HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Is this really my life?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2004, 08:05 AM
  #1
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,917
vCash: 5792
OT: Is this really my life?

Last night, I watched the coach who completely blew up our basketball team with a bunch of bad, unmotivated players that Larry Brown and only Larry Brown wanted, then split and left the Sixers in shambles to hop on a team that would have been in the finals, and probably would have won anyways with Rick Carlisle...

The Flyers had the best chance to win the Cup they've had in years and lose in a Game 7 because of bad special teams and injuries (not to mention, Tampa Bay was better anyways)

The Eagles are all set to be total underacheivers this year after losing 3 straight NFC titles, 2 blowouts at home.

Smarty Jones loses the Belmont in typical heartbreak fashon that we have seen over the past 7 years or so.

And the Phillies go on a run where they win 5 of 8 and then lose 4 of 5.

St. Joe's lose in the Elite 8 on a utter breakdown play and a lucky shot off of a bounce of a ball

I was born in 1984, I've never seen a major sports championship, the last one was in 1983 (besides Villanova, but in Philadelphia, College sports or horse racing aren't considered major). All I want is a winner. This city deserves a winner, is this too much to ask from ONE of 4 teams to do in 21 years?

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
  #2
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I was happy for LB after he was treated like crap for a lot of his time here and had to put up with all of Iverson's antics. I do not if Carlisle could have done that. Brown somehow kept Rasheed Wallace in check and the Pistons started playing some tenacious D that hadn't been seen during Carlisle's tenure. Don't blame Brown also for the players we have now. King is the GM...Besides, guys like Salmons and Greene look like they could turn into something.

Speaking of the Sixers, I am not a basketball fan really, but why don't they just draft Jameer and trade AI? Maybe they could even pick up that Delonte West dude in the 2nd round.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 08:34 AM
  #3
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Abington (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Don't blame Brown also for the players we have now. King is the GM...Besides, guys like Salmons and Greene look like they could turn into something.
I am not a basketball fan and could care less about Brown but he is responsible for the players that the Sixers now have. He told Billy who to get, who to trade for and who to draft. This team was created by Brown. Once he realized that he screwed up, he tried to and did jump ship. I agree that dealing with AI has to be like hell but Larry could have left on better terms with the city. He had no right to say "I did not know what my roll was in Philly" He knew, he just did not want to be held accountable for his front office’s mismanagement of the team. Also, I hear Larry talk about doing the right thing. Was it right that he weaseled his way into the Detroit coaching job?


By the way,what was Mr. Snyder thinking to let Brown go for nothing. Hell, at least a 2nd round pick would have been nice.

Cuiff is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,917
vCash: 5792
The Sixers are once again the 4th team in this town (and 4th team in this town for me). If they want to get back to where they were, as far as havng the fans excited, 1, they should draft Jameer Nelson (may not be the best pick, but AI will work with him if he has to and said he'd go to the 2), and give Pat Croce his job back (and his stake in the Flyers, which is the real reason he was told to get lost in the first place)

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 08:48 AM
  #5
Flyers26
 
Flyers26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: We must accept disap
Country: United States
Posts: 7,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Last night, I watched the coach who completely blew up our basketball team with a bunch of bad, unmotivated players that Larry Brown and only Larry Brown wanted, then split and left the Sixers in shambles to hop on a team that would have been in the finals, and probably would have won anyways with Rick Carlisle...

The Flyers had the best chance to win the Cup they've had in years and lose in a Game 7 because of bad special teams and injuries (not to mention, Tampa Bay was better anyways)

The Eagles are all set to be total underacheivers this year after losing 3 straight NFC titles, 2 blowouts at home.

Smarty Jones loses the Belmont in typical heartbreak fashon that we have seen over the past 7 years or so.

And the Phillies go on a run where they win 5 of 8 and then lose 4 of 5.

St. Joe's lose in the Elite 8 on a utter breakdown play and a lucky shot off of a bounce of a ball

I was born in 1984, I've never seen a major sports championship, the last one was in 1983 (besides Villanova, but in Philadelphia, College sports or horse racing aren't considered major). All I want is a winner. This city deserves a winner, is this too much to ask from ONE of 4 teams to do in 21 years?
1ST.. I'm not an Eagles fan, so I love their misery.
2nd.. Not much of a Basketball fan, but I do watch the occasional game. (would like to see the Sixers do well)

Now GKJ, you have not seen a championship in your lifetime... How would you like to be a kid, growing up with the Phils winning division titles every year, Flyers winning 2 cups in a row, and lost the 3rd, due to injury...
Seeing the Phils finally win the World series, thinking this is the way life is.. every year, your team's winning & being competitive, only to never see them win "championships" again.
I'm now going on 38, have a 2-1/2 year old son, seen family members pass away, wondering if my son will know the thrill of having the teams he's inherited win consistantly?
Imagine the tease of youth, only to wake up to the adult reality that is the Philadelphia sports scene!
Being a Broncos fan was awesome to watch them win back to back Super Bowls, erasing the memories of the 70's & 80's Super Bowl losses, but it's not the same as watching a team in your backyard, that you've gone to hundreds of games win.

Flyers26 is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 08:55 AM
  #6
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Abington (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
1ST.. I'm not an Eagles fan, so I love their misery..

A smile that is extending his middle finger would be perfect here.

Cuiff is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 09:00 AM
  #7
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Sixers are once again the 4th team in this town (and 4th team in this town for me). If they want to get back to where they were, as far as havng the fans excited, 1, they should draft Jameer Nelson (may not be the best pick, but AI will work with him if he has to and said he'd go to the 2), and give Pat Croce his job back (and his stake in the Flyers, which is the real reason he was told to get lost in the first place)

Drafting Nelson would be a huge mistake for the Sixers.

Croce was a great PR man and salesman, but had nothing to do with buildig the basketball team. He was also the main culprit in letting Iverson get away with as much as he did (not going to practice etc. etc.)

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
  #8
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,917
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Drafting Nelson would be a huge mistake for the Sixers.

Croce was a great PR man and salesman, but had nothing to do with buildig the basketball team. He was also the main culprit in letting Iverson get away with as much as he did (not going to practice etc. etc.)
obviously im not much of a basketball guy, so i bought into everything he said, short of shaving my head (back then I had hair down to my shoulders )

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 01:25 PM
  #9
Dykhuis26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
I feel your pain, GKJ. I was born in '78, but winning when I was 2 and 5 don't really count. It's only a sweet victory if you pour out your heart for a team and they come through. I can't leave this city til we win. It'll be the biggest parade in history. 20,000 in Tampa? That was a JOKE.

Dykhuis26 is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 01:56 PM
  #10
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
I often keep myself content by thinking, "The longer it takes to win a championship, the sweeter it will be."

You should try it sometime.

Brad* is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 03:06 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,917
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I often keep myself content by thinking, "The longer it takes to win a championship, the sweeter it will be."

You should try it sometime.
I'm well aware of that. I couldn't imagine being a Cubs, Red or White Sox fan....or since Hockey is my first sport, a Blackhawks fan....

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-16-2004, 09:56 PM
  #12
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
A smile that is extending his middle finger would be perfect here.

easton122 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.