HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BC Hockey (Kreider Updates)

Old
11-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thanks for posting your opinion on his play thus far... Not a lot of BC fans posting on this board.
well im primarily a rangers fan, bc hockey comes second. but i've been pretty excited about kreider since last year and thought since he's our "best" prospect that i'd keep everyone updated.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 10:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

How's his PK work? Does he generate a decent amount of short-handed chances with his speed?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How's his PK work? Does he generate a decent amount of short-handed chances with his speed?
i'll let you know after this weekend. we have 2 games friday night and sunday night against maine so i'll look for those things. off the top of my head i can't tell you about how many chances he generates on the penalty kill. on the power play i've noticed he's usually on the boards, he has a very decent mobility though, and his shot is accurate when he shoots it.

However, BC's power play is pretty bland. They don't move the puck all too well, but for a college hockey team it's decent enough.

Old
11-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Levitate

Also seems to me that Kreider is the type that could benefit a lot from some one on one NHL level coaching.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 06:56 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Sather View Post
I saw him twice, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, he's a faster Jonas Hoglund.
Ugh... you can't be serious.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

I said the nicest way possible!!

As he's playing right now, he's a rangy speedy guy with zero physical game and decent to very good offensive skills. Lee Stempniak is another decent comparison I think.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
msv957

Quote:
I said the nicest way possible!!

As he's playing right now, he's a rangy speedy guy with zero physical game and decent to very good offensive skills. Lee Stempniak is another decent comparison I think.
Kreider is the "jewel" of this organization's prospect list... Was a player like Stempniak ever considered the "jewel" of their organization prospect list?

Kreider has probably the best combination of size/skating ability and skills for all of the prospects outside of the NHL right now. It would be nice to see him dominate college hockey which he has the ability to do so he can silence the doubters.

Old
11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

He should have gone to BU.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
He should have gone to anywhere else.
Fixed.

Hope he has a good season.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Jxmarts

It's almost unheard of that a foward who has not excelled offensively at the college level by his sophmore season (that is, scoring about a point per game) becomes a productive top 6 forward in the NHL.

So if Chris Kreider is going to meet expectations for the Rangers, he needs to step it up this year, not next. If not, then at best we have yet another finesse checking forward on our hands.

If a young player doesn't have the talent to dominate college hockey by his sophmore year, then he probably doesn't have the skills to become a top 6 forward in the NHL. I can't think of many (or even any) examples of top 6 NHL forwards in the past 30 years who didn't excel in college before their junior or senior seasons. I doubt Kreider will be the first.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 08:01 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
It's almost unheard of that a foward who has not excelled offensively at the college level by his sophmore season (that is, scoring about a point per game) becomes a productive top 6 forward in the NHL.

So if Chris Kreider is going to meet expectations for the Rangers, he needs to step it up this year, not next. If not, then at best we have yet another finesse checking forward on our hands.

If a young player doesn't have the talent to dominate college hockey by his sophmore year, then he probably doesn't have the skills to become a top 6 forward in the NHL. I can't think of many (or even any) examples of top 6 NHL forwards in the past 30 years who didn't excel in college before their junior or senior seasons. I doubt Kreider will be the first.
Interesting post which is probably dead on historically/statistically with prospects not dominating college by their Sophmore season... This could be alarming.. yes...

But, Kreider is mentioned to have the unique package of size/skating ability and skills that can translate well into the NHL. This could be the exception to the theory in regards to college players not dominating by their sophmore season thus not becoming a top 6 NHL forward.. We shall see..

Also.. his Sophmore season is not over yet.. plenty of games left. Kreider can get on a tear and possibly produce big time.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:20 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Interesting post which is probably dead on historically/statistically with prospects not dominating college by their Sophmore season... This could be alarming.. yes...

But, Kreider is mentioned to have the unique package of size/skating ability and skills that can translate well into the NHL. This could be the exception to the theory in regards to college players not dominating by their sophmore season thus not becoming a top 6 NHL forward.. We shall see..

Also.. his Sophmore season is not over yet.. plenty of games left. Kreider can get on a tear and possibly produce big time.
Agree it's at least alarming. Why the seeming regression since the 2nd half last year? I think With kreider as with many players one year they just put it together and go on a tear from there. There's no magic button someone hits that deactivates all his potential if he doesn't become a phenom by this year. EVeryone knows he came in his frosh season needing a lotta mental work. Should take more than 1 year to put it all together. I think he's going to just one season figure it out and go crazy from there. If he never does he'll be another speedy forward that never puts it together it happens.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I haven't seen him play much this year, but this notion that he has "no physical game whatsoever" is completely false.

He has ALWAYS been physical until now? Hard to believe. I've SEEN him play physical games. So I refuse to believe he's lost it all of a sudden. Maybe he's not being asked to do that over at BC this year.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes over there at BC. But my guess is that York wants him to do certain things and doesn't give a rats ass otherwise about Kreider's development. He's not a 4 year player like Atkinson.

Kreider exploded in the second half last year. Let's see what happens the rest of the season.

This is why the Rangers wanted him to sign and go Pro this year. Because they would have developed him right, their way. I trust our coaching staff One hundred million times more then York.

York has his own agendas. And Kreider obviously doesn't fit into the long term plans, because he's leaving BC after this season.

And another thing, if Kreider doesn't finish the season at a PPG pace, its absolutely ridiculous to say he's not going to amount to much. He's only 19 years old. He played for MENS World Championships at age 18. He was elite in the second half of BC's season, he lead the WJC USA team in goals. His track record speaks louder then an 11 game stretch from October to November at BC.

I don't give two ***** about BC.

Kreider is A LOT better then what is going on over there at BC.

He's going to be a heck of an NHL player.

People don't want to agree with that, its fine.

Show me another player with his size, strength, speed, shot, and character that doesn't make it.

This "physical" thing is really puzzling to me. This kid was known for his hard hits prior to this season. All of a sudden he's soft? I don't buy it. Something isn't right.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 12:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He's more then just a "speedy" player.

So wrong.

He's not one dimensional. And he isn't soft.

This is really bothering me.

Ask anyone who saw him play at Andover and last year. This kid is NOT soft. He hits and hits hard.

Why he's seemingly not all of a sudden is a mustery.

But something doesn't add up.

Old
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

**Mustery = mystery

Old
11-20-2010, 12:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

And another thing, tunnel vision? No playmaking? No intensity?

All of these allegations are the opposite of what he's always been.

Ontop of what I've seen with my own eyes:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=442467

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...hillips-phenom

http://www.bodybyboyle.com/news_athlete?show=101

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.9.html

Again. Something doesn't add up.

And I refuse to believe he all of a sudden lost everything that made him what he is in a span of 11 games.

Old
11-20-2010, 01:16 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And another thing, tunnel vision? No playmaking? No intensity?

All of these allegations are the opposite of what he's always been.

Ontop of what I've seen with my own eyes:

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=442467

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x...hillips-phenom

http://www.bodybyboyle.com/news_athlete?show=101

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.9.html

Again. Something doesn't add up.

And I refuse to believe he all of a sudden lost everything that made him what he is in a span of 11 games.
All of them were great posts.. Appreciate it man...

You are right.. Let's see how Kreider does the rest of the year in college and the WJC.

Old
11-20-2010, 04:24 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Kreider is the "jewel" of this organization's prospect list... Was a player like Stempniak ever considered the "jewel" of their organization prospect list?

Kreider has probably the best combination of size/skating ability and skills for all of the prospects outside of the NHL right now. It would be nice to see him dominate college hockey which he has the ability to do so he can silence the doubters.
He's our jewel by default. Get over it. He's okay, but if you could have a dispersal draft of all non-NHL talent I'd lay money he wouldn't crack the top 25.

More I thought about it, Stempniak is a good comparison. Stemp is a pretty damn good player too.

The best size/skating thing is lol.

Quote:
Ask anyone who saw him play at Andover and last year. This kid is NOT soft. He hits and hits hard.
This is dumb for a variety of reasons, but not to be insulting, I'll name two. One, he was 6'2 200+ playing against 14 year olds. I hope he steamrolled some kids. Two, who watched Andover? lol. Too many appeals to emotion, he's unfinished, and I'd be happy if he turned out to be bigger, less physical Callahan type. You guys should be too.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Deathstroke

Quote:
He's our jewel by default. Get over it. He's okay, but if you could have a dispersal draft of all non-NHL talent I'd lay money he wouldn't crack the top 25.

More I thought about it, Stempniak is a good comparison. Stemp is a pretty damn good player too.

This is dumb for a variety of reasons, but not to be insulting, I'll name two. One, he was 6'2 200+ playing against 14 year olds. I hope he steamrolled some kids. Two, who watched Andover? lol. Too many appeals to emotion, he's unfinished, and I'd be happy if he turned out to be bigger, less physical Callahan type. You guys should be too.

All off this based off seeing his twice?

lol okay man...

Fair point about him trucking 14 year old kids when he was in prep but trust me, hes not a soft player. He isn't going to go out of his way to obliterate players like TJ Oshie will but he isn't afraid to mix it up at all.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2010, 07:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

He's nothing like Callahan. His skills are above Callahan's. From his size and strength, to his passing and shooting. And his skating.

He wasn't over 200lbs in Andover. He went from about 190 in Andover to 217 lbs now. He worked his ass off over the summer and went from 207 at the end of the 2009-2010 season to 217 lbs. But Andover isn't typical HS. Its Prep. Those kids are serious athletes.

His vision and passing was evident at both the WJC and WC last year. He may never put up a ton of assists, but he's definitely an above average passer. And that requires vision. He played both Lacross and Hockey at Andover. Both require vision, anticipation, physical play, quick hands, and strength.

His physical tools and skills are all above average.

Professional scouts say his skating at an elite NHL level already, and he's only 19. So its not just fans saying it.

11 games don't break a career. And he's got 6 points. Its not like he hasn't done anything. And if he were on the top line at BC at even strength he would be putting up bigger numbers. Unfortunately at a school, you have to compete with politics and agendas. York plays his upperclassmen above anyone else. And Kreider isn't a 4 year player. Those two things are working against him.

If he were in Hartford he would be playing on the top line right now.

Btw, he was never overage at any level, so you saying things like "against 14 year olds" is off base. First off, 14 is Junior High, not High School. Second, again, in school there's politics, most of the kids he played against were Seniors and Juniors. And he was the same age.

However, in College, he's playing against older players. And he also played against NHL veterans at the MENS WC last year, as an 18 year old. And at the WJC he was two years younger then the oldest players who were 20. And it was his first WJC. And he lead the team in goals.

So, no, its not "dumb".

Old
11-20-2010, 07:59 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
All off this based off seeing his twice?

lol okay man...

Fair point about him trucking 14 year old kids when he was in prep but trust me, hes not a soft player. He isn't going to go out of his way to obliterate players like TJ Oshie will but he isn't afraid to mix it up at all.
Exactly. He doesn't run around head-hunting like Ovechkin. But when he catches people in open ice, he hits them hard.

He also gets in on the forecheck hard. And will grind for the puck.

So, I'm not sure where this non-physical thing is coming from.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Rust Heisenberg

tonight was the first game i've been to in the last 3. i missed both maine games unfortunately.

after seeing kreider play tonight i can say the following about him.

he has better vision than i saw earlier on in the season. he has better decision making than i saw earlier on in the season. i was able to also make note of how kreider played on the penalty kill and he did a very decent job, as he was able to score a short handed break away goal. his speed is amazing. on that breakaway he we only about a stride or 2 ahead of the defender and then he completely broke free by the end. unbelievable speed. i can't wait to see him fly in ranger blue.

his physical part of the game is as i said it was earlier on in the season. he shies away from hits. however, i noticed a few times in the 3rd period (i was behind muse 1st and 3rd period) that if there are little scrums he is not afraid to push and shove in those. there were a few big open ice hits during the game that i doubt were made by kreider, however i'm mentioning this because from where i was standing i couldn't notice the number.

however, i don't mind it much. can't wait for him to come up to the big leagues.

Old
12-05-2010, 02:04 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
tonight was the first game i've been to in the last 3. i missed both maine games unfortunately.

after seeing kreider play tonight i can say the following about him.

he has better vision than i saw earlier on in the season. he has better decision making than i saw earlier on in the season. i was able to also make note of how kreider played on the penalty kill and he did a very decent job, as he was able to score a short handed break away goal. his speed is amazing. on that breakaway he we only about a stride or 2 ahead of the defender and then he completely broke free by the end. unbelievable speed. i can't wait to see him fly in ranger blue.

his physical part of the game is as i said it was earlier on in the season. he shies away from hits. however, i noticed a few times in the 3rd period (i was behind muse 1st and 3rd period) that if there are little scrums he is not afraid to push and shove in those. there were a few big open ice hits during the game that i doubt were made by kreider, however i'm mentioning this because from where i was standing i couldn't notice the number.

however, i don't mind it much. can't wait for him to come up to the big leagues.
I think a big thing is he must learn to play against those who have size. Professional size. Pushing around and blasting past lower quality talent cannot compare with faster, smarter, and stronger pro players. Seeing him at the worlds was definitely encouraging but as a prospect, you hope and expect to see progress with each season. I'm ok with the slow start as long as his second half goes to a whole new level for him. If he ends this season worse than he ended last season, that'll be a bad sign.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:01 AM
NYR425

I am confused, you said if he ends this season worse then he ended last season. If I remember correctly he ended last season on a rol,l he had a huge scoring streak or something. I think 75% of his goals and points came in the final third of the season. He returned from the WJC with confidence and was a different player.I believe he has something like 10 points in 15 games so far playing as an underclassman on the 2nd line. You can not judge his season on just points playing for a York coached BC team.

NYR425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:26 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

A little OT but related to Kreider.

Does anyone know if the NHL Network will be showing the World Jr.s in Buffalo like they did in Vanccouver last year. Or was that just pre olympic hype?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote