HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards: "Something might happen to Subban.."

Old
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Hahaha! Mike Richards the gentleman! Never read such BS!

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
The only veterans who's respect PK should worry about earning are the ones who play for the Habs. Who cares if Mike Richards and Chris Pronger have delicate feelings.
This.

Richards with his "You can't just come in here as a rookie and play like that" comment is just hilarious. So Subban should bow down to the great Richards who's all but 4 years older. Damn PK, show respect to your elders buddy

Richards needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and ****.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Richards is obviously talking about the way PK goes and shoots his mouth off to players that were playing in the league when he was in diapers. Its called respect. You get it by giving it.
Same can be said for Richards and countless and countless of other players around this league. Talking is part of the game. Just ask Lapierre. And yet, I don't see any threads on him. Why? Well, because he's an inconsistent factor in games. You see, guys don't mind players who mouth off. But when they mouth off, & dominate you single-handedly, that's when they start to take offense.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Intimidation, or being a cocky player, or playing hard. It has to do with having zero respect for the older players in the league when he is only 20 games into his career.
Believe me, you don't reach the level PK has at his age without having respect for those who have come before you.

Quote:
Its the same principle if you are hired into a company and in the first couple weeks you go telling all the employees who have been doing the job for 10-15 years how much they are doing it wrong etc. You arent going to make friends.
wtf are you talking about. btw, PK isn't telling anybody how to be better, he's SHOWING them.

Quote:
Believe it or not, you can play on the edge, tough etc and still garner respect from around the league. The fact that two players have spoken publicly about him tells you he sure as hell aint getting any from the league until he shuts his mouth and earns it. And he will feel the downsides of it when he plays with some of these players in years to come. being the odd man out in the locker room etc.
The fact that these 2 players have spoken so outwardly in the manner they have says a lot more about them as people than it does Subban. And if this thread is proof of anything, it's this: for each finger that is pointed in one direction, there'll be 10 pointing straight back!
PK has remained nothing but professional and composed in his interviews. Btw, Pk earned his "stripes" a long time ago. The fact that he's playing at the level that he is right now, being born in 1989, amidst all the racist tendencies that has existed in this league since inception. By my count, Richards should be bowing down to PK.

Quote:
Hockey is a gentlemans club
lol! + baaarffff
Pronger missed that memo. I'm guessing Colon sent it

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Treal

I can't believe how offended people get by a little trash talk. Dirty hits are debatable but trash talking is a definite No-No.

If I'm Subban, I wouldn't worry about it. 4 years later, Maxim Lapierre is still waiting to get "His".

Treal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Mod edit:

Quote:
Richards is obviously talking about the way PK goes and shoots his mouth off to players that were playing in the league when he was in diapers. Its called respect. You get it by giving it.

Richards was born 4 years earlier than PK. I'm pretty sure Richards didn't enter the NHL at 5 years of age. Again -

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-17-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Removed 1st quoted part of quoted post and response.
Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Mod edit:

It has nothing to do with Intimidation, or being a cocky player, or playing hard. It has to do with having zero respect for the older players in the league when he is only 20 games into his career.

Its the same principle if you are hired into a company and in the first couple weeks you go telling all the employees who have been doing the job for 10-15 years how much they are doing it wrong etc. You arent going to make friends.

Believe it or not, you can play on the edge, tough etc and still garner respect from around the league. The fact that two players have spoken publicly about him tells you he sure as hell aint getting any from the league until he shuts his mouth and earns it. And he will feel the downsides of it when he plays with some of these players in years to come. being the odd man out in the locker room etc.

Hockey is a gentlemans club, you can't just go parading into the club as a new guy, gotta earn your stripes or like Richards said, someone will tear a strip off him....
I doubt Subban is out there challenging guys and calling guys out on the ice. He plays with an edge and I think that's what rubbed Michards the wrong way...maybe he thought Subban should have been scared of him.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-17-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

Richards needs to take a long hard look in the mirror and ****.
For real. I can understand if Wayne Gretzky said Subban needs to stop being cocky, but Mike Richards is really in no position to be lecturing people about on-ice etiquette. Maybe someone should ask David Booth what he thinks of Richards' comments, I'm sure hell talk about how much respect Mike Richards has for his fellow players.

Last edited by Claimed Off Waivers: 11-17-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Hockey is a gentlemans club
Powe is such a gentleman. Avery too

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:56 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Next time Flyers fans complain about Crosby's whining, I won't miss them. :faceplam:

It shouldn't be too long, they complain every time.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
All kidding aside, he would be a hero if he played for us.
could be, but he wouldn't be the same player if he played here either.

there is not a doubt on my mind that he would be told to get a grip and stop whining in the papers ... montreal has 10x more class than the flyers' management in that regard. that kind of comment wouldn't fly here.

I mean how can he talk about respect after the booth hit... and how he laughed at him when booth tried to get back at him ? he's a great player, but if anyone is likely to suffer from a lack of respect around the league its him and not subban. Let alone he said that after a game with two dirty hits ; hartnel on gio , powe on halpern. And pronger trying to get the pucks ... I mean ... they're a joke.

I have no problem with subban and richards droping the gloves... but you just know its going to be done in a cheap way by the flyers.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Quote:
Mod edit:

Hockey is a gentlemans club, you can't just go parading into the club as a new guy, gotta earn your stripes or like Richards said, someone will tear a strip off him....
You expect Subban to go around, get hit, slashed and not respond? Is that what you mean?

He can be as cocky as he wants, as long as he doesn't play dirty (unlike half of your team).

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-17-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post.
kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
that's not what 'come at me bro' is from, brah. And if you're talking about 'vietnam tom' beating the **** out of the black 'kid', the 'kid' was actually 30 or 40 years old, it turns out, and the white guy wasn't a racist.

Just saw the picture of vietnam tom, but yeah my comment about him not being a racist stands.
Where I'm from (the most segregated city in America by some rubrics), if you say "Shine my shoes, boy," quickly followed by "I'm not a racist," you end up still being pretty much a racist. He's not a racist because he beat the guy in the fight, it's that he provoked the fight by making comments like that.

So my comment about "Vietnam Tom" stands. The video is a guy who gets famous for making racial comments and then "standing up" to a black guy who responded by breaking his face open. You might think it's some sort of racial justice, but just choose to ignore the racial comments doesn't make it not racist.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
OneSharpMarble

The flyers deserve about as much respect as they show others in this league and that is NONE. Everytime you play these guys the cowards are nothing but elbows and cheapshots while whining about not getting respect.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
bib
#believe

oh, hey. whadaya know...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=830990

Last edited by bib: 11-17-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old
11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Habmaster

Mike Bichards

Habmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
coolasprICE

I want to give a big KUDOS to the HABS MODS for allowing freedom of speech and discussion for all fans, regardless of rooting interest... Apparently on other boards, the mere existence of "foreigners" is enough grounds to accuse such posters of trolling (how ridiculous).

Class is class

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Mod edit:

Kinda like a country club? Please...!

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

I wonder what the motive is for Mike Richards in saying this? Subban obviously got under his skin and irritated him. So, what is the reasoning behind the comments?

A) Is he warning Subban to watch out because Richards is concerned for his well being?

B) Is he letting the fans and the media know who this Subban character is and what his attitude is like?

C) Is this an open (hint hint) message to the 28 other teams out there for a player to "get him"?

D) Just making conversation?

I go with C. I mean seriously? What else besides a verbal invite to other players around the league could be the motive? This seems very much like a bounty without a financial reward.

Flyers fans can (and likely will) complain all they want about my theory. But if I'm wrong I'd like to know the true reasoning behind it and I'd like to hear a theory or idea that makes sense beyond it being a bounty.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I want to give a big KUDOS to the HABS MODS for allowing freedom of speech and discussion for all fans, regardless of rooting interest... Apparently on other boards, the mere existence of "foreigners" is enough grounds to accuse such posters of trolling (how ridiculous).

Class is class
+1

good job mods, really tough subject but you guys have been great

Old
11-17-2010, 01:39 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

This just shows that Richards wished Subban was on his side. If Subban has that much of an effect on a guy like him, imagine in 3-4 years... Subban is prolly the most loved guy in the lockeroom just for that reason.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:49 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

i guess you earn respect with blind side hits to players, hit from behinds and cheap shots after the whistle. If that is the case then Richards is a well respected player

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:01 PM
bib
#believe

Richards: "...hopefully someone on their team addresses it because, um, I'm not saying I'm going to do it but something might happen."

How's this for addressing it big Mike?

Quote:
A lack of brotherly love
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|MTL|home

“P.K. isn’t too young to do everything it takes to win,” said Maxim Lapierre. “He sometimes throws the opposition off with a nice play or a spin-o-rama or even just by smiling. I think that’s ok. I’m just happy to know that I’m not the only the player on this team that opponents don’t like.”

“Does Sidney Crosby bother certain players? He probably does,” said head coach Jacques Martin. “Playing on the edge is what makes P.K. such a good player and the same applies to Richards."

Hal Gill is firmly in the camp of those who want Subban to keep being Subban.

“The way he plays the game is fun and exciting and obviously the fans love it. If the other team doesn’t like it, that’s just part of the game. I don’t like it when a guy scores on me and whoops it up, but you just deal with it,” explained Gill. “He gets under people’s skin and forces them to make bad decisions. That’s what he does well. I don’t expect him to change what he does. He talks out there and gets excited. The bottom line is he plays well when he’s feeling confident and that’s how he’s most comfortable.”

Old
11-17-2010, 02:17 PM
PricePkPatch

thanks for the link. Awesome read.

I love Subban. I don't want him to change, only to mature and become even more dnagerous.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

All of this focus on PK really made people either forget or not notice how Plekanec completely dissed Briere by imitating his trademark fist pump move after he scored.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Crossbar Ping

Spoiled overachieving goons? hahaha

More like a team that is 9-0-1 in last 10 and is due for a loss that EVERYONE expected, and with the emotion mtl was going to bring, on a philli back to back, give me a break.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote