HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber to Habs (0ffseason)

Old
11-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Shea Weber to Habs (0ffseason)

Considering that the habs already have many prospects would it be a good idea to Offer Sheet him ? I don't know if he wants to stay in Nashville but it would be useful to have him as our #1 D if Markov does not resign. And even if he does we have the money to go get him ? What do you guys think of this ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Seguins Dragon*

I think Shea Weber is a pipe dream... all 30 teams, including Nashville want this guy...

No chance Habs get him... probably stays in Nashville... he is their Captain after all.

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Considering he already makes $4.5M, it means the minimum compensation you'd give up would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick, and more likely he would fall into the two 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd round pick bracket.

You probably have the cap space if Markov and/or Hammer aren't resigned.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
He'll be re-signed.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Weber in Montreal is a pipe dream.... cause he's heading to New Jersey at the draft for Parise + Corrente/Eckford.

Book it

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
predfan24

Are you willing to give up 4 first round picks as the compensation to signing Weber to an offer sheet?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Are you willing to give up 4 first round picks as the compensation to signing Weber to an offer sheet?
Yeah, we suck at drafting first round anyways..

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Appropriate that you spelled off-season with a zero, because there's a zero percent chance that he's moved.

Also, if for some reason he was being moved, I think a few more teams would have a better offer than the Habs.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Appropriate that you spelled off-season with a zero, because there' zero chance that he's moved.

Also, if for some reason he was being moved, I think a few more teams would have a better offer than the Habs.
Seeing that this thread is talking about an offer sheet, I'm curious to why you feel this way?

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Seeing that this thread is talking about an offer sheet, I'm curious to why you feel this way?
RFA's don't have to be gotten via offer sheets (well, they DO, but they're rights can be had otherwise. The Kessel trade for example). If he was on the market, I would bet that Nashville would rather have established players than picks. That's all I'm saying.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
RFA's don't have to be gotten via offer sheets (well, they DO, but they're rights can be had otherwise. The Kessel trade for example). If he was on the market, I would bet that Nashville would rather have established players than picks. That's all I'm saying.
That is the point of an Offer Sheet is to give our picks for your player if you can't pay him the same amount. My proposal is not a traded it is an offer sheet. Read the title please.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Considering that the habs already have many prospects would it be a good idea to Offer Sheet him ? I don't know if he wants to stay in Nashville but it would be useful to have him as our #1 D if Markov does not resign. And even if he does we have the money to go get him ? What do you guys think of this ?
I hope you are willing to massively overpay because anything under $7M and Nashville will match. You are going to have to offer him some serious money to get Nashville to walk away.

All signs point towards Nashville signing Weber. Hopefully it gets done soon so these Weber proposals can stop

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Nashville will move heaven and earth to keep Weber. Its a pipe dream at this point. Although given Montreal's recent first round draft history, I wouldn't be that opposed to the idea of an offer sheet, even if it is 4 first rounders.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Lord Ahriman

5y/$7.72M per, would be 2 1st+ 2nd + 3rd

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I wouldn't. Well, not so much because of the 4 1st round picks, however. Last year that bracket slid up to $7,729,907. I mean, everybody likes Shea Weber. But the Habs have a lot of big contracts already, and even though we may be able to project a lot of cap space being available, I'd try to spend it more conservatively. $8M per, likely on a very long-term deal, is just not a contract I would touch. Never mind the 4 1st rounders.

It would also probably mean Markov was being let go. I don't know what effect his latest injury will have on him longterm or on his next contract. But I really really really believe we can sign him for a lot less than $8M per. We can build a better team with other signings and keeping our 4 1st rounders, I believe. Nothing against Weber in that. If Nashville has the cash to match at the lower brackets, then no team is going to get a sniff at Weber.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I hope you are willing to massively overpay because anything under $7M and Nashville will match. You are going to have to offer him some serious money to get Nashville to walk away.

All signs point towards Nashville signing Weber. Hopefully it gets done soon so these Weber proposals can stop
Will the Preds match a life time front loaded deal? like 10 years 70 million? that's a lot of money for the Preds.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Nashville would match unless it was in the four firsts bracket, and maybe even then. Either way, no one is going to be able to steal him away without paying through the nose, in money and picks.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Financially, Nashville will have the cash to sign Weber.

Currently Nashville is paying Weber $4.5 million. With Sullivan's expiring contract that's an additional 3.75 million which bring the kitty up to 8.25 million dollars. If you want to pay more than that in an offer sheet go for it. Nashville will gleefully take the 4 1st round picks, resign Suter, and move up Blum, Ellis, maybe Josi, and sign Ekholm to fill out the prospect roster.

It also depends on what team makes the offer sheet. If it's a central rival or a team who has a GM who isn't stupid, match. If it's a team who lives in the basement like a computer geek with his parents then nah. (Sorry if that's too personaly for some of you....)

(Note for those HFers who are going ZOMG! 4 1sts! That's spread out over 4 years unless the team makes a deal to get an extra first. So it's really the right to have 2 1st in the next 4 years. One of which happens to be a really crappy draft year.)

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Will the Preds match a life time front loaded deal? like 10 years 70 million? that's a lot of money for the Preds.
I'd say yes. Even if it's frontloaded.

People. This is SHEA MOTHER****ING WEBER. They'll match.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I am sorry, but this got me thinking...

Would this be allowed?? could big market teams potentially poach star players??

ie- offer Shea Weber 5 years at 35 million with the first 3 years paying him 10, 9, 8 million...

No chance ANY small market team would want to shell out 27 million dollars for a player in 3 years...

Interesting tactic we have yet to see be used... curious if it would work...

Send a offer sheet that would financially strap a small market team if they chose to accept it...

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I wouldn't. Well, not so much because of the 4 1st round picks, however. Last year that bracket slid up to $7,729,907. I mean, everybody likes Shea Weber. But the Habs have a lot of big contracts already, and even though we may be able to project a lot of cap space being available, I'd try to spend it more conservatively. $8M per, likely on a very long-term deal, is just not a contract I would touch. Never mind the 4 1st rounders.

It would also probably mean Markov was being let go. I don't know what effect his latest injury will have on him longterm or on his next contract. But I really really really believe we can sign him for a lot less than $8M per. We can build a better team with other signings and keeping our 4 1st rounders, I believe. Nothing against Weber in that. If Nashville has the cash to match at the lower brackets, then no team is going to get a sniff at Weber.
If it's the Habs I wonder what would happen if the Preds take 4 1st from Montreal and then sign Markov for cheaper than Weber and re-sign Suter?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Financially, Nashville will have the cash to sign Weber.

Currently Nashville is paying Weber $4.5 million. With Sullivan's expiring contract that's an additional 3.75 million which bring the kitty up to 8.25 million dollars. If you want to pay more than that in an offer sheet go for it. Nashville will gleefully take the 4 1st round picks, resign Suter, and move up Blum, Ellis, maybe Josi, and sign Ekholm to fill out the prospect roster.

It also depends on what team makes the offer sheet. If it's a central rival or a team who has a GM who isn't stupid, match. If it's a team who lives in the basement like a computer geek with his parents then nah. (Sorry if that's too personaly for some of you....)

(Note for those HFers who are going ZOMG! 4 1sts! That's spread out over 4 years unless the team makes a deal to get an extra first. So it's really the right to have 2 1st in the next 4 years. One of which happens to be a really crappy draft year.)
You have to subtract the cost of Sullivan's replacement. Even if its an ELC, that's still bringing that down to ~$7.6 (which is in the 2 1st, +2nd, +3rd bracket). I don't doubt that you can easily go back to the 4 1st bracket (both in terms of cap and actual cash), but Sullivan alone isn't how you do that.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:49 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
You'd have to factor in they don't take contracts bigger than 4.5 per, which would make the four firsts more ideal for them than a roster player with a big salary.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
I am sorry, but this got me thinking...

Would this be allowed?? could big market teams potentially poach star players??

ie- offer Shea Weber 5 years at 35 million with the first 3 years paying him 10, 9, 8 million...

No chance ANY small market team would want to shell out 27 million dollars for a player in 3 years...

Interesting tactic we have yet to see be used... curious if it would work...

Send a offer sheet that would financially strap a small market team if they chose to accept it...
a) If I recall a contract can not drop that significantly from one year to another year as per the CBA.

b) What do you think, that Nashville that is paying $4.5 million per year now can not afford a front loaded deal as long as it averages to a reasonable amount. What they would lose at the gate would more than make up for matching. And owners are all millionaires (some billionaires). None are so poor that they can not match this if forced to.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
cedouimet

I would defenitly give a 10 years/ 7.5M$ year to shea weber....even for 4 1st.

Hell, if your going to offer this amount to weber, its gives two 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd.

Just call nashville and tell them your about to offer sheet weber for this amount, and tell them you can trade them 3 1st for the rights...if they're not going to match, they'll probably take it...then you resign him for lower...lol

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote