Big minus to the PP unit that was on the ice at the end of the third. All five of them, the game doesn't end because you have a PP and the lead to play out the period. Staal just walked down the middle and nobody put a stick on him. Embarrassing effort and lack of concentration from all of them.
All in all I'm still not worried. The Penguins can dominate anyone. These problems will be fixed. The only weak link still is our goaltending. Fleury isn't going to make the big save for us ever again.
• Flower seemed solid most of the game again, so he's progressing from where he was but that's not good enough if we're going to string some 4 and 5 game winning streaks together, which we need to do to win this division / get some home ice.
• Geno - if the MSG guys were fawning over him, he must've played well.
• This team has no fire in their belly at all. Zilch. Championship teams knock the crap out of someone and score the extra goal there, they don't give one up. When championship teams go up 3 goals, they're not happy until they're up 5. This team plays more like a bunch of seals than sharks. Speedy, swirling around, blood in the water... and nothing. Dear Disco: get some mean, instill some fire in this team, or leave.
Too angry to be objective right now.
Overall it seemed a very good performance to me though, outplaying the Rangers right, left and center. Just not their goalie.... and then mental midgetry at the end.
I don't think anybody should overreact to this loss. A great game by the Pens. Bad decision by the coaching staff not to put the grinders out there to close out that game. We didnt need to score and we had the wrong personel out there.
A HUGE plus goes to Marc Staal, the best player by far tonight. He's so good. He'd be our No. 1 defenseman. Just saying.
Overall, the Pens played 'their game' tonight. But there's something missing with this team this year. They blow a ton of chances, they break down at the most inopportune time, there's no confidence in the starting goalie whatsoever, despite his recent strong play, and there are several dubious decisions made behind the bench.
Oh, and this is yet another game where Jordan Staal could have made a huge difference. The one area where I feel we miss him the most is when we have a lead to protect.
I am still baffled that Bylsma put Gogo in there at the end with less than two minutes to go, leading by a goal, and on the powerplay.... Letang is questionable too. And not someone like Martin at least... Did he think scoring another goal was really that necessary?
+ Fleury wasn't bad. Not many goaltenders are stopping the last 2 goals let in. Hell the first one he was completely screened.
+ Letang was all over the ice.
+ Marc Staal is a beast.
+ Neutralizing Gaborik.
+ Lundvquist was good as usual.
- For as hard as Dupuis worked tonight, there were many times where he stifled offense. Offense on the first line with the best player in the world, Sid looked frustrated at one point. I hope Shero can pull a rabbit out of his ass and just get us 1 competent winger who would be a offensive threat.
- Martin for just being ok, I expect more from him. He looks slow.
- Michalek slipping and causing that 2 on 1.
- It's time to dump Comrie. It was a good no-risk signing for 500k, but its not working out.
- The powerplay makes me physically ill. What can we say that hasn't been said already. It flat out sucks.