HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The 5% bump is applied to the midpoint which results in a higher upper limit. The upper limit would not be $64M without the 5% bump. The midpoint plus 5% is the new midpoint. Add $8M and there is the upper limit. There is a $16M gap between the upper limit and lower limit(floor).
You must be Sather's treasurer.

Thanks for the explanation, but why is the 5% bump implemented?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This is probably why Richards wouldn't waive his NTC. He knows he'll get a bigger chunk of change if he waits for the cap to go up before signing his new deal.
doubt it. daly said months ago that the cap would be 63.5 mil so most people expected it to be in this range.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Arthur Staple

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lion-1.2970623

It's not really $77M. The Rangers can't use Drury's $7.05M until he is put on LTIR which isn't until the last day of training camp/day before NHL season begins. The Rangers can spend $71.05M next season which includes the $7.05M.
So what does this mean as far as signing our RFAs and perhaps Richards over the summer when we will have both Drury's and Redden's salaries counting against the cap? I know that a team can exceed it by 10%...but if Redden is essentially the 10% how can we still carry Drury and afford everyone else?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Good news and Bad news.

Good News is signing Brad Richards is more likely
Bad News Brad Richards is going to get paid alot of money.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So what does this mean as far as signing our RFAs and perhaps Richards over the summer when we will have both Drury's and Redden's salaries counting against the cap? I know that a team can exceed it by 10%...but if Redden is essentially the 10% how can we still carry Drury and afford everyone else?
With Drury's cap number, we're at around $40MM for next year. Redden's cap number pushes it up to $47MM. The cap will be around $64MM, meaning a summer cap of $70MM. Now, let's figure what we have to get done.

I'll go with high-end predictions for the RFAs.

Dubinsky: $4.5MM
Callahan: $4.5MM
Sauer: $1.5MM
Anisimov: $2.5MM
Boyle: $2MM

That's $15MM additional, puts us at $62MM. Can you fit Richards with $8MM cap room? Probably, and that's with my high dollar projections for the UFA contracts. Those numbers could all be lower, giving us around $10MM or even more to work with.

Then, when the season starts, Redden's number disappears again (covering us on our 10% summer overage) and Drury likely heads to LTIR, where we can add some or all of his salary into additional signings.

There's enough money for us to re-sign all of our guys and realistically go after Richards.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
With Drury's cap number, we're at around $40MM for next year. Redden's cap number pushes it up to $47MM. The cap will be around $64MM, meaning a summer cap of $70MM. Now, let's figure what we have to get done.

That's $15MM additional, puts us at $62MM. Can you fit Richards with $8MM cap room? Probably, and that's with my high dollar projections for the UFA contracts. Those numbers could all be lower, giving us around $10MM or even more to work with.

Then, when the season starts, Redden's number disappears again (covering us on our 10% summer overage) and Drury likely heads to LTIR, where we can add some or all of his salary into additional signings.

There's enough money for us to re-sign all of our guys and realistically go after Richards.
Thanks for putting it into perspective.

A concise and simple explanation of a possible way to sign Richards.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Thanks for putting it into perspective.

A concise and simple explanation of a possible way to sign Richards.
No problem.

What it boils down to is this: if the Rangers decide that they really want Brad Richards, they can sign him. No ifs, ands or buts. They have enough room to do it.

I'm on the fence about Richards (leaning against it), but it's important to realize there's a high probability that we try to bring him on board.

Old
06-20-2011, 11:33 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Actually, I suspect Drury's $ will be used to recall players who can be assigned to Hartford without waivers and won't count against the season opening cap until they are recalled. That's the easiest way to deal with the issue. Think MDZ, Erixon, MZA, Hagelin and VTank among others.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
No problem.

What it boils down to is this: if the Rangers decide that they really want Brad Richards, they can sign him. No ifs, ands or buts. They have enough room to do it.

I'm on the fence about Richards (leaning against it), but it's important to realize there's a high probability that we try to bring him on board.
I think I will love it for 3 yrs then complain for another 3 but I am steal leaning towards embracing it and taking a run at the cup soon. IF everything goes right they could make noise in the playoffs

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Thanks for the breakdown. If we can't fit Richards with 8M in cap room we shouldn't even be considering him. Personally I don't think we should go more than 7M, but at the end of the day what's a million dollars. lol Bottom line it looks like we're in pretty good shape...and we actually caught a break that we can't buy Drury out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:51 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Actually, I suspect Drury's $ will be used to recall players who can be assigned to Hartford without waivers and won't count against the season opening cap until they are recalled. That's the easiest way to deal with the issue. Think MDZ, Erixon, MZA, Hagelin and VTank among others.
yeah i think that'll be part of the plan. part of those salaries count against the summer cap, but the remainder and guys like erixon will be added after drury goes on ltir

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 11:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yep, that makes sense.

Old
06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
TrollololBoyle

People are still believing Carter to Columbus rumors via twitter...

- They basically locked him up for the rest of his career, a year ago.
- The cap just went up $4 million or so, they can afford him.

I am beginning to hate twitter. It's so easy to spot fakes, yet people still believe crap.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:54 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Thought I'd play with the cap a little to see how my theory (above) might work
Quote:
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brad Richards ($7.375m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.600m) /
Ruslan Fedetenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.400m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Veteran Puckmover ($4.000m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
/ Matt Gilroy ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,962,500; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $37,500
Drury goes on LTIR and Rangers immediately recall McDonagh, Erixon, MDZ and MZA to take his cap place.

The real story here is that a) the Rangers can keep Wolski if they choose and b) may still have room to add a puck moving defenseman.

Summer tagging might be an issue but that could be remedied by having some players sign thewir contract on the first day camp opens (after Redden is waived)

Does this look legal to everyone?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 03:22 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Thought I'd play with the cap a little to see how my theory (above) might work

Drury goes on LTIR and Rangers immediately recall McDonagh, Erixon, MDZ and MZA to take his cap place.

The real story here is that a) the Rangers can keep Wolski if they choose and b) may still have room to add a puck moving defenseman.

Summer tagging might be an issue but that could be remedied by having some players sign thewir contract on the first day camp opens (after Redden is waived)

Does this look legal to everyone?
The summer cap would be a major issue. Drury cannot be put on LTIR until the END of training camp. Same goes for the waiving of Redden.

No RFA in their right mind will sign their contract until the end of training camp for insurance reasons and there play will be slower to get in the swing of things bcuz they are starting to skate with the team 2 weeks later.

Only person who could possibly sign at the end of training camp in your scenario is Feds, but Sather has stated he wants to lock him up before July 1st.

That and don't bring back Gilroy. You are also forgetting the summer cap hits for McD, MDZ, MZA, Grachev etc. Its not their full salaries, but a portion of them.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

Also, Erixon would not count against the Summer cap at all because he didn't play in the NHL last year. That's another 1.75 million saved.

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 07:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The 5% bump is implemented to increase the cap. More money spent on player salaries.

Quote:
Under the CBA, players are currently entitled to 57% of HRR. Since the salary cap is established prior to the season, a portion of each player’s paycheck is withheld in escrow each year to cover any overspending on player salaries. At the end of the year, the withheld money is then either returned to the players or kept by the league in order to meet the 57% target.
http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/...aces-decision/

The players saw their escrow deductions decrease with each quarter of the season. In previous years,the players had some of the escrow money returned to them at the end of the season. Each playoff game played. The Canadian dollar. Vancouver played 14 home playoff games. Business was good. $3B business. The PA voted for the 5% bump. NHL TV contract with NBC starts next season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Canucks AGM Laurence Gillman is already thinking of ways to use Mason Raymond's $2.5M cap hit on LTIR. When Raymond is ready to return,some other Canuck get hurt and placed LTIR.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Synergy27

I'm still having a hard time understanding how the Drury situation can help with anything other than in season acquisitions...

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I'm still having a hard time understanding how the Drury situation can help with anything other than in season acquisitions...
It also helps if the Rangers have a couple of young players make the team who were not on the team last season. Erixon's cap hit can take a bite out of Drury's. So could Thomas, or Hagelin.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I think it's really more that it ends up not hurting anything this year.

They should have cap space during the summer to do most everything they want to do, and since Drury won't be returning from LTIR, during the season it's effectively like having an extra $7 mill in cap space for the year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

They should have cap space during the summer to do most everything they want to do, and since Drury won't be returning from LTIR, during the season it's effectively like having an extra $7 mill in cap space for the year
Yep, basically the extra 7 million will allow guys like Erixon and possibly Hagelin to come up at no extra cost and gives us flexibility at the deadline.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

What if the team had other UFA players in mind that they wanted to sign ( outside of Richards)...the Drury summer cap hit doesn't help at all.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
What if the team had other UFA players in mind that they wanted to sign ( outside of Richards)...the Drury summer cap hit doesn't help at all.
True!

Then they'll buy out Wolski

The savings from buying out Drury isn't so huge that they can't find ways to do similar things without buying him out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2011, 01:05 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
correct, but best case before was that we bought him out adding 3.7m n space...we don't have that now.

but, we also dont have his cap hit 2 years from now, and i'm still hoping Sather trades him...seems like i wouldn't cost Drury anything, plus he wouldnt have to actually do anything....that would free up that much more money.

so it's not really a good thing as it stands, but it's not that bad either...it costs us a shot at cole or jokinen or somebody like that...but it doesnt cos us our RFAs or Richards.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote