HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Souray be a possibility?

Old
11-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Schwang

vCash: 500
Could Souray be a possibility?

It looks like he's hurt though (4 games played with Hershey). If Markov's out long term, I'm not sure Picard is up to it, and I still don't believe Weber is NHL material.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:24 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I think management will need to evaluate what is needed first in terms of one type of blueliner will the Habs' need.

For me Souray is out for the a couple of reasons. The Habs' would be replacing an injury prone d-man with an injury prone d-man. I'd prefer a d-man with a more defensive upside who can log some quality minutes. And Souray's escapade with Edmonton goes against the "character" grain of this team.

So it's no IMO. Oh and his salary is problematic too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The Habs seem to be clearing cap space, but I doubt it's for Souray. BTW didn't he re-injure his hand ?

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

Regarding the cap space, he'd be coming on re-entry which is half the cost. Later on in the season, when he'd become affordable, I don't think Montreal would be able to snatch him before lower seed teams, even if they wanted him

J Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:03 AM
dcyhabs

Like Komisarek you don't want him out there without Markov.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwang View Post
It looks like he's hurt though (4 games played with Hershey). If Markov's out long term, I'm not sure Picard is up to it, and I still don't believe Weber is NHL material.
Don't want him back, plus I can't see Edmonton risking being on the hook for 2.7 mil this year and next by calling him up.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Aquanaute

Marc-André Bergeron more than Sourray for me...

Aquanaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

No.

We already have 6 guys on the roster without Markov (Picard). We can also call up a warm body from the farm. Weber, from all reports (I've only seen two games), has been playing terrific even if he's slowed down offensively. Carle, is a now a veteran of the AHL and had moderate success in his handful of NHL games. We also have Nash, who is surprising this year in Hamilton (and during pre-season, IMO) who is a pretty big body.

We can solve the defense problem from within. If we are looking at any trade options, it should be for a top-6 forward

If we decide to solve the problem from outside the organization, I'll take MAB over Souray in a heartbeat.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

We don't need anyone. Promote from within the organization for now. We were winning before Markov came back - we can win again now that he's gone again for awhile. Our PP is now getting going, but Markov is not the reason why that's the case.

Don't make dumb moves to bring pylons here, and that's all any short term fix would be by bringing in Souray, MAB - even Bieksa.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:27 AM
llamateizer

1- souray have still 1 more season in his contract
2- we must trade for him if we want him. (must he pass through waiver?)
3- i think MAB can be a better cheap option.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Schwang

okay

but, really, do you guys think we have anyone in the AHL capable of filling the role? Carle? Weber? Nash? Seriously? I don't know about Nash, but Carle and Weber will never become regulars in the NHL. If they haven't cracked our lineup yet, they never will. If they are so great, why'd we sign Picard? I like him, but he's not exactly Chara. If management felt the need to get him over promoting those other guys, what's that say about them? Carle will eventually be traded, Weber too or he'll go back to Europe. Mark my words.

Souray was just a suggestion. I'd rather promote from withing too, but our D corps is VERY thin now, despite what people think about Weber. If Markov is out 3 or more months, he needs to be replaced with an NHL calibur talent. Next season, we'll free up close to 8mill on D to sign a big name. Till then, we need to keep going strong.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:44 AM
InglewoodJack

All signs point to Weber. It's his time to shine.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:50 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
All signs point to Weber. It's his time to shine.
Why would you call up Webber to sit in the pressbox? He is better off playing 20 minutes in the AHL, then sitting in the pressbox.

We already have 6 healthy defensemen, call up someone, if another defenseman gets hurt.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Bullsmith

no. No. NO.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Why would you call up Webber to sit in the pressbox? He is better off playing 20 minutes in the AHL, then sitting in the pressbox.

We already have 6 healthy defensemen, call up someone, if another defenseman gets hurt.
If you call Webber, Picard gets to chill, not the other way around IMO... but I don't think that's how management sees it.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
CanadienErrant*

The Habs were 7-3-1 without Markov in their first 11 games. They can win without him even if it sucks big time to not have him in the line up.

Spacek and Hamrlik, are finally clicking and playing their best hockey this year.

Gill and Gorges can play together, no problem

Picard and Subban were playing really well together.

If Markov is gone for a lenghty period (more than 20 games), I guess Gauthier gonna shop around. Bergeron, like it or not, is a solution.

The PP is the key. In the last 3 games, they more than double their output.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Picard played well at the beginning of the year, put the pairings back like they were:

Hamr - Spacek
Picard - Subban
Gill - Gorges

If Picard begins to struggle call up Weber, if Markov is out for an extended period of time Gauthier will likely sign or trade for a veteran depth dman to sit in the press box.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:37 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanaute View Post
MAB signed for Battle of the Blades unfortunately and he also formed a musical group with Brisebois, Laflamme and Traverse called The Turnovers.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:44 AM
BLONG7

Somewhere, on a bus, Souray is wondering, what happened...he was offered a huge contract by the Habs, and took one a little bigger to go to the Oilers...wow, just wow...Hab fans are laughing, and the Oilers fans just hate the guy...oh well, he has lots of money, and great hair...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 11:51 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post

If you need someone to specifically replace Markov, Weber is your man. Hard shot, good offense, good D, everything. He's proven that he's on the rebound, and he wants his shot. Picard is good and everything, but are we seriously a contender with Alex friggen Picard as our offensive weapon? Ugh. Atleast Weber could surprise, but Webb's worst is still better then Picard's worst. I'd take the risk.

Hamr-Subban
Spacek-Weber
Gill Gorges

It ain't pretty, but I'll take him over Picard.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
If you need someone to specifically replace Markov, Weber is your man. Hard shot, good offense, good D, everything. He's proven that he's on the rebound, and he wants his shot. Picard is good and everything, but are we seriously a contender with Alex friggen Picard as our offensive weapon? Ugh. Atleast Weber could surprise, but Webb's worst is still better then Picard's worst. I'd take the risk.

Hamr-Subban
Spacek-Weber
Gill Gorges

It ain't pretty, but I'll take him over Picard.
Keep Hammer with Spacek. That duo is working for now. You don't want to see the Spacek of a few weeks ago. Gill & Gorges used to play together, so no problem there. Subban was paired with Picard and they also do well. Do not call up Weber unless another defenseman is going down or Picard is not doing his job.

JustAHabFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquanaute View Post
Player wise not in a million years but money wise and contract wise ....sure MAB
But in honesty, I want neither for the D.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
chpartisan

Really sucks to lose Markov.

It's all going to depend on the extent of Markov's absence. I'm not sure the current denfensive squad will be able to handle the loss in the long term.

With Markov in the lineup we get the following approximate ice times:

Markov 23 PP1 + PK2
Gorges 21 PK1
Subban 21 PP1
Hamrlik 21 PP2 + PK2
Spacek 18 PP2 + PK2
Gill 16 PK1

Picard averaged 15 per game of ES ice time (no PP or PK).
Weber could average around 16-18? with some PP time.

If Markov is gone for long, Habs might have to shop for a D. What's available out there?

Bieksa + 22 minutes ice time, - no use on PP, + RH shot, - will need to give up prospects/picks
Souray - injured, - ahl, + slap, + fights, - breaks hand in fight
Bergeron + slap (PP), - ES catastrophe, - ice time
Regehr? No PP but could be a solution in terms of all the expiring contracts at the end of the year

Who else?

chpartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Andy

I'd like to see Carle brought up. He did well in his (short) time here. He's a good puck mover and would bring some much needed mobility on the back end.

Of course I'd try out Picard first before anything, but I'd really would like to see this.

Hamrlik Subban
Spacek Gorges
Gill Carle.

Spacek would finally get to play on his side. It won't happen so I fully expect the following.

Hamrlik Spacek
Picard Subban
Gill Gorges.

Last edited by Andy: 11-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 12:42 PM
neofury*

Why would we want to give up possible assets for injury prone Souray who costs an arm and a leg when we can get the same identical result from MAB.

Souray is a product of Montreal, he always was and he always will be. He play okay in Edmonton for a bit but as usual was always getting injured and he's just as bad as MAB defensively if not worse.

Yeah Souray is physical at times and stands up for teammates but in terms of actual defense, he's never even in the defensive zone by the time a goal happens, at least MAB can keep up with the play. Souray gets beat 1 on 1 every time. MAB can at least stay with the person who strips him of the puck for crying out loud lol.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote