HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2011, 07:22 AM
  #276
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq
 
Lixxiq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augsburg, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 391
vCash: 500
No one seeing Christian Thomas making the team right away?

Lixxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:32 AM
  #277
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
"“He would be a very serviceable, very effective No. 5 or 6 guy who’d give you 20 honest minutes every night,” said a prominent player agent not affiliated with Redden. "

Could we hope that he break his contract, and The Rangers who are in a need of a veteran D man,resign him to a much smaller cap hit?
Would something like that even be allowed?
Redden blows and whoever said that clearly hasn't watched him play. No shot he breaks his co tract and the rangers resign him not to mention were or thin on defense at all.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
  #278
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Redden blows and whoever said that clearly hasn't watched him play. No shot he breaks his co tract and the rangers resign him not to mention were or thin on defense at all.
There's plenty of D depth available... not as much as we had at the beginnings of the season (McD and Sauer graduated) but depth is easy to obtain.

We have, going into next season:

Staal
Girardi
McDonagh
Sauer
Gilroy (assuming he is offered a contract)
Del Zotto
Redden (if hell broke loose and he came back up)
Kundratek
Valentenko

That's plenty already in the system. Then you look at the FA class and see...

McCabe (who could come back)
Kaberle (if he does not re-sign with Boston)
Pitkanen
Bieksa
Salo
Wisniewski
Ehrhoff

Those are just some of the more expensive ones. I guarantee that Sather, as every GM should and will do, dig through the lower end, cheaper guys to find depth to stash in the AHL.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 10:33 AM
  #279
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
No one seeing Christian Thomas making the team right away?
I think it's doubtful. He's still got 1 year left of junior eligibility, so it's either the OHL or the NHL. He still needs to bulk up a bit before he's ready for the pros IMO.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
  #280
BrianBoyle
↓ Perfection ↓
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,581
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Redden blows and whoever said that clearly hasn't watched him play. No shot he breaks his co tract and the rangers resign him not to mention were or thin on defense at all.
I might be in the minority, but I would really like Redden as a bottom pairing defenseman at a lower cap hit. He doesn't "blow", he's just not nearly as good as he was prior to signing with the Rangers. He's still extremely serviceable, and adds a fantastic veteran presence to young defenseman.

Besides, I don't believe we'd be allowed to sign him if we breahed his contract, anyway.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 01:26 AM
  #281
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,874
vCash: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I might be in the minority, but I would really like Redden as a bottom pairing defenseman at a lower cap hit. He doesn't "blow", he's just not nearly as good as he was prior to signing with the Rangers. He's still extremely serviceable, and adds a fantastic veteran presence to young defenseman.

Besides, I don't believe we'd be allowed to sign him if we breahed his contract, anyway.
How would it even be possible to breach a contract and have someone play at the same time? But if we buy out his contract (which won't happen), I believe he wouldn't be allowed to play for us for one year. Can someone tell me if Redden breaches his contract, would he be allowed to sign elsewhere, with the Rangers permission?

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 05:43 AM
  #282
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
Why would Redden need the Rangers permission to sign with another team if the contract is terminated due to Redden breaching the contract? Rangers don't have to pay him the remaining $16.5M and could care less where Redden signs.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 10:54 AM
  #283
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,869
vCash: 500
So caps going up to how much again? likely


Last edited by Vitto79: 04-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:53 AM
  #284
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
The NHLPA has told agents that the union projects a salary cap of approximately $62.2 million next season if the players vote to trigger the 5-percent escalator, Slap Shots has learned.
Quote:
This is a preliminary number recently given to the agents in the union's "marketplace" assessment that could change slightly depending upon the revenue generated in the playoffs. Just as an example, there would be significantly less revenue generated by the Hurricanes than by the Rangers, assuming an equal number of postseason home games.

There is no guarantee that the union will vote to adopt the 5-percent inflator, given that doing so leads to increased escrow as a tradeoff for additional dollars in the system that benefits free agents and high payroll, powerful teams seeking to keep their rosters intact.

But as 2011-12 represents the final year of the CBA, the 7.5-percent bonus cushion that allows clubs to defer up to that amount in performance bonuses on entry level and over-35 contracts will disappear. According to several sources, that will be an important consideration that is expected to prompt to players to vote for the escalator.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...xNgZjPtHhkNFFI

The earlier number last season was between $57M-$58M and it ended up $59.4M.

Rangers made the playoffs. Their playoff revenue is higher than Carolina. Vancouver has a long playoff run. Canadian market. Root for the higher revenue big market teams. Philly,Chicago and Boston made the final 4 last season. Not Phoenix and Nashville. They looked to be playing each other in the first round which would have been a financial disaster. Go Hawks today.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2011, 05:55 AM
  #285
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
would u just give up that type of money? I would'nt. He'll either play in Hartford and collect the cash or get loaned to the KHL where a team will help pay the bill and he's off the books ala Huet this yr for Chicago
Redden wants to play in the NHL again. He made something close to $60M in his career. He was probably smart with his money. Don Meehan client. How much money do you need?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
  #286
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,079
vCash: 500
New NBC/Versus deal is slated to pay the NHL $200m per year for the next 10 years. The old deal paid the NHL $77m per year.

This won't affect the 2011-2012 cap, but will affect 2012-2013. The player's share of hockey related revenue is 55%.

200-77 = 123

123 x .55 = 67.65

67.65 / 30 = 2.255

So in addition to other factors that have driven the salary cap up each year, the cap should go up an additional $2.255m in 2012-2013.

Note: The current CBA expires on September 15, 2012 and the players don't have the option of extending the CBA this time, so the playing field may change entirely.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
  #287
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,869
vCash: 500
i'm going with this. Moving EC and Boogie out ,All UFA's , Sign Richards, RFA's , let UFAs walk. Drury buy out

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Chris Drury ($3.333m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.700m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Pavel Valentenko ($0.800m)
/ Matt Gilroy ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,495,500; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $904,500

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
  #288
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i'm going with this. Moving EC and Boogie out ,All UFA's , Sign Richards, RFA's , let UFAs walk. Drury buy out

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.500m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.000m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
/ Chris Drury ($3.333m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.700m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Pavel Valentenko ($0.800m)
/ Matt Gilroy ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,495,500; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $904,500
I like this line-up but I don't think you are going to get Dubi and Cally combined for $7m

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:50 PM
  #289
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I like this line-up but I don't think you are going to get Dubi and Cally combined for $7m
We're probably looking at a combined of 8-8.5 I think.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
  #290
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
We're probably looking at a combined of 8-8.5 I think.
Yeah, I think about $10m should get the packline complete, then you have to add Boyle

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 06:56 PM
  #291
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Yeah, I think about $10m should get the packline complete, then you have to add Boyle
I think Boyle will get 1.9-2.2, Anisimov probably 2.5-7.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 07:19 PM
  #292
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Dubinsky <$4
Callahan <$4
Boyle <$2
Anisimov <$2
Sauer <$2

I can't see any of them getting more than those numbers.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:28 AM
  #293
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
THE CAP: Preliminary projection for the 2011-12 cap is approximately $62.2 million. Using that number, the summer cap, in place from July 1 through the end of training camp, would be approximately $68.4 million. The summer cap includes all one-way contracts within the organization, plus two-way contracts pro-rated by the number of days spent on the 2010-11 NHL roster.

The Rangers' summer cap number is approximately $47.6 million, but this calculation does not include a cent for restricted free agents Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Brian Boyle, Michael Sauer, Artem Anisimov and Matt Gilroy. Figure that signing all six would amount to about another $12 million. This would bring the Blueshirts to about $59.6 million, leaving about $9 million of space with which to work.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Not sure where Brooks got the $47.6M. He didn't include Grachev,Newbury and Talbot. Brooks didn't include any of the other group II's who spent some time in the NHL this season. Johnson,Weise and Dupont. Weise will get a QO. Johnson has a $140,000 cap hold based on 40 NHL days on the roster.

The QO's for the players he mentioned count in the summer. Just add $2.3M for Callhan. When he signs,include the remaining amount

It's going to cost more than $12M to re-sign those 6 players. More like $13-$14M plus.

$4M each for Dubinsky and Callahan

$1.5-$1.75M for Boyle

$1.85M for AA

$1.5-$1.75M for Sauer

$1.25M for Gilroy

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
  #294
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,367
vCash: 500
I wonder if Redden is thinking about walking away from his contract for another shot at the NHL, when he would do it. Before July 1st so he has the entire summer to negotiate with teams?

Also if Drury is bought out, that would save an extra 3 or 4 million, right?

So if both things happened (which I think is wishful thinking) there is an extra close to 11 million in summer cap right there.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:36 AM
  #295
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Primetime Powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 8,407
vCash: 500
All the people complaining that Richards is going to get too high of a cap hit, what does the cap look to be in like 5 years. I understand that this thread is for next seasons cap, but if the cap goes up like it is supposed to, coupled with Drury's contract ending, a Richards contract should be no problem for the future. Correct?

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:52 AM
  #296
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
All the people complaining that Richards is going to get too high of a cap hit, what does the cap look to be in like 5 years. I understand that this thread is for next seasons cap, but if the cap goes up like it is supposed to, coupled with Drury's contract ending, a Richards contract should be no problem for the future. Correct?
Note: I am in favor of signing Richards, and probably at a higher cap hit than most people.

Even if the salary cap does not go up "as expected," it should still be significantly higher. When the cap was implemented in 2005-2006, it was set at a mere $39m. It jumped to 45m in 2005-2006, and 50.6m in 2006-2007. Today (2010-2011), it sits at $59.4m, and is expected to go up 62.4m in 2011-2012. In six years and one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, the salary cap still increase from $39m to 59.4m. That's a $20m increase.

There may be a potential concern with the CBA expiring that the league may alter the revenue formula so that the players get a smaller piece of the pie for their salaries (which determines the cap). Personally, I don't think that's too likely.

A ~$7.5m cap hit today is likely to be a much smaller piece of the team's total cap five years from now.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 07:57 AM
  #297
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Primetime Powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 8,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Note: I am in favor of signing Richards, and probably at a higher cap hit than most people.

Even if the salary cap does not go up "as expected," it should still be significantly higher. When the cap was implemented in 2005-2006, it was set at a mere $39m. It jumped to 45m in 2005-2006, and 50.6m in 2006-2007. Today (2010-2011), it sits at $59.4m, and is expected to go up 62.4m in 2011-2012. In six years and one of the worst recessions in U.S. history, the salary cap still increase from $39m to 59.4m. That's a $20m increase.

There may be a potential concern with the CBA expiring that the league may alter the revenue formula so that the players get a smaller piece of the pie for their salaries (which determines the cap). Personally, I don't think that's too likely.

A ~$7.5m cap hit today is likely to be a much smaller piece of the team's total cap five years from now.
that is exactly my train of thought. Signing Richards will not handicap us at all in the future IMO

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
  #298
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
The CBA expires after this coming season. The NHL players receive 57% of the gross right now. Some NHL teams want to see that % lowered because they think the cap is too high. The cap will be in the $62-$63M range in 11-12 but it will probably be lower in the new CBA which begins with 12-13. That's the issue with giving $7.5M when it might be a cap<$60M.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
  #299
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,184
vCash: 50
If they lower the cap, I imagine something will be done about it. Amnesty buyout or whatever.

Of course, if we keep Drury on the payroll next year, that will more than make up the likely difference.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2011, 09:28 AM
  #300
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,989
vCash: 500
Compliance buyouts will probably be part of the next CBA. Its a little tricky because the CBA expires in the middle of September 2012. If both sides wait until the last minute to get a new CBA,there won't be enough time for compliance buyouts and trades when the new system begins after training camps open. The other sports CBAs expire in the off season while the NHL will see this next summers signing period played out under the current CBA which expires as soon as camps open or are about to open. Both sides need to ratify the CBA before it begins.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.