HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Colin Cambell's objectivity under question

Old
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
kovazub94

vCash: 500
Nothing is going to happen to Colin. There are a lot of questionable decisions that have been made while he was a high ranking official in the NHL. I don't think anyone would risk a chance that Cambell (out of spite or payback) would disclose any controversial details of what actually happened.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
He's generally inconsistent, he favors star players
of course hes going to favor star players, they tend not to be vicious nor repeat offenders (en masse), and they are too important to the game to be sat out for huge stretches.

Quote:
his suspensions are too short in my opinion. Dangerous play tend to be punish less than embarrassing ones.
thats a personal opinion though, i personally think they tend to be fairly dead on. youre basically just referring to the avery incident here because i cant recall another embarassing one that was as harshly penalized as his. You have to keep in mind though that Avery is a repeat....a super repeat...a mega-gigantic-ultra-repeat offender...it was too much, but it was understandable too.

Quote:
, They created the diving list and no one has been put on it in like 4 years. Other than that he's done a pretty good job.
probably because the divers are all pretty well known by now how many young players can you think of that are divers? i cant really think of many if any.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Chazz

wonder how this will play out....something fishy here, lets wait to see all the facts as they unfold

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
The rumors circulating that I read back then was that Savard was not a favorite of Mark Messier, and that was his ticket out of town.
That's hysterical. Surprised no one has tried making that claim on here.

On serious note, Savard was a seen as a big pain in the rear in those days. Both in the OHL, AHL and even into his time in Atlanta when he seemed to mature. Always liked him though and thought the Rangers really had something in him and Dube.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
The rumors circulating that I read back then was that Savard was not a favorite of Mark Messier, and that was his ticket out of town.
Messier wasn't even in NY when Savard reached the NHL. When Savard was in the AHL, Messier had left for Vancouver. Savard's next year he made the Rangers in November. Any veterans complaining would have been TGO, Leetch and Richter.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
ecemleafs

messier wasnt even a ranger when we traded savard

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Edge

I may be wrong, but I think he was joking. Part of the "blame Mess for everything" mentality that existed for a while.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

There's more to the story. Tyler Dellow has moved over to this site while his own site is being brought back online: http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/

This raises the distinct possibility that Campbell intervened in favor of his son. I initially didn't think Campbell would face any serious heat but this second post makes the whole situation seem much worse.

It's pretty clear what's going on here. Of course, it will probably get swept under the rug just like the Auger fiasco. You know why? Because the MSM is the only entity that has the power to force accountability on issues like these and the MSM doesn't care about hockey.

Last edited by StaalWars: 11-16-2010 at 09:02 PM.
StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
You have to keep in mind though that Avery is a repeat....a super repeat...a mega-gigantic-ultra-repeat offender...it was too much, but it was understandable too.
He was never suspended before the comments with Dallas and therefor could not be viewed as a repeat offended when it came to the league suspending him.

He doesn't hit people from behind, he doesn't target people's heads, he doesn't bite people, he doesn't try and cut other people with his skates. All things that other players have done in the past few years and no one talks about them. The slash on Komisarik this year was probably the worst thing he's done on the ice,certainly as a Ranger.

The league and the media just do not like him.

Look on TSN, there's like 4 videos on players reactions about this. Where was all that coverage when Carcillo actually sucker punched someone?
Or when Crosby dropped his gloves and started sucker punching a Panther in the head right off the face off? Oh that's right he's a "great captain inspiring his team".

Joe Thornton was just suspended for the 4th time. 4 times for on ice infractions to Avery's 1 "talking" suspension. Based on that you could argue he's a dirtier player than Avery.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
trilobyte

Does the NHL even know what governance is? Do they have a Code of Ethics?

Daly's terse and cookie-cutter response was exactly, exactly, what I knew it would be. I laughed when I read it.
If only the NHL was the 'real world'...all their goose's would be cooked and there would be a purge. As it is in that corrupt little pigeon-coop, I think they have to die on the job to leave it.

Seriously, they are like dinosaurs of the corporate world, and we all know what happened to dinosaurs eventually.

It's just that eventually is taking so damned long.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:58 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Does the NHL even know what governance is? Do they have a Code of Ethics?

Daly's terse and cookie-cutter response was exactly, exactly, what I knew it would be. I laughed when I read it.
If only the NHL was the 'real world'...all their goose's would be cooked and there would be a purge. As it is in that corrupt little pigeon-coop, I think they have to die on the job to leave it.

Seriously, they are like dinosaurs of the corporate world, and we all know what happened to dinosaurs eventually.

It's just that eventually is taking so damned long.
I really believe the main reason is the complete lack of objective, critical reporting from the main stream media in regards to hockey.

If something like this was going on in the NBA, NFL or MLB it would be on a 24 hour loop on ESPN right now and have a full two page spread in every major daily newspaper in America. Since it's the NHL, no one cares.

Who holds the NHL accountable? The fans? Pfffttt... the NHL could beat its fans with a broomstick and we'd still come crawling back. It's already happened once. We love the sport too much to raise any meaningful outcry when ridiculous incidents like Auger-Burrows and this come to light.

Since there's no independent media outlets that give a damn about the NHL, we're left to feed off the henpecked NHL media that is too lazy, too unintelligent and too indebted to the old boys club to report on stuff like this.

NHL fans need bloggers like Tyler Dellow more than anyone cares to realize.

Old
11-16-2010, 10:14 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I really believe the main reason is the complete lack of objective, critical reporting from the main stream media in regards to hockey.

If something like this was going on in the NBA, NFL or MLB it would be on a 24 hour loop on ESPN right now and have a full two page spread in every major daily newspaper in America. Since it's the NHL, no one cares.

Who holds the NHL accountable? The fans? Pfffttt... the NHL could beat its fans with a broomstick and we'd still come crawling back. It's already happened once. We love the sport too much to raise any meaningful outcry when ridiculous incidents like Auger-Burrows and this come to light.

Since there's no independent media outlets that give a damn about the NHL, we're left to feed off the henpecked NHL media that is too lazy, too unintelligent and too indebted to the old boys club to report on stuff like this.

NHL fans need bloggers like Tyler Dellow more than anyone cares to realize.
You are exactly correct. Case in point, just look at the recent article by Eric Duhatscheck. He is a very knowledgeable guy hockey-wise, but he is a personal friend of Colon Campbell. That, in itself, is no crime. However, his recent column in the Globe and Mail was nothing but slanted in favour of Campbell.

Watch any episode of Hockey Night in Canada and hear Don MacLean talk about 'Colie'. Listen to Nick Kypreos on Sportsnet call him by the same nickname. It's totally twisted.
In these instances, they are not practicing journalism; they are standing up for a friend.

It is simply amazing that the NHL does not quite yet fathom that perception of impropriety, or bias, is a very serious matter. In a corporation that is properly administered, it is grounds for dismissal.

Edit: here is the link I refer to
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1800259/

Last edited by trilobyte: 11-16-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added link
trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
of course hes going to favor star players, they tend not to be vicious nor repeat offenders (en masse), and they are too important to the game to be sat out for huge stretches.

thats a personal opinion though, i personally think they tend to be fairly dead on. youre basically just referring to the avery incident here because i cant recall another embarassing one that was as harshly penalized as his. You have to keep in mind though that Avery is a repeat....a super repeat...a mega-gigantic-ultra-repeat offender...it was too much, but it was understandable too.

probably because the divers are all pretty well known by now how many young players can you think of that are divers? i cant really think of many if any.
My stance is that if you come down on a star player, that will catch everyone's attention a lot better than if you punish guys like Carcillo and Cooke. Ovechkin ran around like a nut for a while and actually hurt a few guys before he was suspended. Maybe if he gets some time off for kneeing Gonchar, Brian Campbell doesn't get hurt by OV. Maybe other guys see the star player getting sat down and they'll realize that they will get it too.

Avery is not a repeat offender. And for the record, I wasn't specifically refering to him. His thing yes, but Wisinewski and others as well. Wisinewski by the way a 4 time offender got just 2 games which happens to be the same as every hit to the head suspension this season. One of these is a standard for punishment, Campbell is saying that they are the same as far as damage to the league. I disagree.

And I'll use the same vein to show the inconsistencies. Carcillo made an obscene gesture, the throat slash, and that was merely a fine. Laraque called the NHL gay. No punishment.

Simon got, what 25 or 50 games for stomping on Rutuu's leg. Pronger got a few. Both had been suspended 8 or 9 times. You cannot justify that disparity.

The diving list wasn't just about embarrassing guys and publishing their names. It was an unbiased approach to discipline. You get caught twice you get suspended. Each subsequent offense and you get suspended more and more. You want to claim that Crosby stopped diving? Kovalchuk? Did anyone stop diving because a few guy got listed 5 years ago? No. It was ineffective in the erradication of diving because they stopped putting guys on it to protect the stars from being suspended. They stopped with the punishment so the offenses continue.

To me that is the crux of the debate. A sherrif is effective if he controls the crime rate. I can't say that Campbell solved any real issue in the league. Kneeing stopped because Marchment retired. Hits to the head continue. Boarding continues. Diving continues. Campbell is all bark and no bite. And yes, that is an opinion. Guys do not fear missing a paycheck or time.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
If he was still Captaining this team, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaborik wasn't a favorite of Messier. In many ways, Gabby reminds me of Gartner and I don't think the team should have traded him for "over the hill" Glenn Anderson. I'm sure Mess had something to do with that as well.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I remember Savard being very cocky..he dove a lot and he always had those damn gold chains around his neck during the games..never saw that before on a Hockey Player.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

the removal of colin cambell would be the only kind of justice Savard would get in that cooke incident.

-bruins fan

ps good luck tonight

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The fans' nickname for him as a Rangers coach was Colon Cancer. 'Nuff said.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 05:46 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

The Rangers better be nice to little Gregory tonight or else.......

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:01 PM
JerseyRangers

Those two MSG shills Sam and Joe going on about what a fair man Campbell is really was a stretch. He may be your friend but please have the guts to call it like it is. Some of his decisions have been questionable, the refs have been horrible and those e-mails should have never been written. Is he biased? Possibly, based on his own words (calling Savard a whiner) you'd have to think so. Lets face it that Cooke hit on Savard was suspension worthy. If you consider the fact he wasn't and the words that were used to describe Savard, I'd be pissed if I was a Bruin. Mother Teresa he ain't and for those two announcers to go on like they did about what a great guy Colie is was a joke!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Those two MSG shills Sam and Joe going on about what a fair man Campbell is really was a stretch. He may be your friend but please have the guts to call it like it is. Some of his decisions have been questionable, the refs have been horrible and those e-mails should have never been written. Is he biased? Possibly, based on his own words (calling Savard a whiner) you'd have to think so. Lets face it that Cooke hit on Savard was suspension worthy. If you consider the fact he wasn't and the words that were used to describe Savard, I'd be pissed if I was a Bruin. Mother Teresa he ain't and for those two announcers to go on like they did about what a great guy Colie is was a joke!
sam & joe's comentary pre game was rather apologetic and sounded scripted. almost like it was a generic "official statement" faxed by the league to all teams for their announcers or something along those lines.

kind of pathetic, and i like sam.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:33 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

The league doesn't even have to fax a statement. Sam and Joe know they are expected to close ranks.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
If he was still Captaining this team, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaborik wasn't a favorite of Messier. In many ways, Gabby reminds me of Gartner and I don't think the team should have traded him for "over the hill" Glenn Anderson. I'm sure Mess had something to do with that as well.
It was Mike Keenan who didn't want Gartner on the team--said he wasn't clutch in the playoffs.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 02:09 PM
bleedblue94

did anyone catch last night when joe asked out loud if campbell had any penalty minutes this year?

kind of found it funny with all the controversy

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote