HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

$64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12

Old
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Was that rumor true about the cap going up about $6M for next year because of some TV deal? If so, does anyone know what channel that is?
Potentially ESPN. But that would affect not next year's cap, but the year-after-that's cap. But then again, the CBA expires after next year, so who knows.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:38 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Preliminary projections assume the Salary Cap will go up at least another $2 million in the 2011-12 season from the current level of $59.4 million. This of course is under the assumption that the NHL Players' Association requests a five per cent inflator as is their right.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344107

Big assumption.

2010-11 salary cap would have gone up $150,000 instead of $2.6 million without the 5% NHLPA bump.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
so 61.5 mil is a ballpark.

We'll need it for Dubinsky and Callahan at this point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
@DarrenDreger Think it's a big mistake to assume that PA will exercise 5-percent inflator in final year of CBA with lockout on horizon.
http://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/s...30000967204864

LOCKOUT

Old
12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Meh, not that I'm advocating any of these moves, but I was bored and did this:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.250m) / Brad Richards ($7.200m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.200m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.300m) / Brian Boyle ($1.125m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Trevor Daley ($2.900m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Tomas Kundratek ($0.816m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) /Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,333,334; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,391,666

Rozsival goes in the Richards trade, buyout Drury, dump Christensen and Gilroy. Bring up MZA and Kundratek. Sign Konopka.

Old
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Trevgor Daley at almost 3 mil? Ewwwwwwww.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
terrrrrible

Thought I saw something during the Rangers game yesterday about the cap possibly going up $2mil for next season, or if it was just something that was going to be discussed at whatever meetings are this week.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 03:49 PM
ecemleafs

during the isles game i think, the msg broadcast said the cap was goin up 2m.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 05:53 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
I have insomnia...

...in Thailand

So I played around and came up with this (to appease all of the pro Richards crowd for a while...):

2010/2011
Waive
Todd White (done and done) and now send him to Hartford

Trade
Frolov, Gilroy, McD, Horak, Kennedy, 1st 2011, 3rd 2011 for Brett Burns, Andrew Burnette, one so called AHL fodder and a 2nd 2012

Does Minnesota make this trade?
Probably not...

But if....

Burnette - Christ (Prospal) - Gaborik
Dubinsky - AA - Callahan
Drury - Stepan - Feds
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Boogey, (Christ)

Staal - Burns
Rozie - Girardi
MDZ - Sauer/Eminger

Hank
Marty

2011/2012

Cap goes up with 2 Million as speculated
  • Trade Rozie at the draft for an upgraded 1st round pick
  • Trade Christ for whatever (6th/7th rounder...)
  • Sign Brad Richards on a one-year "Hossa deal" for 6,5 million on July 1 (commited to resign for 5-6 years after New Year 2012 when Drury/Avery come off the books adding 9 million in space/yes - Drury would be replaced too.../)
  • Give our RFAs raises as per below
  • Let Feds, Eminger, Prospal, Brunette walk

FORWARDS
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.600m)
Chris Kreider ($1.850m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Evgeny Grachev ($0.816m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Tomas Kundratek or Pavel Valentenko ($0.816m) / Mike Sauer ($0.800m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $61,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,508,334; BONUSES: $2,387,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $279,166
Yes - it is a Very, very tight fit...but several teams are balancing here right now...Possibly doable - at first glance. Quite an intriguing team on paper. Speed, grit, youth, vets...
All looks well on paper.
*But - since we probably cannot use the bonus cushion.
FAIL. Ahhhh

I will now go straightly to the pool and consume vivid amounts of intoxicating liquids to try to cure my sleeping disorder instead of wasting time here.
Check out http://blog.bobborealis.com/

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Kreider is going to be on the team next year.

And Werek may be as well.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider is going to be on the team next year.

And Werek may be as well.
[citation needed]

Old
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The salary cap will be on the agenda at the BOG meeting today

Quote:
"There were very preliminary projections, league revenue forecast information," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said. "You build in a whole bunch of assumptions and variables and you try to give them a sense of where that might be."

A lot can change between now and next season, though, Daly cautioned.

"It depends on the variables," Daly added. "We use as much information as we have and we try and make reasonable projections. There are things like, whether the union wants to invoke a five-percent inflator, that comes into play; the value of the Canadian currency and where that goes for the rest of the year comes into play. Obviously the accuracy of the projections themselves -- what the clubs are experiencing in their revenues, what we're experiencing in our revenues -- they all come into play. I think for the most part, based on the information we have, they've been reasonable projections."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...t-bog-meetings

The NHL's 5% decision will determine whether or not the cap increases by as much as $3 million.

Say the PA votes to exercise their 5%,$62.4 million upper limit. $68.64 million summer cap. Redden's $6.5 million comes back on the books. All one way contracts count. Rangers summer cap is $62.14 million. $260,000 less than the upper limit.

$41.85 million in commitments.

FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Sean Avery ($1.937m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)

GOALTENDERS

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $41,850,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (13-man roster): $20,550,000

Gave Dubinsky and Callahan $4 million a piece. $2 million for AA. $1 Million a piece for Sauer and Boyle. Signed all 5 group II's. Ballpark numbers.

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($2.000m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Brian Boyle ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
/ Mike Sauer ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,850,000; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $8,550,000

What kind of contract will Chris Kreider get?

Old
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kreider should get ballpark in between McDonagh and MDZ's cap hit. So like 1.1 -1.2 million?

Old
12-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Ola

This aint working. Time to shake things up. Two trades that would make us a contender in the near future.

Trade 1.
Drury, Rozsival, Frolov, McD, and two 1st round picks for Kaberle and Komisarek.

//In terms of contracts, the A and O of any deal these days, Toronto trades 4 years of Komisarek, their 6th D on many nights, at 4.5m per, for 1 year of Drury. And Kaberle for Rozsival and Frolov. The picks and McD is in there to spice it up. Toronto gets a D who can provide what Komisarek is providing now, in a year or two, but much cheaper, in McD and Burke gets back som picks. After next year, Toronto opens up a lot of cap room when everyone they got is off the books.

I am sure Drury would waive his NMC to get to Toronto and to get out of NY.

Trade 2.
Kaberle and Anisimov for LeCavalier, Dom Moore, Randy Jones and a 2nd round pick.
//Its Stamkos team now. I know that Yzerman would love to have a D like Kaberle in Tampa. He have seen Lidström move the puck for Det for years, and while Kaberle aint Lidström -- he can move the puck. I can't see Tampa turning down this package.

Call Up/Demotion
Send down Gilroy and call up MZA.

Lineup
Unit 1
Prospal-LeCavalier-MZA//A strong experienced 1st line. In that role, MZA would be able to play his game, and would give this team a level of creativity we have not seen in a while. As MZA grows into his role, Prospal on the left wing, or whoever fills in for him, can be replaced by a more unexperienced player. LeCavalier would be awesome to have. Many talk about the kid like he is old, but he is only 31 y/o. He have 5-6 years of top notch hockey in him. One of the best PP-players in the league.
Staal-Girardi

Unit 2
Avery-Stepan-Gaborik//Behind a real 1st line center Stepan would get a lot more comfortable. Good mix on this line. They would be lethal going up against the "2nd best" the other team have.
MDZ-Komisarek//I can see this D-pair grow.

Unit 3
Dubinsky-D. Moore-Callahan//This line would have awesome energy. Would be one of the best 3rd lines in the league.
R. Jones-M. Sauer//Torts get his D-pairings, and a old pall in Randy J.

4th line
Prust-Boyle-Boogaard

PP1
Callahan-Stepan-Gaborik//Would be a awesome PP. LeCavalier can run a PP with the best of them. Cally brings the righthanded shot (a weakness on my roster above). Stepan would raise to the occasion as the playmaking center down low.
MDZ-LeCavalier

Overall:
Our top 3 lines would be very very strong. Our PP would be great. We would add some toughness on the blueline.

Our farm:
We would have a tremendously young team in the NHL. On LW we have Grachev in the farm, on RW we have Kreider. We wouldn't have much on the blueline, untill McI arrives -- but our top 4 in the NHL have like a avg age of less then 25... I don't think we would miss the two firstrounders much. With Gabby and Hank in their prime, with Staal, Dubi, Cally and co establishing themselfs, our time isn't to contend in 6-7 years, its in 2-5 years.

Cap
We loose draftpicks and gain capspace.

Last edited by Ola: 12-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

You have some crazy schemes, Ola, i'm telling you.

Its funny how Vinny L. never seems to be mentioned in trade talks anymore. It wouldnt surprise me at all, after Stamkos signs his new (and incredibly lucrative) contract that they try to move Vinny.

Now if I remember correctly, Torts was not Vinny's biggest fan in Tampa (knows a guy who knew a guy who said something about Tort's problem with French Canadians and their work ethic, particularly in practice) But it wouldnt surprise me if we are unable to aquire Richards that slats looks at Vinny as a plan B.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This aint working. Time to shake things up. Two trades that would make us a contender in the near future.

Trade 1.
Drury, Rozsival, Frolov, McD, and two 1st round picks for Kaberle and Komisarek.

//In terms of contracts, the A and O of any deal these days, Toronto trades 4 years of Komisarek, their 6th D on many nights, at 4.5m per, for 1 year of Drury. And Kaberle for Rozsival and Frolov. The picks and McD is in there to spice it up. Toronto gets a D who can provide what Komisarek is providing now, in a year or two, but much cheaper, in McD and Burke gets back som picks. After next year, Toronto opens up a lot of cap room when everyone they got is off the books.

Trade 2.
Kaberle and Anisimov for LeCavalier, Dom Moore, Randy Jones and a 2nd round pick.
//Its Stamkos team now. I know that Yzerman would love to have a D like Kaberle in Tampa. He have seen Lidström move the puck for Det for years, and while Kaberle aint Lidström -- he can move the puck. I can't see Tampa turning down this package.

Call Up/Demotion

Lineup
Unit 1
Prospal-LeCavalier-MZA//A strong experienced 1st line. In that role, MZA would be able to play his game, and would give this team a level of creativity we have not seen in a while. As MZA grows into his role, Prospal on the left wing, or whoever fills in for him, can be replaced by a more unexperienced player. LeCavalier would be awesome to have. Many talk about the kid like he is old, but he is only 31 y/o. He have 5-6 years of top notch hockey in him. One of the best PP-players in the league.
Staal-Girardi

Unit 2
Avery-Stepan-Gaborik//Behind a real 1st line center Stepan would get a lot more comfortable. Good mix on this line. They would be lethal going up against the "2nd best" the other team have.

Unit 3
Dubinsky-D. Moore-Callahan//This line would have awesome energy. Would be one of the best 3rd lines in the league.

4th line
Prust-Boyle-Boogaard

PP1
Callahan-Stepan-Gaborik//Would be a awesome PP. LeCavalier can run a PP with the best of them. Cally brings the righthanded shot (a weakness on my roster above). Stepan would raise to the occasion as the playmaking center down low.
MDZ-LeCavalier

Overall:
Our top 3 lines would be very very strong. Our PP would be great. We would add some toughness on the blueline.

Our farm:
We would have a tremendously young team in the NHL. On LW we have Grachev in the farm, on RW we have Kreider. We wouldn't have much on the blueline, untill McI arrives -- but our top 4 in the NHL have like a avg age of less then 25... I don't think we would miss the two firstrounders much. With Gabby and Hank in their prime, with Staal, Dubi, Cally and co establishing themselfs, our time isn't to contend in 6-7 years, its in 2-5 years.

Cap
so you want to trade our top defensive prospect, 2 first round draft picks, and AA who is having a solid season even considering his slump...for, in essence, Vinny Lecavelier and his horrible contract, and mike komisarek, and his horrible contract.

Sather, that you?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
so you want to trade our top defensive prospect, 2 first round draft picks, and AA who is having a solid season even considering his slump...for, in essence, Vinny Lecavelier and his horrible contract, and mike komisarek, and his horrible contract.

Sather, that you?
In fairness, Sather probably wouldn't make that trade either.

Sather only offers ridiculous contracts, he doesn't trade for them.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

brad richards will hit the open market this summer and he wont cost a single asset to get him. hes had way better numbers than vinny l, and unlike vinny l, has a good relationship with torts.

wanna talk about trading AA and Rozsival for Richards, im open to that....but olas proposal here is ludicrous.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
brad richards will hit the open market this summer and he wont cost a single asset to get him. hes had way better numbers than vinny l, and unlike vinny l, has a good relationship with torts.

wanna talk about trading AA and Rozsival for Richards, im open to that....but olas proposal here is ludicrous.
I agree.

And, unlike Vinny, Richards won the Conn Smythe.

Richards = no assets
Lecavalier = too many assets

Richards > Lecavalier in many ways.

Old
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree.

And, unlike Vinny, Richards won the Conn Smythe.

Richards = no assets
Lecavalier = too many assets

Richards > Lecavalier in many ways.
Richards is a mix of Drury and Gomez, probably in a positive way -- but still.

I remember when Brian Rolston were discussed, it was all stats and abilitys then too. Not many considered the unique role he had in Minny.

To win something, you don't need players that can do this and that, you need players that can line up against a player on the other team seven straight games, and win that battle.

With Richards, we need to be aware of what we are getting. What he can do is to deliver. In a huge majority of all play-off matchups we see these days though, its not even remotely about what side is "delivering", its only basically about winning the momentum battle. The better team wins. A simple formula is that a player like Richards don't make a team better, and makes a equal team win a thight game though.

Put Richards on Washington or Pittsburg and I would venture to bet on him winning the CS again, put him on a weaker team, and I would venture that he would disapear.

I personally, everything considered, think that LeCavalier fits better into what we have in NY. He would make the entire team better.

Old
12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

I remember when Brian Rolston were discussed, it was all stats and abilitys then too. Not many considered the unique role he had in Minny.

To win something, you don't need players that can do this and that, you need players that can line up against a player on the other team seven straight games, and win that battle.

With Richards, we need to be aware of what we are getting. What he can do is to deliver. In a huge majority of all play-off matchups we see these days though, its not even remotely about what side is "delivering", its only basically about winning the momentum battle. The better team wins. A simple formula is that a player like Richards don't make a team better, and makes a equal team win a thight game though.

Put Richards on Washington or Pittsburg and I would venture to bet on him winning the CS again, put him on a weaker team, and I would venture that he would disapear.

I personally, everything considered, think that LeCavalier fits better into what we have in NY. He would make the entire team better.
The Conn Smythe gets awarded to the most valuable player and best player in the playoffs. Richards won that, not Lecavalier.

Richards absolutely is a player that makes his team better.

He plays the point on the PP, he can play in any situation, he's a leader, and he produces.

But forgetting all that...

Lecavalier is an albatros because of his contract. Its one of the worst contracts in this sport's history. He's making 10 million dollars each of the next 6 years, including this year. And then 8 million after that. A 36 year old making 8 mil?

And despite his contract, he isn't even a top line player on his own team. Stamkos is their top line center. Lecavalier will be a 10 million dollar second line center for the next 6 years. And then he will be an 8 million dollar 2nd-3rd line center after that at age 36.

And ontop of that God awful contract, a team would have to give up a slew of young talent and top draft picks to trade for him.

Lecavalier is just about the last thing this organization needs.

Richards at 7 mil per year as a UFA is infinitely better then Lecavalier.

Richards>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lecavalier as far as the Rangers organization is concerned.

Old
12-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

Trade 1.

Trade 2.

Call Up/Demotion

Lineup
Unit 1
Staal-Girardi

Unit 2

Unit 3

4th line
Prust-Boyle-Boogaard

PP1
MDZ-LeCavalier

Overall:

Our farm:

Cap
The first trade is flat out disgusting! 2 First rounders????

Drury/Rosy/Frolov for Kaberle/Komisarek ...Why dump the Picks and McDonough?

For the second trade...How would more and his anti-tough guy attitude effect the room? Team has bonded together pretty good under under Prust and Boogey's watch. Why mess that up?

On LeCavalier, I like him. He could work here, but the cap hit for the lenght of his contract is atrocious.

At the end of the day you are trading away way too many assets to land an aging center who has a tremendous cap hit. Added a 4.5 million dollar defenseman that plays no better than Steve Eminger does.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

I'm really confused by this, Ola. How is he a mix of Drury and Gomez? He's a completely different animal from either of them. The only similarity between Richards and Drury is that neither stands out physically and that both rely on their heads to succeed, but their games are totally different. How is he like Gomez? Yes, Richards is liable to turn the puck over a bit much (hardly as often as Blomez), but other than that...Richards is a general on the ice while Gomez is an opportunity waster. When Richards is on the ice, he commands the play. Gomez does not, to put it mildly.

If he resembles anybody, it's Datsyuk. Is he as good? Definitely not (few are), but in terms of distributing the puck, that's not a bad comparison (and that's high praise from me, because Datsyuk is probably my favorite hockey player, Rangers aside).

Richards' role in Dallas is not unique in the way Rolston's was in Minny. Richards needs a goalscorer on his wing and he's pretty much set. A couple of offensive talents on the PP with him and he's good.

Quote:
He's a playmaker. He can't help it if other players around him aren't capable of finishing, if that's what you mean. But he'd help any team, because he makes things happen in the offensive zone and on the PP especially that few others in the league can do. He creates scoring opportunities. That's his role, and he does it very, very well.

Quote:
And I think Richards, especially since Lecavlier's injury struggles, is a much better player overall, and a much, MUCH better fit for this team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'm really confused by this, Ola. How is he a mix of Drury and Gomez? He's a completely different animal from either of them. The only similarity between Richards and Drury is that neither stands out physically and that both rely on their heads to succeed, but their games are totally different. How is he like Gomez? Yes, Richards is liable to turn the puck over a bit much (hardly as often as Blomez), but other than that...Richards is a general on the ice while Gomez is an opportunity waster. When Richards is on the ice, he commands the play. Gomez does not, to put it mildly.

If he resembles anybody, it's Datsyuk. Is he as good? Definitely not (few are), but in terms of distributing the puck, that's not a bad comparison (and that's high praise from me, because Datsyuk is probably my favorite hockey player, Rangers aside).

Richards' role in Dallas is not unique in the way Rolston's was in Minny. Richards needs a goalscorer on his wing and he's pretty much set. A couple of offensive talents on the PP with him and he's good.

He's a playmaker. He can't help it if other players around him aren't capable of finishing, if that's what you mean. But he'd help any team, because he makes things happen in the offensive zone and on the PP especially that few others in the league can do. He creates scoring opportunities. That's his role, and he does it very, very well.

And I think Richards, especially since Lecavlier's injury struggles, is a much better player overall, and a much, MUCH better fit for this team.
I don't really dissagree with the above (Maybe more of a Briere then a Datsyuk though), Richards is a Jack-in-the-box type of player, and a timely one. He pops up and pots a goal, or sets someone up.

The comparision with Gomez and Drury is that Richards all three de facto can be a pice on a line that makes that line complete, while neither is capable of carrying a line. Put Drury with two 4th line players and you get a 4th line basically. Match up that line against a 1st line from the AHL, and they would spend most of their time checking. Put Gomez on a line with two 4th lineers that line would still get up ice, but Gomez would probably not get them on the board much. Put Richards on a line with two 4th lineers, and I think Richards would score more, his linemates would score more -- but that line would also be more up and down. Create more and give up more. He wouldn't be capable of carrying the play.

Richards is playing with two fullblood studs in Loui Eriksson and James Neal in Dallas. The new Bertuzzi-Näslund combo of the NHL, and as the Brandon Morrisson in that equation he is doing a very good job. Just like Drury did with Vanek, remember that Drury was 40 goal scorer when coming here...

The reason I want LeCavalier more then Richard is simple -- I don't want a player that can be overmatched in the Atlantic, or in the East. LeCavalier wouldn't be overmatched going up against a Malkin, or a Crosby or a Bäckström, or a Richards, or a Parise, or a Kovalchuk. Lecavalier can be shut down. I think he, and many others in Tampa, have been a tad disinterested since winning it. You see that all over the league these days. Rich Nash is another example, top 5 in the entire league in terms of talent but tired of loosing. Can't turn it on every night.

Lets say we face Washington in the PO's. I don't see it making much of a difference 5 on 5 if we have a line of Dubi-Richards-Callahan instead of a line of Dubi-AA-Cally. Put Lecavalier into our forward crew -- and I think Pits and Caps would have problems matching our depth, because Lecav can carry a line by himself. It would also improve our PP just as much as had we got Richards, I would bet on more. We would get a 6'4 center who is really strong on FO's and who you never mind to put out there on a FO with seconds left.

Old
12-08-2010, 07:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sather moved Matt Cullen's contract. He moved the Scott Gomez contract. He moved the Ales Kotalik contract. He moved the Donald Brashear 35 plus contract(kind of screwed up the idea of the trade by keeping White but if he is demoted within the next 10-14 days,the Rangers saved some money in the deal). Didn't give up picks or young assets to move those contracts and didn't assume similar bad contracts in return.

Summer time moves.

Michal Rozsival. $3 million salary in 11-12. Last year of contract. Rangers have paid off 85% of the contract.

Chris Drury. $5 million salary in 11-12. Last year contract. Again,the Rangers have paid off between 85-86% of the contract. If the Rangers approached Drury about a trade,he could look at it at as they don't want me anymore so maybe it's time to go somewhere else and they definitely have no intention of re-signing me in 2012 if they want to trade me.

The Rangers would need another top 4 D if they traded Rozsival. Fedor Tyutin who plays both sides equally well or equally bad has a $2,843,750 million cap hit. $3.425 million salary next season. Sather gave him that contract. Healthy scratch last night.