HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pointblank Closed today at 4

Old
11-16-2010, 10:54 PM
hgo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Another thing, I used to support Wang with his lighthouse, and I viewed Kate Murray as a devil. At this point in time i realize that this is all wangs fault, he could have had his lighthouse with 20% of the lighthouse features, but no he won't accept that. This clown needs to go for a long walk off a short cliff. If they do move I place 100% of the blame on Wang.
This I won't completely say. It seems like to me that the Nassau GOP turned it into a political game. The entire project was going to be privately funded.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 10:58 PM
The KGBeast

Issues with Wang, Snow, Botta, this organization, whoever aside, the last I checked, the First Amendment was still very much in effect. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, guys.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Ok I still don't think the Isles have something to do with it but I've done some pondering about this and have re-read some posts because I'm pretty bored and you know what I suppose it could be possible but my one question is what could they possibly do to have him shut down? Like I said earlier CB is a national sportswriter now not just a "blogger" couldn't he just be like wtf and create a huge media storm?

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:03 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Wang didn't shut down IPB. Can we stop with this ********? Wang has no control over IPB at all and hasn't for over a year now.
I'm not big on wrongfully accusing people either...

But in THIS case- does it really matter? The dossier on Charles Wang and his complete tyranical ass-backward idiocy and incompetence is completely bulging at the seams as it is.

Him somehow getting "exonerated" from culpability for this solitary event would hardly mitigate his long track record of offenses against Islander fans, players, alumni, coaches, management, etc.

We don't even know if it's misplaced blame- but honestly- with all he's done- who ****ing cares?!?!

He's created this environment of mistrust and paranoia through his actions over a decade. He's the one who's mortgaged "benefit of the doubt" and the "goodwill" of long-tortured Islander fans for his own egotistical and financial ends. If he gets "wrongly" blamed for silencing IPB- tough ****. It's the foreseeable by-product of the culture he himself created.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Here is the thing though Wang has no power at all to shut down IPB. That is what most everybody here and on the other site do not seem to be understanding. Since the Isles stopped sponsoring IPB they have had no control over what got posted. I know its weird timing but there is almost no chance that Wang has anything to do with this.
You don't think that potential legal action of some sort could have forced Botta to shut things down for a bit? You really don't think that Wang doesn't have a team of lawyers who could scare Chris a bit?

You think that this is just a coincidence? I guarantee that IPB has gotten a TON of hits over the last few days and he just decides...NOW...to take a break? Ummm, what?

11-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Botta may be acting childish with his posts, maybe they are personally, maybe he has a vendetta....but he writes from the heart and he's VERY FACTUAL and VERY FAIR.
Great point and it is one that some are missing. Even if Botta's motivation is childish (which I don't think it is, but that is not important), what he has said is either true or his opinion and it is represented as such. He's a fan and a journalist and is very dialed in to how this organization runs under Charles Wang.

Quote:
It's Snow and the Islanders that have a problem. They act like it's unethical to criticize the team....what a f'in joke.

Shameful.

Whether pointblank specifically was stopped/censored or influenced in any way is irrelevant at this point. They've already muzzled every other critical voice and established a media puppet at newsday.

Just a colossal joke.
redbull, I'm a fan. Great post.

Regarding Newsday, did anyone hear Botta's interview on HNIC (the one that he posted last night/this morning)? At the end, one of the hosts said that nobody covers the Islanders better than Botta. That was a clear dig at Katie Shill (oops, Strang) if you ask me.

Killer Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczerkawski21 View Post
IF indeed it was shut down because of his opinion, and the islanders don't own the website im pretty sure thats an infringement on the Freedom of Press amendment. I could be wrong.
You are wrong. Wang is not the government.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Just passing thru and read this thread

As a Hawks fan I must say that Isle fans deserve better then what you have gotten over last 20 years.

I sympathize with you plight and hope for the best on the ice and off

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:49 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Ok I still don't think the Isles have something to do with it but I've done some pondering about this and have re-read some posts because I'm pretty bored and you know what I suppose it could be possible but my one question is what could they possibly do to have him shut down? Like I said earlier CB is a national sportswriter now not just a "blogger" couldn't he just be like wtf and create a huge media storm?
That's what I kinda wonder...what they could legally do to put the screws to Chris. And quite frankly, I think just telling Chris that he no longer has access to the team would be enough for Chris to take a step back briefly and lay low.

But...in this situation, IF the Isles did indeed lay the pressure on...I think lawyers would've gotten involved. And when lawyers get involved, there's no telling what kind of threats get thrown around.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:57 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
That's what I kinda wonder...what they could legally do to put the screws to Chris. And quite frankly, I think just telling Chris that he no longer has access to the team would be enough for Chris to take a step back briefly and lay low.

But...in this situation, IF the Isles did indeed lay the pressure on...I think lawyers would've gotten involved. And when lawyers get involved, there's no telling what kind of threats get thrown around.
Exactly. I've traditionally been one of his harshest critics- but I've never doubted for one second the fact that Chris Botta LOVES the New York Islanders. The guy absolutely bleeds orange and blue. He already has "restricted" access to the team and organization at this point- not quite sure he's got it in himself to go completely over the precipice and get himself entirely blacklisted and banned from the thing he loves. That's the thing Wang- as well as previous ownership regimes- have always had on him IMHO...

Anyway- I just think Botta's love of the Islanders provides Wang leverage that goes above and beyond legal ownership of IPB...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:12 AM
blitzkriegs

Folks, there is a logical connection between the latest news surrounding the team and IPB. Influence was exerted - one does not volunteer to turn off the hit machine known as IPB.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
Exactly. I've traditionally been one of his harshest critics- but I've never doubted for one second the fact that Chris Botta LOVES the New York Islanders. The guy absolutely bleeds orange and blue. He already has "restricted" access to the team and organization at this point- not quite sure he's got it in himself to go completely over the precipice and get himself entirely blacklisted and banned from the thing he loves. That's the thing Wang- as well as previous ownership regimes- have always had on him IMHO...

Anyway- I just think Botta's love of the Islanders provides Wang leverage that goes above and beyond legal ownership of IPB...
Agreed.

And honestly, he loses ALOT if the Isles cut him off and the players are not able to speak with him. He loses the ability to get the relevant, up to date information that his readers look for. He'd be left essentially quoting what Katie comes up with...and even then, he can't really quote her all that much since Newsday is a garbage pay site and he'd probably catch hell for directly quoting her.

So then he focuses more on being an NHL sportswriter...but IPB is his bread and butter, the Islanders are his (and his sons') team, and he gets alot of traffic to that site.

If the Isles truly wanted to hurt him in some way, the first thing they'd do is exclude him from meetings with the GM and conference calls. Maybe make him jump thru hoops in order to get a press pass. Mission accomplished...they've apparently done that. But that's not enough and Chris still has a few critical things to say about the team every now and then. So, what's the next step? Blacklisting him? It's possible and regardless of if the Isles truly did put the squeeze on him today or not...I think they were going to slowly weed him out of the picture as best they could.

Botta has made public a few things in the past week that even I just said to myself, "Woah, and this guy can still get in the Coliseum?!" I think one of things that may have set them off this time around was Botta's criticism of the organization and Trottier. He mentioned on IPB and his Twitter how telling it was that Trottier still doesn't have a title, even when Snow and Wang were brushing it off over the summer by saying that he will have another title. Also, the season press pass comment. He was also the one that started the "Jaffe is gone for being too critical of the team" jab. And he did lob a few critical comments about the Gordon firing. It's nothing that any of us can't really figure out on our own, I mean, all of us basically play that Benny Hill theme in our heads when Snow or Wang talk (at least I do). I guess it just puts it into perspective when you hear it coming from Botta.

Old
11-17-2010, 12:43 AM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Folks, there is a logical connection between the latest news surrounding the team and IPB. Influence was exerted - one does not volunteer to turn off the hit machine known as IPB.
No doubt about it, and I can't understand how even the most deluded NYI fanboy would try to argue that Wang and co. have nothing to do with this "blackout." As we saw with Jaffe, anyone who doesn't stay in firm lockstep with the org can expect to be punished in some way. Personally, I imagine they had enough of Botta's badmouthing (or "honesty" to those of us with an ounce of sanity) and sent him a legal threat over the use of "Islanders" in his blog's name, or something along those lines.

This has been a terrible week to be an Islander fan, and we're barely to hump day

11-17-2010, 01:15 AM
OpAck

Random Facebook comment from the Isles' contest to win two tickets to tomorrow's game:

"If I don't enter do you promise to NOT send me a ticket?"

Hehe!

Old
11-17-2010, 03:02 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Another thing, I used to support Wang with his lighthouse, and I viewed Kate Murray as a devil. At this point in time i realize that this is all wangs fault, he could have had his lighthouse with 20% of the lighthouse features, but no he won't accept that. This clown needs to go for a long walk off a short cliff. If they do move I place 100% of the blame on Wang.
I am glad some see clearly. The man is as I described him years ago and some just now see. Many demanded he get 100% but I chided many because I knew the man and I wanted the neighborhood to not be burdened with his monetary whims.

People STOP PAYING HIM MONEY.

Give it to your parents and kids and save it for hard times on the way (inflation). This *****bag has not done a thing to earn it over the ones you love.

TV sets are very nice nowadays and the players will get their money whether you go or not.

Buy your parents something to thank them or your kids something to let them know you love them. Two emotions you have sent this sheister who takes all your money for the product you have now.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:07 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
You are wrong. Wang is not the government.
no, he's just the mad Emperor.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
In Garth I Trust

Say what you will, but unless they move the team I will not abandon my fanship or boycott the Isles.

The Devil Rays changed their name, dropped the Devil, and the ownership group lied about it and the reasoning. I boycotted the team and haven't gone to a game since. An asinine name change is grounds for me.

But then again, the Yanks are my favorite team.

I digress. I love my Isles and would love for them to do well. I still hold hope that Wang and Snow want the Lighthouse and want this team to do well. I'm frustrated that Wang is cheap, but then again I hate the Bucs owners and am a season ticket holder. It just depends on the level of stupidity by the owner on whether I will give up my loyalty to a team.

None of this has taken away my Islanders fanship. I plan on being up there in December and going to as many Islander games as I can. I love and support my team, and not living there I would not pass up the chance to attend some games.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 06:35 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Say what you will, but unless they move the team I will not abandon my fanship or boycott the Isles.

The Devil Rays changed their name, dropped the Devil, and the ownership group lied about it and the reasoning. I boycotted the team and haven't gone to a game since. An asinine name change is grounds for me.

I digress. I love my Isles and would love for them to do well. I still hold hope that Wang and Snow want the Lighthouse and want this team to do well. I'm frustrated that Wang is cheap, but then again I hate the Bucs owners and am a season ticket holder. It just depends on the level of stupidity by the owner on whether I will give up my loyalty to a team.

None of this has taken away my Islanders fanship. I plan on being up there in December and going to as many Islander games as I can. I love and support my team, and not living there I would not pass up the chance to attend some games.

Dude, you need some sleep.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Ziggy96
No Sleep 'til...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

"Seated at his usual table in the bar, he “gazed up at the enormous face...Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother afterall."-1984

Congratulations

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Whether pointblank specifically was stopped/censored or influenced in any way is irrelevant at this point. They've already muzzled every other critical voice and established a media puppet at newsday.

Just a colossal joke.
Redbull, you are usually among the most intelligent posters on this board. So, I'm going to assume that the fact that you don't live in New York is leading you astray here.

The Islanders can control only what information they put out there and who they give it to. They don't control anyone. They can't stop the media from digging around. Does anyone honestly think there's no disgruntled employee within the organization who is willing to talk? Please. So why doesn't the media dig around? Because nobody friggin' cares, end of story. If anyone cared there would be relentless negativity.

We saw what happened when the Mets attempted to manipulate the media. It blew up in their faces, because people cared, and when people care the New York media is an irresistible force. We saw the same thing happen to the Knicks.

The Islanders haven't muzzled anyone. By inhibiting access, media just shrugged it off. Why bother?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Right. Botta makes money off of IPB. How much, I don't know, but still money. To suggest that he would just choose to turn it off a day after the coach is fired and he does 11 radio interviews, all of which gave out his website, is simply moronic. To think that it is a site maintenance issue is equally moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
No doubt about it, and I can't understand how even the most deluded NYI fanboy would try to argue that Wang and co. have nothing to do with this "blackout." As we saw with Jaffe, anyone who doesn't stay in firm lockstep with the org can expect to be punished in some way. Personally, I imagine they had enough of Botta's badmouthing (or "honesty" to those of us with an ounce of sanity) and sent him a legal threat over the use of "Islanders" in his blog's name, or something along those lines.

This has been a terrible week to be an Islander fan, and we're barely to hump day
It's good to see that logic still prevails with some posters around here. nyisles, good to see you as a guiding light over here. I left this place in very capable hands with you on the job. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Old
11-17-2010, 07:12 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Redbull, you are usually among the most intelligent posters on this board. So, I'm going to assume that the fact that you don't live in New York is leading you astray here.

The Islanders can control only what information they put out there and who they give it to. They don't control anyone. They can't stop the media from digging around. Does anyone honestly think there's no disgruntled employee within the organization who is willing to talk? Please. So why doesn't the media dig around? Because nobody friggin' cares, end of story. If anyone cared there would be relentless negativity.

We saw what happened when the Mets attempted to manipulate the media. It blew up in their faces, because people cared, and when people care the New York media is an irresistible force. We saw the same thing happen to the Knicks.

The Islanders haven't muzzled anyone. By inhibiting access, media just shrugged it off. Why bother?

Cheers,

Dan-o
There is some truth to this, but than explain Jaffe? If the Islanders have made no attempt at censoring what is said about the organization, why was a nationally recognized color man let go in favor of a headless horseman? Answer is: Charles Wang wants no negativity directed at his team.

Which is ironic because he CREATES it all. There is no doubt in my mind that Charles is on Botta's ass because he uses the word New York Islanders in his blog. That is a copyrighted name and it belongs to Charles Wang. He has made millions off screwing everyone over. Chris Botta would never decide to walk away from a blog thats platooning him into new heights in his career.

Something is trying to stop it. Sometimes, the answer is right in front of our faces.

Nobody may care, but you saw - first hand - the backlash against the Jaffe decision. Wang doesn't have a care in the world for our opinion.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Killer Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post

Cheers,

Dan-o
Dan,

Botta was one of two reporters at practice when the Gordon thing shook out. The Islanders didn't give him the number to dial in to the conference call that Snow was facilitating. To suggest that they don't attempt to control the media is very misguided. There are no coincidences with the Islanders and Charles Wang. Everything is calculated and planned out.

The Islanders have absolutely manipulated the media and I will bet the house that they have muzzled people. Have you see any of Smith, Nolan, Janks, Trottier, LaFontaine, Laviolette, Milbury, etc, etc, etc really trash the organization? Have any of them had reason? Of course they have. Methinks that there could be some confidentiality agreements that employees have to sign. It isn't like they all left willingly or on great terms.

Old
11-17-2010, 07:21 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Hey at least if we turn this country into Communist China we will have a better economy!!!! Wang Must Go!!!!

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
The Islanders have absolutely manipulated the media and I will bet the house that they have muzzled people. Have you see any of Smith, Nolan, Janks, Trottier, LaFontaine, Laviolette, Milbury, etc, etc, etc really trash the organization? Have any of them had reason? Of course they have. Methinks that there could be some confidentiality agreements that employees have to sign. It isn't like they all left willingly or on great terms.
KC, I don't entirely disagree. I'm just saying that it's not like they 'muzzled the media' - they just blocked access to certain individuals. Seriously, are we that worried about Chris Botta who launches criticisms no more incisive than the intelligent posters on this board? Please.

My point is if anyone thought people would care to read an Islanders expose (add accent), it would be written in a New York minute.

Nobody is going to stop any media member from dropping bombs on the Islanders except their editor who will deem it a waste of space and resources.

Agreed?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote