HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the EDM/NYR trades continue as the draft approaches?

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Will the EDM/NYR trades continue as the draft approaches?

I'm sure there are still some bodies on EDM's roster that Sather likes, maybe some on NYR's roster that Lowe likes.

Additionally, EDM has picks at 14 and 25, and would probably explore both moving up (to #6) and moving down (from either 14 or 25 for more picks), while NYR has 6, 24, and 5 2nds?

Anyone see the makings for a deal or two between these 2 teams, once again

Old
06-15-2004, 07:32 PM
speeds

personally I don't think NYR would be particularly interested trading away the 6th pick, but then again who knows? Maybe they have someone high on their list that they expect to be available at 7 (FLA), 10 (ATL - rumored to want to trade up), or 14 (EDM)?

Old
06-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Yizee*

I am sick of Sather trading with Edmonton - he wants them to be a good team and would be willing to move guys like mike york who was young and good for a defensive guy who doesnt play defense.. I dont want to hear ever again that we made a trade with Edmonton

Old
06-15-2004, 08:32 PM
nyrfuture

We traded weight, marchant, york, dvorak, cross, and markkanen all to edmonton.
I really can't see an impact player in return, except the weight trade which was for the playoff run.

Old
06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

If AJ Thelen is still available at #14, I would be willing to part with Lundmark and the 24th pick.

Old
06-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I'm sure there are still some bodies on EDM's roster that Sather likes, maybe some on NYR's roster that Lowe likes.

Additionally, EDM has picks at 14 and 25, and would probably explore both moving up (to #6) and moving down (from either 14 or 25 for more picks), while NYR has 6, 24, and 5 2nds?

Anyone see the makings for a deal or two between these 2 teams, once again
I don't think that we're moving the #6 pick, but I definitely could see a swap of the #24 and a 2nd rounder for the #14 if the Rangers like someone in the 13-17 range and Edmonton wants to move down. Do you think Lowe is willing to move down or has he got his sights set on someone at #14?

Old
06-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I don't think that we're moving the #6 pick, but I definitely could see a swap of the #24 and a 2nd rounder for the #14 if the Rangers like someone in the 13-17 range and Edmonton wants to move down. Do you think Lowe is willing to move down or has he got his sights set on someone at #14?
Lowe has been quoted as saying the players they get in the first "have" to play for the team (no more Bonsignore, mikhnovs, etc...) in a "weak" draft like this, the closer to the top the better. I doubt EDM moves it

Old
06-15-2004, 09:01 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
Lowe has been quoted as saying the players they get in the first "have" to play for the team (no more Bonsignore, mikhnovs, etc...) in a "weak" draft like this, the closer to the top the better. I doubt EDM moves it
that is kind of a dumb statement on lowe's part because it implies that the team intentionally bad picks because they felt like having bust...the oilers didn't draft bonsignore with the intention of him being a bust. and the ONLY way to avoid potentially picking a bust in the 1st round is to avoid picking in the 1st round completely so you can save your potential bust for later in the draft because almost nothing is a given in the draft...

Old
06-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
that is kind of a dumb statement on lowe's part because it implies that the team intentionally bad picks because they felt like having bust...the oilers didn't draft bonsignore with the intention of him being a bust. and the ONLY way to avoid potentially picking a bust in the 1st round is to avoid picking in the 1st round completely so you can save your potential bust for later in the draft because almost nothing is a given in the draft...
How on earth could that be a dumb statement? Lowe (and Prendergast) have made it a priority to draft players in the top 3 rounds who are not as high risk as in the past. Since 2001 (when the Lowe/KP tandem was put in place) they've picked guys like Hemsky, Jarrett Stoll, Jeff Deslauriers and MA Pouliot. Guys who have talent but are less of a risk than someone like Jessiman (not saying Jessiman doesn't have high upside, he certainly does, but that pick is more a Sather style pick than the current Oiler regime).

If we look at this draft, an Oiler type pick might be Chipchura. Sather/Barry Fraser type picks might be someone like Lisin.

Either way is fine, but for the Oilers, a team with a recent decade long string of first rounders who turned into gas station attendants, the sure thing sounds good.

Old
06-15-2004, 09:54 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfuture
We traded weight, marchant, york, dvorak, cross, and markkanen all to edmonton.
I really can't see an impact player in return, except the weight trade which was for the playoff run.
We also trade Bernie Nichols and Louie DeBrusk for Mark Messier.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:25 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
We also trade Bernie Nichols and Louie DeBrusk for Mark Messier.
Let's not forget Steven Rice, the future rights to Jeff Beukeboom and what Edmonton really traded for.

Eight million dollars.

Old
06-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
For my response see Lowetide's response

Old
06-16-2004, 11:39 AM
barnaby63

I hope we can get Jason Smith and Ethan Moreau from Edmonton for Jamie Lundmark and a cheap 3rd line PK'er(Lacouture or Betts?) and a high 2nd round pick?

Edmonton saves alot of cash in that deal.

Old
06-16-2004, 02:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
I hope we can get Jason Smith and Ethan Moreau from Edmonton for Jamie Lundmark and a cheap 3rd line PK'er(Lacouture or Betts?) and a high 2nd round pick?

Hmm Id like Moreau but he is another 3rd liner, I do however would love to get Smith, we can use a real big hitting dman. Instead of Moreau, id try to get Jason Chimera. He has skill and is fast and yea he is young lw and he has some grit, 5 fighting majors this season.

Old
06-16-2004, 03:40 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

With all due respect, we are rebuilding are we not? Moreau will be 29 in September and Smith will be 31 in November.

If we're going to trade Lundmark, I'd want a youngin' in return.

Old
06-16-2004, 04:15 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Prendergast has said most of the talent in this draft, in their eyes, is in the top 25 or so players.

I couls easily see EDM moving from 14 to 24, but IMO it would take more than a 2nd to move down 10 spots.

in 2001 it cost PHX a pick in the 40's to move from 14 to 11. Last year, EDM traded down from 17th to 22nd, and received a late 2nd rounder. Both the 2001 and 2003 drafts are considered deeper than 2004, so those 2nds probably had a bit more value than a 2nd in the same overall draft position this year.

To move from 14 to 24, I think it would cost Sather 2 2nd rounders. Would he be willing to do that? Depends on who's avail at 14, IMO.

Last edited by speeds: 06-16-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old
06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:

I doubt the Rangers could get Smith for that, let alone Smith and their MVP this year.

Klingsor mentioned Chimera. I could see him being available, maybe for one of the Rangers' 2nds?

Also, there's a thread on the Oilers board saying explaining the 2nd involved in the Nedved deal. The Oilers will keep the better of their 2nd and the Leetch compensatory pick, apparently.

Closed Thread