HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the door open for Selanne?

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2004, 11:26 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Is the door open for Selanne?

Would Selanne even be a better fit with Koivu?

Old
06-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Would Selanne even be a better fit with Koivu?
If he's willing to sign for $2M or less, why not? We seem to have an opening and it would be a more interesting experiment now than it would have been before the Kovalev news broke.

For the moment, it looks like we have 2 scoring line winger jobs open (replacing Kovalev, and Dagenais is always open), so if it was a short-term cheap contract, sure. Personally, I think Selanne has lost it and it would just turn out to be another Audette situation, but I'm willing to have him prove me wrong if it doesn't use up any significant salary in the process.

Old
06-16-2004, 11:45 AM
mcphee

My impression of Selanne is that he is a better 2 way player than given credit for. He is coming off a situation where he was at war with his coach. He will at best be a 20-25 goal,45-50 point guy,which is better than what we had. His board and physical play is a bit underrated. Playing a solid 2 way game with Koivu would make matchups a lot easier and free up Bullis for work on a defensive line or with Ribeiro. My thinking, and I should put it on Mike the Wall's thread about lines, is that assuming Ribeiro and Koivu center our offensive lines, we'll see a young player and an acquired player, to go with Koivu/Zed and Ribs/Ryder duos. Selanne can be a short term option as long as we accept that we aren't getting a premier offensive player.

Old
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Guy Caballero

I'd give him 2-2.5 mil if we can't get kovalev. But if we do, we'll definitely need someone with size to line up with Ribs/Ryder. I seriously DO NOT want to see Dags there again.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Personally id pass on him. I really dont want anybody who is passed their prime, even if they come cheap. Why take a risk on a out of prime player, if you can land a player in him prime who is more likely to perform. Now if nowbody signs with us, than i guess i would be ok with Selanne, but only if he comes cheap, and its a short term deal, somwhere around 1 year.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:06 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I would sign him for 2 millions a year maximum I think he is a deadwood now he lose his scroring touch IMO.He can have a good season but Koivu but just one IMO he would pass on him I would better have ZIGGY palffy on our first line but if selanne gonna play in our third line for 1.5 or 2 millions he is welcome BTW 2 millions in the third line you gonna say it's too much but I am sure he will do a better job then juneau, juneau salary was 1.8 or 2.8 millions something like that.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Subban Fan

Koivu and Selanne will get the chance to work on their chemistry at the World Cup before the season starts!!! Not a bad idea to try to sign him at 2-2.5M...

Old
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I would sign him for 2 millions a year maximum I think he is a deadwood now he lose his scroring touch IMO.He can have a good season but Koivu but just one IMO he would pass on him I would better have ZIGGY palffy on our first line but if selanne gonna play in our third line for 1.5 or 2 millions he is welcome BTW 2 millions in the third line you gonna say it's too much but I am sure he will do a better job then juneau, juneau salary was 1.8 or 2.8 millions something like that.
Of course you would want Ziggy but are you willing to poney up 7-8 million a year.

Personally I think there is other options than Selanne who would be first inquired about. If not Kovalev, then Murray, Nedved, people hate the guy but Lindros and Rolston. Also there are going to be guys not qualified so you might find a diamond out there.

Selanne isn't first on my list but if others can't be brought in, you got a look at him.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:21 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I wonder if Kariya still wants to play with Selanne after such an aweful and injury plagued year. Although this is pure imaginary, if we were able to sign them like the avs did last year, we would have a Kariya,Koivu,Selanne line, and if anyone does remember, Selanne and Koivu play great together and our second line would be Zednik,Ribeiro,Ryder which would be fun to watch. Not like it's going to happend but just fun to think of it. I think the avs hurt themselve by signing them too, cause they really had too many offensive players. In a league of defence, have 3 offensive lines doesn't help cause 2 of those lines are up against heavy defence.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
I wonder if Kariya still wants to play with Selanne after such an aweful and injury plagued year. Although this is pure imaginary, if we were able to sign them like the avs did last year, we would have a Kariya,Koivu,Selanne line, and if anyone does remember, Selanne and Koivu play great together and our second line would be Zednik,Ribeiro,Ryder which would be fun to watch. Not like it's going to happend but just fun to think of it. I think the avs hurt themselve by signing them too, cause they really had too many offensive players. In a league of defence, have 3 offensive lines doesn't help cause 2 of those lines are up against heavy defence.
Our first line then would officially be calles the SMURF line.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:24 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
And? Our smurf line wins us games. Size doesn't matter all that much.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
The thing is Zednik was terrible with Ribeiro, so i think its pretty safe to say, the Koivu/Zednik duo is not changing too soon.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
The thing is Zednik was terrible with Ribeiro, so i think its pretty safe to say, the Koivu/Zednik duo is not changing too soon.
Agreed.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I agree. And Ryder was very good with Ribeiro, except for the playoffs. And Ryder does not work on a line with Zednik... Zednik gets annoyed because Ryder keeps the puck too much.

So...

Zednik-Koivu-Selanne
Bulis/Hossa-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis/Higgins-Dowd-Ward
Hossa/Langdon-Begin-whoever

Not bad. Selanne would do great with Koivu because his game is all about give-and-go and quickness and so is Koivu's. I think they are perfectly suited for each other. Too bad we don't have a big left winger too.

I doubt you could get him for $2.5 mil though. He could easily get $5 mil on the open market.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
And? Our smurf line wins us games. Size doesn't matter all that much.
1st..... Zednik(6'1, 196), Koivu(5'10, 181), Bulis(6'1,208)

2nd..... Ryder(6'0,196), Ribs(6'0, 176), Dags(6'5, 215)

What smurf line??? We are small down the C, but overall, were not that small on the wings.

Old
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
1st..... Zednik(6'1, 196), Koivu(5'10, 181), Bulis(6'1,208)

2nd..... Ryder(6'0,196), Ribs(6'0, 176), Dags(6'5, 215)

What smurf line??? We are small down the C, but overall, were not that small on the wings.
Yeah, but none of those guys play physical... except KOIVU, and we don't want that...

Old
06-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Yeah, but none of those guys play physical... except KOIVU, and we don't want that...
Yep, thats the problem. Ryder does to some exteet, but not enough. Thats why we need more grinders on our third and fourth line imo.

Old
06-16-2004, 04:45 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

If Selanne would sign here, and if Gainey would be interested in obtaining him, and if it was for the right price (whatever Gainey decides). But do you guys really think he will sign for 2M? He made 5.8M this year, and while that's way overpaid, I'd think he'd still be a 3M+ signee, then add the Montreal tax factor, he may want a little more. Depends on what kind of demand there is for him also. I'd be happy to see him on Koivu's wing at 2M though.

Old
06-16-2004, 05:24 PM
tinyzombies

I don't know what salary structure you guys have in your heads. 3rd liners make $2 million in this league, not first liners. Whether Selanne is still a first liner, we don't know, but he will undoubtedly get first line money by someone who wants to find out.

I can't see him getting less than $4 million. San Jose would snap him back up at that price, especially after their scoring troubles in the playoffs.

Old
06-16-2004, 06:24 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I don't know what salary structure you guys have in your heads. 3rd liners make $2 million in this league, not first liners. Whether Selanne is still a first liner, we don't know, but he will undoubtedly get first line money by someone who wants to find out.

I can't see him getting less than $4 million. San Jose would snap him back up at that price, especially after their scoring troubles in the playoffs.
RTL, we're seeing a market correction,watch who doesn't get qualified in a few weeks. Why spend 4 on Selanne ? There will be a glut of either underachieving, or not in their prime forwards. What you consider 1st line money may no longer be applicable. Even teams like Toronto and NY aren't going to throw money on a hope anymore.

Old
06-16-2004, 06:35 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:

If Bulis is a 1st winger...Selanne is one too. How could a guy who scored 76 goals & been a threat during all his career could turn into a BAD player? I don't buy that.
The COL situations was no good for him & that's why he struggled. He declined for sure but Hull still produce at 40 years old...

I think Selanne would provided us 25 goals + 35 assist if playing with Koivu + PP.
Forget the 2 millions a year. He will sign at 3 millions MIN. I would offer him 3.2 and up to 3.5 if we are really in trouble.

Old
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
If Bulis is a 1st winger...Selanne is one too. How could a guy who scored 76 goals & been a threat during all his career could turn into a BAD player? I don't buy that.
The COL situations was no good for him & that's why he struggled. He declined for sure but Hull still produce at 40 years old...

I think Selanne would provided us 25 goals + 35 assist if playing with Koivu + PP.
Forget the 2 millions a year. He will sign at 3 millions MIN. I would offer him 3.2 and up to 3.5 if we are really in trouble.
I'd be willing to pay him 3 M not more. He's no superstar anymore. 5-6-7M goes to guys like Kovalev or Palfy, not Selanne, who's career is on the decline.

Old
06-16-2004, 07:03 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1

I agree with you.

Old
06-16-2004, 08:16 PM
HFXMooseHabs

No, point him in the direction of Toronto and then slam the door in his face.

Old
06-16-2004, 08:17 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by =CH=
No, point him in the direction of Toronto and then slam the door in his face.
Ok, then who will play with Koivu? Bulis?

Closed Thread