HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal's Offensive Ability

Old
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Yeah, he won the OHL equivelent to the Norris (Max Kaminsky Trophy) and Conn Smythe (Max Kaminsky Trophy) that year.
i thought it was the wayne gretzky award or something.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Sorry, somehow I copied the same name twice.

The Kamensky is the Norris equivelent. The Wayne Gretzyky 99 Award is the Conn Smythe.

My CTRL-C fu must be weak today.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:33 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Yeah, he won the OHL equivelent to the Norris (Max Kaminsky Trophy) and Conn Smythe (Max Kaminsky Trophy) that year.
I think the equivalent (being the Conn Smythe) was called the "Wayne Gretzky Trophy" but who ever it's named after, this guy can play offense. I'm searching for a goal he scored a year or two ago against (and at) Toronto. It was an unbelievable mix of of finesse and power and as great as Leetch was, I don't even think he could have pulled it off. But (everyone remembers the goal at Fla.) I haven't seen a Rangers "D" man go end to end in a long time except for Staal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Gretzky_99_Award

My apologies, I didn't see the last two posts.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

yeah, forgot to edit the original post. All fixed now.

In any case, you can't watch Staal on a daily basis without realizing this kid keeps some serious skills in his back pocket and breaks them out when needed. Every once in a while he rushes into the offensive zone deking defenders left and right with ease, and you wonder what he'll look like if he ever puts it all together.

Right now, Marc is a top-tier defensive d-man. But he has all the tools to be a true #1 in this league.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:48 PM
McRanger

Staal does not have the same vision Del Zotto has when it comes to breaking into the offensive zone on the PP. Del Zotto for all his problems has top notch, and I mean absolutely elite, instincts in that department. Otherwise, aside from his occasional choppy handling of the pick, when it comes to reading the play, passing, shooting, etc. Staal can hang with most guys that play the point on the PP in this league.

If Staal were a righty he would probably already be a staple on the PP and would end up putting up more points. Instead we have Girardi and Rosie until someone better comes along.

McRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
this is one of those "he just scored a random goal and I'm pumped up so now all of a sudden he's an offensive threat" thread.
It (imo) seems random because although the skill level is apparent, his main priority is defense. It's got to be exhausting facing opposition's best player night after night. I think it could be possible that Staal is too fatigued (especially with the amount of penalties called on the Rangers) and cannot completely show what he's made of (offensively) on a consistent basis. So the goals come few and far between. But with Girardi seemingly playing a stronger game in his own zone year after year, and with the emergence of players like Sauer, Mcilrath, Valentenko, Pashnin, etc... . They (hopefully) will be able to take some of the defensive work load off of Staal, while it should allow him more time and freedom to get involved offensively.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Staal does not have the same vision Del Zotto has when it comes to breaking into the offensive zone on the PP. Del Zotto for all his problems has top notch, and I mean absolutely elite, instincts in that department. Otherwise, aside from his occasional choppy handling of the pick, when it comes to reading the play, passing, shooting, etc. Staal can hang with most guys that play the point on the PP in this league.

If Staal were a righty he would probably already be a staple on the PP and would end up putting up more points. Instead we have Girardi and Rosie until someone better comes along.
I don't think so, actually. Rosie and Girardi both have bigger shots than Staal. The best thing about Staal's shot is that he keeps it low and on-target.

Staal's got offensive ability, but it compromises the rest of his game when he tries to concentrate too much on it. As he gets more experience, I think it will come more and more naturally to him to pick and choose his moments. He'll put up very decent numbers for a guy who is, first and foremost, a defensive defenceman.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote