HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Pointblank Closed today at 4

Old
11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Jon Jordan

vCash: 500
This whole situation is beyond ridiculous.

I haven't written about the Islanders with any real detail in YEARS but the Gordon firing made me stray from my Lightning focus.

Now, CB's been sandbagged (for sure, folks... Believe it). What a joke the NYI have become, which is truly saying something after all they've been through over the years.

I feel bad for any young Islander fans, who quite literally have never seen this team win so much as a single playoff round.

I'll always have a soft spot for this team, regardless of whatever affiliation I may have elsewhere but the perpetual torment this team puts its fanbase through is inexcusable (and I can't possibly feel worse for the rest of you die-hards!)

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner

Jon Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:47 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post

I haven't written about the Islanders with any real detail in YEARS but the Gordon firing made me stray from my Lightning focus.

Now, CB's been sandbagged (for sure, folks... Believe it). What a joke the NYI have become, which is truly saying something after all they've been through over the years.

I feel bad for any young Islander fans, who quite literally have never seen this team win so much as a single playoff round.

I'll always have a soft spot for this team, regardless of whatever affiliation I may have elsewhere but the perpetual torment this team puts its fanbase through is inexcusable (and I can't possibly feel worse for the rest of you die-hards!)

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner
Excellent article BTW. Spot on.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Kostas X

Botta has written plenty of negative articles about the Islanders in the past, and this is never happened, I don't see why it would now.

Why don't you guys take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard, and relax. We'll have an explanation on this eventually.

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:07 AM
twentytwo

This thread is giving me a headache. The conspiracy theories went from mildly amusing to annoying. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. As somone stated earlier, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. When cooler heads prevail, don't forget to put your tin foil hats in the recycling bin.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
This thread is giving me a headache. The conspiracy theories went from mildly amusing to annoying. I'm sure we'll hear something soon. As somone stated earlier, the simplest explanation is probably the right one. When cooler heads prevail, don't forget to put your tin foil hats in the recycling bin.
BIG MISTAKE! IF YOU PUT THEM IN THE RECYCLING BIN, THEY COULD MIX WITH SEVERAL GALLONS OF THERMITE PAINT AND BLOW YOUR HOUSE SKY HIGH!! I WAS A NAVY SEAL, I WOULD KNOW!!

please, somebody get the referance

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Sad, sad situation.

Jon Jordan
Kukla's Korner
Great article JJ...feel free to drop by anytime here

Back to topic- Hmm..Maybe some people might need this.

11-17-2010, 08:29 AM
the sweetener

didnt aol agree to continue to host the site once botta started writting for fanhouse? anyone remember who was gonna host it for him? i dont really think its islander controlled.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:42 AM
And You Feel Shame

Just to offer another, perhaps more plausible reason for IPB being "closed" - CB apparently had some serious issues with his laptop over the weekend:

Quote:
My apologies for not being around as much as I would have liked. As I mentioned earlier in the game, Iím having major laptop problems. Hopefully fixed soon.
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. Was working on my brief game recap. Pray for my laptopís recovery. I may need it soon.
Of course, CB hasn't said anything about why he had to close IPB - just that he thought it would return in "a few days or longer" - his twitter hasn't been updated since his last posting on IPB either.

Folks who want Wang's head on a platter have plenty of ammunition, but maybe this in particular shouldn't have been made a focal issue quite yet.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:43 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy96 View Post
BIG MISTAKE! IF YOU PUT THEM IN THE RECYCLING BIN, THEY COULD MIX WITH SEVERAL GALLONS OF THERMITE PAINT AND BLOW YOUR HOUSE SKY HIGH!! I WAS A NAVY SEAL, I WOULD KNOW!!

Thank you for your service...

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Isles Shawn

Just made this...

Isles Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
lorwood

I will stick to the innocent until proved guilty on the Wang/IBP accusations.

But with that said and stepping back to look at the big picture, with another lost season/another coaching change and no arena resolution I am afraid what we may be witnessing here is the slow death of a franchise.

As I rose in utter jubilation from my seat at the Coliseum on that Spring afternoon when Nystrom put a backhander in the net and the New York Islanders dynasty began I could never in my wildest nightmares think that this organization would ever come to this. Never.

lorwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
"Seated at his usual table in the bar, he ďgazed up at the enormous face...Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother afterall."-1984

Congratulations
Yeah yeah, he's been brainwashed!!

Or, you know, he's just a regular guy that made a decision that's different than yours.

I really hope people don't give others balls if they go to games and such. People are just going through life like everyone else and trying to do what makes them happy. It's just sports.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Oh it is not that bad guys...we still have an AHL team, right?
We actually have 2. And 2 AHL coaches to boot.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Yeah yeah, he's been brainwashed!!

Or, you know, he's just a regular guy that made a decision that's different than yours.

I really hope people don't give others balls if they go to games and such. People are just going through life like everyone else and trying to do what makes them happy. It's just sports.
So...they got you too

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
Just to offer another, perhaps more plausible reason for IPB being "closed" - CB apparently had some serious issues with his laptop over the weekend:

Of course, CB hasn't said anything about why he had to close IPB - just that he thought it would return in "a few days or longer" - his twitter hasn't been updated since his last posting on IPB either.

Folks who want Wang's head on a platter have plenty of ammunition, but maybe this in particular shouldn't have been made a focal issue quite yet.
Then why wouldn't he say the laptop was broken and he needed time for it to be fixed? Plus, you can post on Twitter from your phone very easily.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:00 AM
hockeygoon15

I think KC put it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Yeah, you're right. It couldn't be Wang. No chance.

Get a clue, bro. Every time there is smoke with this franchise, there's a ****ing dumpster fire. EVERY TIME. But keep defending him, it's cool. Enjoy your 17.88 tickets and your 1.78 value.
Fool me once.....

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I will stick to the innocent until proved guilty on the Wang/IBP accusations.

But with that said and stepping back to look at the big picture, with another lost season/another coaching change and no arena resolution I am afraid what we may be witnessing here is the slow death of a franchise.

As I rose in utter jubilation from my seat at the Coliseum on that Spring afternoon when Nystrom put a backhander in the net and the New York Islanders dynasty began I could never in my wildest nightmares think that this organization would ever come to this. Never.
Sadly, that's probably what we are witnessing.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:03 AM
section207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
I know everyone here hates Wang but I seriously didn't expect this much of the fan base to be foolish enough to think there's a crazy conspiracy theories that Wang shut down a site he has no control what so ever over. Listen I dislike Charles as much as the next fan but for all we know it could be a technical problem, a problem with sny or it could just be a personal problem with Botta. Botta is a baby and would have littered his twitter page immediately even if there was some remote chance that Charles Wang shut down his website. This thread should be locked for the insanity going on here.

That's not entirely true. Wang employs a company called Generations Beyond. They are listed as the administrative contact for Islanderspointblank.com. He can park the domain, redirect it to NYIslanders.com or whatever he'd like. IPB started as an Islanders project. Chris should have gotten control of the domain. Regardless, he could have legal issues due to the domain name including Islanders. Wang can hire some hack to draft a complaint saying Botta is not the owner of the Islanders trademark and can be liable for damages.

Let's not forget, this is the team that claimed Billy Jaffe wasn't positive enough and signed Butch Goring to take his place.

section207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson View Post
Dan,

Botta was one of two reporters at practice when the Gordon thing shook out. The Islanders didn't give him the number to dial in to the conference call that Snow was facilitating. To suggest that they don't attempt to control the media is very misguided. There are no coincidences with the Islanders and Charles Wang. Everything is calculated and planned out.

The Islanders have absolutely manipulated the media and I will bet the house that they have muzzled people. Have you see any of Smith, Nolan, Janks, Trottier, LaFontaine, Laviolette, Milbury, etc, etc, etc really trash the organization? Have any of them had reason? Of course they have. Methinks that there could be some confidentiality agreements that employees have to sign. It isn't like they all left willingly or on great terms.
Actually, it's just common sense in a closed community (the NHL) to not burn bridges and make noise. People in that community know the real deal so there is no need for any of those people to air anything in the public's eye; it's not in their interest to. The NHL is run / managed by a closed group of a couple hundred people at most. No need for any of the people you mentioned to burn any bridges publicly. It's just not smart career-wise.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:

I love that show!!!!

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:28 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Then why wouldn't he say the laptop was broken and he needed time for it to be fixed? Plus, you can post on Twitter from your phone very easily.
I like Botta and I read his work often, but it seems like he can be a bit of a drama queen from time to time. Maybe to drum up suspense or as this thread illustrates...CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

See how I flipped it there?

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
I like Botta and I read his work often, but it seems like he can be a bit of a drama queen from time to time. Maybe to drum up suspense or as this thread illustrates...CONSPIRACY THEORIES!

See how I flipped it there?
Perception is reality and the reality is Wang has systematically destroyed any positive feelings for this team especially in this off season with the firings of Janks, Jaffe and Trotts. Now this clusterF with Gordon and the possible censoring of IPB.

I feel Wang is the Iceberg and the franchise is the Titanic and we are going down. I pray the Bettman does whats in the best interest of the league and makes a stand or else this team is toast.

We are hemorrhaging our fan base daily with these moves. I am teetering on full blown apathy at this point. I thought my Cowboys were screwed up but Wang makes that crap show look totally stable.

I used to find posters like Trottier and OldTimeHockey too cynical for my tastes, but right now it seems they were prophetic more than anyone else.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:44 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Sure. I'm not saying that is the reason. I'm saying if you're looking for clues, there's more than just anti-Wang evidence available to draw conclusions from. We don't know.

I'll give you another (highly unlikely) scenario. Let's say that the mystery prospective buyer he's referenced several times in the last 6 weeks - or really any prospective buyer of the team - actually started serious negotiations with Wang behind the scenes in the last 48 hours. Wang might request CB lay off for a few days while he tries to work out a deal in order to keep negative vibe to a minimum. CB would comply as it is in his best interest to see the team sold to a more receptive owner. Bear in mind that the last thing he said about this buyer was that there was nothing much to it.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't take much to get this crowd riled up and there are a lot of wild assumptions being taken as fact.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas X View Post
Botta has written plenty of negative articles about the Islanders in the past, and this is never happened, I don't see why it would now.

Why don't you guys take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard, and relax. We'll have an explanation on this eventually.
Sure we will. Probably be in the same press release with Trottier's new title...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Again View Post
I used to find posters like Trottier and OldTimeHockey too cynical for my tastes, but right now it seems they were prophetic more than anyone else.
I never found Trottier to be too cynical, especially since he used things like facts to support his viewpoints. Others, however... what's sad is that I think part of them enjoys this.