it more

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Is this a bad attempt at sarcasm with this comment, or are you being serious? In what way is a player, let alone 2 of Edmonton's better team guys, getting concussed and injured in any way funny?

Wrong choice of words. I'd rather say it's already a flat out gongshow.
I cannot speak for the Little Fury, but I am assuming the comment was more of a "Funny - La...La" than a "Funny - Ha...Ha"

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post
i'm hoping its just for this one practice, but they dressed mac as a defenseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provolone View Post
See, now that would be a sucker punch.

The opposite of when someone is facing you with their gloves off.
A sucker punch is when you punch someone when they aren't expecting it. That is exactly what avery did.

Smid was not facing avery. He was trying to get away from avery as he unexpectedly attacked him.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Oil Baron

Petiot should be our number one call up. IMO he is the third best defensive d-man we have in the organization right now

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Call me crazy but standing up for our players in an attempt to limit how much we get targeted and injured has its obvious consequences.

Namely two players getting injured here.

Lets rewind this. Smid gets into it with Avery because he's concerned that Fraser might get hurt by a routine clean check along the boards the type of which Fraser would have experienced a 1000 times in his career.

Smid tries to fight Avery, gets KTFO, gets a concussion, Theo then defends Smid's honor by breaking a wrist punching anything in sight, Stortini trading knuckles and banged up and meanwhile Fraser is fine and always was.

Something wrong with this script.

I thought we had Souray partings...
You got it wrong. Smid tried to fight Avery. Avery says no. Smid turns away, then Avery sucker punches him. Its more of 2 different incidents.

Its not about if Fraser was hurt or not, you don't let guys take liberties with your players. Sure it was a clean hit but it was a hard hit. It could have hurt fraser, I would hope someone would send a message that you can't do that against the Oilers.

How many times has their been big clean hits against the Oilers that have caused injuries in the last couple of years? Plenty. And their will be more if they don't send a message that they won't be tolerated.

Old
11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
You got it wrong. Smid tried to fight Avery. Avery says no. Smid turns away, then Avery sucker punches him. Its more of 2 different incidents.

Its not about if Fraser was hurt or not, you don't let guys take liberties with your players. Sure it was a clean hit but it was a hard hit. It could have hurt fraser, I would hope someone would send a message that you can't do that against the Oilers.

How many times has their been big clean hits against the Oilers that have caused injuries in the last couple of years? Plenty. And their will be more if they don't send a message that they won't be tolerated.
Trouble is I'm a logical person.

We just "sent a message" to the NY Rangers, who we play around once every year, that we don't like them a whole lot and especially Avery. "We're tough, look out, we have bandages, casts, and concussions to prove it."

Whats the point in that? This isn't a divisional rival we have on the repeat dance card.

Meanwhile the rest of the league is laughing at us and with guys like Burrows licking his chops full well knowing how easy it is to get the Oilers paying attention to him and completely off their game.

The Oilers accomplished diddly squat in NY "avenging" Avery who was likely whistling "Clarisse" in the dressing room as the Oilers fought it out. They paid for their reactive foolishness by injuring two players.

Seems counter productive.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Please be Petiot. I LOVED him in the pre-season

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:58 PM
nightfighter

Quote:

We just "sent a message" to the NY Rangers, who we play around once every year, that we don't like them a whole lot and especially Avery. "We're tough, look out, we have bandages, casts, and concussions to prove it."

Whats the point in that? This isn't a divisional rival we have on the repeat dance card.

Meanwhile the rest of the league is laughing at us and with guys like Burrows licking his chops full well knowing how easy it is to get the Oilers paying attention to him and completely off their game.

The Oilers accomplished diddly squat in NY "avenging" Avery who was likely whistling "Clarisse" in the dressing room as the Oilers fought it out. They paid for their reactive foolishness by injuring two players.

How many times has Hemsky been plastered by Regehr in the past and this board came alive with cries for an avenger? How many people bemoaned the lack of a linemate that had the spine to step in and challenge the other team before somebody got hurt? Now that Smid does exactly that, you say it was unnecessary? You have a point; it's only the rangers and they don't play them that often, but if you're going to send a message it has to be consistent across the board. Doesn't matter who you are playing.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
AHLBarons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch32 View Post
Petiot cant even crack the AHL line up right now, he must of lost his confidence...I would call up Plante or Belle..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post

Please be Petiot. I LOVED him in the pre-season
Petiot is out with a lower body injury. He was at practice today, but was just skating, not taking part in any drills.

Belle gets the call for sure. IMO, Plante gets the call as well if they call up two.

AHLBarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:

I'll let you have your self assessment that you're a logical person, I just think your depiction of the facts is wrong. Smid moved in offer a fight after the Fraser hit and then did not engage when Avery apparently refused. He only "fought" insofar as he had barely managed to get his gloves off by the time Avery connected. I think that's actually pretty reserved for Smid, who I generally like most because of how he's added an edge to his game over the last couple of years.

If we are going to be critical of Smid in this stituation, we should be celebrating Gilbert for how much of a [alternate word for "cat"] he is in goal mouth scrambles or other situations. Not gonna do that. I'll take Smid and Peckham any day of the week.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
GMofOilers

Why so much love for Petiot? Hasnt he been a healthy scratch on the AHL roster for a couple games? I think so if true than hes not been good enough to play in the AHL.

Edit: I see I have been corrected.

I would still take Belle in front of him.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
AHLBarons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Why so much love for Petiot? Hasnt he been a healthy scratch on the AHL roster for a couple games? I think so if true than hes not been good enough to play in the AHL.

Edit: I see I have been corrected.

I would still take Belle in front of him.
Had this been before he was injured, I would have put him second behind Belle to get called up

Old
11-15-2010, 09:07 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHLBarons View Post
Had this been before he was injured, I would have put him second behind Belle to get called up
What about Chorney? Hes got experience from last year and looks like a pretty solid season so far. On that note.....Chorney played better in the NHL last year than he did in the AHL.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

I wonder if you could pry Roman Polak out of STL for fairly cheap. He's got good size, he's young, and seems like he could work out with the current lack of depth.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:

If you were logical then you would know that logically most hockey players watch hockey highlights/games, or hear about it through the media, they see what happens when you take liberties with the Oilers. The game was in New York and some how our rivals, the Vancouver Canucks saw what happened.

Would you propose that they only stand up for each other and play tough when we play a divisional rival?

Old
11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
AHLBarons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
What about Chorney? Hes got experience from last year and looks like a pretty solid season so far. On that note.....Chorney played better in the NHL last year than he did in the AHL.
Chorney has just kind of blended in. Hasn't done anything to impress, but hasn't made many mistakes either. Same with Motin. Taylor's speed is his biggest issue. Hasn't played bad, but he's usually a step behind if they're caught on a rush.

Old
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Loweball

Why oh why do i torture myself coming here. Bad news every single day. It's depressing. I need a new hobby. The season isnt even 20 games old and it's over and about to get much much worse with out two best defencemen out.

Thats depressing enough to say. Our two best defenceman are Theo Peckham and Ladi Smid. wow. just wow.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If you were logical then you would know that logically most hockey players watch hockey highlights/games, or hear about it through the media, they see what happens when you take liberties with the Oilers. The game was in New York and some how our rivals, the Vancouver Canucks saw what happened.

Would you propose that they only stand up for each other and play tough when we play a divisional rival?
Would you propose that the Oilers actually looked tough in that display?

That the video hilites of Smid getting knocked out and Peckham injuring his wrist hitting something other than air makes us tough?

If you're not an Oiler fan watching this its one big joke as a I suspect it is for our opponents who can't wait to play us.

We didn't have one guy win one fight all night and this is "sending a message".

Doesn't the 8-2 scorecard already send a losing message?

Old
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I'll let you have your self assessment that you're a logical person, I just think your depiction of the facts is wrong. Smid moved in offer a fight after the Fraser hit and then did not engage when Avery apparently refused. He only "fought" insofar as he had barely managed to get his gloves off by the time Avery connected. I think that's actually pretty reserved for Smid, who I generally like most because of how he's added an edge to his game over the last couple of years.
??

Apparent facts?

People are assuming what they want the facts to be in this instance. making up for instance that they lip read professionally and know exactly what Avery was stating and that he said no, then yes, then maybe, and Smid was confused..

Anyway why was Smid in a fight to begin with? Why the need for the incident after a clean check by Avery that was no problem in the first place?

My version of tough not being getting your bell rung and knocked out by one punch you were square too and should be expecting. This being Avery after all.

Quote:
If we are going to be critical of Smid in this stituation, we should be celebrating Gilbert for how much of a [alternate word for "cat"] he is in goal mouth scrambles or other situations. Not gonna do that. I'll take Smid and Peckham any day of the week.
Smid accomplished nothing at all in that.

Old
11-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Would you propose that the Oilers actually looked tough in that display?

That the video hilites of Smid getting knocked out and Peckham injuring his wrist hitting something other than air makes us tough?

If you're not an Oiler fan watching this its one big joke as a I suspect it is for our opponents who can't wait to play us.

We didn't have one guy win one fight all night and this is "sending a message".

Doesn't the 8-2 scorecard already send a losing message?
Peckham already had a bad hand BEFORE the game and had it looked at during the game before the **** show, yet he was game. Was it because he wanted to pretend to be tough? No, he PROVED that he is tough and he PROVED that he is a guy that cares for the welfare of his teammates. If you fault him for what he did then quite frankly I don't know what exactly it is that you expect, and what it is that you'd call tough? Torres? Is he tough? Because he can hit once in awhile?

Peckham fought a much bigger man while already injured. He was getting involved because he thought that his teammate had been wronged, and that isn't commendable? You're right Peckham isn't tough, we need Torres' toughness, hit someone hard and then run away like a ***** when it's time to answer up for it, oh yeah that's right, you like Avery too, what a coincidence

11-15-2010, 10:16 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:

But the Canucks DID see what happened yesterday and therefore we heard the comments by Burrows. Are you believing that somebody watching this game actually thought the Oilers were showing toughness by what went on? Who is being illogical? Burrows called it as they all saw it - Smid brought a knife to a gun fight and Peckham lost his mind resulting in a broken wrist. There is nothing more that went on that would depict this debacle as "Oiler toughness". The only thing shown was that when push comes to shove, and "liberties are being taken", the Oilers haven't the slightest idea how to respond.

Here's a thought - why not shown some toughness prior to that point in the game. Perhaps Smid could have actually touched someone in the first two periods and that would have sent a message that we aren't a bunch of pansies. But no, he chooses to go after Avery on a clean hit, fails to understand the rules of engagement (that being: If you call out a guy to fight, you better hit him), and now two guys are out indefinitely.

Pretty illogical, don't ya think.

Our rivals are laughing after that...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Peckham already had a bad hand BEFORE the game and had it looked at during the game before the **** show, yet he was game. Was it because he wanted to pretend to be tough? No, he PROVED that he is tough and he PROVED that he is a guy that cares for the welfare of his teammates. If you fault him for what he did then quite frankly I don't know what exactly it is that you expect, and what it is that you'd call tough? Torres? Is he tough? Because he can hit once in awhile?

Peckham fought a much bigger man while already injured. He was getting involved because he thought that his teammate had been wronged, and that isn't commendable? You're right Peckham isn't tough, we need Torres' toughness, hit someone hard and then run away like a ***** when it's time to answer up for it, oh yeah that's right, you like Avery too, what a coincidence
Being tough is having as much as possible a lineup that can take care of its self and that does not go out of its way to expose itself to injury.
For instance with most of the Regehr nonsense being on Hemsky. If you play in a league that allows such nonsense you should play a bit proactively and expect what obviously occurs.
Either I'm not making my point clearly or people don't want to hear it but there was nothing wrong with the hit on Fraser.

Instead the Oilers now have this look of going out to be "tough" in response to any occurrence. Smid just the other game got "tough" with Abelkader (sp) because he kicked up some snow in Khabis direction. Abby went off the ice shaking his head at Smid for identifying that as something you need to go after.

The Oilers are starting to resemble a term I'll describe as "phony tough" and that viciously unravelled on the Canucks less than a decade ago and with Bertuzzigate the culminating factor in being tough and chasing after every shadow and "the world is out to get us".
In short that when a club gets this concerned about perceived slights wherever they occur they essentially become hilarious to the opposition who proceed to inflict more instigation because it works in spades.

In effect that we are the perfect bullied because of how we react.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-15-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old
11-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Loweball

Replacement. I despise your avatar. it makes me angry dude sorry. maybe that's the idea?

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote