Notices

Jason Zucker

Old
11-21-2010, 11:33 AM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
Jason Zucker

Positive prospect news:

Quietly Jason Zucker is leading the WCHA in goals (9-3=12) after this weekends play. It appears his offensive game is coming along pretty well at DU.

It should be especially fun to watch this years World Jrs. since Zucker (USA), Larsson (Swe) and Granlund (Fin) should be among their clubs top offensive performers.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Positive prospect news:

Quietly Jason Zucker is leading the WCHA in goals (9-3=12) after this weekends play. It appears his offensive game is coming along pretty well at DU.

It should be especially fun to watch this years World Jrs. since Zucker (USA), Larsson (Swe) and Granlund (Fin) should be among their clubs top offensive performers.
Wow - that's good news.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 03:16 PM
melinko

Hopefully Granlund will be playing by the WJC.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

I know that in the Prospect Tracker thread, TP reached out to some Denver U fans about Zucker and they had nothing but praise for him. He sounds like he works his tail off in games and he's putting up some goals on top of that. I hope he continues to grow and develop at DU.

I know he's already got some gold medals on his resume from the World Juniors and I wish the Wild would have looked harder at a few other Americans from those teams as well. Not saying that we should only look at American players, but you can't help but be impressed by the new crop of American players popping up. I think a lot of the players from the recent and upcoming USA World Junior teams are going to have bright futures.

I can't remember the last NCAA prospect the Wild had that was doing this well, but, assuming he continues his success, does anybody think there's an ELC in the next couple years for Zucker?

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
nickschultzfan

Wait, are you saying that the Wild might have drafted its first goal scorer since Benny Pouliot?

That alone is awesome news.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Wait, are you saying that the Wild might have drafted its first goal scorer since Benny Pouliot?

That alone is awesome news.
Let's please stop the Pouliot comparisons there. We want this kid to succeed.

Old
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
saywut

To have made the U20 team last year tells alot about the work ethic of Zucker. He's probably not going to be a significant scorer at the NHL level, but the longer you allow a talent to develop the more confidence he gains in himself. If he stays in College, I'd certainly hope he remains there till at least the completion of his junior season. Of course, my CHL bias is never opposed to a player leaving College to play a year in the CHL, because of the tougher schedule, but that is the player's choice.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If he's AHL-eligible and wants to jump next year, maybe. But I also don't know if they want to start the FA ticker on him quite yet.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think you've got to let him stay at the very least two seasons. Preferably three. I wouldn't be opposed to four because to me he seems like a character guy that has potential to be a strong leader. May as well develop those skills by earning his stripes on a team with a great coach to learn from. Let him further his tools in the NCAA game. No need to rush the kid just to land him in the AHL.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I think you've got to let him stay at the very least two seasons. Preferably three. I wouldn't be opposed to four because to me he seems like a character guy that has potential to be a strong leader. May as well develop those skills by earning his stripes on a team with a great coach to learn from. Let him further his tools in the NCAA game. No need to rush the kid just to land him in the AHL.
If we use Derek Stepan as an example, he was a 2nd round pick in 2008. Played 2 seasons in the NCAA, then this year signed, but was expected to play for the Calgary Hitmen had he not made the Rangers out of camp. That's the kind of plan I'd like personally for Zucker. 2 years at Denver, sign, come to the NHL camp, based on his play decide if he's a viable option for the Wild in 2012-13. If he's not, send him to the CHL for a year before turning pro. Get him used to the longer schedule and tougher travel habits.

Old
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Because playing with the USNTDP or sending him to the AHL doesn't help with that? Plus why send him to the CHL just for an overage year? I don't see how that really helps development-wise and view more as regression.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Because playing with the USNTDP or sending him to the AHL doesn't help with that? Plus why send him to the CHL just for an overage year? I don't see how that really helps development-wise and view more as regression.
Won't take a contract year and he's able to come to our camp without using his own $$$. WHL(I say WHL because he's playing in Western USA) schedule/traveling/physicality are much more NHL-style than NCAA. Lots of players jump-ship from the NCAA to go to the CHL. Depends how the player feels really though. Maybe Zucker wants 4 years and a degree? ELC's are valuable, I'd rather not see him play 2 of them before he's 22.

I'll just bring up Gillies here. 7 points in 11 games with Houston as a confident 19 year old in 07-08. 7 points in 45 games with the Wild, losing all confidence in 08-09. 20 points in 72 games with Houston in 09-10 with little confidence. Confidence is everything. The only thing you have to worry about is losing interest. The WHL would be a new challenge from the NCAA if he's losing interest there.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
State of Hockey

I saw some of that DU/UMD game that was on TV a while back. Zucker looked very good, maybe the best player on the ice. He's got a chance, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
I wish the Wild would have looked harder at a few other Americans from those teams as well.
I think the knack on Americans is that they lack the scoring skill of other countries. They're effective players, but the mold is different. So I'm hesitant to invest too heavily in Americans in the draft.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 11-22-2010 at 09:17 PM.
State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Most of them also jump at 17, 18 or 19. I just feel that if someone is making in an impact against older competition like Zucker is, there's not a big reason to move him unless it's after this season. And even then, I'd think about the AHL because of the fast-track option which is being played out.

You are right about Zucker being Dub-eligible as he's from Nevada. Seattle currently holds his rights.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I saw some of that DSU/UMD game that was on TV a while back. Zucker looked very good, maybe the best player on the ice. He's got a chance, that's for sure.

I think the knack on Americans is that they lack the scoring skill of other countries. They're effective players, but the mold is different. So I'm hesitant to invest too heavily in Americans in the draft.
Agreed. Seeing a prospect is Canadian is a +1 for me, but whenever I see a Russian, Czech or (especially) Swedish flag by a player/prospect's name, there's an immediate I'm-gonna-look-into-that reaction that I go through. Funny, though -- per capita I bet more Russians have busted in the NHL than Americans. Could be a subconscious patriotric/pride thing why I like Swedes, Russians etc.

EDIT: Forgot to say, we're probably going to see more and more Americans making an impact in the NHL in the coming future, just not now. I think there'll be a day where there's not more than three times the amount of Canadians as Americans in the NHL.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

This thread made me want to take an in-depth look at Zucker, so I hope this helps (or at least wasn't a waste of time). Also SoHo, there's no DSU - it's the University of Denver or DU since a lot of schools in Big 12 country inverse.

Old
11-22-2010, 09:18 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Also SoHo, there's no DSU - it's the University of Denver or DU since a lot of schools in Big 12 country inverse.
Typo. Look at the keyboard and notice the close proximity of the letters "S" and "D" for the reason why.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
I saw some of that DU/UMD game that was on TV a while back. Zucker looked very good, maybe the best player on the ice. He's got a chance, that's for sure.

I'll give you scoring skill. I think that Canada/Europe really stands out when compared to the Americans, but I love how the Americans play. I guess what really brought this up is I just got done watching the USA-Canada game from the Olympics where we won (God Bless DVR) and I love how the Americans played that game and really, the entire Olympics.

I feel like Americans get a bad rap sometimes too because people automatically discount them as "not a scoring threat". It's definitely a different mold, but they have shown it's a mold that can effectively win hockey games. I don't think we need to invest too heavily in Americans, but rather give them a closer look than they normally get. The American players today are not the American players of 5-10 years ago.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
I'll give you scoring skill. I think that Canada/Europe really stands out when compared to the Americans, but I love how the Americans play. I guess what really brought this up is I just got done watching the USA-Canada game from the Olympics where we won (God Bless DVR) and I love how the Americans played that game and really, the entire Olympics.

I feel like Americans get a bad rap sometimes too because people automatically discount them as "not a scoring threat". It's definitely a different mold, but they have shown it's a mold that can effectively win hockey games. I don't think we need to invest too heavily in Americans, but rather give them a closer look than they normally get. The American players today are not the American players of 5-10 years ago.
For 25 posts you are quite wise, my son.

Old
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
For 25 posts you are quite wise, my son.
I try my best. I'm just glad I finally decided to sign up for the boards. Let that be a lesson to all you lurkers out there!

Old
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Typo. Look at the keyboard and notice the close proximity of the letters "S" and "D" for the reason why.
No worries, just wanted to point it out since it was bugging me.

Quote:
I try my best. I'm just glad I finally decided to sign up for the boards. Let that be a lesson to all you lurkers out there!
Quality is probably better than quantity, although I hope it's not. All those short and bad posts have to add up to something, right?

Old
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Quality is probably better than quantity, although I hope it's not. All those short and bad posts have to add up to something, right?
Mod powers.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

No, that was just being the best of no one.

Old
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Also, before I forget I came across a few Zucker interview clips when doing research

Old
11-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

He seems like a cool guy. Plays with a lot of heart, scores goals and it seems he has his head on straight. Strikes me as a "team guy" for sure.