HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plekanec a Selke Candidate

Old
11-16-2010, 11:54 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Plekanec a Selke Candidate

At the rate Plekanec is playing this season in regards to his points, his PK play and faceoffs...he has to be a Selke candidate with the usual suspects like Datsyuk, Richards and Kesler.

The guy is entering his prime, and looks to be a legit heavy weight in the two way game in the NHL.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 11:59 PM
TankEller*

Won't happen unfortunately. It'll be one of the usual winners solely based on his reputation, just like Brodeur won like 1 or 2 more Vezina trophies than he should have

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
acemobile

Send a message via MSN to acemobile
Plekanec wasn't even on the all star ballot for the Habs. He will get overlooked by the usual over-hyped, under-deserving players.

acemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:13 AM

I don't see how he can be overlooked for the Selke. He plays in the biggest market there is (okay maybe 2nd besides TO) and everytime you turn on the TV to watch the Habs, you notice the small #14.

The work he does on the PK is amazing.

Even strenght he creates a ton of offensive chance and he is definitely one of the smartest forward defensively in the league, there is no doubt about it.

He will also end up at around 80 points this year if he stays healthy which is a must nowadays for the Selke.

At least a nomination. He just has to.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Nominated??...He should win!

Although Datsyuk is indeed great on both side of the ice, he barely plays on the PK. I have a hard time understanding how a player who's considered the best two way player in the game is rarely used on the PK.

I really don't think there's a more complete player than Plekanec in this league. The guy is a beast.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Guilliam

I posted a poll on that matter like a month ago, would be interresting to bump it.

but I'm way too lazy right now...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Next Best Thing*

He's tied at #11 in the scoring race with Backstrom and Selanne and.. Chris Stewart... while having less games played

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:43 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
At the rate Plekanec is playing this season in regards to his points, his PK play and faceoffs...he has to be a Selke candidate with the usual suspects like Datsyuk, Richards and Kesler.

The guy is entering his prime, and looks to be a legit heavy weight in the two way game in the NHL.
He's 47.4%.

....and the way he's playing that should be overlooked.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:52 AM
McNuts

How the **** is he not on the all-star ballot? What the **** is this...

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Nominated??...He should win!

Although Datsyuk is indeed great on both side of the ice, he barely plays on the PK. I have a hard time understanding how a player who's considered the best two way player in the game is rarely used on the PK.

I really don't think there's a more complete player than Plekanec in this league. The guy is a beast.
While he should definitely be in the contending, how about we avoid the overrating here? There are most certainly more complete players, and yes Datsyuk is one of them. He is not on the PK primarily because Detroit is a stacked team with other options. They have the luxury of keeping him back to attack subsequent to the PK. Watch a few Red Wing games and you will not question why Datsyuk is cited as the league's best two way player.

In addition I would rank Ryan Kesler, Miku Koivu and Patrick Sharp ahead of Plekanec. All that being said, Plek will undoubtedly reason mention now should he continue to emerge as an impact player.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Rutabaga

I already said it somewhere else, but he was directly involved in 20 of our 49 goals, a ratio only beaten by Stamkos, Perry and Crosby.

Richards, Giroux, Bergeron and Fisher are the only other TOP-6 players with an average of over 2:30 SH TOI.

Its only the beginning of the season, but if he keeps going at the same rythm (on pace for 96 pts), he should be at least considered for a nomination.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I bet for some stupid reason a player from Toronto will finish ahead of him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:00 AM
Plekanov

It's like the other teams fans refuse to notice the magic that Plekanec brings almost every shift...

And when Datsyuk does similar plays it's almost regarded as ''art''.

The awards are given by the league not the fans...of course...but it's hard to deny the popularity-contest aspect in the nominations.

I guess he'll keep being an underdog-gangsta!

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

Man, it's crazy to think that a while back we doubted him. I know I did, i wanted him traded cuz he was soft and dropped in production. Way to prove me wrong buddy, solid last year and solid again this year. This guy is a stud.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:20 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
While he should definitely be in the contending, how about we avoid the overrating here? There are most certainly more complete players, and yes Datsyuk is one of them. He is not on the PK primarily because Detroit is a stacked team with other options. They have the luxury of keeping him back to attack subsequent to the PK. Watch a few Red Wing games and you will not question why Datsyuk is cited as the league's best two way player.

In addition I would rank Ryan Kesler, Miku Koivu and Patrick Sharp ahead of Plekanec. All that being said, Plek will undoubtedly reason mention now should he continue to emerge as an impact player.
Yes, I indeed exaggerrated.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Plekanov

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

The guy is sick plain and simple. Some of the most ridiculous stuff I've read on these boards have come from discussions about this guy. How he's not in the same league as Paul Stastny, how he's overrated.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

If Pleks keeps it up, he has to be a candidate, if not the winner. He's over a PPG, plays on the first PK unit, first PP unit and first line. He most often than not plays against the other team's best line. He could get better on faceoffs and that's something he acknowledged in an interview I saw recently. Still, 47% is not dramatic. It's not elite, but it's not that bad either.

Anyhow, I see Plekanec as a Datsyuk-type player. He doesn't have the Datsyuk moves but he might be a better passer than Pavel is. In other areas of play, they're incredibly similar. Small, crafty, shifty, versatile.

I'll be very disappointed if Plekanec doesn't at the very least get a top 3 finish for the Selke if he keeps it up for the whole season.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 09:40 AM
Guy Caballero

Pleks is low key and stays under the radar. This seems to work out fine for him and for the Habs.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Man, it's crazy to think that a while back we doubted him. I know I did, i wanted him traded cuz he was soft and dropped in production. Way to prove me wrong buddy, solid last year and solid again this year. This guy is a stud.
I wanted him gone and try and bring in Mike Fisher

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 12:22 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanov View Post
Rise to the top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
If Pleks keeps it up, he has to be a candidate, if not the winner. He's over a PPG, plays on the first PK unit, first PP unit and first line. He most often than not plays against the other team's best line. He could get better on faceoffs and that's something he acknowledged in an interview I saw recently. Still, 47% is not dramatic. It's not elite, but it's not that bad either.

Anyhow, I see Plekanec as a Datsyuk-type player. He doesn't have the Datsyuk moves but he might be a better passer than Pavel is. In other areas of play, they're incredibly similar. Small, crafty, shifty, versatile.

I'll be very disappointed if Plekanec doesn't at the very least get a top 3 finish for the Selke if he keeps it up for the whole season.
I used to think that he had the potential to become what he is now but didn't think his skill level was on par with other top players in the league. However I'm starting to change my mind seeing some of the **** he's pulling off this season.

Btw I love some of the replies in this thread.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
How the **** is he not on the all-star ballot? What the **** is this...
Name recognition

Plekanec still doesn't have enough. Yeah i know it's retarded but that's the way it works it seems.

No one give a **** about the ASB though so that's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Ditto. He did suck pretty bad for us in 2009. But he found the magic of his 2008 finish, added a more complete game to it, sprinkled in ruthless consistency and an ability to use his linemates better and make them better too, and has turned himself into a better player than we had any right to ever dream of.

That said, sorry, not a Selke candidate by any stretch.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Benzaza

he is starting to become a Datsuyk-like player..Datsyuk is far superior but wow Plekanec is playing with confidence..what a skater and what a passer

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2010, 01:42 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaza View Post
he is starting to become a Datsuyk-like player..Datsyuk is far superior but wow Plekanec is playing with confidence..what a skater and what a passer
Who knows what Plek could have done playing with the players Dats played with though. Who knows where he'd be today if their positions were reversed.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote