HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pointblank Closed today at 4

Old
11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Wang is what he is an owner of team that is not performing well.

HMMM Mets have something like that.
Yes, but the Mets' owner just brought in one of the most respected baseball minds to run his front office and spent the money to put a talented staff around him.

We have Garth Snow as GM and chief scout.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 07:54 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

this is beyond laughable...

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Strummergas

I think we should team up with those on IM and mount a serious letter/email writing campaign. And not just to Isles management. To the league, to the media...frankly, to anyone who will listen. It's one thing to have to endure watching a crap team on the ice. It's another to witness a deliberate attempt to completely destroy the legacy of a once proud franchise. Maybe we can also have some of our more gifted photoshoppers create one or a handful of avatars that we on this board and potentially others can use to show our solidarity as diehards who refuse to put up with anymore Wang-foolery?

And as others have already stated, I too am done with supporting this team with my hard earned cash. I will continue to watch on TV and I'll actually go to see them when they play at The Rock and MSG, but I will also be sure to wear a bag on my head and probably bring signs to let other fans of other teams know just how ridiculous things have gotten in Islander Country.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I just sent this email to the Islanders:

Dear Kimber -

I was dismayed, but not shocked, to find out that the Isles have revoked media access to the team from Chris Botta. Chris Botta is the best reporter of all the media outlets that cover (and I use that word loosely) the Islanders. All of the real fans at ************* and HF Boards recognize this and turn to Botta to get real news and analysis about the team. The real and dedicated fans, the ones that actually spend money on tickets, depend on Botta for the best coverage of the team. We certainly are not getting any useful news and info from Ms. Strang at Newsday.

That said, this is a clear attempt to control the media and present only sugar coated happy news about a team that really has, at this point, not one happy piece of news to report. That is why Jaffe is gone and that is why we have a borderline illiterate Butch Goring in the booth.

Do you have any idea how insulting it is to Islanders fans to see the best TV analyst in the business let go and then the best team reporter for the team muzzled? Do you think we don't see what is going on? Do you think having only happy blogs will make the fans accept the farce that this team has become?

At first, for the first 5 years or so of the Wang regime, I was thankful that he bought the team and kept it on Long Island. But the team has been run into the ground on every level. We have been in a constant rebuild and this could have been a year in which the team truly competed for a playoff spot. But instead of spending money on talented free agents, Mr. Wang and Mr. Snow replaced manure with manure. And don't tell me that if we had a new building players would come. Baloney. If it was not for Mr. Yashin still getting paid, the team would have difficulty reaching the cap floor. What a joke this team has become.

At this point, there is not much left to say. As I stated in a previous email, I am done with the team that I cherished since 1972. A team that was once respected as one of the truly great franchises in pro sports. A team that had ownership that cared and management that knew what they were doing. You must know how much hurt Mr. Torrey and Mr. Arbour must be feeling about the demise of the Islanders.

Pass this message to Mr. Wang: Islanders fans are the most passionate fans in hockey and will not stand idly by as he runs the team into the ground. We will hit him where it hurts, his wallet. Did you see the attendance at last night's game? Be prepared to plenty of $10.00 nights as we are not coming back until things change. To be honest most of the fans I know would rather the team move or be sold than endure the pain of watching the team's infrastructure crumble on every level and become the laughing stock of the NHL.

As for Mr. Botta, realize that he is the one media person that keeps the fans interested in the team. Without him, we really have no coverage at all. You should be giving him all the access he needs and then some. By shutting him out, you are turning out the lights for Islanders fans, and the lights are already very dim indeed.

Rob
Bump for brilliance.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
MeanMisterMustard

Botta on Twitter this morning: "As you may know, not easy for me to lay low. Still hopeful. Still want to see process play out. Support will never be forgotten."

BD Gallof on Botta situation: "Botta situation with Isles might be a bit more complex than just face value. Checking it out."

Wonder what else these clowns have up their sleeve for CB.

MeanMisterMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 08:54 AM
section207

Those quotes are beyond insulting not only to Botta as a professional, but to other bloggers and fans who rely on them for their coverage.

"There are lots of bloggers out there who write from their homes, their couch, outside the arena. He just won't have access."

This owner is complete ******* joke.

section207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:00 AM
MeanMisterMustard

I strongly suggest whoever isn't on Twitter join up and start following hockey writers. Billy Jaffe, BD Gallof, Botta and everyone who is anyone is tweeting daily about hockey events. Also, it's a great medium for expressing your thoughts directly to someone. They do read the tweets you send them and often respond.

MeanMisterMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I just sent this email to the Islanders:

Dear Kimber -

I was dismayed, but not shocked, to find out that the Isles have revoked media access to the team from Chris Botta. Chris Botta is the best reporter of all the media outlets that cover (and I use that word loosely) the Islanders. All of the real fans at ************* and HF Boards recognize this and turn to Botta to get real news and analysis about the team. The real and dedicated fans, the ones that actually spend money on tickets, depend on Botta for the best coverage of the team. We certainly are not getting any useful news and info from Ms. Strang at Newsday.

That said, this is a clear attempt to control the media and present only sugar coated happy news about a team that really has, at this point, not one happy piece of news to report. That is why Jaffe is gone and that is why we have a borderline illiterate Butch Goring in the booth.

Do you have any idea how insulting it is to Islanders fans to see the best TV analyst in the business let go and then the best team reporter for the team muzzled? Do you think we don't see what is going on? Do you think having only happy blogs will make the fans accept the farce that this team has become?

At first, for the first 5 years or so of the Wang regime, I was thankful that he bought the team and kept it on Long Island. But the team has been run into the ground on every level. We have been in a constant rebuild and this could have been a year in which the team truly competed for a playoff spot. But instead of spending money on talented free agents, Mr. Wang and Mr. Snow replaced manure with manure. And don't tell me that if we had a new building players would come. Baloney. If it was not for Mr. Yashin still getting paid, the team would have difficulty reaching the cap floor. What a joke this team has become.

At this point, there is not much left to say. As I stated in a previous email, I am done with the team that I cherished since 1972. A team that was once respected as one of the truly great franchises in pro sports. A team that had ownership that cared and management that knew what they were doing. You must know how much hurt Mr. Torrey and Mr. Arbour must be feeling about the demise of the Islanders.

Pass this message to Mr. Wang: Islanders fans are the most passionate fans in hockey and will not stand idly by as he runs the team into the ground. We will hit him where it hurts, his wallet. Did you see the attendance at last night's game? Be prepared to plenty of $10.00 nights as we are not coming back until things change. To be honest most of the fans I know would rather the team move or be sold than endure the pain of watching the team's infrastructure crumble on every level and become the laughing stock of the NHL.

As for Mr. Botta, realize that he is the one media person that keeps the fans interested in the team. Without him, we really have no coverage at all. You should be giving him all the access he needs and then some. By shutting him out, you are turning out the lights for Islanders fans, and the lights are already very dim indeed.

Rob
Well said. Can't add much. FYI I was offered free tickets for Isles-Bolt's game and refused. I said to the guy, "you gotta give me $100 along with these tickets for me to endure watching this". I envy Isles fans who witnessed glory days, because my 10 years as Isles fan were full of misery. For that I can only say "thank you", comrade Wang.

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

And it continues to become an even sadder, and bigger joke.

Just who do these people in this organization think they are? This is some of the most crooked things I have read about regarding a sports franchise, ever.

I mean, quite literally, Wang is losing his ****ing mind. What does he think there is to gain by becoming a villain? Does he think pissing off Long Islanders is going to gain him any sort of notoriety? He's really going down the wrong road with us. He will not win this battle. Selling this team to an out of state owner is not winning, Charles, you ****ing assbackwards doucheclown.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
section207

Right now, the Islanders have problems outside of being a terrible hockey club. They have a real bad PR problem, all brought upon themselves. Due to the lack of coverage in traditional media (WFAN, 1050, Newspapers, etc.), they normally get away with an abundance of crap. I think the Botta move was the final straw. They are an example of when social media marketing goes bad. Their Facebook page is getting slammed. Even Newsday has picked up this story. One can only hope that WFAN starts talking about it. Can you imagine if another NY franchise pulled these shennanigans.

That being said, as assbackwards as they are, I think they very much realize they've got a pretty bad PR problem right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of concession from the Islanders. I'm saying it now, I'm not buying it. They'll reinstate Botta and then put out some BS about how they care about the fans. This owner cares about one thing, real estate.

I do have hope. Hope that one day we as Islander fans can hold our heads up high and a new owner can restore the tradition of this once great franchise. I want my NY Islanders back. In order for that to happen, Wang must go.

Old
11-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Not sure if they were posted already but does anyone have the email address of some people I can write to and complain?

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:01 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadCat View Post
I think it's time to start a Garth must go chant at every home game

If you want Snow to go while overlooking Wang, then there's only one thing to say to you...

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Not sure if they were posted already but does anyone have the email address of some people I can write to and complain?
puppet@nyislanders.com

dumbanddumber@nyislanders.com

cluelessowner@nyislanders.com

hockeyfordummies@nyislanders.com

here is a few.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:29 AM
E_Godard

I rarely ever read mania but some of the **** in those threads is hilarious. One guy is claiming Botta's site was shutdown cause of DP not being able to handle the criticism. People are really going ******* with all these conspiracy theories.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by section207 View Post
Those quotes are beyond insulting not only to Botta as a professional, but to other bloggers and fans who rely on them for their coverage.

"There are lots of bloggers out there who write from their homes, their couch, outside the arena. He just won't have access."

This owner is complete ******* joke.
The comments from the classless organization only make it worse...waaaay worse. Very unprofessional. All they really needed to say was, "Based on creative differences, we have chosen to terminate Mr. Botta's affiliation with the franchise. We wish him the best going forward." Or how about a "no comment" there Kimber? In that article, the point is made that this is just some blogger that used to report the news when he was under the Isles control...now he just makes it all up. And that, out of the kindness of the organization's heart...they're not going to silence him or anything, but he is no longer welcome at Islanders' facilities.

Seriously, we as fans need to get loud about this and let them know that we're tired of this BS.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post

Seriously, we as fans need to get loud about this and let them know that we're tired of this BS.
Will this be the year Islander fans finally take a stand?

.......Questions will be answered.

NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Of Bates View Post
Will this be the year Islander fans finally take a stand?

.......Questions will be answered.

NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE
awesome.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
islandermike

Just another reason why we suck, the whole organization sucks. It comes from the top and unfortunately for us that is Mr. Wang.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
therein lies the problem buddy, who would buy a NEW franchise here, with issues with nassau and also having to pay Dolan and Vanderbeek indemnification, When the isles were born in 1971, Roy Boe had to pay the Rangers 25M. and there were no Devils then. Any new Franchise here would pay at least 100M on top of the cost of the franchise....and Dolan would never allow a team in queens. The only reason the Isles can is because its already within their territory
Dolan would have no say in the Islanders moving to Queens

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...rs+Mets&st=nyt

In 1972, when the Islanders joined the N.H.L., the $4.5 million territorial fee they paid the Rangers gave them the right to occupy only Nassau County. But a 1986 amendment to the agreement allowed the Islanders to move to Queens and Brooklyn, and within Nassau and Suffolk counties.

I really hope that the Isles relationship with the Mets has not gone sour over the Isles recent action against Chris Botta as he is an employ of SNY, the Mets TV network.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:18 PM
section207

The latest from Botta....

#Isles floating that I interviewed players outside guidelines...really? Never told me. How bout a hearing? Stick to the issue. Shame.

Old
11-18-2010, 12:26 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
why do i like this team again? sigh

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Is this really happening? Lets take a step back here.

We arent the MapleLeafs. We arent the Yankees, and its not the NY Times or Sports Illustrated.

These are the ISLANDERS.. you know.. a team which is the laughingstock of the league and the NY sports area. They have almost 0 fans left as demonstrated by the empty seats for every game.

There is ZERO coverage on this team by 95% of the news outlets in the area.

The one guy who DOES cover the team, doesnt even do it from TV/PAPER/RADIO!! THE GUY IS AT HIS HOUSE AND UPDATING HIS BLOG!!!

combine that with the team being a complete disaster in a multitude of ways.. Oh yeah.. 10 game losing streak, just replaced a coach with an AHL coach, and have a star goalie who is locked up till 2050 who forgot how to make saves.

AND YET THEY ARE WORRIED ABOUT MUZZLING A GUY RUNNING A WEBSITE.

This just shows how truly ****ed this organization is.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Talking about botta on wfan right now. Francesca just demanded they get botta on the phone to talk.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Dan-o16

Wow. This is really sad. It's of a piece of how Islanders have treated their own employees in the past, but I had no idea they could do it to external media members. The Islanders don't have the authority, as a franchise, to do this. I'd think they're going to have to prove a serious grievance against Botta in order to get it past the league. I suppose Botta knows this, which is why he's laying low. He is a drama queen, but he also works for two legitimate media outlets, so he's not exactly BD Gallof, is he?

The only thing that I can think of is that they'll suggest he's revealing trade secrets or something, as a previous company employee... But that makes no sense at all...

Really just another reason to be done with this team.. It's gone into irrevocable self-destruct mode. I'm just figuring out who to switch to... I mean, I can't go to another metro-area team.... I don't like the Caps nor the Sabres much. I hate the Flyers. I don't care for the Penguins. I can't bear Leafs fans. Nor Montreal fans. Nor really Ottawa fans. I can't watch west-coast games. And the south, please? My wife's family is from Chicago, but I'd feel like a bandwagoner. I mean, it's almost like the Bruins or nothing. I like the players (especially Bergeron and Krejci), but I hate the city. Meh.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Talking about botta on wfan right now. Francesca just demanded they get botta on the phone to talk.
Let us know if that interview actually happens. I have a radio within walking distance of my desk at work...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote