HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm going to the draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2004, 07:56 AM
gpearson1968

vCash: 500
I'm going to the draft

Hey Oil Fans,

Well, after a little finangling with the missus, I'm going to the draft next Saturday! Raleigh is about an hour and a half from where we currently live, so that shouldn't mess with the family too much. I've only seen one game there, as the Oilers haven't played here for a few seasons :mad:

Anyways, I'm certainly thrilled, the Hurricanes are having an equipment sale in the morning before the draft, and I need some decent gear. Still playing every Sunday night at the one hockey rink in a city of a quarter of a million people Ya can't get much down here in the south.

So, I've got a decent digital camera, does anyone know a decent place that I could post some pictures of the draft when I get back ? And since this is the first time I've ever been to a draft, any suggestions ?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
06-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
And since this is the first time I've ever been to a draft, any suggestions ?
Wear a suit and tie, in case your name gets called.

Seriously, take notes and pictures, share them with us, and bask in our envy.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Enjoy it, Geoff. The NHL Draft is cool to experience live. But if I might suggest, be sure to tape it at home. This is very much a tv event which offers the benefit of analysis, speculation, and other insight of what is happening around the draft tables.

Old
06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
momentai

It will be no doubt a fun experience. Have fun.

Old
06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
let me know i have some space where i can upload them for you.

Old
06-17-2004, 11:18 AM
canada94

Send a message via MSN to canada94
Does anyone think the oil should draft big hometowm boy Jeff Shultz 6'6 with our
25th pick

Old
06-17-2004, 03:37 PM
CanmoreMike

Geoff,

if you are an Oilers fan, you should let us know you are there by getting the crowd around you to start chanting:

"DOAN! DOAN! DOAN! DOAN! DOAN!"

when the Oilers pick. Tell the locals it's good luck, or fans do this all the time at drafts. Whatever, I think it would be hilarious to hear the TSN announcers commenting about a chant that sounds "quite similar to the chant from 1995."

Old
06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike
Geoff,

if you are an Oilers fan, you should let us know you are there by getting the crowd around you to start chanting:

when the Oilers pick. Tell the locals it's good luck, or fans do this all the time at drafts. Whatever, I think it would be hilarious to hear the TSN announcers commenting about a chant that sounds "quite similar to the chant from 1995."
You do that and you risk the following:

Gord Miller: "And Lowe will now step up to announce his selection for... What's this? A disheveled Barry Fraser has come running up on the stage and, oh my, he's pushed Lowe out of the way!"

Pierre McGuire: "Gord, this is just a show of pure determination and heart from the former head scout of the Oilers."

Miller: "And Fraser has selected Steve Kelly... again!"

McGuire: "Gord, Fraser is my Draft Monster for 2004. He's consistent, courageous, and crazy enough to select someone who was selected almost a decade ago. You just can't beat that. He's far better than those one-piece sticks."

Old
06-17-2004, 07:33 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Enjoy it, Geoff. The NHL Draft is cool to experience live. But if I might suggest, be sure to tape it at home. This is very much a tv event which offers the benefit of analysis, speculation, and other insight of what is happening around the draft tables.
I concur with this thought - go but tape. I went to the 2000 draft in Calgary and it was kind of neat. Got to see Lowe on the phone a lot (dressed in his funny baby blue suit) while he was wandering over to the NYI table to make what turned out to be the Hamrlik/Brewer deal. Thought I was really in the know for being able to watch all that unfold until I found out when I came home that the networks were all over the deal as it was happening and had pretty much reported on the terms way before it became public.

Old
06-17-2004, 07:46 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
on the matter of that deal... I really don't see why people think Milbury got so screwed on that one.... I mean.... Brewer hasn't been as good as Hamr the last few years IMO.......

06-17-2004, 07:58 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
on the matter of that deal... I really don't see why people think Milbury got so screwed on that one.... I mean.... Brewer hasn't been as good as Hamr the last few years IMO.......
Yes, but we also got Josh Green.

jk. I'm happy we did the deal, but it certainly didn't turn out to be the steal of the century.

Old
06-17-2004, 08:00 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, exactly - I mean, I'm really happy because we couldn't have kept Hamr, but you got my drift (Winchester from the second too with Greene)....

Was Greene ever highly thought of or what was the general idea on him when the trade went down... anybody remembeR?

Old
06-17-2004, 08:15 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Was Greene ever highly thought of or what was the general idea on him when the trade went down... anybody remembeR?
The sense that I got when we got Green was exactly how it went with Isbister. Essentially, a big, power-forward with speed and a shot who's shown flashes.. but has moved around a bit because he couldn't find his game and had some injury problems. The wild card/unknown quantity in the deal was Brewer, just like Torres.

Old
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
You do that and you risk the following:

Gord Miller: "And Lowe will now step up to announce his selection for... What's this? A disheveled Barry Fraser has come running up on the stage and, oh my, he's pushed Lowe out of the way!"

Pierre McGuire: "Gord, this is just a show of pure determination and heart from the former head scout of the Oilers."

Miller: "And Fraser has selected Steve Kelly... again!"

McGuire: "Gord, Fraser is my Draft Monster for 2004. He's consistent, courageous, and crazy enough to select someone who was selected almost a decade ago. You just can't beat that. He's far better than those one-piece sticks."
:lol

PM makes me laugh, even when I disagree with him he's entertaining. Gord Miller and Michael Landsberg are amusing too, they just love to egg people on.

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

Old
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
gpearson1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike
Geoff,

That would be too damn funny !!!! All-righty then, when they go up for the first pick, I'll get a bunch of folks around me to start the shouting. Should it be :

or

"SHANE DOAN! SHANE DOAN! SHANE DOAN!"

I forget which one is historically accurate.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
06-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Digger12

Quote:
That would be too damn funny !!!! All-righty then, when they go up for the first pick, I'll get a bunch of folks around me to start the shouting. Should it be :

or

"SHANE DOAN! SHANE DOAN! SHANE DOAN!"

I forget which one is historically accurate.

Cheers,
Geoff.
I believe "DOAN! DOAN! DOAN! DOAN! DOAN!" is the most historically accurate, but make sure you starting booing like you're at a Spinal Tap concert after they pick. That would most properly catch the '95 mood.

That would be gold.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:01 PM
gpearson1968

Well,

We got back from the draft in one piece, it rained pretty hard here this morning and not exactly covered parking at the arena. BTW, It's called RBC Center, as in Royal Bank of Canuck, and I think they have a 20 year contract on the name.

First impression was that I didn't think that there would be nearly this many southerners at a hockey draft. Over 15000 folks showed up in ugly weather for this event, and it was quite noticeable. Season ticket holders got dibs on the better lower bowl seats, my family and I would up in the middle bowl. Turns out we got lucky though. The luxury box 10 seats over and 5 rows back was rented by the Oilers. And yes, they all got a real kick out of me yelling :

DOAN, DOAN, DOAN !!!!!

when Kevin stepped up for the first pick. Even had a big 'ol cardboard sign with his name on it for everyone to see. I had explained the Doan situation to the folks around me, and about 6-7 of them started chanting with me. Too damn funny ! :lol

Here's a link to some of the pictures I took. There would have been more, but I had let my four year old daughter play with the camera, with the flash on, and the battery died just as we made the 1st pick. I was able to get a picture of the Oiler logos on the big screen, and then the camera died. Ah well.

http://www.pbase.com/gpearson1968/inbox

The biggest events for the crowd were Carolina moving up to Number 4, picking Ladd. I don't know if they knew who he was, but they certainly liked the price for getting the 4th overall. The other biggie was Gretzky stepping up to the mike. Got a standing ovation for about 30 seconds or so. Still the man.

Anyways, after the Oilers picked Dubnyk, I went over to the skybox that the Oil had rented for the occasion. They have a walkway between the skyboxes and if you go to the end of the walkway, you can stand there and talk to the folks inside. One of the Oiler brass, not sure who it was, came in and was a little exasperated that we missed out on Stafford. He came in and was talking to Craig Simpson and said that he couldn't believe that they were so close to nabbing Stafford, and that they were just one pick away. Oh well, they seemed OK with Dubnyk.

Talked to Simpson for a little bit as we were leaving. He said the Doan chant was hilarious, and that they got the joke. Shook his hand and few other folks hands in the skybox and then we all headed out.

Nice little setup they had outside, when it stopped raining. Plenty for the little kids to do, they had those blow up moonwalk contraptions and such, and my little girl had a blast. The missus learnt way more about the draft than she thought she would, and still enjoyed herself. I was pretty stoked just to shake Simpsons hand, I hadn't seen an Oiler close up since I was in a little strip club in Edmonton a few years back, but that's another story.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
06-26-2004, 11:37 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Here's a link to some of the pictures I took.
Awesome post and thanks for the pictures. Would have loved to go.

I couldn't help but notice how incredibly young one of the Oilers' scouts is. The scout in the Oilers jersey at the corner of the Oilers' table in the front of the pictures. The guy with the 3rd jersey ball cap on.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:50 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Awesome post and thanks for the pictures. Would have loved to go.

I couldn't help but notice how incredibly young one of the Oilers' scouts is. The scout in the Oilers jersey at the corner of the Oilers' table in the front of the pictures. The guy with the 3rd jersey ball cap on.
I noticed that. Buffalo has one too. Probably a runner or something.

Anyway, great read GP! Sounds like you had an awesome time, I would've loved to hear what they were saying about missing out on Stafford.

Old
06-27-2004, 01:07 AM
momentai

Quote:
He came in and was talking to Craig Simpson and said that he couldn't believe that they were so close to nabbing Stafford, and that they were just one pick away. Oh well, they seemed OK with Dubnyk.
Thanks Geoff. Much appreciated. While I was a little disappointed in missing out on Drew myself... we were only 2 spots away from AJ Thelen!! Arghh.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:23 AM
gpearson1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I noticed that. Buffalo has one too. Probably a runner or something.

Anyway, great read GP! Sounds like you had an awesome time, I would've loved to hear what they were saying about missing out on Stafford.
Yeah, each time had a runner to pass notes or instructions from the league or whatever that was dressed in team colours. Looks like they had a good time too.

The Capitals had rented the skybox right behind us, and Ovechkin came in and sat down soon after he was picked. I found out, through an interpreter, that there's a whole little process that the picks go through after they're chosen. For some there's a media gauntlet, and then there's a private room where the pick and their family's get an official picture taken. From the picture room, they can go and start signing autographs for whoever wants one. BTW, I met the interpreter out back while having a smoke. Ovechkin seems like a real nice kid, and no, he wasn't smoking.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
06-27-2004, 10:29 AM
IceDragoon

Sounds like you had a blast, Geoff.

Good.

Old
06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Pandastyle

Send a message via AIM to Pandastyle
I was also there, and had a blast.

During the #44 pick (the Oilers 2nd rounder), I screamed "LEPISTO!" to try and get them to take him but they took Tesliuk instead. Oh well, Schremp at 25 was a good pick.

Oh, and I saw someone wearing an Oilers Zelepukin jersey....I was kinda surprised to see that, but I guess someone could be as equally surprised to see me in my Flyers Niinimaa jersey.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandastyle
I was also there, and had a blast.

During the #44 pick (the Oilers 2nd rounder), I screamed "LEPISTO!" to try and get them to take him but they took Tesliuk instead. Oh well, Schremp at 25 was a good pick.

Oh, and I saw someone wearing an Oilers Zelepukin jersey....I was kinda surprised to see that, but I guess someone could be as equally surprised to see me in my Flyers Niinimaa jersey.

Great reading about your draft experience. And gp your wife is a good soul to come along and make it a family thing. Love the chanting thing, and am impressed that 15,000 came out (that was the reported number here).

Old
06-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Great reading about your draft experience. And gp your wife is a good soul to come along and make it a family thing. Love the chanting thing, and am impressed that 15,000 came out (that was the reported number here).
What happened was that the advertisement outside the arena said "NASCAR", so people thought there was a race going on inside.

Little did they know that, in this case, NASCAR meant:

Need
A
Stanley
Cup
At
Raleigh

Closed Thread