HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS love towards Picard?

Old
11-16-2010, 06:22 AM
PunkinDrublic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Going off the handle a bit arent we? Picard is much better than O'Byrne as a defenseman so we should be happy about that and losing Markov isnt that bad; after all how long has he played with the team and in how many games since 2008?

Picard wont replace anyone: he'll be a stable force in there and will give you an honest days work. We have PK Subban now and he's learning day by day and now Markov's absence will not be felt as much as before. So chill.
No he isn't and it's not even close ! Why the **** didn't Colorado just take this oh so great Picard when he was free like the wind ? Because he is just an average borderline AHL-NHL defenseman, that's why !!!!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
God forbid the french press for showing appreciation towards french players in the team.

****ing mute the game if it's so much a bother to you.
Way to put words in the mouth of the OP, just great !

The op just said he overreacted a bit, can you at least try not to spew hate and bring french language into the mix ??

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
No he isn't and it's not even close ! Why the **** didn't Colorado just take this oh so great Picard when he was free like the wind ? Because he is just an average borderline AHL-NHL defenseman, that's why !!!!
Well, O'Byrne will play there until all the injured D come back, after that, unless he impress, he might be the 7th D again... and here, Picard was better, and Colorado didn't grab him, cause you know, injuries AFTER the season began...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Cupmonger

I'm just as sad as anyone here to see Markov injured. But you can't always dwell on things. Try to look on the bright side. Its time for Picard to show his worth now more than ever. With Gill's and Hamrlik's contracts ending after this season.. After trading O'Byrne, who seems to be doing well in Colorado atm. If Picard can show his worth, he may crack into a pairing. There's no way he's replacing Markov. Fairly sure that RDS doesn't have anything against Markov either. While I do agree they focused on MAB more than what needed. MAB's presence did help some aspects of our game. Yes he was terrible defensively and not the brightest... But he has helped with point producton. Let's jsut try to see the bright side?

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Picard was a surprise for me, he was very solid and always made the simple play, I would give Markov minutes to Subban I think he can handle it, and maybe call up weber and play with 7 def and use him in the PP only

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:48 AM
neofury*

To be fair it isn't like they were happy Markov got injured or tried to say Picard was better. Also he's a francophone player, what they don't have a right to be happy a franco is getting a chance to play now?

I think you're taking it a bit too far. They have every right to look at it in a positive light, heck at least there is a positive light, we have enough depth to get through it and maybe remain a playoff team.

Also Picard didn't play badly when he was playing. He struggled for maybe a game or two and then he was very solid. I don't see the issue here. With MAB I kind of agree though he did have his benefits, but with Picard they have every right to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Wow OP has some serious french hate going on. Just as bad as RDS but in reverse. Not impressed...
For real, it's pretty sad and obvious too.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-16-2010 at 08:24 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I don't mind RDS pimping a francophone player. I have a problem when they diss unfairly a non-francophone.

I had zero expectations from Picard. I was pleasently surprise. It's not a language thing. He won a second chance by his play early in the season.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Pleky Roks

Well first of all...Picard has played very well in the 9 games he's played....so he's not as bad as you think he is and for once the media isn't bashing the Habs, they are actually showing a little love for a player and you go and throw a fit because of it instead of supporting the player like a good fan would.

Nothing Picard has done so far in a Habs uniform has warranted any negativity what so ever.

This is a similar situation to when we aquired Gorges from San Jose for Rivet. Gorges didn't get much playing time at first and people said he was awful and a terrible defencemen. Then Gorges started getting more icetime the next season and showed what he can actually do and now everybody loves him. I have a feeling that Picard is going to travel the same path....once he gets some serious icetime and is used in key situations, he'll show how good he really is and the fans will start to love him.....mark my words.

All I know is that I have full support for him....all the games I've seen him play this season, he hasn't made any glaring mistakes and he just kept things simple....which is all we need from him.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:06 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
We just ****ing lost Markov, our only superstar in the team, for another couple months.. And it's been 2 days, RDS are talking about how Picard is taking his chance.. Le malheur de Markov fait le bonheur de Picard... WHO THE **** CARES ABOUT PICARD FOR GOD SAKE!!

It's like if the miami heats lose Leron James and the next day they start talking about how happy is the backup player now that he can play.

Picard is an ahler, at best 6-7 defenseman, and RDS give this guy too much importance because he is a francophone player. Same thing with MAB last year, they gave that guy too much importance when he ****in sucks.

I can't stand RDS ANYMORE!! They are idiots, can't believe this.

/end rant

I needed to say it out loud. sorry.
And what about the mad love the Toronto medias have for Subban ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu2001 View Post
Picard was a surprise for me, he was very solid and always made the simple play, I would give Markov minutes to Subban I think he can handle it, and maybe call up weber and play with 7 def and use him in the PP only

No thanks!!!

IMO there is no reason for the Habs to ever dress 7 defencemen and use 1 of them as a forward on the 4th line unless its Dustin Byfuglien. We have too many good bottom 6 forwards to waste by sitting them in the press box while an AHL defencemen takes their icetime in a position he's not used to playing.

I have no trouble calling Weber up, but we should always only dress 6 defencemen in a game....always. If Picard struggles or is having trouble....trying Weber instead isn't a bad idea....but only as a defencemen.

Old
11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
True it's a positive spin, but the LeBron injury analogy is bang-on. Nobody in their right mind would be writing an article about how his backup suddenly has a big opportunity--it would be LeBron updates 24/7. It would make more sense if the article was written at least after we knew how long he would be out for. It's like your reading Markov's eulogy before he's even kicked the can, jesus...
This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

I think some of you misinterpreted what I wanted to say.. it's not about RDS loving Picard (thread title was incorrect lol) it's about how stupid RDS is.

Mods can now CLOSE my rant thread! I'm in a good mood now

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What a reactionary thread... I dislike the montreal sports media (as opposed to ''french media'') as much as anyone but this is just pure bashing. Whats wrong in this article?

MAB was not even the worst +/- player on the team and rarely played defense 5 on 5... He also had very little TOI most of the time.

He was the worst defensemen but you simplu can't blame the teams woes 5 on 5 on one person. He was the teams 6th or 7th defensemen and was on the ice like 10 to 20% of the time only.
Yeah and 50% of the time when a goal was scored against he was on the ice. Of those times nearly 90% of the time he was the direct cause. Being beaten clean, mishandling the puck etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Way to put words in the mouth of the OP, just great !

The op just said he overreacted a bit, can you at least try not to spew hate and bring french language into the mix ??
LOL no he didn't, he didn't put words in his mouth in the slightest. In the quote he doesn't even do it let alone anywhere in the thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I don't mind RDS pimping a francophone player. I have a problem when they diss unfairly a non-francophone.

I had zero expectations from Picard. I was pleasently surprise. It's not a language thing. He won a second chance by his play early in the season.
The correct answer to this thread.

Last edited by neofury*: 11-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
No thanks!!!

IMO there is no reason for the Habs to ever dress 7 defencemen and use 1 of them as a forward on the 4th line unless its Dustin Byfuglien. We have too many good bottom 6 forwards to waste by sitting them in the press box while an AHL defencemen takes their icetime in a position he's not used to playing.

I have no trouble calling Weber up, but we should always only dress 6 defencemen in a game....always. If Picard struggles or is having trouble....trying Weber instead isn't a bad idea....but only as a defencemen.
why always? I would waste any ''good'' bottom 3 forward if that could get the PP going, Weber is leading the AHL in goals by a def, but hes also -4, now I havent watched him play this season but it seems that hes strugling in his end, 7 def wouldnt be so bad, as long as Martin uses them in the right situation.

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:33 AM
BigFatPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
True it's a positive spin, but the LeBron injury analogy is bang-on. Nobody in their right mind would be writing an article about how his backup suddenly has a big opportunity--it would be LeBron updates 24/7. It would make more sense if the article was written at least after we knew how long he would be out for. It's like your reading Markov's eulogy before he's even kicked the can, jesus...

Then again, what kind of updates do you expect? Aren't you sick of speculation, false rumors and journalists crying out for attention by inventing dumb ****? Just let the news come out and report it, that's what should be expected.

And I disagree about the eulogy part too. If you've followed the coverage lately, I think that RDS is handling it pretty well (rare thing for RDS). They keep mentionning the gaping hole that Markov leaves in the D and it's not like they said "Picard gets his chance at last", "Martin has no choice but to dress Picard" or "Pop the champagne, one more franco, one less communist".

BigFatPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 08:47 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
And what about the mad love the Toronto medias have for Subban ?
Are you seriously trying to compare Subban and Picard? Subban clearly deserves a lot more media attention than Picard, he's the team most-heralded prospect in quite some time.

And for what it's worth, I watched Sportscentre last night, and they interviewed both Picard and Subban in their Habs piece.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

If only everyone would think like that.No easier to always bash RDS,wonder where would people watch Habs games if it wasn't for them.Would be funny if they dropped the broadcast of Habs games,how fast people would change their mind,anyways those little amount of complainers I doubt they care about them,they could watch TSN instead and hear about the Leafs problems

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:35 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

RDS is right in that case... Im sorry bro. We need to move on at some point, Markov will be back when he's ready. RDS has all the reasons in the world to like Picard.

1- He's been solid for the games he played this season
2- He was with Cammy the highest +/- when he stopped
3- Formed a great pairing with Subban. A few more games and I'm sure we could have seen a PP production with him.
4- He's a nice honest frenchi guy

We all love Markov but we got a game big game to play against Philly tonight and I can tell you I'm happy we got Picard to step in.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu2001 View Post
why always? I would waste any ''good'' bottom 3 forward if that could get the PP going, Weber is leading the AHL in goals by a def, but hes also -4, now I havent watched him play this season but it seems that hes strugling in his end, 7 def wouldnt be so bad, as long as Martin uses them in the right situation.

I'd rather have a team thats solid through all 4 lines and can score even strength goals on a regular basis than rely on the powerplay all the time!!!

Who do you take out of the lineup to put Weber on the 4th line?? Eller???

Darche is playing well and so are Halpern, Pouliot and Pyatt. Your only choices are Eller or Lapierre and everybody would freak out is Eller was benched and we need Lapierre's grit and speed in the lineup to pester the other team.

IMO...Weber only gets called up and used if Picard fails miserably....and I don't see that happening.

Old
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
neofury*

Pretty sure this season they're going to work on Weber's defensive game and he'll likely remain in the AHL most of the season. I could see him being dealt or even called up next year though.

Old
11-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Joe Cole

The truth is that every D gets bumped up a spot and he becomes #6 playing in the #4 spot.

RDS just glosses over that and goes for the easy layup.

Only simpletons use RDS as "the" source for info.

I hope Picard does well, because if he does well, the Habs do well. The team is my concern, I try to make the name on the back of the jersey less of a focus.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Max Levine

Quote:

It should be understandable RDS or any other media may complain more often about a non-french player: there's 18 of them on the team out of 22. Of the four french players, expectations are very low for two of them. Since Pouliot has been criticized quite a lot last season, are we to assume that being born in Ontario was a factor for the general discontent?

On the other hand, some RDS reporters/analysts have been complaining about the lack of Quebec representation on the team. They would be exposed by their own viewers (a french-based public) if they were to diss a french player every chance they got. Especially considering that some french players have mentioned how difficult it is to play in Montreal because of the media criticism.

I find it amusing that a few french analysts would rather have 15 french players on the team while some fans would rather have none. Language is too much of an issue in this city.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 12:29 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Are you seriously trying to compare Subban and Picard? Subban clearly deserves a lot more media attention than Picard, he's the team most-heralded prospect in quite some time.

And for what it's worth, I watched Sportscentre last night, and they interviewed both Picard and Subban in their Habs piece.
I am not comparing these two players' talent. They are on different planets, talent-wise.

But English-speaking medias (and especially Toronto,s one) are also BOOSTING and ADORING their local talent. Subban is born in the Toronto suburbs. And it is NORMAL that they praise him and talk about him.

95% of RDS audience is French-speaking and from Quebec. Normal to talk about the local born players.

Old
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
The truth is that every D gets bumped up a spot and he becomes #6 playing in the #4 spot.

RDS just glosses over that and goes for the easy layup.

Only simpletons use RDS as "the" source for info.

I hope Picard does well, because if he does well, the Habs do well. The team is my concern, I try to make the name on the back of the jersey less of a focus.
Thank you Joe Cole for explaining this in the way it is suppose to be, but what can you do when people are so easily brainwashed by the french media !

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 11-16-2010 at 01:08 PM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I've watched every shows on RDS, on CKAC and so forth since the injury and what's been surprising has been the absence of Picard in their discussions. They've talked about every possibilities to replace Markov(and various trades), never mentioning Picard once. So much so that I wondered why they do not think about Picard.

The OP is out of line here. The anti-franco paranoia is still in full force.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Thank you Joe Cole for explaining this in the way it is suppose to be, but what can you do when people are so easily brainwashed by the french media !
You are over estimating the power of the medias, especially RDS...

And you are under estimating the will of the fans to love or hate one of theirs.