HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ISS Top 30 November (Risers & Fallers)

Old
11-17-2010, 04:29 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 210
If Landeskog was a centre, I'd be so much happier. I just have a feeling we're going to be picking between 4-6 this year, and he would be my number one...if he was a centre. His leadership skills are pretty crazy, and the publicity alone based solely around his accent, or lack of, would be pretty funny. Murphy is my pick though. I know a shut-down defensemen is what we need, but an offensively sound defensemen is what I want. You never know, with Plante and Peckham in our system, we could have our answer for those big/mean shut down defencemen we've been asking for all these years.

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan66 View Post
Id look to trade pick for #5 or #6 (and take Rask) and get a extra 2nd round pick

WE NEED CENTER, period.

Nothing else will do, we can build defence corp through later rounds
We need 1-2D, comma. We need a 1C, period. We need either. The best player available in the first round. Very simple prophecy.

You're looking to trade down for the fifth or sixth selection?

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
If Landeskog was a centre, I'd be so much happier. I just have a feeling we're going to be picking between 4-6 this year, and he would be my number one...if he was a centre. His leadership skills are pretty crazy, and the publicity alone based solely around his accent, or lack of, would be pretty funny. Murphy is my pick though. I know a shut-down defensemen is what we need, but an offensively sound defensemen is what I want. You never know, with Plante and Peckham in our system, we could have our answer for those big/mean shut down defencemen we've been asking for all these years.
I think an offense is harder to teach to defensively minded defence than defence is to offensively gifted d-men personally. Offensive intelligence and skill are transferable into the d-zone for an O-defenceman based on the premise of preventing their own tendencies offensively and what they would do to score. It's really second nature that sits in high IQ players. It's natural but improvement requires a willingness to do such instead of concealing their weakness' with their strength. Which a lot of d-men don't take the time to do.

I agree with what you said. Take the offensive d-man first. Larsson or Murphy over the center or the winger respectively.

This is now but things may change in the next few months as this integral year unfolds.

Last edited by Grod: 11-17-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old
11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I appreciate Hopkins skill and playing style. But I still think the Couturier's and Larsson's are harder to find. I'm suprised RNH didn't drop to third.
as am i ... i'm somewhat surprised he didn't drop farther actually... for a guy who is supposed to be the best pure offensive guy in the draft, his numbers have been very underwhelming in the WHL this year.... 5 goals in 22 games is pretty bad, puts him on pace for a roughly 15 goal season, yikes... not exactly top-3 talent he's displaying

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
as am i ... i'm somewhat surprised he didn't drop farther actually... for a guy who is supposed to be the best pure offensive guy in the draft, his numbers have been very underwhelming in the WHL this year.... 5 goals in 22 games is pretty bad, puts him on pace for a roughly 15 goal season, yikes... not exactly top-3 talent he's displaying
Ive heard his production has taken a hit, but also the scouts love how the guy plays, they are just raving about it

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Toydarian

Originally I thought this draft was shaping up to be similar to the 2009 Draft
Tavares - Couturier
Hedman - Larsson
RNH - Duchene

But I think it has the potential to be similar to the 2006 draft
Johnson - Larsson
Staal - Couturier
Toews - Landeskog
Backstrom - RNH

*note: not player expectation/potential, but in 2009 having a strong 1-2-3 vs in 2006 all top 4 players being relatively close and interchangeable.

Toydarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
rockinghockey

Couturier is the centreman that we should go after. He is a huge body and that is what this teams need. In 3 years he will develop to the no. 1 centreman that we need. If we can get a 2nd 1st round pick and get Musil we would be fixing two problems in one draft.

I also think that players like Penner and Cogs will be gone this year and hopefully getting us some young dmen prospects.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Yeah apparently he's been displaying more of a pass first distribution playing style lately. I think a lot of his projections right now are based on his flashes of raw skill. He has a lot of filling in, strength building, as well as an all around game to add to his repertoire.

Old
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Ive heard his production has taken a hit, but also the scouts love how the guy plays, they are just raving about it
well i haven't seen him play, so i can't comment on that personally... it would be interesting to hear what they like so much, because he's certainly not piling up the points by any means.... maybe he's getting a crap-load of chances every game and just isn't getting any puck-luck?

Old
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Yeah apparently he's been displaying more of a pass first distribution playing style lately. I think a lot of his projections right now are based on his flashes of raw skill. He has a lot of filling in, strength building, as well as an all around game to add to his repertoire.
this type of description screams "kyle turris" to me, and that's not a good thing

Old
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
this type of description screams "kyle turris" to me, and that's not a good thing
Exactly what I've been saying for the last month or so. I would almost bet CSS has him at one by the end of the year. They seem almost identical in playing style, size, position and skillset. He will require a fair bit of patience imo.

Old
11-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Originally I thought this draft was shaping up to be similar to the 2009 Draft
Tavares - Couturier
Hedman - Larsson
RNH - Duchene

But I think it has the potential to be similar to the 2006 draft
Johnson - Larsson
Staal - Couturier
Toews - Landeskog
Backstrom - RNH

*note: not player expectation/potential, but in 2009 having a strong 1-2-3 vs in 2006 all top 4 players being relatively close and interchangeable.
I can see the similarities .

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote