HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Pointblank Closed today at 4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
  #151
Jon Jordan
 
Jon Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
This whole situation is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't written about the Islanders with any real detail in YEARS but the Gordon firing made me stray from my Lightning focus.

Now, CB's been sandbagged (for sure, folks... Believe it). What a joke the NYI have become, which is truly saying something after all they've been through over the years.

I feel bad for any young Islander fans, who quite literally have never seen this team win so much as a single playoff round.

I'll always have a soft spot for this team, regardless of whatever affiliation I may have elsewhere but the perpetual torment this team puts its fanbase through is inexcusable (and I can't possibly feel worse for the rest of you die-hards!)

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner

Jon Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:47 AM
  #152
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post
This whole situation is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't written about the Islanders with any real detail in YEARS but the Gordon firing made me stray from my Lightning focus.

Now, CB's been sandbagged (for sure, folks... Believe it). What a joke the NYI have become, which is truly saying something after all they've been through over the years.

I feel bad for any young Islander fans, who quite literally have never seen this team win so much as a single playoff round.

I'll always have a soft spot for this team, regardless of whatever affiliation I may have elsewhere but the perpetual torment this team puts its fanbase through is inexcusable (and I can't possibly feel worse for the rest of you die-hards!)

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner
Excellent article BTW. Spot on.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:55 AM
  #153
Kostas X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Botta has written plenty of negative articles about the Islanders in the past, and this is never happened, I don't see why it would now.

Why don't you guys take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard, and relax. We'll have an explanation on this eventually.

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:07 AM
  #154
twentytwo
Registered User
 
twentytwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 516
Country: United States
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
This thread is giving me a headache. The conspiracy theories went from mildly amusing to annoying. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. As somone stated earlier, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. When cooler heads prevail, don't forget to put your tin foil hats in the recycling bin.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:14 AM
  #155
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...
 
Ziggy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lotto-Pickville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
This thread is giving me a headache. The conspiracy theories went from mildly amusing to annoying. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. As somone stated earlier, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. When cooler heads prevail, don't forget to put your tin foil hats in the recycling bin.
BIG MISTAKE! IF YOU PUT THEM IN THE RECYCLING BIN, THEY COULD MIX WITH SEVERAL GALLONS OF THERMITE PAINT AND BLOW YOUR HOUSE SKY HIGH!! I WAS A NAVY SEAL, I WOULD KNOW!!



please, somebody get the referance

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
  #156
DaMick
at least we got D
 
DaMick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Purgatory
Country: United States
Posts: 8,425
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
This whole situation is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't written about the Islanders with any real detail in YEARS but the Gordon firing made me stray from my Lightning focus.

Now, CB's been sandbagged (for sure, folks... Believe it). What a joke the NYI have become, which is truly saying something after all they've been through over the years.

I feel bad for any young Islander fans, who quite literally have never seen this team win so much as a single playoff round.

I'll always have a soft spot for this team, regardless of whatever affiliation I may have elsewhere but the perpetual torment this team puts its fanbase through is inexcusable (and I can't possibly feel worse for the rest of you die-hards!)

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner
Great article JJ...feel free to drop by anytime here



Back to topic- Hmm..Maybe some people might need this.

__________________
DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
  #157
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
didnt aol agree to continue to host the site once botta started writting for fanhouse? anyone remember who was gonna host it for him? i dont really think its islander controlled.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
  #158
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Just to offer another, perhaps more plausible reason for IPB being "closed" - CB apparently had some serious issues with his laptop over the weekend:

Quote:
My apologies for not being around as much as I would have liked. As I mentioned earlier in the game, Iím having major laptop problems. Hopefully fixed soon.
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. Was working on my brief game recap. Pray for my laptopís recovery. I may need it soon.
Of course, CB hasn't said anything about why he had to close IPB - just that he thought it would return in "a few days or longer" - his twitter hasn't been updated since his last posting on IPB either.

Folks who want Wang's head on a platter have plenty of ammunition, but maybe this in particular shouldn't have been made a focal issue quite yet.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:43 AM
  #159
hockeygoon15
Registered User
 
hockeygoon15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy96 View Post
BIG MISTAKE! IF YOU PUT THEM IN THE RECYCLING BIN, THEY COULD MIX WITH SEVERAL GALLONS OF THERMITE PAINT AND BLOW YOUR HOUSE SKY HIGH!! I WAS A NAVY SEAL, I WOULD KNOW!!



please, somebody get the referance
Thank you for your service...

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
  #160
Isles Shawn
Registered User
 
Isles Shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Just made this...


Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
  #161
lorwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
I will stick to the innocent until proved guilty on the Wang/IBP accusations.

But with that said and stepping back to look at the big picture, with another lost season/another coaching change and no arena resolution I am afraid what we may be witnessing here is the slow death of a franchise.

As I rose in utter jubilation from my seat at the Coliseum on that Spring afternoon when Nystrom put a backhander in the net and the New York Islanders dynasty began I could never in my wildest nightmares think that this organization would ever come to this. Never.

lorwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
  #162
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy96 View Post
"Seated at his usual table in the bar, he ďgazed up at the enormous face...Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother afterall."-1984

Congratulations
Yeah yeah, he's been brainwashed!!

Or, you know, he's just a regular guy that made a decision that's different than yours.

I really hope people don't give others balls if they go to games and such. People are just going through life like everyone else and trying to do what makes them happy. It's just sports.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
  #163
OhNoItsComeau57
Registered User
 
OhNoItsComeau57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Oh it is not that bad guys...we still have an AHL team, right?
We actually have 2. And 2 AHL coaches to boot.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
  #164
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...
 
Ziggy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lotto-Pickville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Yeah yeah, he's been brainwashed!!

Or, you know, he's just a regular guy that made a decision that's different than yours.

I really hope people don't give others balls if they go to games and such. People are just going through life like everyone else and trying to do what makes them happy. It's just sports.
So...they got you too



Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
  #165
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
Just to offer another, perhaps more plausible reason for IPB being "closed" - CB apparently had some serious issues with his laptop over the weekend:





Of course, CB hasn't said anything about why he had to close IPB - just that he thought it would return in "a few days or longer" - his twitter hasn't been updated since his last posting on IPB either.

Folks who want Wang's head on a platter have plenty of ammunition, but maybe this in particular shouldn't have been made a focal issue quite yet.
Then why wouldn't he say the laptop was broken and he needed time for it to be fixed? Plus, you can post on Twitter from your phone very easily.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
  #166
hockeygoon15
Registered User
 
hockeygoon15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
I think KC put it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Yeah, you're right. It couldn't be Wang. No chance.

Get a clue, bro. Every time there is smoke with this franchise, there's a ****ing dumpster fire. EVERY TIME. But keep defending him, it's cool. Enjoy your 17.88 tickets and your 1.78 value.
Fool me once.....

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
  #167
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I will stick to the innocent until proved guilty on the Wang/IBP accusations.

But with that said and stepping back to look at the big picture, with another lost season/another coaching change and no arena resolution I am afraid what we may be witnessing here is the slow death of a franchise.

As I rose in utter jubilation from my seat at the Coliseum on that Spring afternoon when Nystrom put a backhander in the net and the New York Islanders dynasty began I could never in my wildest nightmares think that this organization would ever come to this. Never.
Sadly, that's probably what we are witnessing.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:03 AM
  #168
section207
Registered User
 
section207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I know everyone here hates Wang but I seriously didn't expect this much of the fan base to be foolish enough to think there's a crazy conspiracy theories that Wang shut down a site he has no control what so ever over. Listen I dislike Charles as much as the next fan but for all we know it could be a technical problem, a problem with sny or it could just be a personal problem with Botta. Botta is a baby and would have littered his twitter page immediately even if there was some remote chance that Charles Wang shut down his website. This thread should be locked for the insanity going on here.


That's not entirely true. Wang employs a company called Generations Beyond. They are listed as the administrative contact for Islanderspointblank.com. He can park the domain, redirect it to NYIslanders.com or whatever he'd like. IPB started as an Islanders project. Chris should have gotten control of the domain. Regardless, he could have legal issues due to the domain name including Islanders. Wang can hire some hack to draft a complaint saying Botta is not the owner of the Islanders trademark and can be liable for damages.

Let's not forget, this is the team that claimed Billy Jaffe wasn't positive enough and signed Butch Goring to take his place.

section207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
  #169
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Dan,

Botta was one of two reporters at practice when the Gordon thing shook out. The Islanders didn't give him the number to dial in to the conference call that Snow was facilitating. To suggest that they don't attempt to control the media is very misguided. There are no coincidences with the Islanders and Charles Wang. Everything is calculated and planned out.

The Islanders have absolutely manipulated the media and I will bet the house that they have muzzled people. Have you see any of Smith, Nolan, Janks, Trottier, LaFontaine, Laviolette, Milbury, etc, etc, etc really trash the organization? Have any of them had reason? Of course they have. Methinks that there could be some confidentiality agreements that employees have to sign. It isn't like they all left willingly or on great terms.
Actually, it's just common sense in a closed community (the NHL) to not burn bridges and make noise. People in that community know the real deal so there is no need for any of those people to air anything in the public's eye; it's not in their interest to. The NHL is run / managed by a closed group of a couple hundred people at most. No need for any of the people you mentioned to burn any bridges publicly. It's just not smart career-wise.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
  #170
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy96 View Post
BIG MISTAKE! IF YOU PUT THEM IN THE RECYCLING BIN, THEY COULD MIX WITH SEVERAL GALLONS OF THERMITE PAINT AND BLOW YOUR HOUSE SKY HIGH!! I WAS A NAVY SEAL, I WOULD KNOW!!



please, somebody get the referance
I love that show!!!!

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
  #171
twentytwo
Registered User
 
twentytwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 516
Country: United States
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Then why wouldn't he say the laptop was broken and he needed time for it to be fixed? Plus, you can post on Twitter from your phone very easily.
I like Botta and I read his work often, but it seems like he can be a bit of a drama queen from time to time. Maybe to drum up suspense or as this thread illustrates...CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

See how I flipped it there?

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
  #172
TROLLPOSO
Registered User
 
TROLLPOSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
I like Botta and I read his work often, but it seems like he can be a bit of a drama queen from time to time. Maybe to drum up suspense or as this thread illustrates...CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

See how I flipped it there?
Perception is reality and the reality is Wang has systematically destroyed any positive feelings for this team especially in this off season with the firings of Janks, Jaffe and Trotts. Now this clusterF with Gordon and the possible censoring of IPB.

I feel Wang is the Iceberg and the franchise is the Titanic and we are going down. I pray the Bettman does whats in the best interest of the league and makes a stand or else this team is toast.

We are hemorrhaging our fan base daily with these moves. I am teetering on full blown apathy at this point. I thought my Cowboys were screwed up but Wang makes that crap show look totally stable.

I used to find posters like Trottier and OldTimeHockey too cynical for my tastes, but right now it seems they were prophetic more than anyone else.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:44 AM
  #173
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Then why wouldn't he say the laptop was broken and he needed time for it to be fixed? Plus, you can post on Twitter from your phone very easily.
Sure. I'm not saying that is the reason. I'm saying if you're looking for clues, there's more than just anti-Wang evidence available to draw conclusions from. We don't know.

I'll give you another (highly unlikely) scenario. Let's say that the mystery prospective buyer he's referenced several times in the last 6 weeks - or really any prospective buyer of the team - actually started serious negotiations with Wang behind the scenes in the last 48 hours. Wang might request CB lay off for a few days while he tries to work out a deal in order to keep negative vibe to a minimum. CB would comply as it is in his best interest to see the team sold to a more receptive owner. Bear in mind that the last thing he said about this buyer was that there was nothing much to it.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't take much to get this crowd riled up and there are a lot of wild assumptions being taken as fact.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
  #174
CrimsonBruin21
 
CrimsonBruin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas X View Post
Botta has written plenty of negative articles about the Islanders in the past, and this is never happened, I don't see why it would now.

Why don't you guys take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard, and relax. We'll have an explanation on this eventually.
Sure we will. Probably be in the same press release with Trottier's new title...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
  #175
And You Feel Shame
Registered User
 
And You Feel Shame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Again View Post
I used to find posters like Trottier and OldTimeHockey too cynical for my tastes, but right now it seems they were prophetic more than anyone else.
I never found Trottier to be too cynical, especially since he used things like facts to support his viewpoints. Others, however... what's sad is that I think part of them enjoys this.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.