HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards: "Something might happen to Subban.."

Old
11-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
if i remember a guy like Lucic were yapping a lot in his rookie year and no one said anything, he was just a good canadian kid... but now, Subban whose having an even bigger impact in the game than him is considered cocky???!!!
To be fair, he was yapping while beating up everyone he fought. I have a sneaking suspicion that PK could win some fights, but by no means do I want to find out if I'm right.

BTW, not sure if anyone follows the NBA but doesn't a lot of this stuff kind of sound like the weird quasi-racist comments that get made about certain players? "Jail ball" and the like?

I think the NHL, like a lot of society, has trouble dealing with black masculinity.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM
bib
#believe

I just hope this doesn't happen to PK

They want to anger him, they want him off his game.

Composure, composure, composure.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Harry Wong

I just don't understand why other teams hate PK so much. I've watched him almost every game the habs have played this year and other than the fact he can make other players look bad I can't see him doing anything dirty or over the line. Even Cherrry said early on that someone is going to get him. I think Richards is just trying to intimidate him. But you gotta think PK has had to face this kind of BS his whole career.

I'm also not convinced that with his overall athleticism that PK wouldn't be able to suprise some people with his puggilistic skills. Not that I want to risk injury but sometimes a player has to fight once or twice to establish himself. Maybe Richards would be a good place to start. Then like someone else said already call up Henry and play him against the Flyers and Leafs etc.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

More and more I see fire of the Rocket in Subban. I'm not kidding, the way he's hated by opponants, his super-skills, the way he's not afraid of anybody and could take on anybody given the chance. When Richards went after Andrei K, the way Subban just grabed Richards' jersey like he was an ant was so funny.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Jesus. I think I'm too young to remember that Worrell mugging, but it doesn't look good from a race perspective.

Just as a joke:

"After the 'get-tough' policy failed to stop the movement the diehards became desperate, and we waited to see what their next move would be. Almost immediately after the protest started we had begun to receive threatening telephone calls and letters. Sporadic in the beginning, they increased as time went on. By the middle of January, they had risen to thirty and forty a day."

From MLK's autobiography

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
To be fair, he was yapping while beating up everyone he fought. I have a sneaking suspicion that PK could win some fights, but by no means do I want to find out if I'm right.

BTW, not sure if anyone follows the NBA but doesn't a lot of this stuff kind of sound like the weird quasi-racist comments that get made about certain players? "Jail ball" and the like?

I think the NHL, like a lot of society, has trouble dealing with black masculinity.
+1 agreed

Hatred feeds from hatred with spurns more hatred. Players like Richards and Giroux want him to fight back; and as much as it would be gratifying to watch PK beat them down; it wouldn't help the cause.

Stay strong PK. I hope a call-up or 2 is made. Ryan White at least!

Old
11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
CanadienErrant*

Maybe PK has a big mouth !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Richards is an idiot for putting that out there. I'm sure a lot of players think like him because honestly, Subban is a **** disturber and I'm sure many players hate his guts throughout the league. However, if Richards ever intended to do something about that, the league will have to look at those comments and act accordingly.

However, I'll say this. I love Subban as much as every Habs fans and I'm ecstatic we have him. His confidence is going to do him more good than bad, but it might be in his best interest to tone down his instigating a bit. I know a lot of the time, players get frustrated because of his flashy plays, but I have no doubts PK also has a big mouth and uses it when he wants.

As we saw with the Campbell fiasco, the league is still pretty much this old boys country club and respect is a huge thing, among players as much as among the people at the top. What I'm scared will happen is that PK will be put in this "instigator" category with the likes of Avery, Ott, Savard and others that are known to **** **** up. Therefore, when something happens to him, he might not get the support he'd deserve from the league. This isn't the OHL or even the AHL where you stay 2-3 years and move on. He's probably going to spend 10+ years in this league and to stay healthy, he will have to impose respect. Being a 21 year old **** talking, trolling rookie might not be what he wants his reputation to be. I know it's in his nature and there's most probably nothing to be done about that, but I wouldn't be mad if he chilled out for a bit with the scrums and on-ice talk. Be the bigger man and just walk away instead of answering every comment and every slash. The game where he put his tongue out to some player was the best example. That kind of **** makes you look like a clown.
Nothing personal but this is hogwash if you ask me. If I were a vet on the Habs or a guy like Muller I'd say Don't change a damn thing PK. To me what you are saying is basically succumbing to bullying. I hope he just stays the exact same and keeps that fire going his entire career.

Last edited by Jigger77: 11-17-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:31 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Maybe PK has a big mouth !
Lapierre's is 50 times bigger

Old
11-17-2010, 11:33 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
I must say though that Richards made a big misstep divulging that to the media. He'll totally receive a stiffer sentence if he does something to PK.

PK vs. Avery would make for a fantastic trolling match.
ranger fan here...

hahahaha I was going to mention avery here...seemed like the right thing to do.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Lapierre's is 50 times bigger
PK is more subtle.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Habs

There must be something to this, because we hear players saying how disrespectful P.K is. However the irony in Richards saying is is awesome.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
twoism

if there's one thing Richards might have to learn the hard way .... you don't piss off black kids from scarborough

twoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
Richards is an idiot for putting that out there. I'm sure a lot of players think like him because honestly, Subban is a **** disturber and I'm sure many players hate his guts throughout the league. However, if Richards ever intended to do something about that, the league will have to look at those comments and act accordingly.

However, I'll say this. I love Subban as much as every Habs fans and I'm ecstatic we have him. His confidence is going to do him more good than bad, but it might be in his best interest to tone down his instigating a bit. I know a lot of the time, players get frustrated because of his flashy plays, but I have no doubts PK also has a big mouth and uses it when he wants.

As we saw with the Campbell fiasco, the league is still pretty much this old boys country club and respect is a huge thing, among players as much as among the people at the top. What I'm scared will happen is that PK will be put in this "instigator" category with the likes of Avery, Ott, Savard and others that are known to **** **** up. Therefore, when something happens to him, he might not get the support he'd deserve from the league. This isn't the OHL or even the AHL where you stay 2-3 years and move on. He's probably going to spend 10+ years in this league and to stay healthy, he will have to impose respect. Being a 21 year old **** talking, trolling rookie might not be what he wants his reputation to be. I know it's in his nature and there's most probably nothing to be done about that, but I wouldn't be mad if he chilled out for a bit with the scrums and on-ice talk. Be the bigger man and just walk away instead of answering every comment and every slash. The game where he put his tongue out to some player was the best example. That kind of **** makes you look like a clown.
Everybody's wanted a piece of Sean Avery for years and he's still walking. Sometimes (all the time) there's much more talk than walk. And I'm confident PK can take care of himself, just like the most hated guys in this league have for years. PK has a very high awareness on the ice so I doubt he gets run over a lot in his career and if he has to go through a couple fights throughout his career, so be it. If Lapierre can come out alive of one of these, anyone can. PK shouldn't change a thing IMO. He's going to become an amazing player and the agitating is part of his complete package.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
PK is more subtle.
So his big mouth is subtle?

Old
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
sheed36

I hope for the Habs sake that PK doesn't start dropping the gloves.. With Markov out the last thing the Habs need is for PK to break his hand or injure himself fighting..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
HomaridII

I can't believe nobody has put a microphone on PK during the game .. the results would be hillarious.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Lucius

I take back my earlier comments.

Now that I've seen Richards original quote in English, he's clearly upset at the WAY Subban plays. Apparently keeping the puck and spinning is not the way to earn respect in the NHL.

Antiquates old boys club crap, it sure sounds like to me.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I hope for the Habs sake that PK doesn't start dropping the gloves.. With Markov out the last thing the Habs need is for PK to break his hand or injure himself fighting..
PK's made of steel and win. He cannot be broken.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bib
#believe

Quoted from the article in the first post

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...ampaign=Sports

Quote:
Un homme marqué

La recrue du Canadien ignore pourquoi il est rapidement devenu un homme marqué.

«Je n'essaie même pas de les déranger tant que ça, je ne fais que jouer mon match, a candidement répondu Subban. Les gars sont compétitifs et moi aussi je veux gagner. Si l'adversaire m'interpelle, je vais répondre. Mais je ne saute pas sur la glace en demandant quoi que ce soit.

«J'essaie de démontrer du respect envers l'autre équipe, mais si je n'y arrive pas, je ne peux pas y faire grand-chose. C'était pareil dans le junior ou dans la Ligue américaine.

«Je ne sais pas, peut-être que les gars n'aiment pas mon apparence...» Subban a expliqué qu'il restait une certaine animosité à la suite des dernières séries éliminatoires.
translation:

Quote:
A marked man

Canadiens rookie does not know why he has quickly become a marked man.

"I do not even try to bother them that much, I'm just playing my game," answered candidly Subban. "Guys are competitive but I also want to win. If the opponent challenges me, I will respond. But I do not jump on the ice looking for anything.

"I try to show respect for the other team, but if that doesn't work, there's not much I can do. It was the same in the junior or the AHL.

"I don't know, maybe guys don't like my appearance ..." Subban said there was still some animosity following the playoffs.

irksome

Old
11-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Joe Cole

Richards... calling out a player....

Is this the same guy that dropped his gloves AFTER the refs were between them?

F him.

Big talking small fry.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro View Post
Oooh man I cant wait to see Subban get KOd by Richards. Lets be real Habs fans... Subban doesnt stand a chance.

The guy got his lunch fed to him by Brandon freaking Dubinsky. I don't know where this myth came from that Richards was some sort of amazing middleweight fighter but it's pretty hilarious.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
ComeAtMeBro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

The guy got his lunch fed to him by Brandon freaking Dubinsky. I don't know where this myth came from that Richards was some sort of amazing middleweight fighter but it's pretty hilarious.
He beat Ovechkin, Bouchard, Cooke im sure I could find more if I wanted too

ComeAtMeBro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Oooh man I cant wait to see Subban get KOd by Richards. Lets be real Habs fans... Subban doesnt stand a chance.
Richards turtles last night - he had his chance to drop them, but didn't - know why? He's not completely stupid. He picks his spots, and last night wasn't one of them.

He couldn't take down matt cooke!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:16 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
He beat Ovechkin, Bouchard, Cooke im sure I could find more if I wanted too
Wow, three of the most feared pugilists in the league for sure!

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote