HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wang needs to be "fired" and I have a suggestion for a new owner...

Old
11-15-2010, 03:55 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
Wang needs to be "fired" and I have a suggestion for a new owner...

This last and latest losing streak in conjunction with the firing of Gordon has finally done it...

I'm becoming apathetic to my beloved New York Islanders

For the longest time I have been a Wang apologist, but no longer. Fans will say that Wang "saved the Islanders in Long Island," but did he really? If you speak/listen to people in the know, the Isles aren't going anywhere because of their cable deal. Coming off the Spano fiasco, I would have taken my chances with the NHL running the team while they found a new owner/investors. I mean hell...Phoenix made the playoffs last year WITHOUT an owner.

Now if you're like I was, you'll blame the Lighthouse/arena situation for Wang not spending money and thus the team sucking. There no question Kate Murray is no saint and the arena is a significant anchor around this franchise's ankle. However what about the hockey moves Wang has made outside of the arena situation? Do you support, agree, or are proud of any of them?

Let's review just a few:

-Keeping Milbury around (this is truly the biggest red flag)
-Firing Neil Smith weeks after hiring him
-Yashin's 10 year deal
-DP's 15 year deal (and not learning from the Yashin deal)
-Looking into sumo wrestlers for goalies (no joke: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/new...rles-wang.html)
-Insistence on bringing back former players regardless of qualification only to fire/replace them later.
-Horrendous (if any) public relations with the fans
-Replacing Billy Jaffe with Butch Goring (not just an inept move, but embarrassing to the franchise)
-Ultimately...Non-stop losing and general embarrassment under his ownership

Now I didn't even include the hiring of a backup goalie to GM because I happen like Garth Snow, but he hasn't proven a thing in terms of win/losses. We just fired the very coach he hand-picked himself, so that too is a red-flag on him.

However all of this falls under Wang's umbrella. is anyone out there proud or supportive of Wang's resume as Islander owner? If he runs his hockey operations this horribly, could it be he approaches the Lighthouse project the same way? Could it be that Wang is actually HURTING the Islanders getting a new arena?

I believe he is. And because I don't believe you should complain without a better idea, I have what I believe is a much better owner for us suffering Islander fans. Not sure if he has any interest in owning the Islanders, but lord knows money isn't an issue for him. And I'll even make the gamble that we'll have more success under him right now.

My suggestion for new Islanders owner would be Mikhail Prokhorov, and regardless if you know him or not, you simply must watch this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ag=mncol;lst;3

How can we "fire" Wang and "hire" Prokhorov? Is anyone here savvy enough to start a website to promote this? I'll do anything I can to support it.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Brunomics

We can only wish he would buy the Isles.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
OlTimeHockey

The Isles have a new arena if Wang accepts the offer. Wang has a new arena if he negotiates something smaller. Wang has a new arena if he wants....but the disease he has is he wants it his way or else.

Well, we have it his way on the ice. We have for some time. Good personnel fired, bad ones kept only because he wants it his way and his way only.

I'd welcome Prokhorov. I'd welcome Bruckheimer. I'd welcome Koeppelmann or Gutkowski or any local billionaire. Just get rid of this drek.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'd welcome Prokhorov. I'd welcome Bruckheimer. I'd welcome Koeppelmann or Gutkowski or any local billionaire. Just get rid of this drek.
I'd welcome Balsille at this point.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I'd welcome Balsille at this point.
That works for me, atleast we will have 4 years of not being a joke.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Otto91

Agree Wang needs to go! Any Owner thinking Rob Shremp is a 2nd line NHL center has rocks in his Melon.

This Team needs a bonafide #1 or #2 center......

anyone would be better then Wang

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

I'll settle for the league taking us over until then.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Sumo wrestlers for goalies?

Its hard to be optimistic about the future of the team with a bat **** crazy owner.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Sure didn't hurt Phoenix! The league still has stewardship of the Coyotes, right? Maybe when they finally get a buyer they can rescue the Isles? How far fetched is that scenario?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
We could actually add some payroll if the league took us over.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
majormet

Being a die hard Nets fan, I already have seen great changes with the Nets in just a handful of games. Mikhail would be a great owner, but not so sure he would see value in moving the team to Brooklyn, closer to the other 2 teams.

We are stuck with Wang, he is willing to keep the team here, but just has no clue on how to apply his business acumen to professional sports.

I am lifelong Long Islander and if I did an analysis on paper, I am sure I would move the team from a business perspective, unless I had some cash to burn for a few years to get the fan base back.

Most Isles fans from the 1970's and 1980's have either moved from the area, lost interest in pro sports or hockey, or got sick of the franchise, hard to bring back the old fans, you have to sell the new fans, which means selling hockey as a fan sport on Long Island again, much like they did in the mid 70's to us young folk back then.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
I'd be more than happy with anyone who has no hockey sense, but the common sense to know it.

Wang has one of those.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
The Isles have a new arena if Wang accepts the offer. Wang has a new arena if he negotiates something smaller. Wang has a new arena if he wants....but the disease he has is he wants it his way or else.

Well, we have it his way on the ice. We have for some time. Good personnel fired, bad ones kept only because he wants it his way and his way only.

as would I but as Ive said ad nauseum his ego is involved, he thinks its his divine mission to turn this franchise around whether or not he has the skills to do so

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:26 PM
pattyb91
Twitter: @pattyb94

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
It really is starting to be very hard being a fan of this team...we need to be loud wednesday in voicing our displeasure with this organization. Although I didn't totally disagree with the Gordon firing, I have some real worries on who the future head coach will be...if you read in IPB Capuano said Snow only discussed with him about taking over for the next game...i really really reallly hope I'm wrong but its starting to sound like the whole dougie weight thing might have some legs.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Isles Shawn

Any interest in setting up a picket?

Gauging interest to see who would be interested in picketing outside NVMC one day before a home game to show how displeased we are with the way Wang has been running our organization. Not looking to create problems or trouble. I understand it probably will not accomplish anything but I feel like we have to do something to help this team. Maybe if the crowd is large enough it will create some kind of media presence and someone may hear our cries.

Feedback?

edit: would of thought this would be better as it's own thread as this would of gained more attention, but I guess the mods know best and would rather merge it....

Last edited by Isles Shawn: 11-15-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Are you sick of Wang???????

Over at ************* we aretrying to come up with ideas. We need to come toegther to save this team. If you guys have any thoughts or want to save this team let's join forces.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Isles Shawn

Last edited by Isles Shawn: 11-15-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 07:46 PM
kbarbdamnit

Send a message via ICQ to kbarbdamnit Send a message via AIM to kbarbdamnit
This team is embarrassing enough on it's own. I don't think we need fans picketing outside adding to the embarrassment.

kbarbdamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

With respect to what to do...

I'm thinking I might print out all the comments from the main page and mail them to Snow five or six times in the hopes that he'll see that people from around the continent realize that Gordon really wasn't the problem.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=842034&page=1

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
CDirt

What happened today is nothing new. Many teams that go through a building phase go through it. The coach you hire to start it very rarely hangs around long enough to see the team through. This is the NHL and it is why it is so hard on coaches and players.

The demands are higher here. This is not the AHL. You can forgive a guy for having a thin roster for only so long but when it gets to the point where you are about to finish in the bottom five for the third straight season changes have to be made. This game, afterall, is about results.

Why is it that every time a decision is made with this team, major change occurs or a trade happens, it's always this rehash of the Milbury days? It's gotten absurd!!!!

The team made the right move for itself and yes, for Gordon as well. This team is at a point where he is over his head. This happens with new coaches. He may wind up somewhere else and have success. May be not. That's typical and kinda the trade off to hiring AHL guys. They learn in their time off what went wrong, how to change their approach to game and the players. They come back with another team, start fresh and have more success.

The team itself is in need of a more battle tested experienced NHL coach. A guy who knows his way out of tough situations.

Gordon right now is not that guy.

Wanna know what Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien, John Tororella, Pat Burns, Peter Laviolette, Joel Quenville etc have in common? THEY'VE ALL GOTTEN FIRED TOO!!!!

Some of em have even won a cup or two and a few coach of the year awards.

Why is Gordon so immune to it and what has he done that makes him the exception to the rule?

Last edited by CDirt: 11-16-2010 at 01:32 AM.
CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
What happened today is nothing new. Many teams that go through a building phase go through it. The coach you hire to start it very rarely hangs around long enough to see the team through. This is the NHL and it is why it is so hard on coaches and players.

The demands are higher here. This is not the NHL. You can forgive a guy for having a thin roster for only so long but when it gets to the point where you are about to finish in the bottom five for the third straight season changes have to be made. This game, afterall, is about results.

Why is it that every time a decision is made with this team, major change occurs or a trade happens, it's always this rehash of the Milbury days? It's gotten absurd!!!!

The team made the right move for itself and yes, for Gordon as well. This team is at a point where he is over his head. This happens with new coaches. He may wind up somewhere else and have success. May be not. That's typical and kinda the trade off to hiring AHL guys. They learn in their time off what went wrong, how to change their approach to game and the players. They come back with another team, start fresh and have more success.

The team itself is in need of a more battle tested experienced NHL coach. A guy who knows his way out of tough situations.

Gordon right now is not that guy.

Wanna know what Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien, John Tororella, Pat Burns, Peter Laviolette, Joel Quenville etc have in common? THEY'VE ALL GOTTEN FIRED TOO!!!!

Some of em have even won a cup or two and a few coach of the year awards.

Why is Gordon so immune to it and what has he done that makes him the exception to the rule?

This is a solid post.

Buck Showalter may be the best example in sports of the guy who was there at the start of the rebuild but got fired along way.

Yankees fire him, they win 4 world Series afterwards

Arizona fires him, they win a world series

Texas fires him, they go to the World Series.

It is very true that rebuilds usually start with coaches that are very much like the first and 2nd platoons in Normandy.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:55 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post
Over at ************* we aretrying to come up with ideas. We need to come toegther to save this team. If you guys have any thoughts or want to save this team let's join forces.
Wang is the Islanders. He owns the team-there's nothing any of us can do. And for the record, he's a major reason why they're still on Long Island right now.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 09:56 PM
periferal

A WEBSITE is the answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericknyc1980 View Post

I already made a suggestion:

A website.

I'm not kidding. Is www.firewang.com available? I'll work with anyone on design who knows html/flash and can make it.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Mavericknyc1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I already made a suggestion:

A website.

I'm not kidding. Is www.firewang.com available? I'll work with anyone on design who knows html/flash and can make it.
not a bar idea.

Mavericknyc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Darth Bangkok

page can't be found. Maybe its available?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote